Thinking of starting a new business, with only €150. Ideas please?

Re: Thinking of starting a new business, with only €150. Ideas please?

Have a look on-line for local valeting companies' date=' look at their price lists. If they don't have a website give them a phone posing as a customer and ask what they're prices are. Tell them you have 2 or 3 cars, so you get an idea of the differences in price between a small hatchback (ford focus, renault clio, vauxhall astra) a medium-large size saloon (ford mondeo, mercedes, bmw) or a large 4x4 (range rover, bmw x5, mitsubishi shogun).

There are different levels of service you could offer:

level 1 - [standard wash with wheels cleaned'] - £4

level 2 - [level 1 + hoover and shampoo carpets and mats, clean inside windows] - £9

level 3 - [level 2 + shampoo seats, leather interior treat the leather] - £14-£19

level 4 - [level 3 + full polish, gel the bumpers and tyre walls, polish the dashboard and the interior plastic trim] £24-£29

It might be best when you start to only offer level 1 and level 2 then when you have a bit more money include level 3 and level 4, but it all depends on the price of cleaning products.

Now that just gives you an outline of what to do, once you price your stock you'll know the best price to charge so it's worth your while. When your buying the stock search online for the best stuff in your price range, there are plenty of car forums you can browse that'll give you a true idea if the product is any good.

When you decide on your supplier always ask for a discount, explain you're a start up business and if you can do a deal then you'll use him on a regular basis and as the business grows then the orders will be bigger. It's easier to get a discount from small business' because they have more discretion over price.

Have a look on you tube for instructions on how best to wash and wax a car, it'll give you lots of helpful tips.

Seriously great help mate, appreciate it so much. :)

Find your nearest professional car wash and undercut them a little bit. The main problem with this idea is longevity. You clean all the cars in your area in a fortnight and then you get no business for a month. If you've got transport and fancy doing it door-to-door (carry your stuff around) then it's a cracking idea.

To be fair how long does a car wash take? 20 minutes maybe? If you are only making, say, £10 from this then i'd stick with the sweets.

You could open two or more sweet lockers and market it to the whole school. Either secretly or openly depending on your school.

At my school we sometimes have days (fairs etc) when there are sweets for sale and they take £150 a lunchtime easily. It's all about finding what your customers want and supplying that, but still making around a 100% profit on everything.

Seriously great help mate' date=' appreciate it so much. :)[/quote']

You also need to know what you're doing. Offering to wax a car is great so long as you don't end up taking all the paint off :P I wouldn't rush into it. Invest your money carefully (don't put all your eggs in one basket until it's paying for itself), only buy from places you trust, practice and read instructions so you know what you're doing before you set out and pay as little as you can for good quality stock. A wholesaler (maybe a warehouse outlet for a big chain) may be cheaper than a slightly budging small business.

To be fair how long does a car wash take? 20 minutes maybe? If you are only making' date=' say, £10 from this then i'd stick with the sweets.

You could open two or more sweet lockers and market it to the whole school. Either secretly or openly depending on your school.

At my school we sometimes have days (fairs etc) when there are sweets for sale and they take £150 a lunchtime easily. It's all about finding what your customers want and supplying that, but still making around a 100% profit on everything.[/quote']

I would do both, different irons in different fires. You can't wash cars while you're at school and you can't sell sweets while you're at home.

Are you actually after a buisness i.e. brand name, customer base, balance books etc etc? Or are you just really after making a bit of cash?

If its the first one then definatley car cleaning is the way to go where you could get a regular customer base and clean their cars for slightly less than they would pay at a car wash and build up your rep through word of mouth and maybe some flyers with the service you can offer them.

If its just making a bit of money stick with the tuck shop idea.

I used to sell cigarettes in my High school 4/5 years back.. never smoked one in my life the digusting things lol, but could buy them cheap and sell them on for good money on the courtyard B)