• Capped at 200

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Squad Sizes

Re: Squad Sizes Feeling a bit despondent about all of this and whether SM is actually worth playing anymore. The fun has been ripped out of the game for me and fellow coaches don't understand my stra

Re: Squad Caps

Excuse me but I never made any suggestion at all about why they're empty...I just asked you to tell us why you think they're empty. :)
Please enlighten us to what you think the reason is for some game worlds being almost empty.

I previously said No to this statement "Squad sizes is the biggest reason that most gameworlds are almost empty."

& you then asked

Please enlighten us to what you think the reason is for some game worlds being almost empty.

To me sounded like you were asking a question that i wouldn't have an answer to or an answer you would just laugh off' date=' If you had being following the thread (which i'm sure you have been) [i'](other squad cap thread :P)[/i] you'd already have seen my answer to this question & ammendments SM could make to solve the issue, this was several months ago now and since then the problim has got alot worse.

This was an important question because people falsely believe a squad cap will solve all the problims they want fixed, people take issue with me showing them exactly the outcome if a cap was imposed, they oppose my viewpoint despite to me clearly showing what effect a cap would have, not everyone, alot see sense with what i say & they simply have no need to comment on the issue, they also realise (the more clude in they are) that there's an abundance of young talent out there to choose from & that a cap would only reduce ones ability to sign players that they might have to wait 4 odd years for them to reach an 89/90 rating (few exceptions like gotze but alot of top youngsters like james/dzagoev/wilshire etc) take in real life years 6+ to have a rating that we exspected them to get when we signed them & thus such a measure by SM would only be hitting a certain type of manager, not the managers you squad cappers union actually want to hit, just like SM have done by increasing wages on clubs, yes they have made steps to tackle teams with lots of good players, but harder they have hit those managers with smaller clubs who may not even have many or any star players in their squads yet who are already selling, the big clubs i havn't seen them selling yet and from were i look at my big clubs i don't forsee that i will have to even with large youth squads & even if i did i don't think it would be nearly to the extent that i'm already doing at smaller clubs (selling players who are in my starting lineup for 10+ games a season) to get that 15/20 million cash injection to take me out of 5/10 million worth of debt, that problim wont be there with big teams as if there squad is too big they will have players nowere near their first team that they can sell.

Whats happening to small clubs now won't ever happen to big clubs, increasing individual wages isn't the answer as it affects unavoidably smaller clubs more harshly, a simple additional income tax is prob a better solution if SM want to use financis to force what they intended, x% of income tax on income over 20m, x% of income tax over 25m etc

Debating the squad cap issue was just about as much as debating the issue of too many star players at clubs, as this was the topic people kept identifying with when arguing for a cap that and people just not liking the look of clubs with 200 players on their rosters, when in reality that's because when they look at real life clubs they see only the first team squad ;) not the whole club, like my club on SM.

Re: Squad Caps

There's lots of gameworlds almost empty because...people lose a few matches and then quit, people lose out on a transfer target in a bidding war and then quit, people have a deal reversed and then quit, people see all their friends quitting and quit themselves, people don't get a decent team so quit them when the next gameworld opens one day later etc etc...

The forum is full of "Forumer Gameworld" threads where everyone's active at the start but then people start drifting away for some (or all!) of the above reasons, as I stated in a previous post I am in GCs a lot and the only GC where there's a genuine player-hogging side is GC1, and that doesn't put people off because it's the highest populated GC (about 250 managers in it the last time I checked)

If an English Championship gameworld starts off with for example 30 of 40 teams managed, the managers who didn't get Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea etc might quit their QPRs and Fulhams and Southamptons in order to get a big club in the next English Championship, leaving maybe 10 managers in the setup. These 10 managers might decide to stay and would then raid all the unmanaged clubs of any top players and young talent they might have picked up, as a result anyone joining the gameworld later would see 10 clubs with all the best players and all the other teams unmanaged and would assume that everyone left because of the player hogging - when really the player hogging only happened because everyone else had left...

• 1 year later...

We are currently looking at an initial cap of 50 first team players' date=' and an initial cap of 50 youth team players.

