A2R

?w=141&h=141

Name: Cenk Tosun

Place of Birth: Wetzlar, Germany

Nationality: Turkish

Position: Forward

Club: Gaziantepspor

Number: 23

Cenk Tosun (pronounced Chenk Towsun) is a striker currently playing in the Turkish Super League for high flyers Gaziantepspor. Born in Germany to Turkish immigrants, he spent his youth career playing for Praunheim and Raunheim, before being scouted by Eintracht Frankfurt.

Cenk spent two seasons playing in the reserves before being promoted to the first team, he only however made one appearance during the 2009/10 season.

2010/11 would be Cenk’s most productive season so far in his short career, where he scored 11 goals in just 13 appearances for the Frankfurt B team. His impressive form for the reserve side however did not go unnoticed, as he was signed in the January transfer window by Gaziantepspor. Due to him feeling his chances were limited at the German side, he rejected a 3 year extension to his contract and opted to join the Turkish side.

On the 6th of February Cenk made his first appearance for his new club, and played the whole 90minutes. Since then he has started the last 8 games, and scored an impressive 7 goals. Again, his brilliant goalscoring form has not gone unnoticed, as Guus Hiddink and the Turkish Football Association have acted quick to persuade him to switch allegiances, and represent Turkey at International level also. This is what he had to say afterwards;

“I had a meeting with Guus Hiddink and his assistant Oguz Cetin in Istanbul. They made me the offer and I was really excited about it."I was absolutely shaking when they first suggested it because playing for my country was something I have dreamed of since childhood."I wasn't expecting it to go this well. My team-mates have helped me adapt quickly to the team and coach Tolunay Kafkas has had no hesitation in using me from the start,"

Before deciding to play for the Turkish National team, Cenk had represented Germany at almost all youth levels, scoring 14 goals in 26apperances. Cenk has also been named in the squad to face Austria in a European Championship qualifier which will take place on the 29th March, in which Guus Hiddink has stated that Cenk will get an opportunity to play.

cenk_tosun_gaziantepspor_10032011.jpg

Cenk(left) celebrating scoring the third goal for Gaziantepspor in their 3-1 win against Sivasspor

Cenk has admitted he looks up to star players such as Fernando Torres and Zlatan Ibrahimovich, and his favourite Turkish players are Tuncay and Arda Turan.

Cenk is quick, strong, can beat defenders either with a piece of skill or just by sheer pace and acceleration. He is also comfortable with the ball with either foot.

In these two videos you can see his two goals scored against Bursapor;

n61qzvsQYIQ

gvRWjf_XbAA

On the database currently he is rated 75! When the Turkish changes do come around, I expect him to get a healthy(+7) rise. So snap him up quick!

Hopefully i can keep you people updated with his progress.

Re: Cenk Tosun [Gaziantepspor Goal-Machine]

Thanks for viewing mate.

Yep, he certainly does have impressive stats, and i'm really hopeful that he makes an immediate impact for Turkey also. As mentioned in the report, he's been called up to play in the Euro qualifier, and i hope he gets a cameo.

An interview with UEFA.com recently..

Cenk Tosun has been blazing a trail in the Turkish Süper Lig since swapping Eintracht Frankfurt for Gaziantepspor in January. After eight goals in nine league and cup outings' date=' the 19-year-old German-born forward is set to complete the leap from Bundeliga reserve to senior international as Turkey host Austria in Tuesday's UEFA EURO 2012 Group A qualifier. He tells UEFA.com about his meteoric rise.

UEFA.com: You have committed to playing for Turkey although you represented Germany at youth level. Was it a difficult decision?

Cenk Tosun: It was not an easy decision. I was born and grew up in Germany but feel 100% Turkish. Talking with [Turkey coach'] Guus Hiddink made a big impact on my decision. He said positive things, including how he wants to see me in the future. I also consulted my club president, coach and family before making a final decision.

I played for Germany from Under-15 to Under-21 level. That was proof of the special regard they hold me in – they had plans for me. But I always said I would pick Turkey in the end. I immediately called my Germany Under-21 coach [Rainer Adrion] after making up mind. He was obviously disappointed but everybody from that side was understanding.

UEFA.com: Turkey have gone four games without a goal. Are you the solution to the problem?

Cenk: Despite some quality forwards we have had problems in front of goal. I am 19 and hope to serve the national team for at least ten years, replicating my Gaziantepspor performance for the national team. It would be great to have a career similar to Hakan Şükür, making my name known everywhere. He was an unbelievable player.

UEFA.com: Do you feel under pressure because of the high expectations?

Cenk: To be honest I don't. Gaziantepspor had problems in attack before signing me, a situation similar to our problem with the national team. I have confidence in myself after what I achieved for my club.

UEFA.com: What do you think about Austria?

Cenk: Normally, Austria are a very good team but they were quite poor against Belgium [on Friday], losing 2-0. I like Ümit Korkmaz, my former team-mate in Frankfurt. FC Twente's Mark Janko is also dangerous up front. Marko Arnautović, Martin Harnik and Zlatko Junuzović are other players to keep an eye on. Their attacking players are good.

