Revision for Exams

Elton

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re: Revision for Exams

GCSE's in less than a month' date=' should I be worried?

I need 4 A's to stay at my current school.[/quote']

Worry can be a good sign that you want to do well but as long as you revise you will be fine

Don't get to worried as that can have a negative effect so try and stay positive

Also if you do manage to fail, I'm pretty sure there is some place that will take you on like colleges.

Good luck :)

Worry can be a good sign that you want to do well but as long as you revise you will be fine

Don't get to worried as that can have a negative effect so try and stay positive

Also if you do manage to fail' date=' I'm pretty sure there is some place that will take you on like colleges.

Good luck :)[/quote']

Some of my mates want something like 8 A*'s which I find quite ridiculous to be honest, and I'd take 5/6 A's. Finding it very hard to revise at the moment and I go back to school tomorrow so a bit worried I'll be behind.

A college is an option, but really I think it'd be a disaster if I had to leave this school as it's the 5th in the country. :o

Some of my mates want something like 8 A*'s which I find quite ridiculous to be honest' date=' and I'd take 5/6 A's. Finding it very hard to revise at the moment and I go back to school tomorrow so a bit worried I'll be behind.

A college is an option, but really I think it'd be a disaster if I had to leave this school as it's the 5th in the country. :o[/quote']

Depends what you want to be in the future. But just remember you will have something to fall back on so nothing to worry about :)

just read a bit of this thread and tbh alot of you seem to get hung up about getting into this school college uni etc, I work for a Major (world wide) Oil company, Im a mechanical engineer, I left school at 16 got bored easy!, but left with good grades, I was lucky enough to get an apprenticeship with an engineering company in Aberdeen, did my 4 years apprenticeship and got an HND in Mech Engineering at end of it, I've had 3 jobs since I left school, now at 31 i work on an North Sea oil Platform work 146 days a year and make good money Im not going to disclose that.

Other example, my mate stayed at at school went to uni did a Mech engineer course got his degree now manager at Tesco:p but he is good at using excel:rolleyes:

So im not against people doing degrees etc but you cant beat hands on experience in the engineering side

But good luck to all of you!!! :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

just read a bit of this thread and tbh alot of you seem to get hung up about getting into this school college uni etc' date=' I work for a Major (world wide) Oil company, Im a mechanical engineer, I left school at 16 got bored easy!, but left with good grades, I was lucky enough to get an apprenticeship with an engineering company in Aberdeen, did my 4 years apprenticeship and got an HND in Mech Engineering at end of it, I've had 3 jobs since I left school, now at 31 i work on an North Sea oil Platform work 146 days a year and make good money Im not going to disclose that.

Other example, my mate stayed at at school went to uni did a Mech engineer course got his degree now manager at Tesco:p but he is good at using excel:rolleyes:

So im not against people doing degrees etc but you cant beat hands on experience in the engineering side

But good luck to all of you!!! :)[/quote']

Bit late, but this is so true. I'm in college and may go uni but i know that in the working world you don't need a degree to do well. But the people who push themselves for A's and cry or get upset at a B- it means nothing. Experience beats degree by a long shot i believe.

In what way?

Theoretical mathematicians don't like things that their theories can't explain. Their theories usually don't explain much. They thus adopt a militant pride in being anti-practical and distanced from the real life, which they sugarcoat with all kinds of excuses that they claim as truths.

PS. I'm a math minor.

Theoretical mathematicians don't like things that their theories can't explain. Their theories usually don't explain much. They thus adopt a militant pride in being anti-practical and distanced from the real life' date=' which they sugarcoat with all kinds of excuses that they claim as truths.

PS. I'm a math minor.[/quote']

Many people can come up with theories, heck I can but it'd be pretty shoddy. But, many theoretical mathemeticians do high level mathematics based on the love they have for math already. Although maybe their theories don't explain much for a duration, they try to perfect their craft or apply more and more empahasis on theories. I assume many want to become ground breaking like Euclid, Lebniz, Nash, Euler, etc.

If they aren't prideful or hence a bit stubborn with what they research, they can never truly be able to expand on their theories. I wouldn't say it's sugar coating but they need to be very passionate and always trying to expand the theories in which they research.

Theoretical mathematics is essential for life whether we admit it or not. The most sucessful theories can be transformed into applied mathematics.

Honestly, some of the theoretical mathemeticians in the world are ridiculously smart. Anyone who has a PHD in Mathematics has my undying respect. I would never be able to dwell into the most complex mathematics. Likewise anyone who has a PHD in any field. That is alot of years in School, something I realized I will probably never go to. At most, I'm considering a Masters in Engineering or Business.