This will give people with very large, and unrealistic squads, time to reduce them over the coming weeks.

We will then liaise with forum members, to come to a player cap limit for both squads, prior to setting anything in stone.[/quote']

I think the EPL has a limit of 25 1st team players and 25 youth/academy players. this seems like a good number..

i for one will embrace the squad caps as it does get out of hand, 2 clubs in a GW i am in have over 200 players, and they buy every new young players that arrive in the daily updated player database, especially the free agents..

i can understand that they do it to earn money, but if the squad is capped at 50 players they should make money anyway as they would be saving £3k or £1k a TURN on 150 players, besides if you are limited to 50 players how much money do you need to make once your squad is at its limit..

this is just my take on it..

http://www.premierleague.com/content/dam/premierleague/site-content/News/publications/squad-lists/Premier-League-squad-lists-September-2014.pdf

this shows you this seasons EPL squad lists for 1st team and u21(contract & scholars)

Example : Chelsea : 1st team = 20 players

u21 = 51 players

Liverpool : 1st team = 19 players

u21 = 59 players

Man city also have 50+ u21 players, BUT NO TEAM has more than 25 REGISTERED 1st team players.

So...Maybe a squad cap only applies to the 1st Team.?

• 4 weeks later...

I am in the minority that agree with the Dev's about squad sizes, and I have been playing SM for a very long time, almost since year 1. This is my reasoning as to why squad sizes is necessary, and why I think there is such thing as "Youth Hogging". But before i go into that I'll give you a synopsis of how i build my teams with less players and how they are all successful.

I currently control 3 EPL teams under my belt, and none of them have gone over a squad limit of 40-50 players at any given time (with a starting squad of no more than 25 players and youth of no more than 25 either.) This helps me not only manage finances but also help me to do great scouting for my team as well, because only the select few players who I know will rise can join my team.

How do i do this? Well i set a squad cap of 1m in wages or less a turn, which in turn helps me make a profit on any home game i have by 200-300k. At the same time, i help me rotate players without getting concerns and at the same time allow me to play some youth players so i can see how they pan out with my formations. At the same time if any youth player 22 and over has not hit 89+ rating, they are sold to make room for a new player younger who can fill the void. In the end there is no need for me to make unnecessary purchases, or buy any youth player, just because they are available on the market.

So here is why I agree....

The First thing I agree with the Dev's is that most managers with large squads only buy youth players, not because they actually took time to research and scout them, but because they are under the age of 21, and MAY, not WILL increase in rating. To say I buy 100 youth because i scouted them is ridiculous, cause everyone knows a click of the button is not scouting. Actually doing research is. Too many managers I've seen put bids in as soon as a player 20yrs and under is added to the system. That to me is not scouting, and prevents managers with a small squad/stadium who has very little money actually make a bid themselves. That to me I think is player hogging, because no effort or research is done to acquire such player.

Second thing I agree with the Dev's on is that once a player hits age 22/23, you would have known by then how he is doing in real life. Thus making your decision much easier in letting him go or not. By age 22/23, if a player can't even be targeted by a big named team like Chelsea, Liverpool, Man United, Real Madrid, Barcelona, etc then he is not worth keeping, thus no need to hold onto him. And if you do, just reiterates why you are not doing any scouting at all, or have no clue as to how a player is really doing in real life.

Lastly, the 100 player squad cap is not far fetched. Teams can still buy/sell players and scout properly. What you can do with a 200 player squad, you can still do with a 100 player squad, just the only difference is that you need to do more research before buying a player which makes you more of a well rounded manager and one who is more engaged on the transactions he/she makes rather than just clicking a button and hoping that someday the player will rise.

The First thing I agree with the Dev's is that most managers with large squads only buy youth players' date=' not because they actually took time to research and scout them, but because they are under the age of 21, and [b']MAY[/b], not WILL increase in rating. To say I buy 100 youth because i scouted them is ridiculous, cause everyone knows a click of the button is not scouting. Actually doing research is. Too many managers I've seen put bids in as soon as a player 20yrs and under is added to the system. That to me is not scouting, and prevents managers with a small squad/stadium who has very little money actually make a bid themselves. That to me I think is player hogging, because no effort or research is done to acquire such player.

