Most overachieving team in EPL and most underachieving?

Re: Most overachieving team in EPL and most underachieving?

Are we talking this season or PL history?

Hate to say it but United are overachieving :o They have far from the best squad in the league but are frankly running away with the title.

Many sides have underachieved at times this season (Villa, Liverpool and Everton all around the relegation spots) but I guess Chelsea should be much higher than they are.

Under achieving would be In order:

1) Chelsea - pretty obvious why

2) sadly my team Aston Villa. after cementing ourself as a top 6 side, getting into Europe, making wembley and a fa cup semi due to a catalogue of disasters on and off the pitch the first four months of our campaign was horrendous. Things are looking up now and I expect us to be there abouts come the end of next season.

Over achieving:

part of me wants to include city in this list because I swear to god Iv never watched them and thought wow... What a great team , yet they are sitting pretty in 3rd.

1) But I reckon Blackpool, on paper they should be rock bottom and with no wins :P but they have done more than admirably so far

2) Newcastle , full of medicore players and i expected them to struggle yet they seem to be doing just fine

underacheivers:

aston villa. they have had bad luck but mainly an awful defence has contributed to this. i think next season if they get their defence sorted they will be back to where they belong, near the top. i think 7th is a reasonably target. there is a possible 27 points left and aston villa could go up i think 3-4 places if they play well. regardless aston villa surely don't deserve to be 14th ?

albrighton, young, bent, downing (on form) are good players, but there is a lack of quality centre midfield players and defence is shaky... aston villa can do better but if they dont adress these issues they will fail again next season i think. opinions on this statement are welcome, i think that is why villa has struggled but im not too sure tbh!

liverpool: their first team is absolute quality imo, if they have to loose more than 1 player they become awful. look at their europa league team it is just funny. regardless of being 6th now, which is incredibly fair i think they are massive under ahceivers for actually being in the relegation zone for so long. their first team is so good it was ridiculous where they were. their final / current league position is very fair though....strange situtation i must say !

note: chelsea to me are not under acheiving. they are 4th, that is fine for their team. when you have strikers mis firing and limited midfield playing style (no sharpness/ pace or quick passing / counter attacking are examples) along with injuries they are reasonably placed.

note: spurs and city are fair too. spurs 3 points off with ages left = fine.

city grind out results more than they used too. gets you points :)

overacheivers: man united. im gonna get some stick but seriously on paper they have a really weak side. no goal scoring threats. one winger. vidic smalling are good and ferdinand is injured. if that isn't the pairing they get ripped eg liverpool or west ham. no world class finishers yet they grind out results. the team does it everytime so it is not luck, but how this happens astounds me. in europe i think they will just 4-5-1 it and grind out results. not attacking flair as they used too, just somehow win. little baffling !

sunderland are not over acheiving: they have built a quality team now. muntari sessegnon, welbeck gyan, henderson and richardson all pulled their weight big time to earn this highly placed spot.

newcastle i think are lucky, carrol barton gutirez, enrique and best all must be on fire for them to do well.

carrol gone, they need their key players. they have a big kitty for the summer thought but im surprised they are 10th.

my (rather long sorry ! ) opinions anyway !

Over-achieving = United

Under-achieving = Wigan

I'd go with this - United flying high at the top, still in FA and Champs League with a very average team....Worse United team in years, fair play to Fergie. Just shows how important man management is

Over achieving: Bolton, Sunderland and Man United

Under achieving: Chelsea, Man City and Aston Villa

Bolton have a great side now with a great manager and play some good stuff, have a bargain in Gary Cahill, an out an out striker who frightens defenders in Davies and Coyle has brought out Elmanders potential. Lee is another good player and Holden has been great. Sunderland have a Champions league winner just brought in, Muntari and already have some other great players , Henderson, Gyan, Sessegnon and Mensah, and have the money and manager but have really shown potential alike to Bolton. Everyone had Chelsea to win the league again but United havnt played amazing all season but up until recently they have been exremely consistent and havnt been beat. Nani has finally came out of his shell, Berbatov cant stop scoring, Vidic keeps them going and Fergie has the experience.

Chelsea were most people predictions for Champions lost too many games and most players havnt performed at the levels they can. Lost silly games like Sunderland at Home and Wolves Away, not like the normal chelsea. City may be Third but they rely heavily on Tevez and have spent alot of money as a City fan you would expect more. Villa sack their manager at the start of the season then have a poor start, they bring in Houlier who hasnt changed alot. They have alot of great players who are not performing as good as they can e.g Young, Downing, Carew, however since January and the introduction of Bent and Makoun they are pushing on but still in a poor position for them

over achieving united with oldies and birmingham' date='they ll be in europe and sacked,[b']underachieving arsenal they cant win trophey i dont remember for how long[/b] and chelsea this season

How are Arsenal underachieving? No one expected them to be genuine title contenders this season including myself but they are constantly written off out of the top 4 places by idiotic pundits. I think any Arsenal fan would have took 2nd place 3 points behind United with a game in hand at this point if you asked one at the start of the season.

In fact i can put more arguments forth that they are overachieving if anything. The no trophies 6 years argument is hardly relevant now seenin as the squad now is completely different to what it was.

How are Arsenal underachieving? No one expected them to be genuine title contenders this season including myself but they are constantly written off out of the top 4 places by idiotic pundits. I think any Arsenal fan would have took 2nd place 3 points behind United with a game in hand at this point if you asked one at the start of the season.

In fact i can put more arguments forth that they are overachieving if anything. The no trophies 6 years argument is hardly relevant now seenin as the squad now is completely different to what it was.

Arsenal actually has better squad then Man united,much younger,but they need some different strategy ,and better gk and cbs,but i think they are stronger in midfield and in fwd,and have more creative players