The Rock and Proper Music Thread

Re: The Rock and Proper Music Thread

Killers' date='Coldplay,Snow Patrol,Nickelback??? Should change this to the "useless music thread"

Do yourselves a favour,go out and buy some Led Zeppelin,David Bowie,Thin Lizzy,Pink Floyd,Neil Young,Rush stuff..[/quote']

I'm surprised at myself at not posting some Thin Lizzy by now, considering they're one of my favourite bands :L

And would you prefer me to make a thread on N-dubz and label that as proper music?

I never really understood how music is regarded as alternative. Those alternative bands are hugely popular and sell millions. They are popular. And they feature in rock music polls, sometimes they rock. Not like some though.

They are popular rock I'd say. Mainstream versus alternative.

I listen to music that isn't well known. All kinds. I find it an alternative to popular music. Mr Scruff anybody. :D

I never really understood how music is regarded as alternative. Those alternative bands are hugely popular and sell millions. They are popular. And they feature in rock music polls' date=' sometimes they rock. Not like some though.

I listen to music that isn't well known. All kinds. I find it an alternative to popular music. [b']Mr Scruff anybody.[/b] :D

Ninja Tuna? ;)

I think Alternative is like rock, but then more modernised and more electric. :)

I never really understood how music is regarded as alternative. Those alternative bands are hugely popular and sell millions. They are popular. And they feature in rock music polls' date=' sometimes they rock. Not like some though.

They are popular rock I'd say.

I listen to music that isn't well known. All kinds. I find it an alternative to popular music. Mr Scruff anybody. :D[/quote']

When I said alternative, I meant alternative rock... :/

Although popular rock works as well! :D

Ninja Tuna? ;)

I think Alternative is like rock' date=' but then more modernised and more electric. :)[/quote']

I pressed edit instead of quote. :D

I think alternative started out as a reaction against the popular rock of that time. But right now it is pretty mainstream and popular in of itself.

Yeah, Ninja Tune is an alternative to rock, rap and all those pretty musicians who fancy themselves as artists. :)

I pressed edit instead of quote. :D

I think alternative started out as a reaction against the popular rock of that time. But right now it is pretty mainstream and popular in of itself.

Yeah' date=' Ninja Tune is an alternative to rock, rap and all those pretty musicians who fancy themselves as artists. :)[/quote']

In my generation anyway, Alternative is more popular than what is now classic rock, I'm a throwback :D

I only recognised it as it's windows default music :o Never really listened to it, it's become a speck in my collection now :)

And for some music, here's a tune! :)

eYIx0sFNDH4

I never really understood how music is regarded as alternative. :D

lAternative Pop/Rock is essentially a catch-all term for post-punk bands from the mid-'80s to the mid-'90s. Though there is a variety of musical styles within Alternative Rock' date=' they are all tied together since they existed outside of the mainstream. In some ways, there are two waves of alternative bands, with Nirvana's success in 1991 acting as a dividing point. In the '80s, most alternative bands were on independent labels; if they were on majors, they didn't receive as much support as most of the label's mainstream acts. During the '80s, alternative included everything from jangle pop, post-hardcore punk, funk metal, punk pop, and experimental rock. After Nirvana's popularity in the '90s, alternative included all of these subgenres, but many of the edges were sanded off because the music was now being marketed as part of the mainstream. Hard rock and punk-derived music were more commercially successful than the left-of-center pop that dominated late-'80s alternative pop/rock, so alternative lost some of its quirkier tendencies in the '90s. Most experimental bands were relegated to indie rock.

[url']http://www.allmusic.com/explore/style/alternative-poprock-d367[/url]

• 1 month later...

Killers' date='Coldplay,Snow Patrol,Nickelback??? Should change this to the "useless music thread"

Do yourselves a favour,go out and buy some Led Zeppelin,David Bowie,Thin Lizzy,Pink Floyd,Neil Young,Rush stuff..[/quote']

ok, just because you dislike bands such as snow patrol, nickleback does not mean other people can't like them. unfortuanatly mate people have different tasts in music.

ist fair enouth you like the likes of led zeppelin, thin lizzie as they are quality bands but in there own way coldplay and snow patrol etc are as big band and just as good.