Wolverhampton Wanderers

50259_76949551811_6198793_n.jpg

Full Name: Wolverhampton Wanderers

Nicknames: Wolves

Founded: 1877

Stadium: Molineux Stadium

Capacity: 28,525

Chairman: Steve Morgan

Manager: Ryan Grosvenor (22/5/11 - Present)

New Era

After surviving relegation by the skin of their teeth, Wolves decided that changes had to be made if they were to stay in the Premier League for the long term. So they controversially sacked manager Mick McCarthy after 5 years in charge, to the suprise of many, Wolves appointed unknown manager Ryan Grosvenor on May 22nd 2011. Grosvenor hasn't had any experience at any level of coaching and had nowhere near the experience that a Premier League would need. But Wolves, despite protests, kept Grosvenor in charge to this day.

Shaky Start To Grosvenors Reign

Ryan Grosvenors first ever game in charge of Wolves was a shock friendly loss to Stockport county, this was followed by a friendly loss to Arsenal, 4-0. The start of the season started poorly aswell, with 5 points from 8 games. Wolves also were knocked out by Championship Norwich in the first round of the Shield and Wolves lost in the 3rd round of the Cup with a penalties loss to Swansea. Wolves struggled to stay off the bottom throughout the first half of the season and, still with the full backing from the Wolves board, Grosvenor was still in charge as Wolves were rock bottom at halfway. Even with shock wins against Liverpool and Everton. Grosvenor attracted alot of anger from fans as results were poor and Wolves stayed as odds on favourites for relegation. Fans booed nearly every game and alot banners telling Grosvenor to leave their club, many of the banners were offensive to Grosvenor but he has said he will stay at Wolves to finish his job. Fans were shocked as the Wolves board still backed Grosvenor for at least the full season.

New Regime, New Players

Midway of the season saw a dramatic change in Wolves' squad and Grosvenor's signings showed that he is very serious in his survival challenge. With star signing Didier Drogba and 6 new first team players, brighter times are ahead for Wolves as relegation looks less likely. Wolves showed that their fightback was seriously in as they immediately beat Chelsea 2-0. More to come..

Squad

Goalkeepers

Weidenfeller - 90

McKeown - 70

Defenders

Schennikov - 88

Emerson - 87

Cassani- 90

Heitinga - 90

Zapata - 89

Alderweireld - 89

Biava - 88

San Jose - 88

Beria - 88

Midfield

Rolfes - 91

Zyryanov - 90

Gago - 89

Corro - 75

Giannone - 75

Martin - 89

Del Moral - 89

Strikers

Drogba - 95

Necid- 88

Youth Squad

Stephens

Abdoulaye

Elvestad

Vacca

Goulart

Aketxe

Wade

Loaned Out

Silvestre - Carlisle

Pereira - Colchester

Hegeler - Huddersfield

Sanchez - Colchester

Smolov - Burton Albion

Neustadter - Peterborough

Fernandez - Mansfield

Sliskovic - Brighton

Welnicki - Barnsley

Sanhueza - Newport

Morales - Tamworth

M'Bengue - Histon

Team Records

Highest Attendance: 28,506 - Birmingham City - 4 Jun 2011

Biggest Home League Win: Wolves 2 - 0 Chelsea - 10 Aug 2011

Biggest Home League Defeat: Wolves 1 - 3 Arsenal - 13 Jul 2011

Biggest Away League Win: Everton 0 - 2 Wolves - 23 Jul 2011

Biggest Away League Defeat: West Ham 3 - 1 Wolves - 6 Aug 2011

Biggest Cup Win: Brighton 2 - 5 Wolves - 27 Jun 2011

Biggest Cup Defeat: Norwich City 2 - 0 Wolves - 20 Jun 2011

Highest Scoring League Game: Fulham 4 - 4 Wolves - 22 Jun 2011

Highest Scoring Cup Game: Brighton 2 - 5 Wolves - 27 Jun 2011

Most League Games Won in Row: 2 - 25 Jun 2011 to 29 Jun 2011

Most League Games Unbeaten in Row: 3 - 22 Jun 2011 to 29 Jun 2011

Player Records

Highest Transfer Fee Paid: £7.5M - Mikel SAN JOSE from Athletic Club - 25 May 2011

Highest Transfer Fee Received: £3.5M - Michael KIGHTLY to NK Slaven Belupo - 31 May 2011

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re: Wolves - EC 7777

wolves_logo.jpg

Wolves come alive in the transfer window. After some successful negotiations manager Ryan Grosvenor has managed to achieve some of his transfer targets as well as offloading a couple of youngsters.

Transfers In:

Carneiro KEIRRISON - Fending off competition from Shrewsbury and Northampton

Roman WEIDENFELLER - Beating Milwall to his signature

Sébastien CORCHIA - No competition :D

Toby ALDERWEIRELD - No competition :P

Georgi SCHENNIKOV - No competition :)

Transfers Out:

Johnny GORMAN - Reading

Scott MALONE - Reading

Matt DOHERTY - Stockport County

Total cash out: £1.6m

Total cash in: £1.2m

Players out of the club via swap deals: Leigh Griffiths, David Davis, Wayne Hennessey, Kevin Foley, Sam Winnall, Marcus Hahnemann, Christophe Berra, Ronald Zubar, Carl Ikeme.

However, Wolves have lost out on the signings of Philipp WOLLSCHEID to Gillingham, Kevin-Prince BOATENG to West Brom and Álvaro DOMINGUEZ to Aston Villa.

The Wolves manager has stated: 'This is just the start of our spending spree, we have quite a bit of cash left and I haven't even started on our midfield yet! There will be some more 1st team buys and 2nd team buys but have alot of work to do to get the players we want.'

