Wales vs England, 26th March 2011

swanseajack

In the biggest game for the Welsh national team since probably the last time we played England, Wales face England at the Millenium Stadium on March 26th.

Looking forward to the game a lot, got the ticket, going to go up with some mates onto the train to Cardiff on the day and watch the game. And although England fans will probably think the games already won, we've got Gareth Bale ... yes we've got Gareth Bale and i'm optomistic that there's a possibility we could get something from the game.

Hopefull Welsh XI:

W. Hennesey

C. Gunter, J. Collins, A. Williams ©, S. Ricketts

C. Bellamy, A.Ramsey, A. King, D. Vaughan, G. Bale

S. Church

Probable England XI:

J. Hart

G. Johnson, J. Terry, R. Ferdinand ©, A. Cole

T. Walcott, S. Gerrard, J. Wilshere, A. Johnson

W. Rooney, A. Carroll

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re: Wales vs England, 26th March 2011

Easy england win' date=' not even a big game for me.[/quote']

You can say that all you like, but obviously you can see why it would be a big game for the Welsh, and you know what the England fans who turn up will believe it's a big game. It'll have a great atmosphere, and i can see us being able to knick something from the game proving Gareth Bale is playing like he usually does and Aaron Ramsey and Ashley Williams play like they usually do for Wales.

Reminds me why i cant stand the english..

Will you be going? I presume it'll be rather easy for the Cardiff boys to go down' date=' unlike myself as i'll have to catch a train. Hopefully they'll be no problems between the Swansea and Cardiff fans, and ofcourse the England fans.

[b']EDIT:[/b] And MFC, were not jealous, i think every English football supporter is jealous that Gareth Bale is playing for Wales and not England :P

Will you be going? I presume it'll be rather easy for the Cardiff boys to go down' date=' unlike myself as i'll have to catch a train. Hopefully they'll be no problems between the Swansea and Cardiff fans, and ofcourse the England fans.

[b']EDIT:[/b] And MFC, were not jealous, i think every English football supporter is jealous that Gareth Bale is playing for Wales and not England :P

Yeh il be there.. with my little pick and shovel il be there :P lol

Train shouldnt be that bad mind, bring you right out on top of the stadium practically. Plus i think times at these we can put our differences aside to take on the common enemy :D

Let's be honest... Your only big threat is Bale. He's a very big threat as no English RB seems competent at defending but I don't think he's enough to win you the game. England will hopefully be back to full force with a goalscoring Rooney, confident Carroll and Gerrard and probably a fit Lampard back. I don't know how you've predicted the line-ups SJ... the game's nearly 2 months away and AJ's injured for most (or all of) that time. I'd like to see Albrighton given a chance and maybe Bent...

You say only Stupot as in its just one man' date=' dont forget the same man single handily took the European champions apart (twice), you'll probably have Johnson right back, decent player but if Bale is showing Maicon up, and burning past Rafael and every other RB in the premier league then I got a little feeling he may single handily do it agin lol. Besides dont forget Bellamy, who was City's best player last season, also Ramsey, with the youth in our midfield we'll run legs around old men Gerrard and Lampard lol ;)[/quote']

It was intended as a little wind-up :P I think we should play Milner on the right flank to offer Johnson a bit of protection. Bale would maul Johnson and Walcott. Bellamy's not been Cardiff's best player this season. He's good but I certainly don't think he'll be as effective as he was under Hughes at City. I like Ramsey but I doubt he'll be completely match fit and Gerrard and Lampard are far better.

EDIT: Your post appears to have disappeared...

It was intended as a little wind-up :P I think we should play Milner on the right flank to offer Johnson a bit of protection. Bale would maul Johnson and Walcott. Bellamy's not been Cardiff's best player this season. He's good but I certainly don't think he'll be as effective as he was under Hughes at City. I like Ramsey but I doubt he'll be completely match fit and Gerrard and Lampard are far better.

Yeah disappeared as im half asleep and didnt really read you first post correctly, and read back through, and seen you said half of what I already said so I deleted it.

