• Bizzarre
    • Chamillionaire
    • Young Buck
    • Tony Yayo
    • Chris Brown
    • Lupe Fiasco
    • Timbeland

Re: Who is the best rapper?

Dre is good but he's got nothing on Eminem or Tupac' date='thats what i think anyway. what is your favourite rap song?

open 2 public :D[/quote']

how can you say that! Dre is one of the founding farthers so to speak. he brought Em into the game for god sake as for tupac he'll always be great id say in the same bracket as dre

how can you say that! Dre is one of the founding farthers so to speak. he brought Em into the game for god sake as for tupac he'll always be great id say in the same bracket as dre

just bcoz he bought Eminem un dosnt mean he is amazing. i didnt say he wasnt good, i think he is good, but not good as Em or Tupac

• 1 year later...

In terms of MCs and talent:

1. Rakim

2. Nas

3. Tupac

4. Q-Tip

5. Talib Kweli

6. Ice Cube

7. Slick Rick

8. Chuck D

9. Posdnous

10. Mos Def

This is just my personal opinion of them as MCs, not their overall output. I'm astounded no-one (that I saw, I only skimmed through quickly) even mentioned Rakim :eek: Obviously there are alot missing from my list I'd like to have included; Big Daddy Kane, Biggie, a couple of guys from Wu-Tang Clan and many more.

On the other hand, you get people like Dre who are terrible rappers but produce absolutely amazing music.

I think I can speak for Dai as well when I say that Tupac is the greatest rapper to ever live. And why is he so good? Because he doesn't talk about how "Dangerous" or how he is a "Gangster", he talks about his own experiences when growing up and the difficulties he had to face. He talks about crooked cops, being a drug dealer from a young age, about the government etc and that's what really touched people. He used to touches everyone who listens to him. The best by far, and this is proven by selling over 5,000,000 records in such a short time of his career.

Other people who I really like are Ice Cube, Eminem and the Game...They are too lyrically very good.

lol Eminem:eek: Snoop dogg :eek: 50 pence sorry cent :eek:.

They trash and so for a lot more on the list.

Eminem: Wouldnt be where he is if he was black.Plus it aint rap its some1 acting a t**t. But you all run to the shops and buy his album, you dont know what you've been missing out on.

Snoop Dogg: For snizzle on my nizzle didnt realise these were words, could some1 please tell me what it means.

50 Cent:LOL this guy is great, is it me or does candy shop sound like magic stick? They all the same kind of tracks, once you'v heard 1 you heard them all.

Now i'l give you guys some rappers that actually rap.

Fabolous

Fat joe (Does a great track about 50cent and what he says is true)

Wu-tang

Method man (This guy is a legend)

Ludacris (deserves a mention)

You guys should check them out.

And to the post above about tupac you got a point.

lol Eminem:eek: Snoop dogg :eek: 50 pence sorry cent :eek:.

They trash and so for a lot more on the list.

To be fair there is some stinkers on that list but you've got to say Chris Brown is one hell of a rapper :rolleyes:

I'm sorry to be so sarcastic but I haven't gotten over Rakim's snub yet :P

Hopefully Eminem & Dr. Dre's new album this year will put the rap game back how it was in the 90's to early 2000's period.

Either that or it'll be a huge disappointment (I'm expecting the latter)

Hip-Hop has been corrupted now. Sales are at an all-time low and when was the last time you heard a GREAT album? Maybe I've got too high standards but the only one I really loved last year was Q-Tip's first album in about a decade 'Renassaince'.

No one is clever in their rapping anymore and sampling is no were near as eclectic or frequent :(

Rakim is supposed to be bringing out an album (the guy who basically pioneered MCing as we know it today) and that could be great because he's got years of material backed up. He's mythical now, he's like the Sly Stone of Hip-Hop.

Guest .кєσgн

Where's Eazy-E' date=' Ice Cube, B.I.G, Cypress Hill, The D.O.C. etc?[/quote']

Ice Cube was a fake, he talked normal and sped it up....

None of those are the best rapper, most of the underground rappers are like D-Styla.

Best Unique rap sound was Go To Sleep by Eminem, Quality lyrics.

Pac is undoubtably the best rapper ever and to have chris brown on the poll is a disgrace he clearly isnt a rapper and also u cant have a best rapper poll will people like cashis who have done nothing and not have grandmaster flash rakim krs-one nas big l people who have actually contributed to the rap game.

Beyond the likes of Illmatic or 2001' date=' I'm pretty naive when it comes to rap. Anyone recommend any albums that are essential?[/quote']

stillmatic IMO as good as illmatic also the chronic, doggystyle, straight outta compton, all eyez on me, marshall mathers lp, born again, doccumentry, hunger for more are some of my favs

sorry but iam actually outraged at this poll tbh its a bit of a joke going to make a new poll i think with real rappers timbaland cumon he cant even rap he is a producer that decided to make a album and bizarre and proof what did they ever do? proof had talent and could have made somethin decent if he had the chance but bizarre :eek:

Beyond the likes of Illmatic or 2001' date=' I'm pretty naive when it comes to rap. Anyone recommend any albums that are essential?[/quote']

It's a shame you've already listened to Illmatic because after that, everything is more or less downhill :o

Depends on what you like to be honest, mate. Do you like Gangsta or do the lyrics alienate you?

