Building Your Own PC

Midnight to Six

Anyone got any experience with this? I'm fairly certain I'll be doing this starting this week as the money I can save is incredible. I've pretty much scouted all the components I'll be putting in it now but I'm not too sure what processor to buy. At the minute I'm stuck between AMD and Intel.

Would be grateful if anyone had an opinion on this.

Re: Building Your Own PC

Absolutely no experience whatsoever but from when I bought my laptop I remember being told AMD processors tend to run faster and are therefore more prone to overheating. My Compaq has an AMD processor and is now about one and a half years old and often shuts down due to overheating. Ergo, I'd be more tempted by the Intel but I'd wait for someone a bit more in the know :) I think Intel are a little more expensive for the performance but given the links you posted that doesn't seem to be a problem.

Anyone got any experience with this? I'm fairly certain I'll be doing this starting this week as the money I can save is incredible. I've pretty much scouted all the components I'll be putting in it now but I'm not too sure what processor to buy. At the minute I'm stuck between AMD and Intel.

Out of those 2 i would go for Intel, seems safer and more reliable :)

Absolutely no experience whatsoever but from when I bought my laptop I remember being told AMD processors tend to run faster and are therefore more prone to overheating. My Compaq has an AMD processor and is now about one and a half years old and often shuts down due to overheating. Ergo' date=' I'd be more tempted by the Intel but I'd wait for someone a bit more in the know :) I think Intel are a little more expensive for the performance but given the links you posted that doesn't seem to be a problem.[/quote']

I'd say that's more to do with the fact it's a laptop though. I had Intel in my old laptop and it often shut down due to overheating. Since I'll be putting it all in this tower though, it shouldn't really overheat. It's a lot bigger than a laptop for air flow and there will be several fans in it to keep it cool.

I have to admit I'm more drawn towards the Intel myself. Out of the two I posted the AMD is slightly faster but for sheer reliability I think the Intel's probably the best option.

It doesn't really matter which processor you get. AMD's do run slightly faster but if you have a decent cooling system then theres nothing to be worried about. All the computers I have ever owned bar my lappy have been built by me and my father. And only once have I owned an Intel, rest have been AMD. Currently I run an AMD Athlon X2 64 bit Dual Core. Nothing special, but it does the job. I'd recommend having a look at This as all the computers in my workplace run on them and coupled with a decent motherboard and RAM etc they are soooooo quick.

If you need any help, you have my facebook. :)

Interesting idea.

I posted a HOMEBUILD SYNTHESIZER PROJECT in my CRAIG-SYNTH-SONGS thread. (craigsynthsongs thread posts 32,33,34,35,36,37)

and also a MINI MODULER SYNTHESIZER BUILDING PROJECT there. (posts 19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26)

You may find similar videos for your homebuild PC project to help you

Here's a sample VIDEO of HOMEBUILD SYNTHESIZER PROJECT (PART 6/7)

-k7iDABrLn4&feature=player_embedded#at=100

I'd also have to go with Intel for the reliability reason.

NewEgg is a great site to check out for building a computer from scratch. Here's the link - http://www.newegg.com/

. I've pretty much scouted all the components I'll be putting in it now but I'm not too sure what processor to buy. ]Intel[/url].

Check out this page:

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/intel-vs-amd-processor-comparison2010.html

I haven't learn how to post tables sorry, anyway if its cost I would go with AMD and just put in an extra cooling fan. Much cheaper option, and as you will see in the link its much better for Gaming but much will depend on your motherboard and graphics card.