Let's be honest... Your only big threat is Bale. He's a very big threat as no English RB seems competent at defending but I don't think he's enough to win you the game. England will hopefully be back to full force with a goalscoring Rooney' date=' confident Carroll and Gerrard and probably a fit Lampard back. I don't know how you've predicted the line-ups SJ... the game's nearly 2 months away and AJ's injured for most (or all of) that time. I'd like to see Albrighton given a chance and maybe Bent...[/quote']

It's all how they play on the international stage, as England found out at the World cup.

Bale is a really big threat, especially up against Glen Johnson and if we can win that area of the pitch then we can become a threat to England at times in the game which most sides don't do at all.

Bellamy's awful for Wales, doubt he'll pick up the "match fitness" to play. He cost us the game against Hungary in the last notable fixture for Wales with two sitters blown and we've just got to hope he can have a one off game for Wales - god knows the last time that was.

Ramsey won us the last home international against Scotland, and for Wales he's a very good player. He will definatly be match fit, seeing as he's been fit and playing football since December and i can't see you playing a DM so he can get in behind the England defence and cause problems.

Ashley Williams is probably a player your not even thinking about, but he's the best centre-back in the Championship and most lower-tier Premiership clubs are in for him and even Wolfsburg abroad and i'm very relieved that he's still a Swansea player. For Wales he plays just as good, he's the most consistant player in the Wales team with Ramsey's injuries, Bellamy's utter rubbish for Wales and Bale's odd off game and for me, and for Wales i feel he'll beable to fully mark Wayne Rooney throughout the game. You might think that's a ridicolous statement, but he did exactly the same to the likes of Van Nistelrooy, Pavluchenko & Klose in the recent bigger games Wales have played in.

Also i wouldn't underestimate the likes of David Vaughan and the third centre-midfielder (whether it's Joe Allen, Andy King or Joe Ledley) and Jack Collison could be fit for the game which would be a real boost. Obviously you've got the big names, but we've got some cracking gems.

It's all how they play on the international stage' date=' as England found out at the World cup.

Bale is a really big threat, especially up against Glen Johnson and if we can win that area of the pitch then we can become a threat to England at times in the game which most sides don't do at all.

Bellamy's awful for Wales, doubt he'll pick up the "match fitness" to play. He cost us the game against Hungary in the last notable fixture for Wales with two sitters blown and we've just got to hope he can have a one off game for Wales - god knows the last time that was.

Ramsey won us the last home international against Scotland, and for Wales he's a very good player. He will definatly be match fit, seeing as he's been fit and playing football since December and i can't see you playing a DM so he can get in behind the England defence and cause problems.

Ashley Williams is probably a player your not even thinking about, but he's the best centre-back in the Championship and most lower-tier Premiership clubs are in for him and even Wolfsburg abroad and i'm very relieved that he's still a Swansea player. For Wales he plays just as good, he's the most consistant player in the Wales team with Ramsey's injuries, Bellamy's utter rubbish for Wales and Bale's odd off game and for me, and for Wales i feel he'll beable to fully mark Wayne Rooney throughout the game. You might think that's a ridicolous statement, but he did exactly the same to the likes of Van Nistelrooy, Pavluchenko & Klose in the recent bigger games Wales have played in.

Also i wouldn't underestimate the likes of David Vaughan and the third centre-midfielder (whether it's Joe Allen, Andy King or Joe Ledley) and Jack Collison could be fit for the game which would be a real boost. Obviously you've got the big names, but we've got some cracking gems.[/quote']

I realise that and I'm not underestimating you but comparing Ramsey to Gerrard, Bellamy to Rooney, Williams to Ferdinand; it's like comparing chalk and cheese. Bale will be a threat and it'll be interesting to see how you play it. Your central midfielders may be instructed to man mark Gerrard, Lampard (or other) and Rooney who I suspect will drop off his partner in a 442 and you'll try and hold and counter down the left. Putting men forward inevitably leaves you weaker at the back and England do have goalscorers who are coming back into form.

EDIT: And MFC' date=' were not jealous, i think every English football supporter is jealous that Gareth Bale is playing for Wales and not England :P[/quote']

Not Jealous at all , Bale is good but not top class just yet. ;)

Should be a good game , Not entirely sure if Ramsey could handle it though.