UEFA.com: How do you see Turkey's UEFA EURO 2012 qualifying chances? (Hiddink's side are fourth in Group A, nine points behind leaders Germany.)

Cenk: We should be realistic and fight for second. Our fate is in our own hands. If we play to our potential no team can take it from us. Obviously there are hard games to come but we can do it.

UEFA.com: Within three years of turning professional, you have already risen to the senior national team. Did you expect such a dramatic rise?

Cenk: I had a two-year spell at Frankfurt under Michael Skibbe, but couldn't get enough first-team chances because the competition was so tough. Signing for Gaziantepspor was a turning point for me because it opened the way to the national team. I didn't expect it to be quite this fast but everything is working in my favour. Coming to the camp at a very young age, working with a big coach and talented players – this is a huge step for me.

UEFA.com: Why Gaziantepspor?

Cenk: I had offers from various clubs in Germany, for both loans and permanent moves, but Gaziantepspor obviously valued me. They came to Frankfurt a lot to see me; Gaziantepspor president İbrahim Kızıl and coach Tolunay Kafkas phoned me almost every day. Deep down, I felt very close to them. Kafkas had already tried to sign me when he was in charge of Kayserispor but I was only 16 and it was too early to come to Turkey.

As stated, should feature in today's game, i'll post a link to the match later.

Was a must win game for Turkey today, they were under a lot of pressure so Hiddink was reluctant to bring Cenk on, instead used his last substitution to bring on the defensive minded Topul, just to tighten things up a bit.

Was a must win game for Turkey today' date=' they were under a lot of pressure so Hiddink was reluctant to bring Cenk on, instead used his last substitution to bring on the defensive minded Topul, just to tighten things up a bit.[/quote']

Well he got called up and there's a good reason he didn't get his minutes. Should for sure make his debut in the future.

His rise to international recognition reminds me of how quick Gonul Gokhan went from obscurity to the Turkey starting line up!!

Scored a fantastic goal yesterday.

His break through reminds me alot of Yildirim.

Both are similar players in their style of play. After such a blistering start in Turkey, you can't expect Cenk to continue his far in such a manner, but a level of consistency is crucial for him.

As i said before, i feel he didn't come on yesterday because it was a must win game for Turkey. Hiddink went woth experience with his substitute's, and brought on the likes of Semih and Topul. Austria didn't offer much going forward, but Hiddink was still pretty cautious with his subs.

Didn't have a great game today as he looked a bit tired, but neither did his team. Was subbed off in the second half.

Still thats 60 odd more minutes to his name, and will contribute to the big rise expected ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Absolute goal-machine, just comes alive when he's anywhere near the opposition's box, and scores two more goals today to help his side to a 3-2 win.

T6OFQ1C7whM

5kX3wTpzJKM

So now in 8 apperances, Cenk has scored 8 goals and has 4 assists, and 692 minutes to his name(not including the cup game), rise to 82 is minimum.

He is also a must keep after his rise.

• 2 weeks later...

12 goals and 4 assists in 14 matches, not to mention the 11 goals in the German 4th division, which was what brought him to Gaziantepspor in the first place. And he's just 19!

Gaziantepspor is 8 points clear in the 4th place, which means they should be able to qualify for Europa League. It's actually the first time in the last 7 years that they'll be able to play European football. Tosun has to be thanked for this. B)

He's pushing for a +8. At the very least!

12 goals and 4 assists in 14 matches' date=' not to mention the 11 goals in the German 4th division, which was what brought him to Gaziantepspor in the first place. And he's just 19!

Gaziantepspor is 8 points clear in the 4th place, which means they should be able to qualify for Europa League. It's actually the first time in the last 7 years that they'll be able to play European football. Tosun has to be thanked for this. B)

He's pushing for a +8. At the very least![/quote']

hmm i know the turkish league is weak but from what i have seen if he gets a half chance he takes it. although a lot of his goals look to have come from poor defending or lapses his record is amazing.

a +8 now is fine but if he keeps this up he could easily get 88/89....

i hope he does obviiously !

hmm i know the turkish league is weak but from what i have seen if he gets a half chance he takes it. although a lot of his goals look to have come from poor defending or lapses his record is amazing.

His only 'big' goals have come against Gala, but nearly everyone is doing well against them this season. Nearly all his goals have been brilliant individual finishes, tends to switch of in games a bit, but he's still young, and can improve loads.

Credit has to be given to the coach, Kafkas. Vibrant young coach and has showed a lot of confidence in Cenk to not only bring him to the club, but to give him a starting spot.

Never heard anyone complain about this when Inzaghi had his best days :o

Who cares, as long as he keeps banging in the goals and makes progress he'll become a better forward later on :)

Never heard anyone complain about this when Inzaghi had his best days :o

Who cares' date=' as long as he keeps banging in the goals and makes progress he'll become a better forward later on :)[/quote']

that is true ! i wasnt complaining i was just questioning whether he could do it in a bigger league.....

a goal is a goal, no luck involved it takes still to be always in the right place at the right time as he is :)

Archived