Do you like Alternative Hip-Hop? The lyrics and MCs tend to be better but the tracks tend to be less frenetic and instantly rewarding as more mainstream rap.

Personally, hip-hop albums everyone has to listen to, in my opinion are: (in no particular order)

1. Paul's Boutique - Beastie Boys

Set the bar for sampling, yet to be matched and probably never will be. In case you don't know, sampling is the practice of taking samples of other songs (the drums, a riff, anything really) and mashing them together to make a whole. The Beastie Boys worked with the famous Dust Brothers (if you like the Chemical Brothers, these guys are the Chemical Brothers' heroes) and they used sampling on an unprecedented level, basically making each track from scratch from parts of other tracks. This Frankenstein monster of an album will likely never be emulated as the Beastie Boys were sued to kingdom come by the people who owned the music (particularly due to the track 'The Sounds of Science' and law changed. The closest to a repeat was Beck's 'Odelay' which was also a Dust Brothers production. The boys three pronged attack with Adrock and Mike D's whiny New York Jewish accents countered by MCA's stern, gruff voice is a heady mixture and lyrically these guys are storytellers par excellence.

or

Perhaps 'License to Ill' would be better for a first time listener if you find this one a bit annoying.

2. The Low End Theory - A Tribe Called Quest

Really these first two albums are connoisseur albums so, not great for a beginner :o but I'm pretty sure you're a guy of very good intelligence and perserverence (just from discussions we've had in the past and that) can handle these. They take a few listens so maybe it is better to start elsewhere but once you get into these, the rewards are astounding. Q-Tip is more laconic than Snoop and about 5 times as talented an MC (and I like Snoop!) and Phife Dawg is the perfect foil to Q-Tip as a more traditional and dynamic man on the mic. The most famous song is 'Scenario' which is considered the best posse cut (song with loads of MCs on it) in the history of the genre. It's Jazz-Rap and is so different to everything else and magnificent as a result.

or

Maybe if you want to hear some Quest you should hear 'Midnight Marauders' first as it is more accessible but this album is essential in every sense of the word.

They're just two that don't get enough mainstream coverage but some other essentials:

Eric B & Rakim - Follow the Leader

He is the greatest MC of all-time. Most real MCs say so but due to his infrequent solo output, the credit he is receiving is eroding :(

De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising

So good it even won NME album of the year in '89 and they always look down on Hip-Hop. Positive rhymes as they talk about the 'D.A.I.S.Y Age' but couple it with social conciousness like 'Ghetto Thang'.

N.W.A - Straight Outta Compton

Dre, Eazy E and Ice Cube on one album!? Basically Ice Cube runs the show on the album which someone once aptly called 'the British Invasion (when all the British bands became successful in the US in the '60s) for Black people'. Huge hit even though the songs weren't played on the radio due to being too explicit.

To be honest you can go wrong with anything from the Native Tongues posse in my opinion. They include A Tribe Called Quest, Common, De La Soul, the Jungle Brothers, Leaders of the New School (Busta Rhymes first group), Mos Def, Talib Kweli and Black Star. The best stuff is found in the 'Golden Age' of Hip-Hop from around '85 to '92.

It's a shame you've already listened to Illmatic because after that' date=' everything is more or less downhill :o

Depends on what you like to be honest, mate. Do you like Gangsta or do the lyrics alienate you?[/quote']

Christ Bob! You've gave me plenty to busy meself with. Top marks. To be honest, and this applies to whatever genre I'm listening to, I'm not actually overly conscientious when it comes to lyrics. There's the odd tune, like Dylan's 'With God on our side', that grabs me lyrically but, generally, if the melody and flow is great, I like it. As long as the sentiment isn't too cheap, like Candyshop for example, there's little chance of me turning my nose up.

Christ Bob! You've gave me plenty to busy meself with. Top marks. To be honest' date=' and this applies to whatever genre I'm listening to, I'm not actually overly conscientious when it comes to lyrics. There's the odd tune, like Dylan's 'With God on our side', that grabs me lyrically but, generally, if the melody and flow is great, I like it. As long as the sentiment isn't too cheap, like Candyshop for example, there's little chance of me turning my nose up.[/quote']

In that case, 'The Chronic' by Dr. Dre is amazing sonically and I'd recommend that since you like '2001'. 'Doggstyle' by Snoop Dogg is along the same lines but more of a party album. If it's not lyrics you're into, your probably best avoiding the Native Tongues people to start with (more or less everyone I recommended :P) as one of their main appeals is their quality of lyric/rhyme but if you find yourself liking more Hip-Hop, seek them out :)