Sign in to follow this  
Seftinho

The Official Formula 1 Thread

New season is just a couple of months away and we shall have three British drivers this year, with 24 year old Scot Paul Di Resta being named one of Force India's drivers. None of the top 4 teams have made any changes, whilst Renault are hoping to be more competitive this year. Expect the same sort of names as last year to contend both Championships.

All teams but Hispania have confirmd both drivers. The new drivers this year are Di Resta, Maldonado, Perez and D'Ambrosio whilst Karthikeyan returns to the sport after five years out. Senna, Yamamoto, Hulkenberg and Di Grassi have all been dropped. Kubica sits out after a rallying accident with Heidfeld stepping in. Luizzi is expected to be named Hispania's second driver.

Teams and Drivers:

NB: Robert Kubica will sit out at least the start of the season due to a major Rallying accident. He is not expected to be back for the rest of the season. Nick Heidfeld will take his place.

Red Bull Racing

1 Sebastian Vettel

2 Mark Webber

McLaren Mercedes

3 Lewis Hamilton

4 Jenson Button

Scuderia Ferrari

5 Fernando Alonso

6 Felipe Massa

Mercedes GP Petronas

7 Michael Schumacher

8 Nico Rosberg

Lotus Renault GP

9 Nick Heidfeld (Robert Kubica injured)

10 Vitaly Petrov

Williams

11 Rubens Barrichello

12 Pastor Maldonado

Force India

13 Adrian Sutil

14 Paul di Resta

Sauber

15 Kamui Kobayashi

16 Sergio Pérez

Scuderia Toro Rosso

17 Sébastien Buemi

18 Jaime Alguersuari

Team Lotus

19 Jarno Trulli

20 Heikki Kovalainen

Hispania Racing

21 Narain Karthikeyan

22 TBA

Virgin Racing

23 Timo Glock

24 Jérôme d'Ambrosio

2011 Calendar:

13/03 Bahrain (Cancelled)

27/03 Australia

10/04 Malaysia

17/04 China

08/05 Turkey

22/05 Spain

29/05 Monaco

12/06 Canada

26/06 Europe (Valencia)

10/07 Britain

24/07 Germany

31/07 Hungary

28/08 Belgium

11/09 Italy

25/09 Singapore

09/10 Japan

16/10 Korea

30/10 India (subject to approval)

13/11 U.A.E.

27/11 Brazil

Re: Official 2011 Formula 1 Thread

Cancelling the Bahrain GP was the right thing to do as even though security is reportedly very tight during the weekends when there is no unrest, at the present time I am sure the authorities could not commit to matching that level of security this year with the incidents that have been unfolding in Manama.

I have heard it may be rescheduled sometime in November between Abu Dhabi and Sao Paulo which on the one hand makes sense as Abu Dhabi - Manama is roughly the same distance London - Blackpool by car (and Abu Dhabi - Sakhir is slighly less) but it would mean three consecutive weekends of racing which has never been done before and would put a huge strain on teams.

It looks at the moment as though there is no clear pace setter in the tests at the moment although they are not meant to be a good indicator of raw pace.

4 days untill the first qualifying session of the season begins and I. CAN. NOT. WAIT

Mclaren say they'll be a second quicker than they were in pre season testing as they've got a new floor and exhaust system, i really hope they are as i dont think i can cope with another below par season from them.

In other news just booked my Silverstone tickets :D :D

Looks like McLaren are going to struggle again at the start of this season. Red Bull are looking the fastest once again, Mercedes and Ferrari will be their main contenders, with McLaren trailing behind unless this "gamble" pays off (chances are it won't). Lotus Renault will be a threat. I can't wait to see how Di Resta fares too.

Looks like McLaren are going to struggle again at the start of this season. Red Bull are looking the fastest once again' date=' Mercedes and Ferrari will be their main contenders, with McLaren trailing behind unless this "gamble" pays off (chances are it won't). Lotus Renault will be a threat. I can't wait to see how Di Resta fares too.[/quote']

I actually think they'll be up there, Maybe not competing for the race win but i expect them to battling for a Podium.....