In regards to loans, I will sort everything out when my team is fully sorted with the transfers etc. :)

wolves_logo.jpg

Ryan predicts a draw against Chelsea!

Wolves also complete 27 transfers before season opener against Chelsea.

Transfers In:

Carneiro KEIRRISON

Roman WEIDENFELLER

Sébastien CORCHIA

Toby ALDERWEIRELD

Georgi SCHENNIKOV

Andre SCHURRLE

Denny LANDZAAT

Kevin VOGT

Fedor SMOLOV

Marcel KANDZIORA

Franck BERIA

Tomasz WELNICKI

Cosimo PALUMBO

Mikel SAN JOSE

Sejad SALIHOVIC

Jose Antonio REYES

Michael PEREIRA

Fernando GAGO

Antonio VACCA

Henrik MKHITARYAN

Conceiçao EMERSON

Sergio SÁNCHEZ

Matías SILVESTRE

Giuseppe BIAVA

Jens HEGELER

Mladen PETRIC

Tomás NECID

Transfers Out:

Johnny GORMAN - Reading

Scott MALONE - Reading

Matt DOHERTY - Stockport County

Total cash out: £21.6m

Total cash in: £1.2m

Every player has left Wolves except Michael Kightly, Adriano Basso and Matt Jarvis. But Wolves have placed Basso and Kightly on the transfer list and are listening to any offers that come.

Wolves have also placed 5 players on the loan list: Kandziora (75, Cm/Am), Kevin Vogt (75, Dm), Tomasz Welnicki (75, Cb), Cosimo Palumbo (70, Cm/Am) and Antonio Vacca (67, Mid).

In an interview with Sky Sports when asked about the transfers, the Wolves manager has stated:

'I am very pleased with our signings, we have a strong squad with depth that will help us towards our Premier League survival. We may not have got our top transfer targets including Kevin Prince Boateng, Sulley Muntari and Douglas Costa but I feel our 'plan B' transfers will be just as great.'

Ryan, do you think your 2 friendly losses to Stockport and Arsenal will have any affect on the moral of the team?

'No, we know how to bounce back from these setbacks, plus in both friendlies I think only 2 or 3 players that played are still in the team now, we are much stronger now.'

What do you expect to get from your first game against Chelsea and the

rest of the season?

'We have already been written off against title chasing Chelsea, with the official predictions saying we will lose 5-0. That is incredibly harsh but this will spur us on even more and I feel we can get a draw. As for the season, our target is to avoid relegation obviously. With every team around us making top signings, it will be tough but once our players are settled and start playing well together we can get a decent rhythem going and we can avoid the drop!'

wolves_logo.jpg

Wolves Team To Face Chelsea is Announced.

New strike force will have to wait.

After weeks of speculation and anticipation, Wolves' squad is virtually complete and Ryans first competitive line up has been revealed:

Weidenfeller

Corchia.......Alderweireld.......San Jose.......Schennikov

Salihovic................Landzaat

Reyes................Mkhitaryan.............Schurrle

Keirrison

Subs: Basso, Biava, Beria, Gago, Hegeler, Jarvis, Smolov.

Suprisingly, new attacking duo Mladen Petric and Tomas Necid have not been included in the squad to face Chelsea. New central midfielder Fernando Gago only has a place on the bench, but is expected to make his debut today.

Sky Sports asked Mr. Grosvenor why he has not included his 2 star signings:

'Well, Tomas literally flown in from Russia in the early hours of this morning so there is no way he will be able to play football today. While Mladen has failed a late fitness test which is disappointing but I feel Carneiro will prove that he is good enough to play week in week out for us.'

Have you named your captain yet, if so, why have you named them so late?

'Yes I have, it was late as it was a difficult decision because we have so many new players but I have named Toby Alderweireld as captain. He will grow within the team and he has agreat future ahead of him, this means he will be the rock within the team and hopefully the team will build with him as the leader.'

What is your prediction for the match vs Chelsea?

I have said this before, I reckon 1-1 but this is Chelsea and anything can happen!

250px-Toby_Alderweireld.jpg

Toby Alderweireld is delighted to have been named Wolves captain.

Wolves narrowly lose opening match against Chelsea.

th_Chelsea_logo.pnglogo_201007140255.jpg

Chelsea 1 - 0 Wolves

David Villa (47)

Substitutions

Malouda for Ivanovic (45)

Beria for Corchia (60)

Jarvis for Reyes (60)

Smolov for Mkhitaryan (60)

Rossi for Totti (75)

Wolves put up a strong fight against title contenders Chelsea, as Ryan Grosvenor predicted, Wolves were much stronger than everyone had anticipated but were not good enough to reach his 1-1 prediction.

Stats:

62% Posession 38%

14 Total Shots 17

9 Shots on target 10

5 Corners 6

3 (Totti, Villa, Robben) Yellow Cards 1 (Salihovic)

0 Red Cards 0

Villa (9) Best Player(s) Alderweireld, San Jose, Jarvis (7)

Man of the Match: David Villa (Chelsea)

This is Mr. Grosvenors immediate reaction to the defeat:

How do you feel the game went today?

It went better than people expected, I am proud of the lads as we were against on of the best teams in the world. I am gutted we didn't manage to equalise and we didn't take the chances we created, especially Denny's first half chance. But that's the way it goes and we can take away the fact that we almost, almost managed a point at Stamford Bridge.

This result leaves Wolves in joint 16th place with Arsenal and Fulham

wolves_logo.jpg

League 1 to Premier League to Bundesliga in 3 days.

Mendez-Laings hopes of Premier League football are dashed.

_52351844_mendez-laing.jpg

Mendez-Laing was left out of Boro's first 2 league games.