Total rubbish, if anyone did that they would fill up there squad limit (as it stands) in a matter of weeks, needless to say in my 8 years on this game I've never come across anyone doing such a thing & even if they did they're welcome to as it would result in them likely having hundreds of useless prospects as which point I have no need to cry do I?

the vast majority of people with large squads in this game (120+ players) I would go as far to say that they have done a decent job of scouting (matter of opinion on the players talent of course) which brings be back to my point a number of years ago that your argument is not over squad cap (why would you care if someone had 200 useless players in their team?) but actually your problem is with those managers who do actually scout, yet you argue for squad cap on the basis of those that don't scout have some sort of advantage over those that do scout and that by reducing the squad cap somehow halts these non scouters (I know I'm running in loops here but why again would you care if someone is not scouting? that can only be to your advantage)

Second thing I agree with the Dev's on is that once a player hits age 22/23' date=' you would have known by then how he is doing in real life. [/quote']

What developer is that?

Age limit is something I've brought up before (more to do with player concerns) but I'd not have a problem with a limit on the amount of players age 23+ in one's senior side but I couldn't not see SM implementing such a feature without removing the player concerns feature as they both have the same intention of stopping the hogging of already developed players.

I currently control 3 EPL teams under my belt' date=' and none of them have gone over a squad limit of 40-50 players at any given time (with a starting squad of no more than 25 players and youth of no more than 25 either.) This helps me not only manage finances but also help me to do great scouting for my team as well, because only the select few players who I know will rise can join my team.[/quote']

Good for you seems like you have nailed it, it also means in my 8 years (to date) I would have been allowed to sign 1 youth prospect every 4 months

which would result in absolutely no scouting whatsoever (& definitely no fun) as I & others would never ever ever buy anyone until meyer/mastour/avdijaj/januzaj was added to the database and every setup would be like gc-1 were trying to get the best youth prospects is concerned

Every single youth prospect that was added to the database would not be bought with exception to the elite prospects, nobody could afford to buy a coleman from sligo or a player from west brom or some small south american or asian or african team, the only players being bought would be barce real united chelsea players etc

well done you killed scouting

Shelbourne, you're just upset that they finally implemented squad caps, and you have to spend time getting rid of players. You're also upset that you actually have to spend time now researching players instead of clicking a button and putting a bid on every 20yr old or under player.

Like I said before, a click of the button is not scouting, its just luck. And for you to tell me that is still scouting, its rubbish. For example a 17 yr old player who just got added to the transfer list from Iran, being picked up right away, how is that scouting? Everyone knows most people dont know much about 17 yr olds from Iran or any other small leagues like Japan, Korea, etc.

Personally if you want fair transfer market, then you need to eliminate every youth player being picked up as soon as they are added to the transfer list, because this allows smaller teams to have a chance at a few players. Many leagues are saturated because 2-3 teams in every league have most of the youth and other teams cant get any unless they wait for a player hits at least 87-88 rating, which by then most are no longer youth. I used to be one of those who hoarded players, but when i realized how to properly scout, what i could do with 255 players I could still do with 50, plus make more money than i did before.

I understand you are upset about the changes, but we warned you that they were coming. Not much of what you argued in the past were valid reason for the Dev's to agree with your side, so that is why changes were made. In the end we got to live with them, and move on.

Oh by the way Slimey2k7 and King Leo, i agree with your synopsis a bit on why game worlds are empty. Its true that most people want to manage these elite teams, but for me the greatest challenge is taking the small teams and building them up. Sure it takes time, but if I got Chelsea or i got Leicester or even a team like TFC i would not care cause building a team is what i like most to do. In the end, like you said, i agree that GW are empty because more newer ones are created every day, and people like to hop; however, that does not justifying clearing out teams and stripping them of all their best players. If managers stopped doing that, new managers who joined the league would actually care to stay in my opinion.

