My PC is broken :( PLEASE HELP!

Arfon

Ok my time on SM is going to be very limited, but thank goodness ive got an iPhone...

Anyway, yesterday morning my 2 year old son switched my PC on, dont know what he done after that but normally he just switches my hardrive on, this wasn't noticed until around 5pm and my PC was in sleep mode...

From there I done my regular thing of logging on to SM, around 8pm I looked for an update for my phone on iTunes, it said I needed to update iTunes, so it took me to the apple website and I downloaded the newer iTunes, after this downloaded it said I need to restart my PC, so I did....

This is where the problem begins....

Upon my PC restarting it started up as normal, but when it got to my windows xp loading screen the loading bar stopped and my screen turned blue :( and the fan in my hardrive stopped and no noise came from it at all..

I havent really got a clue when it comes to stuff like this so im rather stuck, one thing is I can get into safe mode, but I dont know what that means.

Hoping someone on here knows, help massively appreciated.

Cheers Rhys

Re: My PC is broken :( PLEASE HELP!

Mate,I'll tell you this that I have no idea of what has gone wrong with your PC,but I'll give you this advice that some people will most definitely post ludicrous idea's of dismantling your PC or applying soap or things like that.Please don't listen to such idea's as I lost my PS2 while trying to dismantle it and my friend lost his iPhone.

You may also lose your warranty so your best option is getting i checked/fixed by a professional technician/engineer.

Mate' date='I'll tell you this that I have no idea of what has gone wrong with your PC,but I'll give you this advice that some people will most definitely post ludicrous idea's of dismantling your PC or applying soap or things like that.Please don't listen to such idea's as I lost my PS2 while trying to dismantle it and my friend lost his iPhone.

You may also lose your warranty so your best option is getting i checked/fixed by a professional technician/engineer.[/quote']

Ok cheers mate.

I was mainly looking for someone who knows what there talking about to simply say, you only need a new windows or something like that, this way I can do it.

But I know it'll end up going to an expert.

if you can get into safemode-try restoring the system to an earlier time (checkpoint).

to get into safe mode: tap f8 on while the system reboots

then Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

If it boots normally and works fine-it was most likely a software prob..if not hardware.

and try that, you can record the number on the blue screen since it is an error code and search for it.

Rhys is will be a problem with your drivers mate. You need to try restarting again and hopefully you will get in long enough to download a program called bluescreenview. Do this and then restart in safe mode again, run the program and it will tell you what drivers are causing the blue screen. If you google what it says that will generally give an explanation although finding one in plain english is tough sometimes.

How old is your PC and is it still under warranty?

The overwhelming likelihood is that you have overheated the system so may need some new parts or a replacement fan.

if you can get into safemode-try restoring the system to an earlier time (checkpoint).

to get into safe mode: tap f8 on while the system reboots

then Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

If it boots normally and works fine-it was most likely a software prob..if not hardware.

and try that' date=' you can record the number on the blue screen since it is an error code and search for it.[/quote']

Not really got a clue mate, so could you explain it better for me :o sorry.

Rhys is will be a problem with your drivers mate. You need to try restarting again and hopefully you will get in long enough to download a program called bluescreenview. Do this and then restart in safe mode again' date=' run the program and it will tell you what drivers are causing the blue screen. If you google what it says that will generally give an explanation although finding one in plain english is tough sometimes.

How old is your PC and is it still under warranty?

The overwhelming likelihood is that you have overheated the system so may need some new parts or a replacement fan.[/quote']

Only way I can get in is via safe mode mate, tried the normal way loads of times and it freezes on my windows xp loading page.

Had the PC almost 5 years, not sure if it is but I very much doubt its still under warranty.

restart system

keep tapping f8 key (that will get you into the boot menu)

in the boot menu use the up,down direction buttons to get to last good configuration.

then hit enter, the system will start.

If you do get the blue screen again-write down the error code you may have seen on the screen.

restart system

keep tapping f8 key (that will get you into the boot menu)

in the boot menu use the up' date='down direction buttons to get to last good configuration.

then hit enter, the system will start.

