Raphael Varane - Destined for CB Stardom

Re: Raphael Varane - Destined for CB Stardom

he is young but how good is he ? i can't see him play.

i know as a team Lens are doing very badly, so one would assume that he is not a good CB.

however as i said the team is doing badly he himself might be very good.

any clear up on this? its hard to say if any defender is good for lens given their position. conceding the 2nd most in the league means it is hard for me to make any judgement on him.

although any 17 year old playing regularly in the top 5 leagues in the world is surely special in some way.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is my first scouting report, so hopefully it is ok. Raphael Varane is a central defender who plays for Lens in Ligue 1. Just 17 years of age, he has a long illustrious career ahead. Whilst he ma

Re: Raphael Varane - Destined for CB Stardom Nice post, good info. I believe he has actually appeared in 5 league games this season (once as a sub) and also once in the Coupe de France. He has sta

Re: Raphael Varane - Destined for CB Stardom Thanks for your post and I very much agree with you. It's only a matter of time until he moves to a 'bigger' club, not to offend any Lens fans.

Hi there, apologies for the delay in reply.

I guess you can never be 100% certain if a player will 'make it' in football, and whilst Lens may be at the bottom end of Ligue 1, Varane is, like you mention, still only 17. Any 17 year old playing regularly in a very good league is impressive. Similarly, if you read about what has been said about Varane, all comments have been lauding the young lad and it's clear that bigger clubs such as Man Utd are sniffing around. After all it's only a few hundred thousand on SM and definitely worth a punt.

Hope this helps.

Hi there' date=' apologies for the delay in reply.

I guess you can never be 100% certain if a player will 'make it' in football, and whilst Lens may be at the bottom end of Ligue 1, Varane is, like you mention, still only 17. Any 17 year old playing regularly in a very good league is impressive. Similarly, if you read about what has been said about Varane, all comments have been lauding the young lad and it's clear that bigger clubs such as Man Utd are sniffing around. After all it's only a few hundred thousand on SM and definitely worth a punt.

Hope this helps.[/quote']

thanks for the great help and find :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys. Sorry for not posting for a while.

Just read (albeit in the Mirror) that United are apparently in advanced talks with Varane about signing him. That would be excellent news in my opinion!

he would be needed, ferdinand is getting no younger, evans isn't brillaint and is a ok squad player but not a starter. i dont trust the media but i can see this happening :)

Oh poop. I turned down the opportunity to sign him for my Grimsby side when he was added to the database because another player (Darlington manager -seems like a nice bloke) also went in for him and I didn't want to be a git and trump his bid.

Looks like I might have dropped a clanger.

• 2 weeks later...

Good news? I don't wanna see him rotting on the bench of MU. Hope he stays in Ligue 1 for a while.

Good news? I don't wanna see him rotting on the bench of MU. Hope he stays in Ligue 1 for a while.

why would he rot on the bench?

people said that about hernandez and smalling.

ferdinand is injury prone, evans is just not very good.

if varane has the talent and earns a spot he can get a fair bit of game time.

if fergie could trust varane and smalling they could take part in the lesser games allowing vidic and ferdinand to rest.

or they could start cup games. varane, if he earns it could easily have a big part in man united's season.

if he dosnt play well than yes he will struggle to displace the best defence in the world. but he has to earn it.

he could even go out on loan.

no need to be so negative !

I am not negative, not at all. But a guy at the age of 18 will hardly be able to play consistently - and at MU you have to do so to find your way into the squad.

I can still remember Neven Subotic 18 months ago: He was shaky and made more mistakes than all english GKs together ;). At a club like Bayern he would have found himself sitting on the bench (just like Badstuber) - but at Dortmund the trainer gave him the chance to develop. Now he and Hummels are one of the best CB-pairs in Europe.

For a young player it is often easier to build up their mental strength at a club with less pressure before he moves on. And playing only in fairly easy matches doesn't help too much - competing with the best of your league and learn from your mistakes, that's the way most players can improve the best.

Chicharito was 22 and had the experience of a couple of seasons, Varane is 18 and it is his first season on a professional level - there is a huge difference between these guys.

Of course: He might be able to handle the pressure and replace Ferdinand within 12 months. But as this is very unlikely and players of his age need a lot of practise to improve and learn I would like to see him play at a smaller club with a trainer taking care of his young guns (just like Klopp at Dortmund or Heynkes at Leverkusen).