Shelbourne' date=' you're just upset that they finally implemented squad caps, [/quote']

There has always been a squad cap (well for the last 8 years or so) noting new

and you have to spend time getting rid of players. You're also upset that you actually have to spend time now researching players instead of clicking a button and putting a bid on every 20yr old or under player.

Did you not read my last response? if your going to make an argument please don't talk absolute crap because you look like an idiot to those informed amongst us' date=' and to say the least it makes your argument completely void

Like I said before, a click of the button is not scouting, its just luck.

I agree :rolleyes: I would also be guilty as would many others who you also accuse of not "scouting" because about 50,000 or so... players have been added to the database since I started playing the game, none of my teams even have the max number allotted of 255, buying minus selling now and again I have (OR ANYONE FOR THAT MATTER) have 200 players (max) from that 50,000 in 8 years... stop talking crap

And for you to tell me that is still scouting' date=' [/quote']

am ya :rolleyes: are you telling me I don't "scout"? AGAIN AND AGAIN AGAIN FOR YEARRRRRSS IM telling you why would you give a flying pigs donkey tail if I dient scout? it would only be to your advantage and my disadvantage you come across as a tick to me tbh if not least a troll as your argument has no validity

its rubbish. For example a 17 yr old player who just got added to the transfer list from Iran' date=' being picked up right away, how is that scouting? Everyone knows most people dont know much about 17 yr olds from Iran or any other small leagues like Japan, Korea, etc. [/quote']

Again you repeat yourself, WHY WOULD YOU CAAAAARE???? IF SOMEONE PICKS UP SUCH A PLAYER

Personally if you want fair transfer market' date=' then you need to eliminate every youth player being picked up as soon as they are added to the transfer list, because this allows smaller teams to have a chance at a few players. Many leagues are saturated because 2-3 teams in every league have most of the youth and other teams cant get any unless they wait for a player hits at least 87-88 rating, which by then most are no longer youth. I used to be one of those who hoarded players, but when i realized how to properly scout, what i could do with 255 players I could still do with 50, plus make more money than i did before.[/quote']

What are you talking about? I have a team in a GC that gets about 2,000 attendance every home match for the last 7 years, I've plenty of top prospects, (Did you read my argument against having a cap of 50 players? go back and read it, analyse it and make a 1% decent rebuttal)

I understand you are upset about the changes' date=' [/quote']

What changes?

but we warned you that they were coming.
who's we? and to warn somebody of anything you must know that something is coming' date=' if any changes were made by SM then the only way you could have known is if you either work for SM or somebody who works for SM gave you knowledge of any impending changes and then you said so on this forum, but I don't see any post of yours informing me or anyone else as such.... so what are your talking about?
Not much of what you argued in the past were valid reason for the Dev's to agree with your side, so that is why changes were made. In the end we got to live with them, and move on.

Again what changes? I've seen no changes to the game-worlds I'm in or any game updates from SM

2 YEARS AGO people were crying that a squad cap of 255 was resulting in all the talent being snapped up by the same 2 or 3 teams resulting in people leaving setups as a result, yet in these last months (my stance of 2 tears ago is standing strong ) as u can sign the likes of Muller Aguero Gotze for minimum value in GC'S because teams are becoming unmanaged and are not being taken over (managers with top players are no longer interested, teams with top players are not wanted by new players to the game) a sqaud cap on how many 75/76 rated players one by sign has ABSOLUTLY no impact on why SM has deteriorated, and as far as i;m ocncerned is a non-topic.... not a big issue as you like to claim

Oh by the way Slimey2k7 and King Leo' date=' i agree with your synopsis a bit on why game worlds are empty. Its true that most people want to manage these elite teams, but for me the greatest challenge is taking the small teams and building them up. Sure it takes time, but if I got Chelsea or i got Leicester or even a team like TFC i would not care cause building a team is what i like most to do. In the end, like you said, i agree that GW are empty because more newer ones are created every day, and people like to hop; however, that does not justifying clearing out teams and stripping them of all their best players. If managers stopped doing that, new managers who joined the league would actually care to stay in my opinion.[/quote']

