• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Revision for Exams

I'm fairly certain we do in Sixth Form for Multimedia but maybe I am wrong' date=' I'm sure code small games next year actually.[/quote']

It might have changed since I did GCSE's (was a few years a go now and this makes me feel old :() but when I did it, it was so tedious and I just sat there for most of the two years playing games and then did all the two years work in the space of two weeks and got an A*.

It might have changed since I did GCSE's (was a few years a go now and this makes me feel old :() but when I did it' date=' it was so tedious and I just sat there for most of the two years playing games and then did all the two years work in the space of two weeks and got an A*.[/quote']

Yeah thats exactly CAT, just basic computer knowledge to be secretaries and basic admin etc

Yeah thats exactly CAT' date=' just basic computer knowledge to be secretaries and basic admin etc[/color']

That's what IT was in my school, think it was the same at A Level as well, didn't do it at A Level as I am lazy and that subject had to much work you had to do in your own time.

It might have changed since I did GCSE's (was a few years a go now and this makes me feel old :() but when I did it' date=' it was so tedious and I just sat there for most of the two years playing games and then did all the two years work in the space of two weeks and got an A*.[/quote']

For me I just went through and did all the work up to the A way ahead of my class and now I just make sure I'm on A in Multimedia and just play games. Got one more project to do in Year 11 but they want to pace me so I don't just sit there for months playing games, I'm in a really bad class for Core IT and the rest of my class have barely passed the current project, it's so easy if you're prepared to actually work.

That's what IT was in my school' date=' think it was the same at A Level as well, didn't do it at A Level as I am lazy and that subject had to much work you had to do in your own time.[/quote']

Thats messed, as far as I know IT is just pure coding really nothing more nothing less. Well asleast in SA it is

:P

After moving back with my Mum I'd forgotten all about this horrible language' date=' I think I'll get to drop it soon but if not then what a waste of my time, so far I've had an F and a G (yes they exist) on past papers, it's hard to learn when you've lived in Wales for about 2 years of your life, not even consecutive.

Oh yeah, also do RS Short Course which I don't mind, it's easy enough and pretty chilled and interesting.[/quote']

It doesn't really matter though unless you look like you might not be able to get 5/6 GCSE's, I don't really know why I bothered to be honest.

I've lived in Wales all my life and the only sentence I can put together now is Dw i'n Hoffi Coffi.

• 1 month later...

Well done' date=' Riece. Not least for being honest about your results, unlike most people.[/quote']

Cheers man.I'm quite pleased with my results

C in Maths

C in Literature

D in Eng-Language

C in Science

B In P.e

Pretty much have the main ones high which was my goal

I got E in Geography-Struggled with it

D in R.e

D in Ict

Anyone got any tips before I head off to University? (I'm living on Campus)

Such as do's' date=' dont's, and such? :)[/quote']

- Get your head down. You can work and still fit in a great social life. Getting used to the work (not necessarily the difficulty but the style of independent learning) early on will prepare you well for later years when you might need to study more.

- Party too. Get to know people in freshers week, particularly those you'll be living near to/with. Propping your door open when you're in can instigate conversation.

- Join a society/societies. Wish I'd done this at uni as you can keep up/get new interests with like-minded people and future committee roles look great on your CV.

- Budget. You'll want to celebrate the end of your semesters so it's worth having the money to do so. On this note, it's much easier to cook for yourself than buy in food and it's really easy to do (plus very useful for later life).

- Find out where's cheap. You might not have much option if you're on campus but often student unions and shops are dearer than high street alternatives.

- Wrap up ;)

- Enjoy it :)

- Get your head down. You can work and still fit in a great social life. Getting used to the work (not necessarily the difficulty but the style of independent learning) early on will prepare you well for later years when you might need to study more.

- Party too. Get to know people in freshers week' date=' particularly those you'll be living near to/with. Propping your door open when you're in can instigate conversation.

- Join a society/societies. Wish I'd done this at uni as you can keep up/get new interests with like-minded people and future committee roles look great on your CV.

- Budget. You'll want to celebrate the end of your semesters so it's worth having the money to do so. On this note, it's much easier to cook for yourself than buy in food and it's really easy to do (plus very useful for later life).

- Find out where's cheap. You might not have much option if you're on campus but often student unions and shops are dearer than high street alternatives.

- Wrap up ;)

- Enjoy it :)[/quote']

Thanks again Stuart! That was a great post on Uni life and I'm definitely going to take it with me :)!

