Sign in to follow this  
Totti417

The Official Baseball Thread

Hello all. I decided to create an official baseball thread since I couldn't find one on here. There seems to be one for almost every other sport. Baseball should be included. ;)

...or am I the only American on the forum? :D:D Kidding of course.

If anyone wants to start a conversation about the MLB or baseball in general, post it down here. I'll be sure to respond, at least.

Re: The Official Baseball Thread

Lol bit of a disaster this one isnt it :P

Ive always had a soft spot for the Yankees.. purely because my family have albeit it faint ties with Paul O'Neill (one of those my dads aunties brothers son situations) and he hooked us up with free tickets when we used to go over back in 1998.

God people hated him though :D

Lol bit of a disaster this one isnt it :P

Ive always had a soft spot for the Yankees.. purely because my family have albeit it faint ties with Paul O'Neill (one of those my dads aunties brothers son situations) and he hooked us up with free tickets when we used to go over back in 1998.

God people hated him though :D

Yeah, this project isn't going over well. :(

Free is always good. Paul O'Neill was a tough, dirty player, but everyone hates the Yankees, unless you are a fan. It really is one of those "you love

em or you hate 'em" dichotomies. I am part of the hate 'em group. Sorry. XD

I do respect O'Neill's style of play though. He held down right field for the Pinstripes for years. After he left, there was a void. He was part of those real Yanks like Jeter, Posada, Bernie, Pettitte, Tino Martinez, etc.

Yeah' date=' this project isn't going over well. :(

Free is always good. Paul O'Neill was a tough, dirty player, but everyone hates the Yankees, unless you are a fan. It really is one of those "you love

em or you hate 'em" dichotomies. I am part of the hate 'em group. Sorry. XD

I do respect O'Neill's style of play though. He held down right field for the Pinstripes for years. After he left, there was a void. He was part of those real Yanks like Jeter, Posada, Bernie, Pettitte, Tino Martinez, etc.[/quote']

Yehh their kind of the Man United of the Baseball world.. unless your a fan you cant stand their guts :P and thats fine mate lol who's your team?

Yeh exactly, the guy was his own worst critic mind.. if he wasnt happy he would let everybody know about it! I remember one of the games i went to he brutally attacked an innocent water cooler :D gotta love the guys passion.

Yehh their kind of the Man United of the Baseball world.. unless your a fan you cant stand their guts :P and thats fine mate lol who's your team?

Yeh exactly' date=' the guy was his own worst critic mind.. if he wasnt happy he would let everybody know about it! I remember one of the games i went to he brutally attacked an innocent water cooler :D gotta love the guys passion.[/quote']

I'd have to go with the Red Sox. I always rooted for the underdog and they hadn't won for 86 years until they finally won in 2004. They always kept the faith, so that's why I love 'em. Just another reason for me to hate on the Yanks. ;)

I don't think I've ever remember seeing O'Neill even smile. haha He was like a statue.

I'd have to go with the Red Sox. I always rooted for the underdog and they hadn't won for 86 years until they finally won in 2004. They always kept the faith' date=' so that's why I love 'em. Just another reason for me to hate on the Yanks. ;)

I don't think I've ever remember seeing O'Neill even smile. haha He was like a statue.[/quote']

Ahh you had to be a bloody Red Sox fan didnt you :P

Same lol! ive heard rumours he smiled though.. once :eek:

See anything? lol :P

You guys are twins!...not. B)

Curious...what do you folk from the UK know about baseball? I'm talking about the general public. Is it known or is it like cricket in the States? No one knows anything about it...even football for that matter.

You guys are twins!...not. B)

Curious...what do you folk from the UK know about baseball? I'm talking about the general public. Is it known or is it like cricket in the States? No one knows anything about it...even football for that matter.

Well he is only a distant relation :P

I just dont think its known in the UK tbh. Doesnt get any television time comapared to the likes of NHL or American Football, and i doubt many people would stay up until 4/5am to watch it unless they were hardcore fans of the sport. I personally do quite enjoy it, but just dont think its all that marketable over here.

Well he is only a distant relation :P

I just dont think its known in the UK tbh. Doesnt get any television time comapared to the likes of NHL or American Football' date=' and i doubt many people would stay up until 4/5am to watch it unless they were hardcore fans of the sport. I personally do quite enjoy it, but just dont think its all that marketable over here.[/quote']

Even the NHL gets more facetime than the MLB? I'm surprised. NHL is the least popular of the four "big" sports over here. (NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL).

Anyone else in the mood to chat about some MLB? or the sport of baseball in general?

Yes!

Recently taken to the sport, and I'm massively enjoying messing around on the local moor, smacking some "Dingers" as far as I can...

Also I've bought a mitt, and I enjoy people trying to kill me with the ball while I stand there and catch everything :D

And you're a Red Sox fan?

Quite like them, I support Liverpool and the owners are connected etc etc, but, I'm a Cardinals fan :D:P

Thought I'd revive this...

Tomorrow the New York Yankees host the Boston Red Sox, in the American League East...

Sabathia won't be starting for the Yankees, instead it'll be Colon vs Beckett.

My money is on the Sox to come out on top, seeing as they are currently ahead of the Yankees, and have a better pitcher starting :)

I will post the result soon :)

Surprisingly CC Sabathia played against the Red Sox, despite him losing in the last 4 meetings when he played the Red Sox. And this time he prevailed, leading the Yankees to a 5-2 victory over the team that they are chasing.

The Yankees scored first in the 2nd innings.

2nd Innings- Yankees- Play by Play

Mark Teixeira was struck out off a foul tip.

Robinson Cano was walked.

Nick Swisher singles with a line drive to centre field. Cano to second base.

Eric Chavez singles with a ground ball to centre field. Cano scores. Swisher to third base.

