Rating Analysis of the Big Leagues

timesle

Re: Rating Analysis of the Big Leagues - May 2011

Great thread! I have to agree with what has been said before about Serie A having more 90's in their league than La Liga. After all, the disparity in the latter league is considerable and increases each and every year thanks to the distribution of television rights.

Re: Rating Analysis of the Big Leagues - May 2011

I've updated the thread and added the PL post-analysis and the Bundesliga pre-analysis.

And I'd like to show you another graph I've made

players_rated_x2ids.jpg

Here you can see the players rated 95+, 93+, 90+ and 88+ of all leagues that have been reviewed so far. It even makes sense to exclude Germany here as the German league has only 18 teams in it.

We see, that the Spanish La Liga is leading in terms of having high rated players. Of course due to Barcelona and Real. But if we then take a look at the players rated 90+ and 88+, the Premier League is leading which makes sense as it is seen as the best league in the world.

• 6 months later...

Re: Rating Analysis of the Big Leagues

"Hohoho! Merry X-Mas!"

weihnachtsmann_schlitten_rentiere1.gif

Actually I had not the intention to make another Rating Analysis this time. Was it the festive atmosphere or too much glogg, I don't know, but I nevertheless decided to make one. Of course not as detailed as last time but still nice to read, I hope.

The first figures show the maximum rated player (blue bar) of each team of the 6 top leagues (England, Spain, Germany, Italy, France & Portugal) and the average rating of the 11 best players (red bar) of each team.

Premier League

preleaoikqv.jpg

La Liga

laliga36kg0.jpg

Bundesliga

buliqzj9l.jpg

Serie A

serieakbjce.jpg

Ligue 1

ligue11vjti.jpg

SuperLiga

superligatyk5g.jpg

The last figure shows how many players rated between x and y play in the individual league.

playersratedx58jgi.jpg

I will leave the interpretation of this figures to you.

Just one thing. I still think that the Serie A is quite overrated. Just view the last figure. Whilst you can see that in better leagues normally play (deserved) more higher rated players, the Serie A has much high rated players than the Bundesliga. Of course I understand that it's difficult for SM to drop high rated players of Juventus or Milan, as they are doing quite good in league. So the consequence of this only can be that SM will continue to be more harsh regarding the Serie A in future and SM will continue to be more generous concerning the Bundesliga - all the more it's not understandable that SM leave Gomez on 93. But that's a different story.

Great, I like this kind of stuff, with all these nice coloured bars and not too much text ;)

Taking a look at the average rating of the starting 11 I have to say: Despite of all this whining I would say that SM is pretty much spot on. With a few more or less debatable exceptions there is hardly any team which is completely over- or underrated. Teams having a great form trhoughout the past year will slowly improve their ratings while others will slowly decline (with the exception of Chelsea - but I think their sudden downfall ratingwise is well deserved).

I am pretty sure that even players like Soldado, Huntelaar and Gomez will make their way - as long as they keep performing. So it is not a matter of injustice, just a matter of time. Good (and bad) things come to those who wait ;)

Btw: Merry Christmas!

How manchester united arent the best rated team in england i do not know. They consistently perform and stay at the top of the league amd chelsea are rated higher?!

(great piece of work by the way)

Its not like chelsea ran them close last year, they won the league with a 9 point gap, and now chelsea are languishing 11 points behind. The last time chelsea won the league its was norrowly by 1 point.

It does make you wander how sm do the ratings. It would really be interesting to know how much they take into account the bigger picture, i.e. these stats. Or weather they are completely blind to them and just look at individuals. Im sure thats not the case though.

As a norwich city fan theirs no bias but i do think manchester united are very harshly rated. fletcher dropping and park still rated only 91 astound me when you think of how key they have been in united recent titles and champions league runs. And thats not even mentioning de geas lack of a point, despite him being one of the best keepers in the league since his nervy start. Reflected in the fact united have conceded least goals.

Anyway essay rant over. Great work though.

First of all thanks for all the positive feedback @ all.

I also do think that those figures are kind of interesting - that's the main point why I make and share them. The main work by the way is just the copying of the team ratings. However soccerwiki.org made this easier. ;)

How manchester united arent the best rated team in england i do not know. They consistently perform and stay at the top of the league amd chelsea are rated higher?!

I agree with you in terms of ManUtd having performed better over the past few years than Chelsea did. However the problem in comparing average ratings of the teams and their performance is' date=' that the teams do transfers and that some players retire.

At Chelsea for example Torres can be token. They signed him when he was 95 if I remember correctly. This was most probably above the average rating of Chelsea at that time and so Torres' move gave the average rating a boost though Chelsea haven't performed 'better'.

Or take most of the Manchester City players. Aguere (94), Dzeko (92) or even Tevez (94) have been signed with a high rating. These buys distort the average rating gained on performance.

However these stats aren't totally useless at all. They are good indicators.

Take Inter Milan for example. They have the highest average rating of all Serie A teams though currently not performing that good. If this won't change you therefore can expect more drops in future. (There might exist less obvious examples - I just choose an easy one.)

Furthermore it can be said that even in future the German league will probably be rated more generous than the Serie A in order to adjust the rating gap.

Man City is now the best team

I hope this thread won't turn in a City - United debate. ;)

The big difference between real life performance and SM ratings is the manager. Fergie knows how to get the best out of players that would look ordinary at other clubs - players such as Fletcher. I think it's entirely fair to say that Utd don't have the best squad in the Premier League but they are battling for the title because SAF is in charge.