To elaborate though' date=' people in stats (or other evidence-based/applied maths) on the other hand are very practical, maybe even too much to the point of sacrificing some their creativity and happiness.[/quote']

Well if they chose a career in Mathematics, I think they are happy enough to be a statistician as they chose it. Creativity is hard, not everyone has it whether we admit or not.

Only problem I can see is that some Actuaries could feel very guilty with the work they do.

Many people can come up with theories' date=' heck I can but it'd be pretty shoddy. But, many theoretical mathemeticians do high level mathematics based on the love they have for math already. Although maybe their theories don't explain much for a duration, they try to perfect their craft or apply more and more empahasis on theories. I assume many want to become ground breaking like Euclid, Lebniz, Nash, Euler, etc.

If they aren't prideful or hence a bit stubborn with what they research, they can never truly be able to expand on their theories. I wouldn't say it's sugar coating but they need to be very passionate and always trying to expand the theories in which they research.

Theoretical mathematics is essential for life whether we admit it or not. The most sucessful theories can be transformed into applied mathematics.

Honestly, some of the theoretical mathemeticians in the world are ridiculously smart. Anyone who has a PHD in Mathematics has my undying respect. I would never be able to dwell into the most complex mathematics. Likewise anyone who has a PHD in any field. That is alot of years in School, something I realized I will probably never go to. At most, I'm considering a Masters in Engineering or Business.[/quote']

Fair enough. That's a balanced view of the subject I'd mostly agree with.

Now, most math majors will never be anywhere near being able to interpret these theories as they were intended, never mind expand on them. Thus, unfortunately, a culture around the field has developed (mostly of incompetent people who buy into the worst biases of their culture without having the abilities) which probably creates more harm than good.

Well if they chose a career in Mathematics' date=' I think they are happy enough to be a statistician as they chose it. Creativity is hard, not everyone has it whether we admit or not.

Only problem I can see is that some Actuaries could feel very guilty with the work they do.[/quote']

Not just creativity, but there's also the problem of not being exposed to enough life to understand when they, and their theories, are simply nonsense. Narrow experiences lead to considerable biases in interpreting the world, to the point where their theories are particularly worthless and probably quite harmful.

Fair enough. That's a balanced view of the subject I'd mostly agree with.

Now' date=' most math majors will never be anywhere near being able to interpret these theories as they were intended, never mind expand on them. Thus, unfortunately, a culture around the field has developed (mostly of incompetent people who buy into the worst biases of their culture without having the abilities) which probably creates more harm than good.[/quote']

Passion in my opinion overrides natural ability. If you have the passion as some people who might not have the abilities but you still pursue higher education and learning because you have the passion,then you are already going to get there. Without passion, whatever you do is not to the best of your ability. They can always work on their abilities to do mathematics although natural ability is very important, but ultimately passion and love for what they do is what can make a person successful.

Thank God, I'm not in Mathematics. I already have enough in Engineering, I don't think I could ever go through with a Math degree. Too complicated and not appealing to someone like me, but I cant definitely see why some people would love it.

Passion in my opinion overrides natural ability. If you have the passion as some people who might not have the abilities but you still pursue higher education and learning because you have the passion' date='then you are already going to get there. Without passion, whatever you do is not to the best of your ability. They can always work on their abilities to do mathematics although natural ability is very important, but ultimately passion and love for what they do is what can make a person successful.

Yup, I agree.

I've come to see the feeling of passion more as a form of love, not as something innate or born-with, but rather something that's been cultivated over a long period of time.

Now, I agree that doing something we don't love is painful and seldom leads to great results. The challenge of expanding into unknown territory is hard enough as it is, and doesn't need to be made more difficult by doing something we don't see the reason of doing. But this is also a privilege of those in our generation who were brought up in comfortable and safe homes...

Thank God, I'm not in Mathematics. I already have enough in Engineering, I don't think I could ever go through with a Math degree. Too complicated and not appealing to someone like me, but I cant definitely see why some people would love it.

Those who really love math I have no beef with. It's the ones who bandwagon with math and science without having the love for it who really create more harm than good, by espousing a culture that promotes a narrow methodological rigidity ("there's one right way even if it doesn't work") even in the face of damning evidence.

It's the real-life equivalent of continuing to fly airplanes that are known to crash every flight, simply because they believe their airplane is the best.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived