Minutes Applause/Silence?

Just wondering what people prefer when paying respect to someone or something that has happened, a minute of silence or a minute of applause?

I personally think applause. It makes it more a celebration for all the things someone has done in their life, and we are thanking them for it.

This thread applies to the passing of footballers

Guest MR_ENG_CHAMP_1

Re: Minutes Applause/Silence?

its a bit pointless that all over the country they clapped for alan ball he was a good player but he never played for half the teams

also do you think the kit man for the last 40 years at the club would get a 1 minute clap ...........NO :confused:

ummm... Alan Ball was arguably man of the match in the 1966 cup winning team Ryan... perhaps that was a slight contribution to people's need to give respect to him from all over the country?? His services to football is something most people knew about, not sure the kit man will have had the same level of impact. Bizarre comparison.

i always find silence more powerful, but also riskier as has been mentioned. Applause is always nice, but i suppose it depends on the situation. Should be down to the family IMO.

minutes applause is defintely better for the afore mentioned reasons.

also' date=' it negates the possibility of some mindless morons ruining a minute's silence by whistling, shouting etc..[/quote']

Well your always going to get some thoughtless idiots at any games you go too, there the ones who ruin the game for many people :mad:

its a bit pointless that all over the country they clapped for alan ball he was a good player but he never played for half the teams

Delf, ever wondered it might be because he played for our country, and was our country's best player in our country's finest match?

I doubt you said that when Bestie passed on.