O'Donnell

English Championship 7777 - Discussion Thread

Charlton Athletic beat Gillingham 4 - 1 in their Division 2 fixture. Silva scored a goal and was later voted Man of the Match for his performance. Petersen and Morrison were also amongst the goalscorers.

Charlton have made a last push to try and get in the Div 2 playoffs winning the last 3 games with 1 game to go. Now in 7th place on equal points with 6th place Oldham. It's very tight though with 4 more teams below battling for the last playoff space.

54357.jpg

A decent end to the season for us as we beat Blackpool 3-2, twice we came back from a goal down and we we went on to take the win through a Max Arnold Hattrick (His first league goals of the season).We manage to keep the club in the top flight which is nice as it builds on the promotion we managed to get with winning Division two last year.

Defensive, Long Ball, Men Behind Ball & Tight Marking 4-5-1 helped guide us to a 3-2 win over Blackpool courtesy of a hattrick from Max Arnold. Not bad for 10 men. Good luck to the new manager there is a decent side left for whoever takes over and they are still in the top flight.

Loved my few seasons with Bolton I wish the next manager all the best, this is the best five division EC that there is. Good luck all in the season(s) ahead.

You have now quit managing Bolton Wanderers.

Pip said Bolton have been offered to seba munoz who has 356 games in set-up with with Hayes & Yeading United.

Very pleased that Bolton have been offered to a decent manager who has been around a while, I hope he takes the job and then takes them to the next level.

Some QPR's season impressive numbers:

1st place in Division3, 99 points!

118 goals scored in Division 3!!

20 wins at home!

Best Performers:

Andrea Pirlo - 8.35(!) avr rating / 16 goals / 12 assists / 10 MOTM -» DIVISION 3 BEST PLAYER

Carlos Bacca - 8.06 avr. rating / 18 goals / 16 assists / 7 MOTM

Brahimi - 7.74 avr rating / 15 goals / 19 assists / 2 MOTM

Robinho - 7.58 avr rating / 17 goals / 11 assists / 4 MOTM

Again Survive the drop at the death, FGR massive underachievers in this division, must do better next season

Going to list several players for transfer or trades, I really need a new class AM.

GK ADRIAN can definately go, want 8M

With the end of the domestic season over there is no break in sight for Swindon Town manager, Nicholas Fursse, who has already turned his attention to the forthcoming World Cup extravaganza in Germany.

Russia’s manager is one of the longest serving international coaches in the GW having taken over the reins during season 3, which saw Russia’s best showing in the tournament to date with a run to the Quarter-finals that ended with a narrow defeat courtesy of a penalty shoot-out with England.

Since then Russia’s dominance in the World Cup has been innocuous to say the least. Despite qualifying for a further four tournaments they have never progressed further than the group stages.

However, that could be all about to change.

A re-shuffle of personnel and tactics this season has brought the International team to a new elevation. Following the 6-2 defeat to Argentina on the opening match of the last World Cup, Russia went nine games without defeat, conceding a mere 5 goals whilst banging in 23 in reply. This newly discovered confidence resulted in a comfortable qualification this time and has installed a sense of optimism among the Russian fans, who are starting to believe in their side.

Football fever is at a level hitherto unseen in the country with all classes of society swept up in the excitement of the tournament. Even, it seems, at the higher echelons after a video of the Russian premier screwing up the latest list of sanctions from the US into a ball and volleying it into his trash can went viral this week.

Earlier today the draw for the World Cup was made placing Russia in Group C.

The opening match will be against Guinea on Thu 6th August.

I was expecting that we would have to play the opening match first but that’s okay. We know what we have to do but we won’t be under-estimating Guinea. I think they could be the dark horses of the group

Following that Russia will play the Czech Republic.

This could be a tough game, they have a good defensive record and with Petr Cech in goal will be very difficult to break down. I fancy them to be the dark horses of the group

The last group match will be against the Azzurri.

Italy has already won the tournament twice so we know how difficult it will be against them but hopefully we will already have qualified by the time we meet. They missed out on last season’s tournament but that means nothing. I am expecting them to be the dark horses of the group

Having played in Italy himself, the Manager will be perfectly placed to know what he is up against.

That is true. I did play in Italy. It was back in 1981 on a school trip to Sardinia. We played against some other kids on the beach…

At the request of the SMFA all three of Russia’s group matches will be held at the Allianz Arena in Munich, instead of the original location in Berlin, after Russia’s last visit there in 1945 turned a bit messy.