Jorge Posada hits a ground ball causing a double play, shortstop Marco Scutaro to second baseman Dustin Pedroia to first baseman Adrian Gonzalez. Eric Chavez out at 2nd.

The Yankees scored 1 run in that inning.

4th Innings- Yankees- Play by Play.

Curtis Granderson walks.

Mark Teixeira pops out to shortstop Marco Scutaro.

Robinson Cano doubles (36) on a fly ball to center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury. Curtis Granderson scores.

Nick Swisher walks.

Eric Chavez singles on a ground ball to center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury. Robinson Cano scores. Nick Swisher to 2nd.

Coaching visit to mound.

Jorge Posada grounds into double play, shortstop Marco Scutaro to second baseman Dustin Pedroia to first baseman Adrian Gonzalez. Eric Chavez out at 2nd.

4th Innings- Red Sox- Play by Play.

Jed Lowrie grounds out, shortstop Derek Jeter to first baseman Mark Teixeira.

Carl Crawford homers on a fly ball to right field.

Jarrod Saltalamacchia singles on a ground ball to center fielder Curtis Granderson.

Darnell McDonald singles on a ground ball to right fielder Nick Swisher. Jarrod Saltalamacchia to 2nd.

Jacoby Ellsbury called out on strikes.

Marco Scutaro doubles (14) on a line drive to left fielder Brett Gardner. Jarrod Saltalamacchia scores. Darnell McDonald to 3rd.

Coaching visit to mound.

Adrian Gonzalez strikes out swinging.

Both teams got 2 runs in the 4th innings, a home run for the Sox.

5th Innings- Yankees- Play by Play.

Francisco Cervelli homers on a fly ball to left field.

Brett Gardner grounds out, second baseman Dustin Pedroia to first baseman Adrian Gonzalez.

Derek Jeter grounds out, third baseman Jed Lowrie to first baseman Adrian Gonzalez.

Curtis Granderson walks.

Mark Teixeira pops out to shortstop Marco Scutaro.

Cervelli scores his second home run of the season to give the Yankees a 2 run lead.

7th Innings- Yankees- Play by Play.

Francisco Cervelli hit by pitch.

On-field Delay.

New York Yankees Pitching Coach Larry Rothschild ejected by 3B umpire Mark Wegner.

With Brett Gardner batting, passed ball by Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Francisco Cervelli to 2nd.

Brett Gardner singles on a bunt ground ball to third baseman Jed Lowrie. Francisco Cervelli to 3rd.

Derek Jeter grounds into double play, shortstop Marco Scutaro to first baseman Adrian Gonzalez. Francisco Cervelli scores. Brett Gardner out at 2nd.

Curtis Granderson strikes out swinging.

No love loss between these two sides, Cervelli is hit by a pitch then goes on to score, after the Red Sox gained a double play off Jeter!

Final score:

New York Yankees 5-2 Boston Red Sox

The Sox stay ahead of the Yankees though, with a one game advantage (82-52 to 81-52)

I'll try to do a few match reports a week :)

Yes!

Recently taken to the sport' date=' and I'm massively enjoying messing around on the local moor, smacking some "Dingers" as far as I can...

Also I've bought a mitt, and I enjoy people trying to kill me with the ball while I stand there and catch everything :D

And you're a Red Sox fan?

Quite like them, I support Liverpool and the owners are connected etc etc, but, I'm a Cardinals fan :D:P[/quote']

Yes! Sorry for the late reply. Been busy.

Yes, I am a Sox fan. And you?

Yes! Sorry for the late reply. Been busy.

Yes' date=' I am a Sox fan. And you?[/quote']

Can you tell by the avatar? :P

I'm a Cardinals fan, we're going for the wild card slot and you're defending it from Tampa Bay, so it's pretty exciting, now that we're coming up on post-season :)

Can you tell by the avatar? :P

I'm a Cardinals fan' date=' we're going for the wild card slot and you're defending it from Tampa Bay, so it's pretty exciting, now that we're coming up on post-season :)[/quote']

Ah, stupid me. :rolleyes:

In that case, what do you think Albert Pujols will do this off-season with his expiring contract? Stay in St. Louis or move elsewhere?

Ah' date=' stupid me. :rolleyes:

In that case, what do you think Albert Pujols will do this off-season with his expiring contract? Stay in St. Louis or move elsewhere?[/quote']

If he was to move, he'd probably end up at the Yankees, he wants 30M a year I think, like the Yankees players get.

But I think he'll stay, especially if we make the post season and maybe even reach a World Series (;))

I do hope he stays, as he is fantastic, but I can't rule out a move. If he were to go, we'd probably get a good deal, we'd make the Yankees shell out :)

Do you think that the Sox will hold on and reach the post-season? Considering their not-so-great form of late, and with the Rays only 2 games behind, can they make it? :)

If he was to move' date=' he'd probably end up at the Yankees, he wants 30M a year I think, like the Yankees players get.

But I think he'll stay, especially if we make the post season and maybe even reach a World Series (;))

I do hope he stays, as he is fantastic, but I can't rule out a move. If he were to go, we'd probably get a good deal, we'd make the Yankees shell out :)

Do you think that the Sox will hold on and reach the post-season? Considering their not-so-great form of late, and with the Rays only 2 games behind, can they make it? :)[/quote']

If Pujols goes to the Yanks, he'll have to change position with Mark Teixeira, a Gold-Glove calibre 1st baseman at his position. He started his career playing 3rd, but A-Rod plays there. The other option would be right field, but that would mean Swisher would have to be the DH.

It's a complicated situation if he goes to the Yanks, but they do have the $$ like you said.

Let's not talk about the Sox missing the playoffs on the last day of the season. Thanks ;)