Laurent KOSCIELNY- is he any good ?

Laurent KOSCIELNY. i have seen on this forum people saying that he is a good CB, but i have never seen it.

he looks to be clumsy and slow. i cannot remembr the exact games but he dosn't deliever.

when the pressure is on him, and arsenal don't just walk the match he is awful.

he is good in the air attacking wise, but defensively wow.

he gets outpaced and turned easily and as yesterday showed he is clumsy. leans on players and seems to not be premier league standard.

i have never been convinced by him as a player.

constructive and welll debated opinions please, could be an interesting debate because people are adamant that he is good, although i can only remember him making mistakes and looking panicky and out of his depth as he gets turned.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Laurent KOSCIELNY- is he any good ? With opinions like that, you couldn't have a more appropriate forum name. I assume you're joking!

Re: Laurent KOSCIELNY- is he any good ?

Kind of depends who his partner is. When he is with djourou he isn't that bad, but when he is with squallci then they are terrible as a partnership. He has moments of brilliance and looks like he can make it in the team and other time's like you say he is clumsy and often caught out of position. You might say lack of experience in the premiership. Not sure how many penalties he has given away or the amount of red cards he has been given, can only say I think that it has been a lot.

My opinion is that he can be a good centreback in a team like Arsenal, but there is obviously better out there and he is rather average.

The whole centreback position is messed up at Arsenal, we should have bought someone in during the winter transfer window :(

Its hot N cold with him, like someone said it depends who his partner is in cb, he dont work well with squillaci who is easily our worst defender. I think he is still getting used to the prem, but needs to gain abit more knowledge defensively, cause he didnt really need to make that foul in the newcastle game. Like i said it is hot n cold with him cause he is brilliant at time like when he scored the winner at everton and got a goal against Ipswich I think, but all the red cards and penalties he gives, he lacks experience and is quite small for a CB IMO. Nonetheless I think he will get a +1 and he will partner Vermaelen in defence and will show his quality, but Djorou is also looking good so I dont know.

Laurent KOSCIELNY. i have seen on this forum people saying that he is a good CB' date=' but i have never seen it.

he looks to be clumsy and slow. i cannot remembr the exact games but he dosn't deliever.

he gets outpaced and turned easily and as yesterday showed he is clumsy. leans on players and seems to not be premier league standard.

constructive and welll debated opinions please, could be an interesting debate because people are adamant that he is good, although i can only remember him making mistakes and looking panicky and out of his depth as he gets turned.[/quote']

He's one of the worst in the league in my opinion. Defensively he's so weak and so easy to beat. I'll agree he's good in the air offensively but even defensively in the air he's not that good. With the ability of the EPL's teams to attack, no matter what team, he's always a liability for Arsenal.

Surprised by his French call-up tbh. The squad looks quite experimental and it's a friendly though so I'm not going to read too much into it (Kaboul was involved in November thought he might have had an outside chance but that in itself shows that France aren't what they were at CB although with Sakho they have a huge prospect)

Here's the full squad for anyone interested...

http://www.goal.com/en/news/90/france/2011/02/03/2335789/arsenals-laurent-koscielny-called-into-france-team-to-face

I agree with pretty much what has been said before, very shaky and fills me with zero confidence atm (the red cards and pens have already been alluded to) Not the kind of dominant defender the Premiership demands, the step-up has been a bit much up to this point. He is looking a threat at the other end in recent games however :P IMO Samba or Hangeland would have been better buys for Arsenal and exactly what they've been crying out for since, dare I say it, the Adams era (Toure was obviously great but a different kind of defender) I do think Wenger will stick with Koscielny though and afford him quite a lot of faith and chances. He'll be an Arsenal player for a couple more years at least I expect.

In SM terms; the regular appearances for a team like Arsenal will get him to 89 and then in turn 90 in no time, not sure he's anything over 91 quality however. I signed him cheaply just after he joined Arsenal but for many of my 'big' teams I'm willing to sell him for a fee of 15mil-ish now as I don't see him being good enough to command a spot in the better teams of SM. Decent squad player and still very worthwhile in the competitive set-ups though.

Laurent KOSCIELNY. i have seen on this forum people saying that he is a good CB' date=' but i have never seen it.

constructive and welll debated opinions please, could be an interesting debate because people are adamant that he is good, although i can only remember him making mistakes and looking panicky and out of his depth as he gets turned.[/quote']

To put it simple, he's pretty bad but it seems Wenger gives him decent minutes which means SM will probably give him a rise ;)

I have watched every single arsenal game this season. I think u should keep him, and even if u sell, keep him on the shortlist. He has quality but IMO needs a little more time to adapt to the premier league. Like said in the other posts, when playing with Djourou, both are very very good. But with Squillaci, he looks uncertain at times. I might be biased of course, being an arsenal fan. But in my honest opinion, i think u should keep him. There is a lot more to him than most people can see.