This evening Russia’s team coach, Nicholas Fursse, announced the 22 man squad that will be going to Germany for the Season 10 World Cup Tournament.

Goalkeepers

Igor AKINFEEV (91), Yuri LODYGIN (88)

Despite spending most of the season on the transfer list, Russia’s highest rated player and highest capped player, Igor Akinfeev, is expected to retain the No.1 jersey. Lodygin will be reserve GK and will surely get his time between the posts soon. However, that time is not likely to be now.

Defenders

Dmitri KOMBAROV (89), Yuri ZHIRKOV (88), Evgeni MAKEEV (87), Elmir NABIULLIN (85), Nikita CHERNOV (78), Vasili BEREZUTSKY (88), Sergey IGNASHEVICH (88)

Russia’s defense will, like always, depend heavily on the central duo of Berezutsky & Ignashevich. However, at 36 years, this is likely to be the last tournament for Ignashevich. Having recently left Swindon for external his career is now in the twilight zone but the problem remains as to whom to replace him with. Previously it has been left to Tamworth’s Evgeny Makeev but, with the long term injury to Igor Smolnikov, Makeev will be required to cover the right back position instead. This is a dilemma in real life too, and seeing as the Coach has called up a relatively inexperienced 78 rated 19 year old (Chernov) it would seem that he has no idea either.

In the left back position there is no such dilemma with the Russian side blessed with 3 good attacking left backs. The most probable scenario will be Nabiullin taking the LB role and sitting just behind the more experienced Kombarov.

Midfielders

Igor DENISOV (90), Roman SHIROKOV (90), Denis GLUSHAKOV (89), Magomed OZDOEV (85), Oleg SHATOV (88), Denis CHERYSEV (87), Alan DZAGOEV (90 – injured), Alexsey MIRANCHUK (80), Aleksey IONOV (87), Maxim KANUNNIKOV (85)

Russia’s main hope will be that Crystal Palace star, Roman Shirokov, can put the disappointment of relegation behind him and put in a solid performance at the tournament. The Russian Captain will be tasked with holding the midfield together and is expected to team up with Igor Denisov, who will get the nod ahead of the suspended Glushakov.

Oleg Shatov has made the right wing spot his own having outshone all his competition, including Aleksandr Samedov who didn’t get make the squad. On the left flank both debutantes Cherysev & Kanunnikov did well during the qualifying matches but, as mentioned, the left wing spot is expected to go to Kombarov.

By far the biggest blow to the Russian campaign has been the injury to their creative attacking midfielder, Alan Dzagoev. The Swindon playmaker has been the biggest influence in the turnaround of Russian fortunes this season and his loss cannot be over-emphasized. Dzagoev has been named in the squad but will miss all three group matches. However, if Russia should progress he may be fit enough for the knockout rounds.

How this will affect the Russian plans remains to be seen. With no direct replacement for Dzagoev it is difficult to see how the same formation will work.

Forwards

Artem DZYUBA (87), Aleksandr KOKORIN (89), Aleksandr KERZHAKOV (88)

Swindon’s top scorer, Artem Dzyuba, is expected to start alongside Aleksandr Kokorin. Despite being dropped for the last World Cup, Kerzhakov has worked his way back into the team following a good season with his new club, but with another drop in rating surely on the cards, he is not expected to play a major part.

Well made the playoffs with a game to spare. Regardless the current Bath project ends win or lose, as I'm shipping 20M + a year to maintain a promotion challenge,. Next season will be a rinse and repeat , I will hope to build up a fighting fund of 200M + and then run for promotion again or a top 5 finish in D1

I'm looking for a better season with Blackburn next term. We managed to stay up by the skin of our teeth but since I came in towards the end of the season the squad has changed markedly and we should be up fighting at the other end of the league this time.

I thought I would look at the 7777 history for division 1 and see what promoted teams from division 2 have survived the longest.

The list goes in order of 1st,2nd and play off winner and the number next to them is when they got relegated

Season 1

Millwall-S4

Preston-S6

Leeds-S4

Season 2

Man City

Colchester-S7

Shorpe- S10

Season 3

Blackburn-S5

Crystal Palace- S10

Sheffield United

Season 4

Everton

Nottingham Forest- S7

Plymouth

Season 5

Leeds

West Ham- S6

Middlesborough

Season 6

Wrexham-S7

Charlton-S9

Hull City- S9

Season 7

Newcastle-S8

Preston-S8

Sheffield Wednesday

Season 8

Chelsea

Millwall-S9

Peterborough

Season 9

Bolton

Newcastle

Aston Villa

Season 10

Hereford

Sunderland

Bath

Looking at the list. Man city are now currently the longest surviving team in division 1 after being promoted due to Shorpe being relegated in season 10.