If you do get the blue screen again-write down the error code you may have seen on the screen.[/quote']

Got the manual mate and ive loaded 'last known good configuration' and it worked, not sure what to do from here mind :o

Wasent the itunes update I done was it? Uninstall it?

Got the manual mate and ive loaded 'last known good configuration' and it worked' date=' not sure what to do from here mind :o

Wasent the itunes update I done was it? Uninstall it?[/quote']

Should be fine to keep iTunes. Download Bluescreenview though and find out what the issue was.

I figure I need to do a 'system restore' to an earlier date correct?

Looked to do that but it wont let me select anything other than 18:30 today' date=' which maybe a problem.[/quote']

Try system restore,That helped me many times,before few days,I couldnt do anything,I was playing Assassins creed,and my computer suddenly freezed,and I couldnt do anything,and after that I went to safe mode,and did system restore,and it worked,try it. :)

Should be fine to keep iTunes. Download Bluescreenview though and find out what the issue was.
I figure I need to do a 'system restore' to an earlier date correct?

Looked to do that but it wont let me select anything other than 18:30 today' date=' which maybe a problem.[/quote']

Agree with Bunder-btw is the fan coming on?

If it works fine-don't worry about the restore-if you cant restore to an earlier time. A good site to visit to do a complete free diagnostic check is pcpitstop.com whenever you have the time.

Agree with Bunder-btw is the fan coming on?

If it works fine-don't worry about the restore-if you cant restore to an earlier time. A good site to visit to do a complete free diagnostic check is pcpitstop.com whenever you have the time.

I restarted my PC without doing anything (system restore) and it started up fine :confused: this mean its ok now? Im baffled.

I'll do the diagnostic check now and bluescreen.

I restarted my PC without doing anything (system restore) and it started up fine :confused: this mean its ok now? Im baffled.

I'll do the diagnostic check now and bluescreen.

Yeah should be-the last good configuration would have caused it to use the settings that worked last time. So should be fine.

Hope the fans working..or the system will shut down if it overheats.

Yeah should be-the last good configuration would have caused it to use the settings that worked last time. So should be fine.

Hope the fans working..or the system will shut down if it overheats.

Yeah fan seems to be fine.

As for the bluescreenview, not got a clue what to do with it, exracted files etc..

Yeah fan seems to be fine.

As for the bluescreenview' date=' not got a clue what to do with it, exracted files etc..[/quote']

when you run it-if you don't get anything in the window-means the files been cleared. No worries..

Just run your other pc tools and stuff you should be fine.

Oh dont forget pcpitstop .com you will need to register but its free-and it gives your current status and upgrades you may think about.

Oh dear...

Turned my pc off, then turned it back on and my loading screen froze :(

So started again but went through 'last known good configuartion' and it froze on the loading page :mad::(

Giving up for now as the football is on very soon.

But does anyone know what went wrong?

I'd suggest this...

You may want to actually move the computer to a more open space, it. Ould be overheating.

My old computer overheated before, I just made sure I opened the cupboards door whenever I used it.

Or, if it is in an open space, i would unscrew the side of the main box, then check the fan for any debry (biscuits, sweets, maybe your kid put something there?) and clean it out if necessary.

System restore is also good option, I restored to a few months before that same computer decided to die, and then it worked, just make sure you restore to a date weeks before you noticed any problems, just to be safe :)

Hope that helped:)

as already mentioned i think it will be one of your drivers which would have broke due to over heating, i have no clue how to fix the driver but to prevent it happening again make sure the pc has lost of space and nothing is on top of it like paper or work folders etc. if it is still getting hot unscrew on of the sides and leave it loosely there.

this happened to me around january/december luckily my cousin is a computer engineer so he fixed the driver

just install Windows 7 and u wont have any problems with comp,if u dont have original version just install program called Genuine remover,cause stupid notifications that u dont have original version,believe me all yours Pc ,driver etc problems will be solved,finally windows without bugs errors etc

sucks man :/, can you boot into safe mode ?, (tap f8 on start up to prompt the option ?)

if you can check out device manager (http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windowsxp/ht/accessdmcmuxp.htm) and have a look to see if theres any "!" or "?" in yellow triangles, if there is, right click and uninstall driver, you can open the options up more by click the little "+" symbols.