The only thing I can't do for my Uni is propping the door open cause in the past someone did the same thing but let a fire spread throughout the whole residence building as a result :o.

How often did you spend in the library btw if I may ask?

Thanks again Stuart! That was a great post on Uni life and I'm definitely going to take it with me :)!

The only thing I can't do for my Uni is propping the door open cause in the past someone did the same thing but let a fire spread throughout the whole residence building as a result :o.

Ah yes, fire's aren't great - you'll probably learn that too at one point or another :P

Haha... well... Personally barely any as I didn't need the resources in there for my course (maths) and I didn't like working in there (I people watch). Used it a bit more in my 4th year but went to the old school library in Sheffield rather than the new-fangled sterile thing. On the other hand, my best mate was studying English Lit. and he regularly had 20+ books out and worked there a couple days a week. Depends what you need and how you like to work. I wouldn't worry if others are in there much more than you if you're doing the work elsewhere.

Depends what course you do. With my course (Quantity Surveying) I had to go to the library a lot as most of the information was in books and couldn't be found on the internet unless you paid quite a lot of money for it so I just went the Library so I didn't have to pay.

I didn't like working in there (I people watch).

I know what that really means :P (its worse in the summer and everyone wants to show a bit of skin :D). I'm the same though, every time I was in the library and someone walked past I'd just look up and distract myself, although it was much better than me being at home and having so much more to distract myself with.

I really knuckled down in my final year, and managed to get the grade I wanted by forcing myself to do the work. Really helped me to have a revision buddy too. He was a real hard worker, and although I didn't quite replicate his hard work, he upped my productivity. Also helps that you can take breaks together to stop yourself from getting completely bored. Everyone's different though, and you might prefer to work alone.

I agree about the societies too, wish I had that kind of experience now I'm applying for jobs and they want to know what you did during Uni.

Thanks again to all of you :)! Can't wait to start a new chapter in my life!

Really the answer is what you want from college. Everyone has priorities and I've seen people have them differ vastly.

Generally it boils down to -- do you prioritize grades and career; or having fun, relaxing, and making friends. You can do both but every person I know prioritizes one of those two more than the other and it's better you make this choice rather than be drawn into it by what friends are doing (most people) :)

Looking to apply to do History at University, got a couple of questions though.

Would I be wasting my time applying for universities with entry requirements any higher than my predicted grades? (Yet to have my predicted grades)

Then there's the personal statement. How do I go about doing this? I'm not sure how to start/structure it and I've looked at a few things on goggle, and a lot of them have said to state what is different about me from a standard candidate, but I'm not particularly sure of examples of relevant things that do.

Looking to apply to do History at University' date=' got a couple of questions though.

[b']Would I be wasting my time applying for universities with entry requirements any higher than my predicted grades? (Yet to have my predicted grades)[/b]

Then there's the personal statement. How do I go about doing this? I'm not sure how to start/structure it and I've looked at a few things on goggle, and a lot of them have said to state what is different about me from a standard candidate, but I'm not particularly sure of examples of relevant things that do.

Not really I didn't achieve my predicted grades (I was lazy) but I know a lot of people who got higher than their predicted grades so if you put the work in you will get the grades needed.

I just wrote about how I was suited to my course and linked my interests and what subjects what I did at sixth form to my course. I don't think it is as important as people make out as my statement was aimed at the one course (Quantity Surveying) I wanted to do and I got offers off courses (IT) that I applied for just to make up my 5 choices.

Not really I didn't achieve my predicted grades (I was lazy) but I know a lot of people who got higher than their predicted grades so if you put the work in you will get the grades needed.

I just wrote about how I was suited to my course and linked my interests and what subjects what I did at sixth form to my course. I don't think it is as important as people make out as my statement was aimed at the one course (Quantity Surveying) I wanted to do and I got offers off courses (IT) that I applied for just to make up my 5 choices.

So I'm not just going to get rejected straight away based on my predicted grades if they're there and there abouts?

Is there any point of me giving extra-curricular activities that aren't linked to history' date=' for example I'm a qualified referee so is there any point in me including that at all?

What are the "predicted grades"?

I haven't got my predicted grades yet, but they're likely to be ABB.

I'm planning on applying for Bristol (AAA), Birmingham (AAB), Manchester (AAB), Leicester (ABB) and Hull (BBB).