Sign in to follow this  
Killaroo

The Official Horse Racing Thread

Re: Horse Racing

Haha I've been to a LOT more jumps meetings (Worcester racecourse being 2 mins away and Cheltenham 30 mins away) but flat racing is growing on me! :P

Can't get into the Flat.

Jumps is so much more exciting, more drama the horses are around longer so you identify with them and form a bond where as most half decent flat horses are off to Stud the moment they win a few races.

Jumps for me is the pinnacle, flat is a very poor second in my book. Dont think any of my favourite horses have ever been flat horses.

Most frustrating was Definetley an all weather horse named half tone in my sixth form days (me and my mates spent a lot of time hiding in Mr Hills or Mr Coral :P) always started off like he had a parachute on his back and would be about 15 lengths down after three furlongs then finish like a train and end 2nd an enormous amount of times, sooo frustrating that horse!!!

I don't think you love flat racing as such......I think it has more to do with having a winner.....;)

It still sucks....

Only flat track I really like is Chester for sme weird and wonderful reason probably something to do with the track which is spectacularly pretty for a small racecourse and the knowledge that horses drawn on the inside have a massive advantage which has proven to be quite profitable on the occasions I have been there.

TBF I do love Chester racecourse so not all flat sucks, just most of it :P

I don't think you love flat racing as such......I think it has more to do with having a winner.....;)

It still sucks....

Only flat track I really like is Chester for sme weird and wonderful reason probably something to do with the track which is spectacularly pretty for a small racecourse and the knowledge that horses drawn on the inside have a massive advantage which has proven to be quite profitable on the occasions I have been there.

TBF I do love Chester racecourse so not all flat sucks' date=' just most of it :P[/quote']

Completely missed this - I would love to go to Chester, its high on my list on my racecourse tick list!

Some good racing today. 1 year since Sir Henry Cecil died and Lady Cecil has 4 good horses running today at Haydock - Richard Hughes on board too so maybe worth a small L15. Then Ryan Moore tonight at Kempton.

Anyone going Royal Ascot this year?

NOPE

Coz flat racing sucks :P

In all seriousness I went once many years ago but it was way to poncy for my liking, the old top hat and tails just ain't me and it was not like a Cheltenham where you can have a good time or some of the other tracks where it is easy to mingle and blend in. To many people way above there station looking down n you because you ain't carrying £2000 in your pocket and the like.

Ascot usually has a great card but just not for me.

Ascot today a few really short price favourites running' date=' Me personally like the look of Sole Power but he is up against a very good horse in Shea Shea.[/quote']

Soooooo many good horses.

Even a couple of 50/1's and an 80/1 that look good!

Easy peasy - killed them all of in a hundred yards or so.

Who was in your treble?

Toronado

Sole Power

Kingman

a nice 20/1 treble up on a free bet lol.

Todays picks for me are mostly E/W shots as there are some good prices about and Paddy are paying out 6 places in the Royal Hunt Cup at 5.

Sky Lantern 11/2 in the 4.25 (If she's anything like last year she will take all the beating)

The Fugue E/W 9/1 in the 3.45 up against Treve.

Short Squeeze E/W 14/1 in the 5.00

Toronado

Sole Power

Kingman

a nice 20/1 treble up on a free bet lol.

Todays picks for me are mostly E/W shots as there are some good prices about and Paddy are paying out 6 places in the Royal Hunt Cup at 5.

Sky Lantern 11/2 in the 4.25 (If she's anything like last year she will take all the beating)

The Fugue E/W 9/1 in the 3.45 up against Treve.

Short Squeeze E/W 14/1 in the 5.00

The Fugue guns down Treve boshhhhhhhhhhhh :D

Had a pretty successful summer but I have to admit I am looking forward to the jumps season beginning again - the amount of non-runners is painful. Plus I'm going to the Gold Cup at Cheltenham in November :D.

Re: The Official Horse Racing Thread

Gutted to hear the news that the great A P McCoy has decided to retire at the end of the season.

In terms of the greatest Sportsman in my time alive I honestly believe that he could be the very best of all time in any sport.

His dedication, will to win, desire and sheer tenacity to keep riding at multiple meetings nearly every day of the year searching for excellence in his field, the constant weight draining, eating next to nothing and his longevity is quite staggering to be fair.

To do what he has done and win the Champion Jockey probably for the twentieth time this season is staggering truely staggering.

The finest jockey I have ever seen and provided many of the greatest moments in jumps history...

Will be missed immensely a word that is used way to freely but not in this case the man is a living Legend.