You still might be right, it is just my personal opinion.

For a young player it is often easier to build up their mental strength at a club with less pressure before he moves on. And playing only in fairly easy matches doesn't help too much - competing with the best of your league and learn from your mistakes' date=' that's the way most players can improve the best.

Chicharito was 22 and had the experience of a couple of seasons, Varane is 18 and it is his first season on a professional level - there is a huge difference between these guys.

Of course: He might be able to handle the pressure and replace Ferdinand within 12 months. But as this is very unlikely and players of his age need a lot of practise to improve and learn I would like to see him play at a smaller club with a trainer taking care of his young guns (just like Klopp at Dortmund or Heynkes at Leverkusen).

You still might be right, it is just my personal opinion.[/quote']

firstly greatly debated and argued point. good to see on here !

firstly yes, varane will not be gifted anything. vidic, ferdinand, o'shea, smalling and evans ahead of him he will have to play well to get in.

and excellent point, regular games help you improve as opposed to one rubbish game and being dropped for 3 months.

varane however could get games as i explained. it is his first season in football but he is / was? a regular for lens. he is not un-used to reasonably high level football and a young age.

and yes exactly you said it: you doubt he will get into ferdinands spot in 12 months. exactly what is wrong with football. im sure you agree with me from the way you come across.

if varane moves we cant expect instant results, he needs time. if he moves 2 years down the line he might get a regular place.

smalling and herndaez are exeptions and just ridiculously talented and took their chances superbly. no offence to varane, he probably wont do that. not because he isnt good but just because its very rare.

i agree with no in the sense that i look at the best young prospects.

rodwell, jones. good dm/cb prospects and they get regular game time and have deveolped immensely. i think varane if he is bought should be loaned out.

that said if fergie has plans for him i know he will make the best of varane. if he dosnt send him out on loan he plans to use him.

also look at smalling when he first came, vidic and smalling = rock.

evans and smalling = joke. got battered by bottom of the league west ham 4-0.

varane could learn a lot by being arround the best cb partnership in the world arguably !

either way i am not a united supporter, but i trust ferguson would do the best for him :)

i like your argument though, really well explained and a good debate :)

there is no right answer: but i dont worry for varane's future because he isnt going to city where they could just buy new players and freeze him out the squad, he is linked to a more stable team :)

i especially agree and didnt think of it before, but yeah hummels etc come to form given regular game time. i never thought of that before and a brilliant point.

Hey guys.

I understand your point on him 'rotting on the bench' and I agree it's unlikely that he would play. Anyway, I hear if a deal is agreed, then Varane may go on loan to a french club (possibly PSG) although Fergie would prefer him to get experience in English football!

Hey guys.

I understand your point on him 'rotting on the bench' and I agree it's unlikely that he would play. Anyway' date=' I hear if a deal is agreed, then Varane may go on loan to a french club (possibly PSG) although Fergie would prefer him to get experience in English football![/quote']

a lower league epl team could have him.

im thinking wolves. anybody is better than mancienne tbh.

So here's a question, while he looks like he's moving SOMEWHERE, Lille if not Man Utd, for now, what's going to happen to his rating in the forthcoming ratings change?

He played 21(+1) first team games this season, his first season, suggesting that he'll rise from his current 80, yet Lens got relegated, which might counteract any rise.

Forget what he'll be in the future, what's he going to be at after the forthcoming ratings change? (I ask 'cos at present in one of my set-ups he represents 40% of my squad's value, so I'd like to sell him if he will drop and hold onto him if he's going to rise in the near future...)

So here's a question' date=' while he looks like he's moving SOMEWHERE, Lille if not Man Utd, for now, what's going to happen to his rating in the forthcoming ratings change?

He played 21(+1) first team games this season, his first season, suggesting that he'll rise from his current 80, yet Lens got relegated, which might counteract any rise.

Forget what he'll be in the future, what's he going to be at after the forthcoming ratings change? (I ask 'cos at present in one of my set-ups he represents 40% of my squad's value, so I'd like to sell him if he will drop and hold onto him if he's going to rise in the near future...)

He'll definitely rise +2-+4 even with Lens dropping. Selling him afterwards is your perogative B)