LOOOOL I'm quoting as I go now I get to this last bit which touches on my previous statement, THIS HAS NOTING TO DO with how many youths anyone can sign (sqaud cap = your argument for squad cap on how many new players added to the database on may sign), a squad cap of 50 would still result in a muller or gotze being taken of an unmanaged team

You never actually rebutted any of my points on my previous post on why a cap on how many youths one may sign is so completely unnecessary

Good for you seems like you have nailed it' date=' it also means in my 8 years (to date) I would have been allowed to sign [b']1 youth prospect every 4 months[/b]

which would result in absolutely no scouting whatsoever (& definitely no fun) as I & others would never ever ever buy anyone until meyer/mastour/avdijaj/januzaj was added to the database and every setup would be like gc-1 were trying to get the best youth prospects is concerned

Every single youth prospect that was added to the database would not be bought with exception to the elite prospects, nobody could afford to buy a coleman from sligo or a player from west brom or some small south american or asian or african team, the only players being bought would be barce real united chelsea players etc

well done you killed scouting

Total rubbish' date=' if anyone did that they would fill up there squad limit (as it stands) in a matter of weeks, needless to say in my 8 years on this game I've never come across anyone doing such a thing & even if they did they're welcome to as it would result in them likely having hundreds of useless prospects as which point I have no need to cry do I?

the vast majority of people with large squads in this game (120+ players) I would go as far to say that they have done a decent job of scouting (matter of opinion on the players talent of course) which brings be back to my point a number of years ago that your argument is not over squad cap [i'](why would you care if someone had 200 useless players in their team?)[/i] but actually your problem is with those managers who do actually scout, yet you argue for squad cap on the basis of those that don't scout have some sort of advantage over those that do scout and that by reducing the squad cap somehow halts these non scouters (I know I'm running in loops here but why again would you care if someone is not scouting? that can only be to your advantage)

I laugh at this, because there is no way a manager who buys 30+ youth would have any knowledge on them unless they are already under contract from a big named team, or have been talked about for months as the next best thing. I don't believe one bit that a manager who goes ahead and gets 30 guys named X, Y, Z, with ratings from 70-85, which don't even play in the 3 biggest leagues is considered scouting. I can do that too by the click of a button. For example lets say a 17 yr old guy named Nazim Kadri rated 70 from the Iranian league became available. Who would know anything about said player? No body, so what research did that manager do? I say none! Now if lets say he was Egyptian, age 17, and named Nazim El Shaarawy, then maybe i can understand why that manager picked him up. Usually most family members follow in the footsteps of their older brother(s)/cousin(s) (like the Lukaku's, Boatengs, etc) and are good.

To create a fair but reasonable transfer market, you need to add squad caps. That is the only way to allow any team a chance at picking up the players named X,Y,Z. A manager who jumps on a player(s) as soon as they are available, like I said before, is not actually scouting. Clicking a button is just way too easy now a days. I was guilty of that before, but it doesn't help. In the end it results in them keeping the players till they a decent rating (mostly 88-89), thus no young players are available for smaller teams to pick up. Then when the players are available, the prices are to high for smaller teams to buy them, thus keeping them in a bind of not able to even sell players they have, for fear of not being able to pick up anyone to fill the gaps in their lineups (at least anyone good that they can afford or any hot prospect).

I laugh at this' date=' because there is no way a manager who buys 30+ youth would have any knowledge on them unless they are already under contract from a big named team, or have been talked about for months as the next best thing. I don't believe one bit that a manager who goes ahead and gets 30 guys named X, Y, Z, with ratings from 70-85, which don't even play in the 3 biggest leagues is considered scouting. I can do that too by the click of a button. For example lets say a 17 yr old guy named Nazim Kadri rated 70 from the Iranian league became available. Who would know anything about said player? No body, so what research did that manager do? I say none! Now if lets say he was Egyptian, age 17, and named Nazim El Shaarawy, then maybe i can understand why that manager picked him up. Usually most family members follow in the footsteps of their older brother(s)/cousin(s) (like the Lukaku's, Boatengs, etc) and are good.

