Best Premier League Season ever? Or Worst premier league season ever?

Smartdoc

Best Premier League Season ever? Or Worst premier league season ever?  

1. 1.

• Best season ever!
    • One of the better seasons
    • Somewhere in the middle
    • Pretty poor season overall
    • Worst season ever!

With the season nearing a climax, the usual excitement at the top and bottom of the table is well underway with clubs trying to qulify for Europe whilst others avoid the dreaded drop. But has this season been like other seasons in terms of excitement and quality. Has it been better than usual or worse than usual? Some things to consider when making your point/decision:

- Man U's fantastic unbeaten run from the start of the season until their defeat to Wolves - a sign of their continued excellence or more an indication of how poor other teams have been?

- On course to be the highest premier league scoring season ever (extrapolating current scoring rates, we will beat the 1999/2000 record of 1060 goals) - better attacking play and formations or a sign of poorer defences and more drubbings for the lowly teams?

- Several of the EPLs leading lights (from previous seasons) in poor form this year - could include Drogba, Rooney, Torres and a whole host of other names - more quality in defences or better laid out plans by managers to counter-act them or just poor form?

- More teams at the bottom of the table getting results and victories against teams at the top - the gap closing due to quality signings made by clubs lower down the table (as a result of EPL money) or inconsistent form for most teams in the league?

- The tightness at the bottom of the table - is it a case of the clubs being as good as each other or as bad as each other?

- The number of draws - 83 already and looks set to be another record broken - are clubs more afraid to lose and less inclined to go out and chase the win? Are clubs taking the lead sitting back too much on their slender lead?

- Overall quality of player and are they performing to their full potential? With the amount of sponsorship money and other monies in the EPL, are we seeing the best players coming to this league accross the teams and are they performing or are we seeing more and more mercenaries here to make a quick buck? Has the overall standard improved?

- Is there any outstanding candidates for player of the year and young player of the year? Is it too close to call becuase no-one has been consistent enough?

I have friends who say this has been the best EPL season ever, because it seems any team could beat any other on it's day, the closeness of some parts of the league, the amount of goals and different players shining. Others say the opposite for exactly the same reasons and add that teams are too frightened to lose. What do you think?

PS Try to look at the league as a whole and not focus on your own teams form :)

Re: Best Premier League Season ever? Or Worst premier league season ever?

One of the better season's Id say. Early 2000's were some of my favourite's and will always be. I loved watching United vs Arsenal, it was such an intense rivalry and it had calmed down as of recent. Also loved the season when Ronaldo would score in nearly every game for United :P This season is very exciting as the gap between the big boys and the rest has seemed to close somewhat and on their day everyone has a chance against everyone. Definitely one of the best, but not the best IMO :)

As a Wolves fan I have mixed emotions about this campaign, it's had it's ups but also a fair few downs.

Obviously getting wins against Man City, Man United and Chelsea at home and the win at Anfield have been fantastic moments for me.

But on the other hand the fact we are still in the relegation zone even though we have played the best football I have seen from Wolves in a long time is very frustrating, probably the worst part is losing on the double against Wigan and throwing away the win at West Brom in the final few minutes.

All in all though the premiership this season has had some excellent surprises and a great amount of goals to chuck into the mix, either side of the table is still wide open (albeit Man Utd running away with the league). The champions league/europa league spots are still undecided and same has to be said for the relegation as well, we are in for a very exciting end to the season.

Definatly one of the better seasons. Lots of competition towards the bottom of the table, aswell as for the top four and even for the title now. Absoloutly amazing at times, if the seasons ends well it could even possibly be the best season ever B)

It's been a great season' date=' but is it because the smaller teams have gotten better or the bigger teams have gotten worse?[/quote']

IMO, bigger team gotten worse, even I really not expecting United can win the league or can be title contenders especially when they played away from home.

Worst Premier League season by a long long way, Man United will probably win the title despite Rooney never performing and only playing well a handful of times throughout the season, the only players who have performed consistently well are Nani and Berbatov and in a good Premier League season they wouldn't have won the title.

Near the middle of the pack on quality alone. There's no team anywhere near teams like the Arsenal invincibles, Mourinho's Chelsea and a couple of the better United teams from the 10 to 15 years, and predictably off the back of a World Cup year a few of the as billed superstars have struggled to find form.

No way it's the worst though, I grew up watching players like Jason Lee earn a living in the Premier League, the league has come so far since then.

Although I suppose you can make an argument for the league being more balanced and competitive than it has been for a while and the impact that has upon excitement. I'd contest that comes from the best teams getting weaker while those down the bottom become less bad though and as nice as it is to see the underdogs cause an upset every now and again, the league is worse for losing players like Ronaldo who while certainly playing a part in the imbalance did sensational, breathtaking things and the restrictions time has brought on the aging star names.

Unpredictability and increasing balance gives the illusion of entertainment, but essentially it's just both ends of the league edging closer towards mediocrity.

Archived