3 days ago, Nathaniel Mendez-Laing was called back from his loan spell at Peterborough United after secret talks between the 'Boro and Wolves managers. The conclusion was that Nathaniel was to return to Molineux and another player would go the other way on loan at Peterborough. The 19 year old and the media had the impression that he would be in the squad to face Spurs and was in Ryan Grosvenor plans for the season.

Nathaniel tweeted:

Been called back to Wolves! Spurs on Wednesday here I come! :D

But the next day, Nathaniel found out he was to be invloved in a swap deal to bring Petar Sliskovic to Wolves from German club Mainz. Nathaniel agreed to the deal as Mainz offered a better wage than his previous wage at Wolves. The deal was concluded today and both players had finalised personal terms and are at their new clubs. Nathaniel said this on his Twitter as he touched down in Germany:

Gutted to leave Wolves. Germany now, never thought I'd leave good old England but this is a whole new adventure!

More transfers at Wolves:

In:

Martin Elvestad

James McKeown

Roman Neustadter - Swap deal with Adriano Basso

Petar Sliskovic - Swap deal with Nathaniel Mendez-Laing

Out:

Michael Kightley

Wolves team to face Tottenham:

Weidenfeller

Corchia.......Alderweireld.......San Jose.......Schennikov

Salihovic............Gago

Reyes........................Schurrle

Necid...........Petric

Subs: McKeown, Biava, Beria, Landzaat, Mkhitaryan, Jarvis, Keirrison.

Mladen Petric, Tomas Necid and Fernando Gago make their first starts as Wolves change their formation for their 2nd league match against Tottenham.

Sky Sports asked Mr. Grosvenor about Nathaniels move and his new signings Petar, Roman, James and Martin.

'It was difficult for Nath to discover that he was in the Prem and then out again but I'm afraid that's something we all have to deal with. He just didn't fit in my plans and Peterboroughs plans. We look forward to what our new signings bring although some will go out on loan to lower league clubs including Peterborough '

What is your prediction for the match vs Spurs?

'Tottenham have a great side and this is my first choice team so it could be close, but our home advantage will be useful so it could be a draw or even a narrow win for us!'

Spurs Prove too Strong for Wolves.

Weidenfeller has a day to forget.

logo_201007140255.jpgTottenham-Hotspur-FC-Logo-e1288293827752.png

Wolves 0

Tottenham 2

Van Der Vaart (27)

Van Der Vaart (44)

Substitutions

Jarvis for Necid (60)

Mkhitaryan for Schurrle(60)

Lennon for Willian (75)

Rafael-van-der-Vaart-cele-006.jpg

Van Der Vaart scores impressive brace to crush Wolves.

Another defeat for Grosvenors Wolves, but this proved Spurs' strength and showed that they can be the dark horses in the title race. This game was predicted correctly and rightly so, these 2 teams will be fighting at opposite ends of the table.

Stats:

36% Posession 64%

15 Total Shots 16

9 Shots on target 11

6 Corners 7

3 (San Jose, Salihovic, Gago) Yellow Cards 1 (Alves)

0 Red Cards 0

Man of the Match: Van Der Vaart (Tottenham)

In an interview with Sky Sports, Ryan doesn't seem to be too disheartened about the loss:

'We were outclassed today, we made some errors and Roman didn't have the best of days in goal but that isn't an excuse as Spurs taught us a lesson in football today. I'm glad the defence held out and only let 2 in and our new strike force didn't do too badly on their debuts but we still haven't scored this season. As soon as we get that first goal I think we will be on our way. Well done to Tottenham and I reckon they will be title contenders.'

Wolves are now bottom of the table, level with Bolton on goal difference after 2 games.

wolves_logo.jpg

Wolves Ready to Earn First Points of the Season.

Grosvenor makes 1 change but sticks with formation.

91607_news.jpg

Beria replaces Corchia at right back.

Wolves are looking for their first points of the season against Birmingham. Blues have had a great start to the season with 4 points out of 6 as they look to prove the doubters wrong by avoiding the drop, Wolves on the other hand are still one of the favourites to go down and if they don't get a result today, it's hard to see where else they will end up. With only one change to the starting 11, Grosvenor will attempt to beat Blues with a similar team in the same formation as last week.

Grosvenor has made 4 more transfers:

In:

Babacar M'Bengue

Omar Wade

Isaac Aketxe

Luca Giannone

Wolves team to face Birmingham:

Weidenfeller

Beria.......Alderweireld.......San Jose.......Schennikov

Salihovic..............Gago

Reyes........................Schurrle

Necid...........Petric

Subs: McKeown, Biava, Corchia, Landzaat, Mkhitaryan, Jarvis, Maierhofer.

Stefan Maierhofer has been recalled from Germany and starts on the subs bench in place of Kerrison.

Sky Sports asked Mr. Grosvenor about the lack of changes in the line up.

'I think we played well against Spurs, we may have lost 2-0 but if we stick to it, the team will bond and we WILL see results. I felt that Franck has shown his class more than Seb in training and I think he will do a better job at right back. Seb is only 20 and he has alot to give but at the moment, our team needs experience and stability.'

What is your prediction for the Blues match?

'Birmingham have shown that they are not really relegation candidates so it will be tough. But we can get a draw out of it, it will be close.'

Wolves Score First Goals to Overcome Blues.

Strike partners Necid and Petric on form.

logo_201007140255.jpg146B5E7D-0385-C8B3-DDEE42CC15E687AD.jpg

Wolves 2

Birmingham 1

Petric (1)

Necid (24)

Grosskreutz (84)

Substitutions

Jarvis for Reyes (60)

Mkhitaryan for Gago(60)

Maierhofer for Necid (60)

Hleb for Topal (60)

Callejon for Cassano (75)

mladen-petric.jpg

Petric celebrates his and Wolves' first goal of the season.