Sheffield United are now the second longest surviving team with next season being 8 seasons on a trot, may it continue.

Arsenal reject Chelsea bid for James!

Just a few days after Arsenal have won back-to-back Division 1 titles. Pip has been active in the transfer market, bringing in goalkeeper Mathew Ryan(87) who will be second behind Bernd Leno(90) and send Sergio Rico(86) on loan next season. Kevin Mirallas(90) has departed the club after a great season with 12 goals and 6 assists in 27 games for the club. Jason Denayer(85) joins from Wycombe Wanderers in a deal that saw Mirallas(90) join for 8 million and Denayer(85) in return for 10 million.

Just recently Chelsea expressed their interest for Arsenal's top midfielder, James Rodriguez(93) offering the club, the Colombian striker Radamel Falcao(93) and top right back/left back Cesar Azpilicueta(92). Pip admitted, he was tempted but rejected the offer. He expressed, "It was a great offer, it would definitely have improved our team attacking wise and defensively as both would have been starters for us." However, it seems the Colombian midfielder will stay another season as they look to win their 3rd league title. The 24 year old started in 36 games for the Gunners, with 9 goals and 6 assists.

21altti.jpg

Things started off very brightly for Cardiff on the transfer front. Looking to put a stamp on the team so been a few ins and outs. Looking to shapen up the defence now so be looking to ship out Bendtner and Aaron Hunt to help achieve the kind of players I want to bring in. Ospina can leave as I've stated on the wall along with West Hams Winston Reid.

Arsenal

Players available for loan next season:

Rico (86) –

Esgaio (85) –

Ebecilio (85) –

Selke (85) –

Lopez (85) –

Pizarro (84) –

Sinkgraven (84) –

Mbaye (84) –

Danilo (83) –

Walace (83) –

Vezo (83) –

Lopez (83) –

Lichnovsky (82) –

Klostermann (82) –

Diks (82) –

Iniguez (82) –

Apologies for not posting recently but having just taken Russia to the brink of World Cup Glory (finishing Runners-up to Champions England, with Swindon Striker Artem Dzyuba winning the golden boot) I have been rather busy with all the pomp & ceremonies in Moscow.

First off there was the state dinner at the Kremlin to celebrate my "Order of Merit" award for services rendered to Russian Football before being whisked off to Alexander Palace in Saint Petersburg for the grand unveiling of my signed portrait that now hangs proudly on the wall next to the statue of Yuri Gagarin. Then it was down south to the Rostov for the formal opening of a state-of-the-art Vodka factory, a ceremony that lasted way too long into the night for my liking...

Anyway, I managed to return to the office in Swindon in time to oversee a few internal deals in preparation for the new season.

First off we managed to sign Dmitri Kombarov from Sheffield Utd in an exchange deal that saw Elmir Nabiullin & Maxim Kanunnikov depart the other way. A good deal for both clubs as we get an established 89 rated international to strengthen our left back position, whilst the Blades get a couple of promising young prospects for the future.

Quincy Promes joined us from Aston Villa for a club record fee of 16m.

Sardar Azmoun joins us from Everton on loan.

Borges Romulo departs to Forest Green Rovers for just under 6m.

Alexandr Samedov signs for Nottingham Forest for 9.3m.

Already 3 games into the season and so far, for us, it has been a little comme ci comme ca with 2 draws and a defeat, but we hope to get the first win under our belts next Saturday against Fleetwood Town.

Swindon Town slumped to a 1 - 0 defeat to Queens Park Rangers in their Division 2 fixture.

Narrowly lost out to my old buddy, Andre, whose team get their revenge for the play-off final penalty shoot out that we won at their expense to get to Division 2 a couple of seasons ago.

To be fair, we defended pretty well & I felt we were going to get a point until a last minute strike from substitute Lucas Lima put paid to all that. It looks like it's going to be another tough season for the Robins and seeing my strikers achieving yet another clean sheet is a bit depressing.

On the international front the World Cup Qualifiers have started already. Tonight Russia face Nigeria so I hope the team have sobered up after all the celebrations. As for me, the success of the last WC has resulted in me receiving many high profile job offers,,,, Sports Editor for the Wiltshire Times,,,, Mayor of Swindon,,,,, Manager of Scotland,,,, However, I would prefer to remain in Football so the Sports Editor's job was slightly tempting but in the end I rejected all the above.

Nice to be wanted though. :)