[b']To create a fair but reasonable transfer market, you need to add squad caps.[/b] That is the only way to allow any team a chance at picking up the players named X,Y,Z. A manager who jumps on a player(s) as soon as they are available, like I said before, is not actually scouting. Clicking a button is just way too easy now a days. I was guilty of that before, but it doesn't help. In the end it results in them keeping the players till they a decent rating (mostly 88-89), thus no young players are available for smaller teams to pick up. Then when the players are available, the prices are to high for smaller teams to buy them, thus keeping them in a bind of not able to even sell players they have, for fear of not being able to pick up anyone to fill the gaps in their lineups (at least anyone good that they can afford or any hot prospect).

That second paragraph in particular is a very desperate point.

You totally neglect that so many better implementations are already designed to benefit the smaller clubs, i.e. Chairman/bidding limits.

Lower squad values already enable 'lesser' teams to bid more. FAR more 'help to smaller teams' than a squad cap can ever be. Rarely are big squads a real problem when there is so many players out there with 'potential' anyway.

This is a fact (you constantly see smaller teams able to bid more) unlike the subjective convoluted point above which does smack of desperation to suggest squad caps will enable smaller clubs to compete with the larger teams.

I also have to comment on the scouting comments. Those with the big squads tend to be the most active and cannot afford to neglect their team, finances would soon get out of hand if not managed correctly. They are often working the hardest on their teams and I would comfortably bet they do more scouting as a result despite what you say. You talk about the initial scouting, a point which again is very subjective but you also neglect the constant scouting of those already in the squad. It's relentless and never ending, if to be successful you need to stay relatively up to date on the majority, often.

If player turnover isn't frequent then I fail to see what constant opposition such clubs pose in terms of monoplising talent? Can't have it both ways. They either don't scout and don't work hard turning over players and pose no threat most of the time to new talents or they do work their asses off staying up to date with who needs to be sold so they can sign the next new talent.

Back to smaller clubs...

If anything no squad caps benefit the smaller teams!

I would never have been able to get Exeter, Bayern II and AEK into division 1 with 3 successive promotions, if I was to be so hampered by such restrictions nor would I be constantly able to generate the income to remain competitive with the 'big boys' once I got there. Yes I would hemorrhage less money but I would still hemorrhage if limited unless I didn't want to build the best possible team which is surely the point of the entire game?

Progress would have been beyond tedious even for someone as patient as me up to the only sustainable position; mediocrity. Without limits I manage finances in a competitive way so I can compete with anyone this is SOLELY reliant on player turnover. Take that away, my teams become an irrelevance, not only would a lot of youngsters have to go but so would the first team!

I REALLY REALLY HATE it when people suggest squad caps are to benefit smaller teams when nothing is further from the truth! This is such an easy and dishonest statement.

Most useless response I've ever gotten in my 8 years using this section of the forum, so bad it should be removed.

I don't believe one bit that a manager who goes ahead and gets 30 guys named X' date=' Y, Z, with ratings from 70-85, which don't even play in the 3 biggest leagues is considered scouting[/quote']

I called you out as a troll years ago, this is definitive.

I laugh at this' date=' because there is no way a manager who buys 30+ youth would have any knowledge on them unless they are already under contract from a big named team, or have been talked about for months as the next best thing. I don't believe one bit that a manager who goes ahead and gets 30 guys named X, Y, Z, with ratings from 70-85, which don't even play in the 3 biggest leagues is considered scouting. I can do that too by the click of a button. For example lets say a 17 yr old guy named Nazim Kadri rated 70 from the Iranian league became available. Who would know anything about said player? No body, so what research did that manager do? I say none! Now if lets say he was Egyptian, age 17, and named Nazim El Shaarawy, then maybe i can understand why that manager picked him up. Usually most family members follow in the footsteps of their older brother(s)/cousin(s) (like the Lukaku's, Boatengs, etc) and are good.