Wolves produce a great display to conquer Birmingham City, strike duo Mladen Petric and Tomas Necid were both on the scoresheet as Wolves earn their first win of the season. Wolves made a fantastic start thanks to Petric's first goal in the 1st minute and Necid made 2 going into half time. Kevin Grosskreutz scored a screamer of a consolation but Wolves clung on for the victory over their Midland rivals.

Stats:

51% Posession 49%

9 Total Shots 10

7 Shots on target 6

6 Corners 3

3 (Schennikov, San Jose, Mkhitaryan) Yellow Cards 1 (Arbeloa)

0 Red Cards 0

Man of the Match: Tomas Necid (Wolves)

Ryan Grosvenor expressed his joy of his first win with Wolves in an interview with Sky Sports:

'It's a great feeling knowing you have a win and 3 points under your belt, we are off and running and hopefully we can build on the win. I'm glad Mladen and Tomas have bonded on and off the pitch so well and the goals should come more frequently as they play more games together. I will be expecting more performances like today from now on.'

Wolves are in 17th place with 3 points after 3 games.

wolves_logo.jpg

Wolves Set for Black Country Derby.

Grosvenor changes formation as West Brom recall important loan.

233.jpg

Borja Valero returns to give Wolves a hard time.

Wolves are hoping to make it 2 wins in a row with another midlands derby this evening. This time it is the Black Country derby against West Bromwich Albion, with West Brom making a decent start with 6 points out of 9 and Wolves starting to find their feet with their first win against Birmingham, the game should a classic. The Baggies look to have the edge especially as they recall Spaniard Borja Valero from Villarreal, but Ryan has said that he has made another change to his formation to have a chance at getting a result from The Hawthorns.

Grosvenor has made 4 more transfers:

In:

Juan Morales

Alexander Corro

Junior Fernandez

Miguel Sanhueza

Wolves have said that they have made a bid for a striker in a swap deal with Stefan Maierhofer but the bid has yet to be accepted or rejected.

Sky Sports interviewed Ryan Grosvenor about the upcoming derby:

What do you think about the match against West Brom?

'West Brom obviously have a great team and will be tough opponents as shown by the amount of top quality players signing for them. They are the favourites, especially as they are at home but we like being underdogs and this could be a good thing and we could get a good result.'

How come you haven't released your formation to face West Brom?

'I have changed the formation and I want to it be kept secret until the lads run onto the pitch. I'm keeping it quiet just incase the West Brom manager decides to change his formation last minute. You'll have to wait and see.'

Wolves Slump to Third Defeat.

Boateng and Kallstrom seal another win for the Baggies.

4535274296_pre.jpglogo_201007140255.jpg

West Brom 2

Wolves 0

Boateng (35)

Kallstrom (47)

Gago (Sent off 72)

Substitutions

Corchia for Schennikov (60)

Mkhitaryan for Reyes(60)

Hegeler for Salihovic(60)

5aea0d4533e9ce511ab435e551da-medium.jpg

Fernando Gago was sent off after 72 minutes.

West Brom proved too strong for Wolves in the first Black Country derby of the season. With recently recalled Valero in the team, West Brom showed a great attacking display against Grosvenors strong defence. Problems in the midfield and Weidenfeller not showing form in goal cost Wolves dearly as they let the Baggies score 2 past them.

Wolves team against West Brom:

Weidenfeller

Beria.......Alderweireld.......San Jose.......Schennikov

Landzaat............Gago.............Salihovic

Reyes

Keirrison...........Petric

Subs: McKeown, Biava, Corchia, Schurrle, Mkhitaryan, Hegeler, Maierhofer.

Stats:

64% Posession 36%

10 Total Shots 11

3 Shots on target 5

8Corners 7

2 (Kadlec, Flamini) Yellow Cards 3 (Beria, Gago, Salihovic)

0 Red Cards 1 (Gago)

Man of the Match: Deigo Lopez (West Brom)

Sky Sports asked Ryan Grosvenor about the loss:

'I am very disappointed with the result and some players were worse than others and I will have to look at that later. Hopefully we will work on the training pitch to fix where we went wrong and improve. It's only 1 game and our performances have been very good until now, we'll focus on the Blackpool game and try and get a result there. Don't be suprised if you see some changes for the next match.'

What is your take on Roman Weidenfellers start to the season?

'It's been an up and down season so far for Roman and he seems to be coping worse here than I thought. We have talked and worked hard to see an improvement but it may take a while for him to settle. 1 reason could be that he thinks there is no competition for the goalie position as only 21 year old James McKeown is the other goalkeeper at the club. I may have to bring in another goalkeeper to keep Roman on his toes or even replace him but I will give Roman plenty of chances to prove himself.'

So will we see a new goalkeeper at Molyneux in the coming weeks?

Wolves are in 19th place with 3 points fro 4 games.

wolves_logo.jpg

Wolves Face Tough Test Against Leaders Blackpool.

Tomas Necid and new signing Manu Del Moral left on the bench.

IMG_21007es.jpg

Del Moral is fighting with Schurrle, Reyes, Jarvis and Pereira for a place on the wings.

Wolves' poor start to the season does not get any easier as they host surprise league leaders Blackpool tonight at Molyneux. At the start of the season you would have expected an easy Wolves win, but Blackpool have made some fantastic transfers and the progress they have made has been outstanding. This makes them overwhelming favourites going into this tie and it is hard to see any other result than a Blackpool win.

Wolves manager Ryan Grosvenor looks like he has made his final transfer as Wolves try to make an impact on this Premier League season. Winger and Forward Manu Del Moral has signed on 2 year deal from Sevilla with the transfer fee being £1.8m and Stefan Maierhofer. Stefan was not part of Ryans plans and he had already expressed his desire to leave the Midlands club days earlier. The transfer has been completed and Manu is in line to make his debut against Blackpool, albeit starting on the bench.

