Revision for Exams

Teachers say to me that I should revise at least 4 hours on a weekday and 3 on each weekend day ahead of my end of year GCSE exams, I was dumbstruck and surprised by this ridiculous suggestion. I honestly don't see the point of so much revision. I've got very good results in my other early entry exams so far without revising much so I just wanted to see if anyone thinks the same :)

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Revision for Exams

I never did a set time per day, nor do I think that's a good way to go about it.

Start off by recapping questions, texts and notes you've covered in classes. Then do a handful of past papers to see which bits you know (you're unlikely to forget these) and which bits you don't. Then spend time focusing on these areas. Look at notes and revision guides in depth on these topics, practice a lot of questions and mark them making sure you understand where you've gone wrong and how to rectify it. Then you can work through more past papers and refine your technique in the final run up to your exams.

I try to avoid cramming a lot on the night/morning before exams. A good rest is much more beneficial and makes you worry far less :)

GCSE's are ridiculously easy, at the time they're the hardest thing ever, but then you get to A-levels and everything goes up a notch ;)

And I disagree with Stuart, I find cramming at the last minute much more effective because everything is in your head and you've read everything only last night when you go into the exam, making it easier to remember :)

Best thing to do is re read the notes.

Copy out important notes.

From memory attempt to re write these notes in even shorter sentences, bullet points if you will.

Write out cue cards with these bullet points on, read them, then try to recall them.

There are a few different types of learning styles, but that should cover 2 of them.

I never did a set time per day' date=' nor do I think that's a good way to go about it.

Start off by recapping questions, texts and notes you've covered in classes. Then do a handful of past papers to see which bits you know (you're unlikely to forget these) and which bits you don't. Then spend time focusing on these areas. Look at notes and revision guides in depth on these topics, practice a lot of questions and mark them making sure you understand where you've gone wrong and how to rectify it. Then you can work through more past papers and refine your technique in the final run up to your exams.

I try to avoid cramming a lot on the night/morning before exams. A good rest is much more beneficial and makes you worry far less :)[/quote']

They gave us this booklet and tell us make a timetable 2 months before the exams and stick to it :eek: They said to plan out social and educational events :rolleyes: I mean , how can I plan out 2 months of my life the same each and every week then stick to it, rather ridiculous to me as I can't plan my life like that for 2 months B) I just prefer reading through notes and revision guides which always seem to work for me rather than making games and cards and all the stuff.

Looking back GCSE's were the most ridiculously easy exams iv ever seen. I revised for a day or two before each exam.

If you look at some of the questions they so are ridiculously easy!

Nothing to worry about.

Do some revision obviously but dont work yourself up over it!

I got full marks on one of the 3 Science modules I have to do and I think I might have only done about 3-4 hours revision the day before and the rest in class :D

GCSE's are ridiculously easy' date=' at the time they're the hardest thing ever, but then you get to A-levels and everything goes up a notch ;)

And I disagree with Stuart, I find cramming at the last minute much more effective because everything is in your head and you've read everything only last night when you go into the exam, making it easier to remember :)[/quote']

Last minute revision person are you :P

I'm gonna reserve all my effort into education for my A Levels :D

I think most teachers will tell you to revise an excessive amount as they have no life and assume you're in the same position. Certain teachers expected me to be revising at Christmas which is completely unrealistic. Some of the teachers that have more common sense tell me to revise about half an hour a night starting now. Realistic. But not for me.

I personally cannot revise no matter what I do. I find it incredibly boring and would, frankly, rather stare blankly at the page for an hour than either try to read it or make any form of notes on it.

I would be very surpised if I managed to motivate myself to do anything more than an hours reading the night before each exam. Even if I manage that much!

I think most teachers will tell you to revise an excessive amount as they have no life and assume you're in the same position. Certain teachers expected me to be revising at Christmas which is completely unrealistic. Some of the teachers that have more common sense tell me to revise about half an hour a night starting now. Realistic. But not for me.

I would rather live my life and put as little effort into education as possible than listen to a teacher and revise that much' date=' seems rather pointless

I personally cannot revise no matter what I do. I find it incredibly boring and would, frankly, rather stare blankly at the page for an hour than either try to read it or make any form of notes on it.