If you cant get into safe mode, or boot from last known working config or whatever its called then your gunna need a restore disc for simplicity, find that, throw it in and it should at some point boot from the CD drive, it should prompt some options, one of them being a repair or restore of Windows (http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/instxprepair1.htm).

if you bought the PC from a shop without a disc then the repair files maybe on your hard drive, if you havnt got the instructions or a clue on how to get to them, then have a look at your brand and model and give it a google with search terms like "[make] [model] winxp boot repair(/installation)", if not post up your system on here and im sure someone will find it out for you :)

if you have no disc and no partition on the hard drive, then one of us will have to find you a link to a winXP install CD and for that youll need a working PC connection and a burner with a blank CD, youll also need your CD key which is usually printed on the side of the case or in the instructions with the Windows CD, but these things can be gotten around.

if re-installing windows fails then im thinking it will be a hardware failure, may have to run some tests to find the problem child but that bridge can be crossed when gotten there.

i would also suggest to upgrading to Win7 if you can, i think i read that your system was 5 yrs old though ?, so maybe best to stick with XP.

Hope this helped

Oh dear...

Turned my pc off' date=' then turned it back on and my loading screen froze :(

So started again but went through 'last known good configuartion' and it froze on the loading page :mad::(

Giving up for now as the football is on very soon.

[b']But does anyone know what went wrong?[/b]

Yeah, you've got a virus :P

Needs its windows doing again.

sucks man :/' date=' can you boot into safe mode ?, (tap f8 on start up to prompt the option ?)

if you can check out device manager ([url']http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windowsxp/ht/accessdmcmuxp.htm[/url]) and have a look to see if theres any "!" or "?" in yellow triangles, if there is, right click and uninstall driver, you can open the options up more by click the little "+" symbols.

If you cant get into safe mode, or boot from last known working config or whatever its called then your gunna need a restore disc for simplicity, find that, throw it in and it should at some point boot from the CD drive, it should prompt some options, one of them being a repair or restore of Windows (http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/instxprepair1.htm).

if you bought the PC from a shop without a disc then the repair files maybe on your hard drive, if you havnt got the instructions or a clue on how to get to them, then have a look at your brand and model and give it a google with search terms like "[make] [model] winxp boot repair(/installation)", if not post up your system on here and im sure someone will find it out for you :)

if you have no disc and no partition on the hard drive, then one of us will have to find you a link to a winXP install CD and for that youll need a working PC connection and a burner with a blank CD, youll also need your CD key which is usually printed on the side of the case or in the instructions with the Windows CD, but these things can be gotten around.

if re-installing windows fails then im thinking it will be a hardware failure, may have to run some tests to find the problem child but that bridge can be crossed when gotten there.

i would also suggest to upgrading to Win7 if you can, i think i read that your system was 5 yrs old though ?, so maybe best to stick with XP.

Hope this helped

I build and fix pcs all the time and from what he's describing an hardware failure seems more likely......next time you get a blue screen take a note of what it says

first thing that came to my mind was a joke by hugh dennis

having computer problems. let me come and swear at it.

jokes apart.

If your computer starts from the safe mode then it should some virus which is not allowing your PC to start normally.

firstly if you are able to log in safemode go to mycomputer/C drive/Windows/ prefetch. once here delete all files. also delete any temporary files.

now restart your PC.

if your PC goes into normal mode than scan your PC for virus or any other unknown softwares. also check for any suspicious task running on your computer.

Usually if you find any suspicious software it will not allow you to delete it. so first, try delete it in safe mode or search for a software that deletes files during boot up.