In my opinion he isnt so good but he isnt so bad afterall.

To be honest I didint watched him every game,but I saw his few performances,and he is quite solid,yeah he is kinda slow,but He could be very solid defender,like 92,93 rated..

And I dont see why everyone think that he is awefull,While I am watching him,he didint make any stupid decision,that could be a bad for his club,there were few less imporant mistakes,but nothing that could effect on his team so much.

He scored also few goals this season maybe 2,3..

But Again he isnt something special but he isnt so bad too.

He's a class player. He just needs some more Pl experience.

Ill second that' date=' i dont know why all you lot are saying hes awful, hes just moved to a new country with a different style of league, it takes time to adapt! Hes put in a few good performances so the talents obviously there just needs more time & not to have people like you slating after half a season![/center']

He's a class player. He just needs some more Pl experience.

Loose use of the term 'class' there. I've not seen anything to suggest that's an appropriate word.

Ill second that' date=' [b']i dont know why all you lot are saying hes awful[/b], hes just moved to a new country with a different style of league, it takes time to adapt! Hes put in a few good performances so the talents obviously there just needs more time & not to have people like you slating after half a season!

Err because he's been extremely poor in a number of games costing Arsenal a number of points. If Arsenal had a decent CB pairing they'd possibly be top and have much serious aspirations of the title. Utd are top because they are far more solid. It's been a poor half of the season people are entitled to voice their opinions, especially when it's justified.

Err because he's been extremely poor in a number of games costing Arsenal a number of points. If Arsenal had a decent CB pairing they'd possibly be top and have much serious aspirations of the title. Utd are top because they are far more solid. It's been a poor half of the season people are entitled to voice their opinions' date=' especially when it's justified.[/quote']

Hes just moved to a completely new country & league, it takes time adapting to the setup.. Hes scored a few important goals for Arsenal and at times has showed hes a good defender. People are so quick to write people off.

Ill second that' date=' i dont know why all you lot are saying hes awful, hes just moved to a new country with a different style of league, it takes time to adapt! Hes put in a few good performances so the talents obviously there just needs more time & not to have people like you slating after half a season![/center']
Hes just moved to a completely new country & league' date=' it takes time adapting to the setup.. Hes scored a few important goals for Arsenal and at times has showed hes a good defender. People are so quick to write people off.[/center']

i totally agree bowes. look at a post i started on berbatov. people right him off, then have a crush on him this season....

i am not writing him off, i know it takes time to adapt. for a new signing for a team i will never say they have no hope. never.

i learnt the hard way, i said evra was ****. now look..... players deveolp amazingly. same with fletcher !

anyway, my post was created because people are predicting him to rise when i strongly disagree. he has not been good and dosnt deserve to rise imo.

im not writing him off, i just tried to see why people said he shoudl rise. even with his game time at arsenal i dont see him getting 90 as he just is not 90 quality.

Besides a lot of his problems -conceding of goals and cards have come from his happy go lucky team mates who bomb forward' date=' lose the ball and don't track back or give the ball away when theres little or no cover..and almost no CB pair can survive Almunia/Flapp in goal...;)[/quote']

that is true, but what about against newcastle ?

he is clumsy. a physical attribute that i think ferdinand and vidic both have.

koscielny can make a meal out of almost anything.

but since ferdinand and vidic both can be like this maybe he can go really far in a team that, as you said won't be vunerable to counter attacks.

but come on, against leeds the united cb's showed typical form. simple ball over the top they are clueless.

anyway i dont think he deserves to rise. long term he might be good but short term +1 at best, i would personally put a no change if i was doing it.

that is true' date=' but what about against newcastle ?

he is clumsy. a physical attribute that i think ferdinand and vidic both have.

koscielny can make a meal out of almost anything.

but since ferdinand and vidic both can be like this maybe he can go really far in a team that, as you said won't be vunerable to counter attacks.

but come on, against leeds the united cb's showed typical form. simple ball over the top they are clueless.

anyway i dont think he deserves to rise. long term he might be good but short term +1 at best, i would personally put a no change if i was doing it.[/quote']

I suspect the minutes will demand the 89. For a team sitting in 2nd he has the FOURTH most minutes of anyone in the Arsenal squad (behind only Clichy, Sagna and Song) in the Premiership alone.

IMO he was started at too high a rating since joining Arsenal -if he was started as an 86-87 a solid case can be made for an 87-88 given his minutes-and based on performance and achievements later an 89/90.

But as regard to the question I would reserve judgment until second season...and imagine if he's Arsene's lucky rabbit foot that gets him a couple trophies this season :eek: