• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Revision for Exams

Anyone started going to open days or started their ucas application yet?

Yeah so far I've been to Manchester, Manchester Met and Liverpool. Planning on going to Lancaster, Sheffield and Sheffield Hallam open days aswell. Definitely want to move away from home and Liverpool Uni was nice, but the accommodation was really disgusting. So, at the moment I'm more inclined to stay at home and go to one of the Manchester Uni's. Hoping, I like Sheffield and Lancaster though. At college we've started having meetings about our UCAS applications and I've started writing my personal statement.

Yeah so far I've been to Manchester' date=' Manchester Met and Liverpool. Planning on going to Lancaster, Sheffield and Sheffield Hallam open days aswell. Definitely want to move away from home and Liverpool Uni was nice, but the accommodation was really disgusting. So, at the moment I'm more inclined to stay at home and go to one of the Manchester Uni's. Hoping, I like Sheffield and Lancaster though. At college we've started having meetings about our UCAS applications and I've started writing my personal statement.[/quote']

I've only been the Brunel so far, decent uni for engineering and only 10 minutes by bus so I won't have to bother about accommodation ;) Gotta make a long train journey to Imperial on Thursday for their open day but all the open days to Oxford, UCL and Bristol are fully booked. Would've loved to apply for Sheffield Uni's Civil engineering course but it's too far away :(

I've filled in everything but my personal statement now, seems like a lot of effort :D

Hoping' date=' I like Sheffield and Lancaster though. At college we've started having meetings about our UCAS applications and I've started writing my personal statement.[/quote']

The Sheffield accommodation I looked round is very nice, don't know about Hallam.

Think it's called Oakholme something, was built a couple of years ago and has catering in the blocks etc, went to school just next to it. People get put off it as it seems a bit further from the City center but you catch the 120 bus at the top of the road and get into town/most uni buildings within 7mins and also a tram stop that goes all over the place (Cinemas/Arena/Bowling/Meadowhall [massive shopping center]) and there's half a dozen supermarkets within walking distance/short bus ride. If you want any info on Sheffield just message me!

As for those writing Personal Statements, horrible aint it!? Did about 10drafts before the teacher said it was decent enough to send off, whenever I read it back-major cringe. If you're planning on going to Uni (Gonna sound like a nagging teacher here) do your personal statement asap and aim to get it sent off by the Oxbridge deadline, this way you will seem very eager, you are more likely to get in as uni's haven't filled up their spaces and it makes you look smarter as some Uni's expect the early applications to also have applied to Oxbridge which obviously makes you look smarter than you are (daft I know but the higher success rates always come from the early applicants!) which all goes in your favor. And be a right pain in the arsenal for your teacher by doing draft after draft, nag them to look at your draft asap, even get an email if possible and get a couple of teachers to look over it for you before sending it off!

I've only been the Brunel so far' date=' decent uni for engineering and only 10 minutes by bus so I won't have to bother about accommodation ;) Gotta make a long train journey to Imperial on Thursday for their open day but all the open days to Oxford, UCL and Bristol are fully booked. Would've loved to apply for Sheffield Uni's Civil engineering course but it's too far away :(

I've filled in everything but my personal statement now, seems like a lot of effort :D[/quote']

Yeah it's really hard writing it and trying to make yourself stand out. When you read through examples online and people are putting stuff about all the voluntary work they've done, Duke of Edinburgh awards etc and I'm thinking I've done nothing like that!

The Sheffield accommodation I looked round is very nice' date=' don't know about Hallam.

Think it's called Oakholme something, was built a couple of years ago and has catering in the blocks etc, went to school just next to it. People get put off it as it seems a bit further from the City center but you catch the 120 bus at the top of the road and get into town/most uni buildings within 7mins and also a tram stop that goes all over the place (Cinemas/Arena/Bowling/Meadowhall [massive shopping center']) and there's half a dozen supermarkets within walking distance/short bus ride. If you want any info on Sheffield just message me!

Ok thanks mate and yeah been Sheffield a few times and find it a nice City, plus it's only about 50 minutes on the train. Very convenient to get to and can easily travel back home at weekends if I'm bored. My mate went to the Sheffield open day and he said the Uni and the accommodation was nice. Sheffield is the 7th best Uni in the country for Geography and it's ABB (with two sciences) to get in, which I think is definitely achievable.