It was a decent qualifying session this morning although to be honest Vettel was never troubled by any of his main rivals. I can't understand how Webber was almost a full second slower than Vettel in the same car and it was a little disappointing that Hamilton managed to pip him to second spot. Ferrari were quite poor given that they were supposedly right up Red Bull's double diffuser in testing (although I think double diffusers are banned now...:P)

The 107% rule looks to be getting some immediate action as the two Hispania drivers were both above the cut off point. I thought Martin Brundle an David Coulthard did fairly well in the commentary given that they are both ex drivers and essentially will know a lot more about the cars than Johnathan Legard of James Allen did.

I actually think they'll be up there' date=' Maybe not competing for the race win but i expect them to battling for a Podium.....[/quote']

:D

I actually can't stand Vettel and i would gladly stick that finger that he's always sticks up in the air when he's won or got pole somewhere where the sun doesnt shine.

I hope A few cars get past him at start tomorrow otherwise it's just going to be a formality.

Got a bet on Vettel to win tomorrow at 4/6. My past knowledge tells me that whoever qualifies first usually wins the race. And Vettel isn't the one to mess up. Unless there's a massive crash at the first corner, I'd expect Vettel to win it.

Vettel had an easy race today. Once he pitted for fresh tyres Hamilton couldn't keep up with him and at the end reliability obviously hampered any chance of him trying to chase him down. Not really sure why Button didn't let Massa through straightaway as even if you are forced off the racing line (which he wasn't) and gain an advantage you have to give the position back. I guess it was through good driving that got him back in front after he served his drive through penalty.

The one thing that I didn't like was the huge amount of praise the guys decided to heap on Paul Di Resta when Sergio Perez actually finished higher up the field, albeit probably in a quicker car.

Vettel had an easy race today. Once he pitted for fresh tyres Hamilton couldn't keep up with him and at the end reliability obviously hampered any chance of him trying to chase him down. Not really sure why Button didn't let Massa through straightaway as even if you are forced off the racing line (which he wasn't) and gain an advantage you have to give the position back. I guess it was through good driving that got him back in front after he served his drive through penalty.

The one thing that I didn't like was the huge amount of praise the guys decided to heap on Paul Di Resta when Sergio Perez actually finished higher up the field' date=' albeit probably in a quicker car.[/b']

Typical British media though.

Disappointed in what Rubens did today, ruining all the hardwork he did to climb up the field! Probably thought it was Schumacher he was smacking. :P

The one thing that I didn't like was the huge amount of praise the guys decided to heap on Paul Di Resta when Sergio Perez actually finished higher up the field' date=' albeit probably in a quicker car.[/quote']

Hamilton was actually gaining on him up until the pit stop, whereby Hamilton had the problem underneath his car. Could have been a lot closer if not for that.

And they barely mentioned Di Resta toward the end, they were praising Perez far more. :confused:

Really enjoyed the race today tried to keep myself away from the result until the re run on BBC but the tv was flicked onto Sky sports news by my brother and all was revealed B)

I felt Vettle deserved the win I cant believe neither of the Red bulls had the boost for the entire race and still managed to run at that pace , it looks like another season of Ferrari trying to bridge the gap between them and Red-bull and Mclaren.

Felt sorry for Rosberg when he was retired by a stupid Rubens baricello move in my opinion but I'm sure him and Schumacher who had a shocker this weekend can be up around the podiums if they can get the car working.

Jenson button ruined his race when he didn't let Massa back past him as I feel if he hadn't of done that he could of been on the podium. What was up with Massa today anyway he was well off the pace?

So yeah so far I'm loving everything from the tiers to the racing itself and I feel a very good season on coming with hopefully the main field pullying closer to the leaders. The rookies especially Perez looked brilliant especially when he was chasing down Alonso and Di Resta looked good in the early part of the race.

Predictions based on today would have to be Vettle to win the title again however with the teams developing all the time who knows who will have the strongest car come mid season ...

Ashh last season it was McLaren trying to catch The "Drinks company" and ferrari...

