O'Donnell

English Championship 7777 - Discussion Thread

Well what a week this has been!!

At the beginning of last week I was celebrating my 400th game in charge of Swindon after the 4-0 destruction of up-the-road rivals, Oxford by enjoying the crate of Tyskie beer that my Chairman insisted was a top quality chemical-free beer he had imported from Poland.

I had just about sobered up by Wednesday evening to make the trip to Millwall only to find that the Players had all got together to demand a pay rise.  Even in my inebriated state I didn't need a calculator to work out that that would mean approximately a 50% increase on our already over-budget, over-stretched and thoroughly un-deserved wage bill.

My Chairman was so put out he couldn't speak for the entire match, which, it turns out, was to be one of the few positives to come out of the week.

When he returned to the office he decided to retaliate by reducing the value of most of the players.  "There, that will teach them" he said as he wiped off 10m from the clubs value in one fell swoop.... ten minutes later the Swindon stock exchange collapsed and both shareholders were on the blower.....

Give the old codger credit though, just when you think he couldn't come up with a worse idea he always manages to lower the bar somehow.

Thursday morning I was still sleeping off the rest of that rather fine Tyskie when I got rudely awakened by the phone.  It was the Chairman insisting I come straight to the stadium.  Fortunately I was still in my car in the car park outside so I didn't have far to go.

There he was, with his hard hat and yellow flourescent work jacket, admiring his handiwork and looking all smug and pleased with himself.  "Yep, if the team wants a pay rise then no problem. I just added 3612 extra seats to the ground, which should cover the increase in wages plus bring in a little extra.  Here, have another crate of Tyskie...."

Well at the weekend's home match against Charlton he learned a very valuable lesson... well, 3612 actually,,,, yep, not one extra seat was sold...

So,,, to summarise,,,, the players now have an extra 50% of the wage bill to share between them,, we shaved 10m off the value of the club,,,, the builders want the money tomorrow for installing the extra empty seats,,, and, to cap it all, the chairman just received the import bill for the crates of Tyskie.

It was a pretty good beer though, so at least he got something right  :)

78_1354266006.jpg

Well, the end of another year and the end of another season.  Overall it turned out to be a pretty successful one in the end, despite flirting with the drop zone for most of it, finally getting our act together to achieve a respectable 10th place finish.  

Not bad considering Swindon are the lowest rated and lowest valued club in the division!

The recent upgrade, the aim of which seemed to be to punish the small clubs in order to teach the big clubs a lesson, didn't help us out much.  We received a 20m haircut in terms of squad value and saw the wage bill inflate by almost 50%.  Something that a small budget club like ours can ill afford.

On the positive side we did receive a stadium upgrade of approximately 3600 extra seats but, even with a 10th place finish, we still did not manage to attract enough fans to warrant it and therefore received little benefit with regard to offsetting the increased expenditure.

We are happy with the 10th place finish though and my Chairman must be extremely satisfied considering his pre-season expectations were simply for us to avoid relegation.  At least it means I can put off a visit to the local job centre for another season!!

We have already begun the task of re-shaping our financial model however.  The higher echelons of the club have decided that our previous policy of buying players cheap and selling externally for a profit will not work in the new financial climate.  For my part I was left under no illusion that I have to reduce the squad wage bill.

To that end I have already shaved off around 100k off the weekly bill.  First we sold Bebras Natcho (again) to Everton for 10m.  He was quickly followed by the transfer of Vasili Berezutsky to Dagenham & Redbridge for a fee of 3m.  Lastly Dimitri Kombarov went externally for a fee just under 9m.

To fill the gaps we have brought in some younger but lower rated players.

To replace Natcho we promoted Roman Zobnin to the first team.  Having only recently risen to 83 he was quick to develop concerns and so we decided that, if he thinks he is good enough, we will give him the chance to prove it.  So far he hasn't let himself down.

In defense we replaced the older, wiser & experienced Russian international, Berezutsky, with two lower rated younger players.  Our lack of depth in this area meant that we were forced to field 78 rated players anyway last season so it seemed a good move to bring in an extra pair of boots.  So we brought in Wily Boly (85), who is playing regularly for Sporting de Braga and 86 rated John Anthony Brooks, who is a regular DC for this seasons Bundesliga surprise package, Hertha Berlin.

On the left side of defense Kombarov has been replaced by Maciej Rybus.  The Polish international possesses similar versatility as Kombarov but, at 3 ratings lower, will only cost us a third of the wages.

I don't see us making any other changes to the squad before the new season.  Whether this reduction of the overall rating of our team will push our luck too far and end up being our undoing only time will tell.  We have done what we can to keep the accountants happy and hopefully we can keep up the form we showed at the end of last season to keep the fans happy as well.......

Charlton finished 9th in Div 2 and failed to get into the playoffs, unlike last season.

Tranquillo BARNETTA leaves the club with his move to Philadelphia Union for £5,712,000. He served the club well for 7 seasons, making 173 starts, scoring 24 goals, 42 assists, and 5 MOMs. He makes way for López ADRIÁN who cost  £8,500,000 from Queens Park Rangers.