As for those writing Personal Statements' date=' horrible aint it!? Did about 10drafts before the teacher said it was decent enough to send off, whenever I read it back-major cringe. If you're planning on going to Uni (Gonna sound like a nagging teacher here) do your personal statement asap and aim to get it sent off by the Oxbridge deadline, this way you will seem very eager, you are more likely to get in as uni's haven't filled up their spaces and it makes you look smarter as some Uni's expect the early applications to also have applied to Oxbridge which obviously makes you look smarter than you are (daft I know but the higher success rates always come from the early applicants!) which all goes in your favor.[/quote']

I'm not so sure about that. In my opinion, applying before the Oxbridge deadline shows to other universities that they're not your first choice, rather a back up if you don't get chosen by either Oxford or Cambridge.

No' date=' can leave school when your 16 at the end of year 11.[/quote']

Ahh Yeah I think we have the same education system here in Canada but up to a point. Does every school wear uniforms no matter if its public, catholic, protestant etc?

I think the education standards in England and everywhere else teaches you alot more complex stuff then here in Canada. I think your last year calculus is basically our first year uni :o

I have no idea what sixth form is :P I thought you guys take 5 years in High School then go into university :confused:

It's 5 years in high school (leaving at the end of year 11), two years in college/sixth form (a sixth form is quite similar to a college), then a few years in university (not entirely sure how many, 2/3 I think) :)

It's 5 years in high school (leaving at the end of year 11)' date=' two years in college/sixth form (a sixth form is quite similar to a college), then a few years in university (not entirely sure how many, 2/3 I think) :)[/quote']

so at the min, its 9 years to get a uni degree in england? :)

In Canada, in Grade 12( which is the final year), the entering age is 17 years old or if you will become 17 after december 31st. Then after completing grade 12, you graduate from secondary and then given a option to either repeat and take Grade 13 or go out for university,college,apprenticeship,workforce etc.

and It takes 4 years in university most often to get a degree here :P

Ahh Yeah I think we have the same education system here in Canada but up to a point. Does every school wear uniforms no matter if its public' date=' catholic, protestant etc?

I think the education standards in England and everywhere else teaches you alot more complex stuff then here in Canada. I think your last year calculus is basically our first year uni :o[/quote']

Yeah school is compulsory until your 16. Then any education after that is your choice. Although most people do carry on with further education, as obviously the more qualifications you have the better jobs you will be rewarded with. I don't know of any schools that don't wear uniform, but there probably are a few somewhere.

I'm not so sure about that. In my opinion' date=' applying before the Oxbridge deadline shows to other universities that they're not your first choice, rather a back up if you don't get chosen by either Oxford or Cambridge.[/quote']

Unis don't seem to see it like that, just going on what happened with us last year and what we were told you stand a far better chance applying early. I know it's a bit different but most Medicine applicants had Bio-Med Sci as their 5th choice and even though the personal statement is obviously written for Medicine everyone got offers for it as the Unis know you're going to be a good candidate if you're going for Medicine (or in this case Oxbridge).

@Geoffrey, is Canada the same as USA regarding education? Think they do more subjects than us but on a more basic level which makes 1st year of Uni similar to A-levels!?

@BenNewman, yeah it's 2-5 years at Uni, Normally 3.

I'm not so sure about that. In my opinion' date=' applying before the Oxbridge deadline shows to other universities that they're not your first choice, rather a back up if you don't get chosen by either Oxford or Cambridge.[/quote']

Not true.

ALWAYS APPLY AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE.

I have proof.

Does the personal statement even mean that much? I am applying for Quantity Surveying so my personal statement was all focused towards that. However I also applied for a Building Surveying course and I was accepted on that as well. I know they are similar but a couple of friends of mine also applied for a number of different courses based on completely different subjects and still got accepted despite their personal statement being on their number one choice.

Does the personal statement even mean that much? I am applying for Quantity Surveying so my personal statement was all focused towards that. However I also applied for a Building Surveying course and I was accepted on that as well. I know they are similar but a couple of friends of mine also applied for a number of different courses based on completely different subjects and still got accepted despite their personal statement being on their number one choice.

Do it well.

That being said, most personal statements don't stand out and it will only matter if it stands out.

It only stands out if:

1. It's very unique/inspirational and good (e.g. I was homeless for the last 3 years).

2. It's written very poorly...obviously don't do this