Not Jealous at all ' date=' Bale is good but not top class just yet. ;)

Should be a good game , Not entirely sure if Ramsey could handle it though.[/quote']

Bit weird considering about 99% of people on this forum were crying out for him to be a 92+ during the rating changes ;)

Ramseys a brilliant little player, seems to start off slow but grows in confidence more and more as the game goes along and starts to find those pockets of space to drift into and pick the ball up in!

Will be a much closer match than alot of you English fans seem to think tbh, i wouldnt be suprised to see us holding you guys to a draw :)

Bit weird considering about 99% of people on this forum were crying out for him to be a 92+ during the rating changes ;)

Ramseys a brilliant little player' date=' seems to start off slow but grows in confidence more and more as the game goes along and starts to find those pockets of space to drift into and pick the ball up in!

Will be a much closer match than alot of you English fans seem to think tbh, i wouldnt be suprised to see us holding you guys to a draw :)[/quote']

Ratings mean nothing ;) and i guess i'm the 1% saying he should stay at 90 untill he actually plays amazing every game , for now average 90.

Wouldnt be surprised with a draw either , Only Seen Ramsey play 45 mins for our reserves didnt look good but then again it was his 1st game back , Just hope that he can come back brilliant and send Denilson packing.

Ramseys a brilliant little player' date=' seems to start off slow but grows in confidence more and more as the game goes along and starts to find those pockets of space to drift into and pick the ball up in!

Will be a much closer match than alot of you English fans seem to think tbh, i wouldnt be suprised to see us holding you guys to a draw :)[/quote']

No sane people were crying out for that ;) He's better than any of England's wingers but he'll be far from the best player on the pitch in the game.

I like Ramsey and reckon he'll turn out better than Wilshere (but that's not a debate for here). However, he's still recovering really as he's hardly played since coming back. He will be top quality though.

Ratings mean nothing ;) and i guess i'm the 1% saying he should stay at 90 untill he actually plays amazing every game ' date=' for now average 90.

Wouldnt be surprised with a draw either , Only Seen Ramsey play 45 mins for our reserves didnt look good but then again it was his 1st game back , Just hope that he can come back brilliant and send Denilson packing.[/quote']

No sane people were crying out for that ;) He's better than any of England's wingers but he'll be far from the best player on the pitch in the game.

I like Ramsey and reckon he'll turn out better than Wilshere (but that's not a debate for here). However' date=' he's still recovering really as he's hardly played since coming back. He will be top quality though.[/quote']

You pair must be a few of the 'sane' people then not wanting and astronomical rise from him :P

The games not till the 26th of March so thatl give him plenty of time to get back to his former self (well i hope with him being on loan at Cardiff lol)

Any of you guys going to the match? Or just armchair fans ;):D

Only nuggets wanted Bale to go higher than 90.

People just bought into the Bale hype :rolleyes:

Honestly dont care about this game, well i do. But not because its vs Wales.

Ill be annoyed if we lose, but we should win, easily really :o

Only nuggets wanted Bale to go higher than 90.

People just bought into the Bale hype :rolleyes:

Honestly dont care about this game' date=' well i do. But not because its vs Wales.

[b']Ill be annoyed if we lose, but we should win, easily really :o[/b]

Well based on the world rankings with you being 6th and us being all the way down in 116th B) you should be sticking 4 or 5 past us on paper.. but as they say football isnt played on paper lol

And im sure SJ will agree we have solid if not spectacular players who can do a good job i.e. Williams, Ramsey, Collison who will make you guys work for any victory you may get. I for one am looking forward to the game, and as i mentioned below i wouldnt be suprised to see us frustrate you to no end with how we set up and manage to snag a point :D

Well based on the world rankings with you being 6th and us being all the way down in 116th B) you should be sticking 4 or 5 past us on paper.. but as they say football isnt played on paper lol

And im sure SJ will agree we have solid if not spectacular players who can do a good job i.e. Williams' date=' Ramsey, Collison who will make you guys work for any victory you may get. I for one am looking forward to the game, and as i mentioned below i wouldnt be suprised to see us frustrate you to no end and manage to snag a point :D[/quote']

No football isnt on paper but even with our results over the last 12 months, look at the teams you have been losing to and dropping points against ?