To create a fair but reasonable transfer market, you need to add squad caps. That is the only way to allow any team a chance at picking up the players named X,Y,Z. A manager who jumps on a player(s) as soon as they are available, like I said before, is not actually scouting. Clicking a button is just way too easy now a days. I was guilty of that before, but it doesn't help. In the end it results in them keeping the players till they a decent rating (mostly 88-89), thus no young players are available for smaller teams to pick up. Then when the players are available, the prices are to high for smaller teams to buy them, thus keeping them in a bind of not able to even sell players they have, for fear of not being able to pick up anyone to fill the gaps in their lineups (at least anyone good that they can afford or any hot prospect).[/quote']

I am in the minority that agree with the Dev's about squad sizes' date=' and I have been playing SM for a very long time, almost since year 1. This is my reasoning as to why squad sizes is necessary, and why I think there is such thing as "Youth Hogging". But before i go into that I'll give you a synopsis of how i build my teams with less players and how they are all successful.

I currently control 3 EPL teams under my belt, and none of them have gone over a squad limit of 40-50 players at any given time (with a starting squad of no more than 25 players and youth of no more than 25 either.) This helps me not only manage finances but also help me to do great scouting for my team as well, because only the select few players who I know will rise can join my team.

How do i do this? Well i set a squad cap of 1m in wages or less a turn, which in turn helps me make a profit on any home game i have by 200-300k. At the same time, i help me rotate players without getting concerns and at the same time allow me to play some youth players so i can see how they pan out with my formations. At the same time if any youth player 22 and over has not hit 89+ rating, they are sold to make room for a new player younger who can fill the void. In the end there is no need for me to make unnecessary purchases, or buy any youth player, just because they are available on the market.[/quote']

Different people play the game in different ways. Just because you believe it works for you does not necessarily mean that it works for other people. You may not enjoy scouting and looking for young talents as well as buying players on a cheap and then flip for a profit, but there are people that do enjoy doing that.

So here is why I agree....

The First thing I agree with the Dev's is that most managers with large squads only buy youth players' date=' not because they actually took time to research and scout them, but because they are under the age of 21, and [b']MAY[/b], not WILL increase in rating. To say I buy 100 youth because i scouted them is ridiculous, cause everyone knows a click of the button is not scouting. Actually doing research is. Too many managers I've seen put bids in as soon as a player 20yrs and under is added to the system. That to me is not scouting, and prevents managers with a small squad/stadium who has very little money actually make a bid themselves. That to me I think is player hogging, because no effort or research is done to acquire such player.

And what if people actually do research? It's not hard to research on player's statistics, their team positions etc. You do realise there's a whole scouting forum on this website where many people contribute right?

Second thing I agree with the Dev's on is that once a player hits age 22/23' date=' you would have known by then how he is doing in real life. Thus making your decision much easier in letting him go or not. By age 22/23, if a player can't even be targeted by a big named team like Chelsea, Liverpool, Man United, Real Madrid, Barcelona, etc then he is not worth keeping, thus no need to hold onto him. And if you do, just reiterates why you are not doing any scouting at all, or have no clue as to how a player is really doing in real life.[/quote']

This is the most laughable part of this post. Most people with any knowledge of football can start naming players who were not a "great" success at 22/23 and then become a fantastic player. Just to give you a few:

1. Radamel Falcao - At age 22 was still at River Plate. Moved to Porto the next year, in fact, only started playing for a big named team in 2011, aged 25.
  2. Hulk - At age 22 was playing in Japan for Tokyo Verdy.
  3. Diego Costa - At age 22 was playing for Valladolid. Earned a move to Atletico the next year, but was not a success for a long time, even went out on loan to Rayo Vallecano at 24.
  4. Franck Ribery - At age 22 was playing for Metz and Galatasaray. Didn't move to Bayern for another two years.
  5. Thiago Silva - At age 22 struggled so much that he did not play a single game for Dynamo Moscow. Then moved back to Fluminense at 23. Did not move to AC Milan until 25.

There are plenty of talents in the world that do not move to a large club until later on in their careers, in fact, some players never move to that great club at all, preferring to stay at their own club.

Lastly' date=' the 100 player squad cap is not far fetched. Teams can still buy/sell players and scout properly. What you can do with a 200 player squad, you can still do with a 100 player squad, just the only difference is that you need to do more research before buying a player which makes you more of a well rounded manager and one who is more engaged on the transactions he/she makes rather than just clicking a button and hoping that someday the player will rise.[/quote']

Once again, I can research 200, 300, 400 players. In fact, I've done research on thousands of players before.