Wolves team to face Blackpool:

Weidenfeller

Beria.......Alderweireld.........San Jose.......Schennikov

Schurrle.......Landzaat.............Salihovic......Reyes

Mkhitaryan

Petric

Subs: McKeown, Biava, Emerson, Hegeler, Jarvis, Del Moral, Necid.

Fernando Gago is suspended following his red card against West Brom as Corchia and Keirrison are left out of the squad.

Sky Sports asked Ryan about Wolves' chance against Blackpool:

'They are top, we are second bottom. They are on form, we are not. But hey, this is football, if we go out there believing we can win and if we play like we played in our first few games, anything can happen. Sure it'll be a tough match but I'd like to see my players give it their all and we can get a draw or if I dare say it, a win!'

Do you think Manu Del Moral will be key player for you this season?

'I know the media wasn't expecting us to make a top signing, since we have already spent big in the transfer window. But Manu will have a successful term here at Wolves and I believe he will provide us with something different, I can't wait for him to play. He does face tough competition from other players in his position but that'll be good for him.'

Wolves Hold Leaders Blackpool to Goalless Draw.

Dull match pulls Wolves out of the relegation and knocks Blackpool off the top.

logo_201007140255.jpg1286349895.png

Wolves 0

Blackpool 0

Substitutions

Biava for Alderwiereld (45)

Emerson for Schennikov (45)

Jarvis for Schurrle (60)

Mathieu for Adriano (60)

Tetty for Adam (60)

france-shows-improvement-despite-loss-2010-08-12_l.jpg

Phillipe Mexes' shot is crucially clattered away to give Weidenfellers first clean sheet of the season.

Not the greatest of games but Wolves will be the happier team of the 2. Blackpool had many chances but failed to capitalise as Wolves' defence proved how strong they are. Both teams were evenly matched and nobody really stood out. Blackpool were hit hard with 2 injuries to important players Honda and Man of the Match Lisandro who will both miss the next couple of games. Wolves on the other hand have no injury worries and have a fully available squad for the cup tie against Cheltenham

Stats:

51% Posession 49%

5 Total Shots 13

5 Shots on target 4

3Corners 7

0 Yellow Cards 1 (Lazovic)

0 Red Cards 0

Man of the Match: Lopez Lisandro (Blackpool)

Blackpool Manager Marc Spicer has stated that he was disappointed with a second draw in a row. This is a clear indication of where he expects Blackpool to be in the league. Wolves manager Ryan Grosvenor on the other hand is extremely pleased with his teams performance:

'A draw against the leaders? Thank you very much. Extremely happy with the boys today, the clean sheet is an added bonus since it is a our first of the season. This is a real boost and we can now kick on and get a nice string of results together starting with a win in the cup.

Well done Marc by the way, his Blackpool side are immense and I'm amazed at the way they've started the season, if only we could swap places haha.'

I was just going to say, do you think it will be a comfortable win against Jasons Cheltenham?

'On paper, we should easily win so I will be putting out a weaker side and give the youngsters a chance. But this is the cup so you never know, it would be a real kick in the teeth if we did lose. I have faith in my squad though and I expect an easy win.'

Wolves are in 17th place with 4 points after 5 games.

Next game: Cheltenham Town in the Cup.

Cheltenham-Town-FC-logo-70x70.jpg

Understrength Wolves Brush Aside Brave Cheltenham.

Wolves ease to victory as Pereira shines.

logo_201007140255.jpg150px-Cheltenham_Town_FC.png

Wolves 3

Cheltenham Town 0

English Championship Cup Round 1

Stadium: Molineux - Attendance: 28,525

Pereira (18)

Keirrison (46)

Pereira (82)

Substitutions

Lowe for Traore (60)

9036310-michael-pereira-of-mallorca-in-action-during-the-match-between-espanyol-and-real-mallorca-at-the-est.jpg

Michael Pereira scores twice on debut to hustle the likes of Reyes for the first team.

An expected result as Wolves show their class to eliminate Division 4 Cheltenham. Pereira and Keirrison made outstanding performances to score all 3 goals and we could see them in the first team very soon. Cheltenham suffered with a red card just after half time, which, as they were already 2 behind, killed the game there and then. Wolves then took advantage with third goal in the last 10 minutes and to add insult to injury, Cheltenham lost a 2nd player to a red card in the last minute. No cup shock here.

Stats:

64% Posession 36%

28 Total Shots 5

13 Shots on target 5

3Corners 2

1 (Hegeler) Yellow Cards 2 (Lopez and Mahmoud)

0 Red Cards 2 (Mahmoud 48 and Lopez 89)

Man of the Match: Carneiro Keirrson (Wolves)

Wolves manager Ryan Grosvenor was impressed by his teams performance:

'I know we were against a Division 4 side, but the fact that we created 28 chances to their 5 is staggering. Unfortunately we only converted 3 shots but if we can turn this into our league games then Tomas and Mladen would convert more. So I will bear in mind how Seb and Michael performed on the wings today and hopefully more goals will come.

I have to say, Cheltenham performed really well today considering they are in Division 4, their defence was really strong. Good luck to them and Jason for the season.'

Wolves progress to the 2nd round and face a tricky tie away at Brighton.

Next game: Blackburn Rovers away.

Blackburn_Logo.gif

wolves_logo.jpg

Wolves looking to topple Blackburn.

Ryan make 9 changes from the win aganst Cheltenham.

9048571-michael-pereira-of-mallorca-celebrates-goal-with-others-players-during-the-match-between-espanyol-an.jpg

Pereira who had a great cup game, stays in the stating 11 along with Weidenfeller.

Wolves face a tricky game away at mid-table Blackburn, Wolves are hoping to carry on their form from the cup and Blackburn looking to bounce back from their shock defeat to Shorpe. This game will be a close call, Blackburn have made only 4 transfers while Wolves have had a complete overhaul of their squad, this game is hard to judge. Both methods could be very successful but today, one will give way.