We are far from a great footballing side, but lets be truthful here you arent very good :o

You team is full of championship players, its like Manchester United playing Swansea.

I think your solid if not spectacular is sugar coating these players, they play in the championship...... This is international football. Its not good enough.

The only thing that is going to beat England or take a point of England is England. This isnt arrogance, its assessing the situation on merit, statistics and form.

Out of interest why are you so confident of snatching a point from us when you cant do that against Bulgaria, Montengero and Switzerland, your three most recent games ?

No football isnt on paper but even with our results over the last 12 months' date=' look at the teams you have been losing to and dropping points against ?

We are far from a great footballing side, but lets be truthful here you arent very good :o

You team is full of championship players, its like Manchester United playing Swansea.

I think your solid if not spectacular is sugar coating these players, they play in the championship...... This is international football. Its not good enough.

The only thing that is going to beat England or take a point of England is England. This isnt arrogance, its assessing the situation on merit, statistics and form.

Out of interest why are you so confident of snatching a point from us when you cant do that against Bulgaria, Montengero and Switzerland, your three most recent games ?[/quote']

All equally valid points which i cant really disagree with :)

And tbh mate im not entirely sure, i got a feeling that your lot will show up with the 'we'll walkover wales' mentality which most of you English fans already have (not a dig there but thats generally the mindset of your fans.) I just reckon we'll catch you out tbh, either a 0-0 or a 1-1 as far as i can see.

When we play the minnows teams despite how we actually perfrom lol were usually expected to win and we play pretty bloody dire. But in the big matches when were expected to get stuffed comfortabley we always seem to play better in that role, the classic underdogs. And couple that with you lot seemingly planning your night out after claiming all 3 points against us :P i think we'll pull off a shock and snatch a point.

I realise that and I'm not underestimating you but comparing Ramsey to Gerrard' date=' Bellamy to Rooney, Williams to Ferdinand; it's like comparing chalk and cheese. Bale will be a threat and it'll be interesting to see how you play it. Your central midfielders may be instructed to man mark Gerrard, Lampard (or other) and Rooney who I suspect will drop off his partner in a 442 and you'll try and hold and counter down the left. Putting men forward inevitably leaves you weaker at the back and England do have goalscorers who are coming back into form.[/quote']

Ok first of all, why would you compare Bellamy to Rooney, Bellamy's not even in the right-position and when Bellamy's playing for Wales he's one of our weaker players as he never turns up, i'm just hoping he has a one off good performance.

Williams has been as good if not better then Bale when playing for Wales, and i think even though he'll have a lot more to do then Ferdinand he'll do very well against England.

We've got Churchy upfront, he doesn't score often but in the midfield we've got Ramsey, Bale and possibly Bellamy who'll be our main scorers.

And im sure SJ will agree we have solid if not spectacular players who can do a good job i.e. Williams' date=' Ramsey, Collison who will make you guys work for any victory you may get. I for one am looking forward to the game, and as i mentioned below i wouldnt be suprised to see us frustrate you to no end with how we set up and manage to snag a point :D[/quote']

Were a lot better than some of the teams above us in the rankings, so we have the pptential to improve quickly if the performances come in.

Williams and Ramsey may look pretty average, but for Wales the are given the chance to shine and they can make a big impact.

No football isnt on paper but even with our results over the last 12 months' date=' look at the teams you have been losing to and dropping points against ?[/b']

Out of interest why are you so confident of snatching a point from us when you cant do that against Bulgaria, Montengero and Switzerland, your three most recent games ?

1. Anything can happen on the night.

2. What like Leeds playing Arsenal, Ipswich playing Arsenal and Man. City playing Notts County :rolleyes:

3. This is our likely line up providing Collison is fit: Hennesey, Collins, Williams, Gunter, Ricketts, Vaughan, Ramsey, Collison, Bale, Bellamy & Church

That's 6 Premiership, two high profile championship loans and 3 Championship players. And by the time we play England, Ramsey should be at Arsenal so that'll be 7 premiership players - so no were not based on Championship players (well at the moment)

Archived