Sam Allardyce Resigns

Re: Sam Allardyce Resigns

Allardyce resigns as Bolton boss

Sam Allardyce has resigned as manager of Bolton with immediate effect.

He has been linked with the manager's role at Manchester City and refused to attend the post-match press conference after Saturday's 2-2 draw with Chelsea.

He said: "This has been one of the hardest decisions I've ever made but it's time for a new exciting era for Bolton under different leadership."

Chairman Phil Gartside added: "I have reluctantly accepted the decision. His reasons are private, we respect that."

More to follow.

FROM THE BBC

CONTINUED

Allardyce has spent over 18 years at the club, as both player and manager, but steps down with two matches of the current campaign still to play.

The Trotters are currently in fifth spot and chasing qualification for a Uefa Cup place.

But in a statement on the club website, he said: "It was mutually decided that I step down now rather than at the end of the season.

"That will give my successor the ideal opportunity to experience the preparation and build up of matchday in readiness of next season.

"After guiding the team into a position where the club is on the verge of qualifying for European football for the second time in three years, I feel it is the right moment to step down.

"I feel the club is in a great position to continue its upward trajectory with a talented, internationally-recognised squad supported by an excellent Academy programme under the guidance of a highly-skilled football management team.

He has helped design and build an infrastructure that will enable the club to continue the progress we have undoubtedly made during his period of office

Bolton chairman Phil Gartside

"The foundations for the next phase is well and truly in place. It is with this knowledge that I feel confident that I am moving on with my life content with a legacy that I have tried to create for this special club.

"I wish the owner, chairman, staff, players and all the fans every success in the future."

Meanwhile, Gartside paid his own tribute to Allardyce, saying: "Since joining the club as manager in 1999, he has helped lead a fantastic transformation of this famous Lancashire club.

"He has helped design and build an infrastructure that will enable the club to continue the progress we have undoubtedly made during his period of office."

He has been linked with Man City, the guy who wants to takeover City (can't remember his name) has said that if he takes over City he will make big Sam the manager. Bolton are supposed to be really angry about this (I think they think this is why he quit) but if you think about it all the Spanish clubs do this when they have a presidential election, they say who they want to sign and who they want as manager.

I am confused as to why Big Sam would want to swap Bolton' date=' on the brink of European football, for Man City - on the brink of relegation.[/quote']

More money ! thats the only reason i can think. Maybe he thinks with money ( something he NEVER had at bolton ) he can turn Manchester City into a European challenging team

I can tell you now that it's probably Man City...it would fit his profile, Bolton are a good club but Man City are much bigger and big sam has ambition! I bet he was very upset when he didn't get the England job but then what has he done to deserve it (what has McClown done for that matter) He IS a good manager and with money behind him who knows, he did a good job when he was with Notts and I for one was sad to see him go and wish him all the luck wherever he ends up (but it will be Man City) Although Stuart Pearce should stay in the premiership just for the comedy value in his interviews :D

? i thought he was retiring at first then i knew he was resigning. Im like wht the. And then im like is he scared that SAF is actually gonna kiss him lol :D . Then it said he would go to Man City. Had same reaction as u guys. Ur gonna get to UEFA cup so why swap? Well maybe its the money but... Just like fulham why'd they sack Coleman there doin worse with Sanchez now anyway.

I really hope he gets the england managers job as he is a cracking manager and could cope with the pressure unlike mclaren has.He will drop the big players if he thinks it is right to which could make england better.

The young players will play to be the best but the players in england squad already think they are the best and think they will beat any team heavily.But this hasnt happened and with young players in the squad they will only get better.

Big sam has done a amazing job at bolton he has kept them in the top 10 in prem with virtually no money to spend that is a good achivement.You give mourinho the bolton job and then youll see how good he his as a manager.Sam has proved he can do it with no money would mourinho or wenger well never know!!!!

I was absolutely gobsmacked when I heard big Sam was resigning.

His reason was supposedly because he isn't given any money to compete with

the top 4, and I totally agree with him. But he has done so much and achieved

so much with the club.. but I also agree, WHY would you leave Bolton for

a side struggling at the foot of the table (man city)? I hope Big Sam gets back

into management soon, and I hope its in the premier league.