Transfer News:

Wolves have completed the fantastic transfer of promising Brazilian youngster Ricardo Goulart from Internacional for a fee of 550k. The rumour mill has been spinning alot around the 20 year old, which has seen several English clubs including Chelsea, Tottenham and Norwich linked with the player. But after loads of speculation. Wolves have won the race for Goulart and manager Ryan Grosvenor is very pleased with his purchase and has said that Goulart can already go out on loan to gain experience in England.

Wolves team to face Blackpool:

Weidenfeller

Beria.......Alderweireld.........Biava.......Schennikov

Del Moral.......Gago...........Salihovic......Pereira

Mkhitaryan

Petric

Subs: McKeown, San Jose, Corchia, Landzaat, Reyes, Schurrle, Necid.

Fernando Gago returns from his suspension and Del Moral makes his debut in a fairly different Wolves team.

Mr. Grosvenor was interviewed by Sky Sports earlier about his chances in the Rovers game:

'This is a great chance to get some needed points for us. No disrespect to Blackburn but they look like possible relegation rivals later in the season and we need to capitalise on this. I feel that their moral will be low due to their cup loss and we can benefit from that. Hopefully we can get a win from this and it would be great to get a clean sheet too. '

Wolves Suffer Fourth Defeat of the Season.

Diouf strike sinks Wolves before half time.

2471D16D-9729-F67B-BBFE4F3D41A08905.jpgwolves_logo.jpg

Blackburn 2

Wolves 1

Division 1, Referee: Keith Stroud

Ewood Park, Attendance: 30,100

Dunn (35)

Salihovic (41)

Diouf (43)

Substitutions

Corchia for Beria (60)

Necid for Petric(60)

Reyes for Pereira(60)

_42919067_wolvesloss_pa.jpg

Another close defeat sends Wolves down to 19th.

Wolves disappointing season got even worse as Blackburn proved too strong. The game was settled before half time as all 3 goals were scored within 8 minutes. Dunn scored first for Rovers but Salihovic equalised for Wolves as the game looked to go into half time equal. But Mame Diouf had his say and scored the premature winner on 43 minutes.

Stats:

51% Posession 49%

13 Total Shots 17

12 Shots on target 4

3 Corners 5

2 Yellow Cards 1

0 Red Cards 0

Man of the Match: Santa Cruz (Blackburn)

Sky Sports asked Ryan Grosvenor about the loss:

'Well, another loss, what can I say? The positives were that we haven't been outclassed in any of our games as no one has scored more than 2 against us. This shows that our performances have been decent in all our games and the lads are starting to convert their training performances into the matches. I will look at changing our strategy into a more attacking one to see more goals in our games.'

Wolves are in 19th place with 4 points from 6 games.

Next Game: Home against Bolton Wanderers

m.gif

wolves_logo.jpg

Wolves change formation as they seek a 2nd win..

Ryan is hoping for more goals from the likes of Petric.

0222007.42.jpg

With only 1 goal this season, Mladen Petric needs to convert his stunning training goals into proper goals.

Wolves are hoping to crank up the pressure on surrounding teams by putting up an attacking display at Molineux tonight. With their top scorers on 1 goal, Wolves nned to find someone to convert more chances. That man looks likely to be Mladen Petric, but his lack of goals tonight may result in him being replaced by the likes of Tomas Necid. This is a great opportunity for Wolves to pick up 3 points as Bolton are looking wary in 13th.

Wolves team to face Bolton:

Weidenfeller

Beria.......Alderweireld.........Biava.......Schennikov

Landzaat .......Gago...........Salihovic

Del Moral........Petric...........Schurrle

Subs: McKeown, San Jose, Corchia, Mkhitaryan, Reyes, Pereira, Necid.

Wolves have no injury or suspension worries for this match. Reyes is suprisingly left on the bench while Matt Jarvis is left out of the squad.

Ryan was asked about the changes and the game tonight:

'This is very similar to the last game, we have a great chance to put some more points on the board and some goals aswell. Bolton are a strong side but I feel that we have to take this opportunity and win this game, especially as we are at home. I think we may see more goals tonight since I've changed the formation to a 4-4-3 with Manu, Mladen and Andre up front. I will change the formation mid game if necessary.'

Wolves Attacking Strategy Fails.

A lack-luster performance from the strikers prove costly.

logo_201007140255.jpg41365_100000461876686_5762_n.jpg

Wolves 0

Bolton Wanderers 1

Division 1

Stadium: Molineux - Attendance: 27,833

Farfan (56)

Substitutions

Corchia for Beria (60)

Mkhitaryan for Landzaat (60)

jefferson-farfan_1845010c.jpg

Jefferson Farfan celebrates his 56th minute winner for Bolton.

A close encounter between these two teams, with Bolton just coming out on top. Most players had an average game with some being completely zoned out in the match. Lee and Farfan were the outstanding players for Bolton but even they didn't have a great game. Wolves tried out a more attacking strategy but with their strikers having a miserable day, that plan failed. Maybe another formation change soon? Bolton will be pleased with the 3 points but their performance wasn't very convincing.

Stats:

49% Posession 51%

17 Total Shots 18

7 Shots on target 5

5 Corners 3

1 (Petric) Yellow Cards 2 (Beck and Mangane)

0 Red Cards 0

Man of the Match: Chung-Yong Lee (Bolton)

Manager Ryan Grosvenor seemed a little dumbfounded by the below average performance:

'Honestly, I thought we would have won this game, especially as we had a more attacking strategy. Our defence put up a strong fight against their attack and I'm happy we only let 1 goal in. But up front we were awful, all 3 of them we no where near where they should be and no goals at all.. On the plus side, the midfield had a decent game and are playing well together, I think i may have to sign another player to kick the strikeforce into gear.'