Just a curiosity about Wales' teams. There are probably more, I don't know, but Newport, Cardiff and Swansea are on Div3 for the last three seasons.

Swansea and Cardiff are both without a manager at the moment, and I think it's not the first time that this happens. Different patterns though. Swansea had 22 managers since the start while Cardiff had only 4.

Newport had 6 managers before me. I'm at the commands for 377 games now - more than 3 years. How time flies!

Some of you have more games in EC7777, some of you have less, why don't you share your experience until now? Let's reactivate this thread a bit?!

Just a curiosity about Wales' teams. There are probably more, I don't know, but Newport, Cardiff and Swansea are on Div3 for the last three seasons.

You forgot Wrexham.   :)  They have been in Division 2 for a while now I think.

I've been Swindon's manager for 4 years now.  I would leave but no other club will even give me an interview.  Currently I can't leave anyway until the SMFA have concluded their investigation into some financial irregularities at my club.  At the beginning of the season my Chairman injected a large sum of cash into the club, which I duly spent on two Russian players....  Denis Glushakov (12m from Nottingham Forest) and a club record of 17.5m for Alexander Kokorin from Tamworth.

However, it now turns out that the money didn't actually belong to my Chairman.  Everything should be okay though, the wonderful people of Swindon have all got together and are selling off the town's church & hospital to help raise some money so the Chairman can pay off the debt.

In other news our cup run was finally put to an end last night by Watford.  Actually it was the first round but that's still a pretty good run by our standards.   :)

Luton Town have appointed James Burrow as manager on a three year deal. The London based club decided to part with previous manager Muhammed Kocul after a 4-1 thrashing at the hands of Histon in the First Round of the EFL Cup. The appointment is seen as a massive coup for the Hatters, given Burrow's experience on a domestic and international level. Things already look to have taken a turn for the better, with Luton triumphing 2-1 over Macclesfield in Burrow'sfirst match in charge. We managed to get a brief word with the manager after last night's game:

"It was a solid performance. This was the first opportunity I've had to properly see the players in action. Obviously the team selection is somewhat dictated by the injuries we have but once they are fully fit then we will look at possible new signings."

It has been rumoured that captain Rafael van den Vaart could be soon leaving, as will Alberto Gilardino, with the Italians contract due to expire at the end of the season.

Luton Town have appointed James Burrow as manager on a three year deal. The London based club decided to part with previous manager Muhammed Kocul after a 4-1 thrashing at the hands of Histon in the First Round of the EFL Cup. The appointment is seen as a massive coup for the Hatters, given Burrow's experience on a domestic and international level. Things already look to have taken a turn for the better, with Luton triumphing 2-1 over Macclesfield in Burrow'sfirst match in charge. We managed to get a brief word with the manager after last night's game:

"It was a solid performance. This was the first opportunity I've had to properly see the players in action. Obviously the team selection is somewhat dictated by the injuries we have but once they are fully fit then we will look at possible new signings."

It has been rumoured that captain Rafael van den Vaart could be soon leaving, as will Alberto Gilardino, with the Italians contract due to expire at the end of the season.

Good to see you back James,

things ain't what they used to be ,unfortunately.

Luton have completed the signing of Alex McCarthy and Tom Lawrence. McCarthy will contest Emiliano Viviano for a starting spot, while Lawrence is more one for the future. Ryan Fulton has signed too, meaning both Viviano and the other keeper are available.

Luton drew 1-1 at the weekend. I quite like the 2D match engine, even if it is very simple.

You forgot Wrexham.   :)  They have been in Division 2 for a while now I think.

Indeed I forgot them. I remember the old days when I was playing Championship Manager offline with my brother. We once started a game from the lowest division. I was with York and he was with Wrexham. Good old days, with a lot less responsibility :)

Swansea and Cardiff are both without a manager at the moment, and I think it's not the first time that this happens. Different patterns though. Swansea had 22 managers since the start while Cardiff had only 4.

Newport had 6 managers before me. I'm at the commands for 377 games now - more than 3 years. How time flies!

Some of you have more games in EC7777, some of you have less, why don't you share your experience until now? Let's reactivate this thread a bit?!

I think Im up too 500+ with Shorpe. Started as the worst division  2 side, got to division 1 and stayed there for 8 season then eventually got relegated!

I think Im up too 500+ with S######horpe. Started as the worst division  2 side, got to division 1 and stayed there for 8 season then eventually got relegated!

Congrats Riece, good luck with the next 500...

Hilarious that they sensor the word #### in S####horpe don't you think?

I wonder if they do the same for ####nal? :)

Congrats Riece, good luck with the next 500...

Hilarious that they sensor the word #### in S####horpe don't you think?

I wonder if they do the same for ####nal? :)

Yeah i find it funny haha. Bit stupid though, but cheers that is atleast another 4 years for next 500!!

Indeed I forgot them. I remember the old days when I was playing Championship Manager offline with my brother. We once started a game from the lowest division. I was with York and he was with Wrexham. Good old days, with a lot less responsibility :)

Championship manager in the good old days?  and CM then,  about 50 years ahead of sm's single player game now!