I laugh at this' date=' because there is no way a manager who buys 30+ youth would have any knowledge on them unless they are already under contract from a big named team, or have been talked about for months as the next best thing. I don't believe one bit that a manager who goes ahead and gets 30 guys named X, Y, Z, with ratings from 70-85, which don't even play in the 3 biggest leagues is considered scouting. I can do that too by the click of a button. For example lets say a 17 yr old guy named Nazim Kadri rated 70 from the Iranian league became available. Who would know anything about said player? No body, so what research did that manager do? I say none! Now if lets say he was Egyptian, age 17, and named Nazim El Shaarawy, then maybe i can understand why that manager picked him up. Usually most family members follow in the footsteps of their older brother(s)/cousin(s) (like the Lukaku's, Boatengs, etc) and are good.[/quote']

This forum needs a facepalm emoticon. This may be the most asinine and thoughtless set of statements I've ever read on this forum. So you're saying that anyone not playing in the Premier League, La Liga, and the Bundesliga is not considered scouting? So if I know about some players in the French league, or the Portuguese league, or the next big thing coming out of Holland, it's not considered scouting?

You are deluded. Also, no one bloody buys a 70-rated midfielder from the Iranian league. You're just making outrageous analogies to try and support your ridiculous points.

To create a fair but reasonable transfer market' date=' you need to add squad caps. That is the only way to allow any team a chance at picking up the players named X,Y,Z. A manager who jumps on a player(s) as soon as they are available, like I said before, is not actually scouting. Clicking a button is just way too easy now a days. I was guilty of that before, but it doesn't help. In the end it results in them keeping the players till they a decent rating (mostly 88-89), thus no young players are available for smaller teams to pick up. Then when the players are available, the prices are to high for smaller teams to buy them, thus keeping them in a bind of not able to even sell players they have, for fear of not being able to pick up anyone to fill the gaps in their lineups (at least anyone good that they can afford or any hot prospect).[/quote']

It's not like you can pick up 1,000 players. There are hundreds of thousands of players on the database, and a team can max out at 255 players. There are easily 500/600 players that will rise in the next few months, so I don't really see where the issue is?

Quite frankly, I assume you're just trying to wind people up by saying some outrageously stupid things, but I truly truly hope that you are not seriously this obtuse.

So any idea if a squad cap is actually going to be implemented??

I am sure there has always been a squad cap, I think it is 250 or thereabouts, can't believe this thread is still going even after 7 years. :eek:

Time for a squad cap again and down to 150 as I am sure the concerns which were implemented to stop player hogging should be working by now and it would take a brave man to argue that they can't have a first team squad, a reserve squad and a youth academy built to fit the settings of 150 player maximum.

I am sure there has always been a squad cap' date=' I think it is 250 or thereabouts, can't believe this thread is still going even after 7 years. :eek:

Time for a squad cap again and down to 150 as I am sure the concerns which were implemented to stop player hogging should be working by now and it would take a brave man to argue that they can't have a first team squad, a reserve squad and a youth academy built to fit the settings of 150 player maximum.[/quote']

The 'cap' is 255, not really much of one but that's the official number and that hasn't changed for years.

150 is a more reasonable suggestion than a lot of others I've seen although I'd only totally accept any amendment to the cap if other improvements were made in-line to make managing smaller clubs more sustainable without a reliance on risers, i.e. a drastic look at stadium buildingand successful clubs actually filling them. My AEK Athens team barely fills half the stadium regardless of success. I don't know if real-life factors are at play here but I'm sure there's some excuse.

The lack of a real cap enables us to work around a number of problems with the game, these problems need to be rectified before any cap IMO.

I agree with the suggestion that the a new cap can be set at 150 as it still allows for clubs to gain funds through player rises.

Currently trying to manage a team with home attendance of around 15,000 is a test of patience. The only way such clubs can have financial stability is by buying risers and selling them. I hope they introduce stadium building soon before introducing a squad cap.