Wolves lie in 19th place with 4 points from 7 games.

Next game: Norwich City away in the 1st round of the Shield.

sh-logo-norwich.jpg

wolves_logo.jpg

Wolves Start Both Star Strikers.

Necid and Petric start together for first time in 7 matches.

1_3815_MEDIUMPIC_necid-m.jpg

Necid has struggled in training since his injury.

Wolves are preparing for a tough away trip against Fulham by starting both Necid and Petric up front. The pair were hoping to hit it off and give Wolves plenty of goals but so far have not lived up to expectations. Mladen Petric has played the majority of games but has only scored once, in the win against Birmingham where Necid got his only goal of the season. Tomas Necid has struggled to get into Grosvenors team since his injury a few weeks ago. Hopefully they will increase there tally's with a convincing display against the Cottagers.

Wolves team to face Fulham:

Weidenfeller

Corchia.......Alderweireld.........Biava.......Schennikov

Gago

Del Moral...............................................Reyes

Salihovic

Petric...........Necid

Subs: McKeown, San Jose, Silvestre, Mkhitaryan, Landzaat, Schurrle, Keirrison.

Seb Corchia comes in for the injured Beria at right back and Necid and Reyes come in for Landzaat and Schurrle. Matt Jarvis is left out of the squad again and the rumours of him leaving are growing rapidly.

Sky Sports asked Wolves Manager Ryan Grosvenor about his chances against Fulham and the rumours about Matt Jarvis' situation:

'This is another winnable game, but as we have seen recently, our form has been poor. But this is the first time Necid and Petric have played together in 7 games and the last time they played they both scored and we won so I am hoping for the same tonight. On the Matt Jarvis front, the rumours about him are true, he is unsettled and is not happy about his lack of games. I totally simpathise with him and if he wants to leave, which he does, I will let him go. There has been no row between me and Matt and he will leave on good terms and we wish him good luck in the future.

Are the rumours that he may leave in a swap deal and is France Jarvis' destination?

We will see, nothing's been confirmed yet, but something will happen soon.

8 Goal Thriller Ends in Draw.

Fulham come back from 4-1 down to level with Wolves.

untitled.bmpwolves_logo.jpg

Fulham 4

Wolves 4

Division 1, Referee: Chris Foy

Craven Cottage, Attendance: 22,542

Necid (4)

Gago (11)

Salihovic (29)

Borriello (43 Pen)

Petric (46)

Denisov (52)

Pastore (58)

Jansen (80)

Substitutions

Mkhitaryan for Salihovic (60)

Schurrle for Del Moral(60)

GYI0059296886_crop_450x500.jpg?1263925214

Jansen scores an 80th minute equaliser to round off a sensational match.

Wolves proved that they can score goals as put 4 past Schwarzer. Both strikers scored and that is exactly what manager Ryan Grosvenor wanted from them. On the other hand, the usually strong defence slipped and let 4 goals in, overall there were some outstanding performances from both sides and both managers should be pleased with the result.

Stats:

53% Posession 47%

9 Total Shots 20

4 Shots on target 13

6 Corners 5

0 Yellow Cards 2 (Necid, Petric)

0 Red Cards 0

Man of the Match: Borriello (Fulham)

Ryan Grosvenor had mixed feelings about the match:

'I am happy with the draw, but the fact that we were 4-1 up makes me think we lost 2 points here. The lads played very well and I am pleased that we had so many chance and managed to convert 4 of them. Tomas and Mladen both scored which gives them more confidence and I will look forward to more goals from them against Newcastle and Beyond'

Can you make a comment on your new midfielder, Marvin Martin?

'He is a great addition to the squad, he should start straight away in the next game and I'm sure he will give Mladen and Tomas some more options and hopefully more goals will be the outcome. I am sad to let Matt Jarvis go the other way but as I said before, we have left on good terms and I wish him and Andy Keogh the best of luck at Sochaux.'

Wolves are in 18th place with 5 points from 8 games.

Next Game: Home against Newcastle United

1308268125.jpg

wolves_logo.jpg

Wolves Looking To Build on Fulham Performance.

Grosvenor names same formation as Martin makes debut.

Marvin-Martin-leaves-Banbury,-while-Nathan-Haisley-joins-the-team-58104.jpg

Martin completed his transfer just days ago.

Wolves are hoping for more of the performance against Fulham as they face a young Newcastle side today at Molineux. With many chances created, many shots on target and both strikers scoring makes Wolves full of belief against Newcastle. Also, we can expect an even better performance thanks to the arrival of French international, Marvin Martin. 13th place Newcastle will try to knock Wolves' confidence and try and make some headway into the top half of the table. Anything could happen in this match but Wolves must be confident, especially as they are at home.

Wolves team to face Newcastle:

Weidenfeller

Corchia.......Alderweireld.........San Jose.......Schennikov

Gago

Del Moral...............................................Reyes

Martin

Petric...........Necid

Subs: McKeown, Biava, Silvestre, Salihovic, Mkhitaryan, Pereira, Keirrison.

Corchia remains at right back even though Biava is fit again and Marvin Martin comes in for Salihovic to make his debut.

Wolves Power Past Newcastle To Earn Second Win.

Wolves climb out of relegation as Salihovic nets winner.

wolves_logo.jpg1148470-11-1304241233208.jpg

Wolves 2

Newcastle United 1

Division 1

Stadium: Molineux - Attendance: 21,154

Necid (28)

Bender (74)

Salihovic (83)

Substitutions

Salihovic for Del Moral (60)

Sanchez for Ambrosini (60)

Martins-Indi for Erron (75)

sejad_salihovic_vedad_ibisevic_hug_getty-art.jpg

Salihovic came on for Del Moral not long before his 83rd minute winner.