Anyway onto the race, i would say it was more or less a 58 lap parade. As soon as vettel got through the first corner it was always going to be a formality.

I also understand that Red bull had a type of "Mini kers" system where they can use it to get away from the line and then they race without it as Newey wasn't prepared to change the aero package from last year to fit the whole system in.

I expect McLaren to be closer in Malaysia though.

Ashh last season it was McLaren trying to catch The "Drinks company" and ferrari...

Anyway onto the race' date=' i would say it was more or less a 58 lap parade. As soon as vettel got through the first corner it was always going to be a formality.

I also understand that Red bull had a type of "Mini kers" system where they can use it to get away from the line and then they race without it as Newey wasn't prepared to change the aero package from last year to fit the whole system in.

I expect McLaren to be closer in Malaysia though.[/quote']

No it wasn't.

McLaren started off pretty well, relative to the other cars at least, with Button taking advantage of Red Bull's reliability issues to take a couple of early wins. Ferrari were behind for a large part of the season until around about when Hamilton had back-to-back DNF's and Alonso started winning a few races.

McLaren were never behind Ferrari once in the Constructor's Championship.

No it wasn't.

McLaren started off pretty well' date=' relative to the other cars at least, with Button taking advantage of Red Bull's reliability issues to take a couple of early wins. Ferrari were behind for a large part of the season until around about when Hamilton had back-to-back DNF's and Alonso started winning a few races.

McLaren were never behind Ferrari once in the Constructor's Championship.[/quote']

I believe you are right Luke!!:D:D

Just found this thread, im a big fan of F1 so im delighted there is a thread for this season.

I enjoyed the opening race on Sunday, I was really impressed with Renault, especially Petrov - it looks like he has matured immensely and has stepped up to the plate to fill Kubica's place for this season. I don't know whether Heidfield had a technical problem because his 14th place finish was embarrassing, considering him and Petrov had the same car.

My team McLaren had a good result, looks like team have really worked hard to improve the car, i just wish Button had let Massa through as i think he could of finished a lot higher if he hadn't received the drive through penalty. I think McLaren can kick on now and really challenge Red Bull, as the Ferrari's are looking surprisingly slow.

Bring on Malaysia!! :D

Talking about Petrov, did anyone else get increasingly annoyed at Brundle for continuously mentioning "how well Kubica could be doing"? Personally I don't think he would really have challenged Hamilton and he certainly wouldn't have beaten Vettel. Credit where it's due - Petrov had a sterling race and had Kubica been there, he probably wouldn't have beaten him.

Talking about Petrov' date=' did anyone else get increasingly annoyed at Brundle for continuously mentioning "how well Kubica could be doing"? Personally I don't think he would really have challenged Hamilton and he certainly wouldn't have beaten Vettel. Credit where it's due - Petrov had a sterling race and had Kubica been there, he probably wouldn't have beaten him.[/quote']

Couldnt agree more Seftinho, the Renault car was never going to touch Hamilton or Vettel and i doubt Kubica would of done any better. Going by what i saw on Sunday, if Petrov maintains this level of performance and Renault continue to improve the car, he will be challenging for podiums most weekends.

Talking about commentary im so glad Legard has gone, thought Coulthard did a much better job and he didn't mix any of the drivers up!!

Couldnt agree more Seftinho' date=' the Renault car was never going to touch Hamilton or Vettel and i doubt Kubica would of done any better. Going by what i saw on Sunday, if Petrov maintains this level of performance and Renault continue to improve the car, he will be challenging for podiums most weekends.

Talking about commentary im so glad Legard has gone, thought Coulthard did a much better job and he didn't mix any of the drivers up!![/quote']

Is Coulthard going to be a permanent fixture on the commentary team?

I did like Legard actually, some of the stuff he came out with was quite funny, even if wrong. But I think I prefer DC.

Is Coulthard going to be a permanent fixture on the commentary team?

I did like Legard actually' date=' some of the stuff he came out with was quite funny, even if wrong. But I think I prefer DC.[/quote']

Yes coulthrad's permanent.