Very hard to convince yourself and discipline yourself to sit down for a few hours to stare at endless pages and books of revision. I am very vulnerable to going off track after literally minutes :o

I would be very surpised if I managed to motivate myself to do anything more than an hours reading the night before each exam. Even if I manage that much!

Starting 4 hours each day 1-2 months of a exam doesn't really work for me as I would forget it all and revising the day before works much better for me :)

I have my GCSE's in a couple of weeks time..

Everyday I always say' date=' tomorrow I will revise and I keep on saying that but never actually get round to doing it:o[/quote']

Hard to start isn't it :D Good luck though :)

I have my GCSE's in a couple of weeks time..

Everyday I always say' date=' tomorrow I will revise and I keep on saying that but never actually get round to doing it:o[/quote']

Same here mate , always another distraction or thing to do which is more important :o

Had my 'time table' up for the last 3 weeks so far i advent achieved much just watching videos on YouTube about Russia , Germany and the cold war etc, Action films for English , reading Geography notes and a bit of maths.

I'm whatever they call them people that learns from watching , I can't take in large amounts of information when someone stands there and explains to me. I find it easier watching a documentary or watching someone doing what I have to do. Shame my maths teachers just explained and not shown what to do for the last year and a bit , all vie had is constant text book so I get easily distracted and lack motivation , ive improved over the last few weeks but my grades have crashed from last years mock which was a B to a low D ... I'm predicted an A :o:(

Its a bit off topic..

but whoever's doing edexcel for maths the grade boundaries are quite low:D

something like 30% for a C

50% for a B and 70% for a A.

This is for the higher paper though. If I revise maths I should be able to get 70% or above

I've already finished my GCSE Maths exam and got just 3 marks onto an A, doing AQA Additional Maths now :rolleyes:

I can't revise, I get so bored and distracted, my teachers say the same about revising for hours and hours but i did well in my early entry exams without revising.

But during the easter break i have some revision sessions in school so i will go to them and thats about the only bit off revision i would do :o

I can't revise' date=' I get so bored and distracted, my teachers say the same about revising for hours and hours but i did well in my early entry exams without revising.

But during the easter break i have some revision sessions in school so i will go to them and thats about the only bit off revision i would do :o[/quote']

I promised to go to my Business Studies easter revision class but I really cannot be asked to go. My holidays are my only time to take my mind of learning and boring school and they want me to use it to revise 2 months ahead of my Business exam :rolleyes: I don't think I have ever revised for more than 2 hours in a day and my grades are good. Revision is overrated IMO :D

Not in England so can't really relate to GCSEs and such.

But some APs here in the US are quite the piece of work. And college exams.

Generally preparation for big and difficult exams should be distributed over no less than 3 weeks. I use 5-6 weeks as a standard.

The day before the test, I spend no more than an hour over the entire material. Basically just review study questions/problems I've prepared and gone over already several times before.

Well you should be treating GCSE's in the same way you feel you will treat A Level's.

They're just as important.

IMO you'll definitely have to put in more work into A Levels that GCSEs so I know what he means. They're on a whole different level but yeh GCSEs are important so make sure you have an idea of each subject at least, without the required GCSEs youll get rejected for A levels. Ive had experience from A Levels, so much harder. You'll have to do all nighters revising for A levels if you dont revise through the day which is what I did:D

I am certain that teachers will tell you to study a certain amount of hours as they know you will study a lot less. If they told you the straight up truth that a few hours a week should be enough for an average person, than everybody would then not even look at their books. :P What else are they supposed to say. Saying that, when revision is done properly, than you would probably turn a C into a B or something like that. I never liked revising myself, I feel that you should do the job properly the first time around, write summaries that will stick in your head while you are doing it as opposed to scribbling all over the book and using markers on it, to revise later on. That's too passive, and will likely wreck your head later, and you don't learn as much. Do the notes at the time, and you should remember most of it. :)

IMO you'll definitely have to put in more work into A Levels that GCSEs so I know what he means. They're on a whole different level but yeh GCSEs are important so make sure you have an idea of each subject at least' date=' without the required GCSEs youll get rejected for A levels. Ive had experience from A Levels, so much harder. You'll have to do all nighters revising for A levels if you dont revise through the day which is what I did:D[/quote']

It's like a footballer, if he's not putting in the effort for Chester, there's no way he'll be moving to Chelsea anytime soon. ;)

I agree A Level's is a different ball game, but GCSE's are just as important.