Wolves' new formation works wonders for a second game in a row as they beat a young Newcastle side. After great performances from the majority of the Wolves players, they showed that they can play well together and are ready to make a serious push for survival. Newcastle dominated the stats suprisingly but Wolves had the overall gameplay and teamwork to win this tight match.

Stats:

46% Posession 54%

10 Total Shots 12

6 Shots on target 11

3 Corners 5

1 (Corchia) Yellow Cards 1 (Delgado)

0 Red Cards 0

Man of the Match: Tomas Necid(Wolves)

Manager Ryan Grosvenor was very pleased with his sides performance:

'It's great to get a second win, especially against such a fantastic club of Newcastle. The goals are starting to flow now and Necid and Petric put up great performances again and I'm glad Tomas got another goal. Mladens injury is not as worse as first thought, he will only miss the cup match against Brighton and should be back to face Sunderland. I'm really pleased with the win and that we are out of the relegation spots!.'

Wolves lie in 17th place with 8 points from 9 games.

Next game: Brighton and Hove Albion away in the 2nd round of the Cup.

Brighton%20logo%201.jpg

Wolves Put 5 Past Brighton To Make Round 3.

Pereira and youngster Goulart steal the show.

bha.gifwolves_logo.jpg

Brighton 2

Wolves 5

English Cup Round 2, Referee: Sergio Pezzotta

AMEX Stadium, Attendance: 8,036

Wade (1)

Pereira (16)

Cimpric (29)

Hegeler (54)

Cimpric (59)

Goulart (78)

Goulart (86)

Substitutions

Goulart for Mkhitaryan (60)

7772587.ricardo_goulart_esportes_224_299.jpg

Ricardo Goulart scores twice after coming on at 60 mintues.

Wolves score 11 goals in 3 games as their scoring drought sensationally came to an end. Wolves manager Ryan Grosvenor proved that his new formation would work and this could be the one to make Wolves a force this season. Wolves kept the same formation against Fulham and Newcastle but they made 10 changes for the match against Brighton to give the reserves and youngsters a go. This proved great as 20 year old Ricardo Goulart managed to score twice in the last 15 minutes. Brighton put up a decent fight with 2 goals from Cimpric but Wolves proved their Premier League status and was too bigger test for the Seagulls.

Stats:

42% Posession 58%

17 Total Shots 30

11 Shots on target 19

8 Corners 7

2(McNulty, Smith) Yellow Cards 2 (Biava, Goulart)

1 (McNulty) Red Cards 0

Man of the Match: Michael Pereira (Wolves)

Wolves manager Ryan Grosvenor was satisfied with his teams performance:

'This could have been the shock of the round as Brighton are a great team and I was wary going into it. The reserves did incredibly well and I'm really happy that we have made the 3rd round. One of my targets at the start of the year was to have a decent cup round and we are on our way to achieve that. Hopefully the amount of goals we are scoring will continue in our next few games. Fair play to Brighton, they gave it a good go and they did have it tough with the sending off in the first half. Good luck to them for the season.'

Wolves progress to the 3rd round of the cup and will face a tough test against Swansea City.

Next Game: Away against Sunderland.

sunderland.png

wolves_logo.jpg

Wolves Hope To Continue Good Form.

Grosvenor makes one change as Del Moral makes way for Schurrle.

Danny_Welbeck_1788550c.jpg

Wolves wary of Welbeck threat.

Wolves make the long trip up north as they face an important match against an equally low Sunderland. Both teams look like they will be in the releagtion scrap at the end of the year so this game could be vital for how the end of season pans out. This game could go either as the form of both teams are hard to make sense of. Wolves have seemed to have figured out their formation and will hope that will be the difference between the two this evening.

Wolves team to face Sunderland:

Weidenfeller

Corchia.......Alderweireld.........Biava.......Schennikov

Gago

Schurrle...............................................Reyes

Martin

Petric...........Necid

Subs: McKeown, Biava, Silvestre, Salihovic, Mkhitaryan, Del Moral, Keirrison.

Wolves have only one injury problem as Beria is still out. But the team remains the same from the last league game except for Schurrle coming in for Del Moral. The formation stays the same.

Sky Sports asked Ryan Grosvenor about the importance of this game:

'At the moment this is just another game, we have a great chance to get a result and I expect the lads to give their all. This may be important at the end of the year but we have to take it one step at a time and we look to be out of that relegation fight before the remaining few games. '

• 2 weeks later...

Wolves' Run Continues.

Mladen Petric pulls off a stunning performance.

newbadge.giflogo_201007140255.jpg

Sunderland 2

Wolves 3

Division 1

Stadium: Stadium of Light - Attendance: 28,299

Goodwillie (20)

Petric (42)

Petric (59)

San Jose (76)

Richardson (80)

Substitutions

Salihovic for Martin (60)

Del Moral for Petric (60)

mladen-petric-514.jpg

Petric came off after 60 minutes to a standing ovation.

After going a goal down after 20 minutes, Wolves pulled off a great comeback by scoring 3 goals inspired by Petric's performance. Sunderland looked dead and buried at 78 minutes when Mascara was sent off and they were 2 goals behind. But Richardson somehow managed to pull a goal back at 80 minutes to make it a tense finish but Wolves held on for another win to climb up the table.

Stats:

47% Posession 53%

20 Total Shots 19

15 Shots on target 11

4 Corners 5

2 (Cattermole, Riveros) Yellow Cards 1 (Corchia)

1 (Mascara, 78) Red Cards 0

Man of the Match: Mladen Petric (Wolves)

The Premier League teams now have over a week off before their next game which gives them a chance to have a break and play a couple of friendlies.

Next games: Valencia then PSG at home in friendly matches.

Archived