Counter formations

Hyina

Re: Counter formations

In my experience at managing and also general comprehension of tactics' date=' I think that:

To counter 4-4-2, use 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 diamond

To counter 4-3-3, use 3-5-2 or 4-5-1 defensive

To counter 4-5-1, use 3-2-2-2-1

To counter 3-4-3, use 4-2-3-1

To counter 3-5-2, use 4-3-3 wingers or 4-5-1 defensive

To counter 3-3-4, use 4-4-2

To counter 5-4-1, use 3-2-2-2-1

To counter 5-3-2, use 3-4-2-1

To counter 5-2-3, use 4-3-3

To counter 4-4-2 diamond, use 3-2-2-2-1

To counter 4-3-3 wingers, use 4-1-3-2 or 4-4-2 diamond

To counter 4-5-1 defensive, use 3-4-2-1

To counter 4-2-3-1, I'm struggling on this at the moment :o any ideas?

To counter 4-3-2-1, use 4-2-2-2 or 4-2-3-1

To counter 4-4-1-1, use 3-2-2-2-1

To counter 4-3-1-2, use 3-4-3 or 5-3-2

To counter 3-4-1-2, use 4-5-1

To counter 5-3-2, use 3-2-2-2-1

To counter 5-3-2 defensive, use 3-4-3

To counter 4-2-4, use 4-3-3

To counter 4-2-2-2, use 3-2-2-2-1

To counter 4-1-3-2, use 4-4-2 or 4-3-2-1 or 4-2-3-1

To counter 3-2-2-2-1, use 5-3-2 sweeper

Hope you enjoy! And start winning games from now on too!

:)

Note, if you have used this advice and lost a game, please post it in this thread so I can have a careful look and maybe change it.

:confused::confused:

Hello,

I just wanted to thank you for posting these counter formations. This great post deserves 5 stars and although I did not win every single game (with my team its difficcult), I managed to place second by 1 bloody point, and win a cup trophy with Sampdoria.

Now, I have been experimenting also and I wanted to contribute because I believe to have found an effective counter formation against the 4-2-3-1.

I played a 5-4-1 formation first in several games managing LaSpezia and one Managing Sampdoria (came in 2nd in 3rd division) vs Napoli (champion of 2nd division) and won 4-1.

Now, the game vs Napoli was a friendly and he had an average rating of 88, I had an average rating of 90. His tactics enabled him to win the last 10 games and tie one, I was using the 5-4-1 with LaSpezia due to its average rating of 81 and won against teams that had averages 3-4 points higher, and won by 3-4 goals difference.

Whilst reading on the Italian forum, one user suggested 5-4-1 because you work with essentially 5 defenders, the team stays compact and the opposite team is forced to go all the way forward to score and get through the 5 man defense. With two strong center fielders at support of an attacking midfielder functioning as a playmaker, AM.

They would be able to steal the ball and pass it to the playmaker which they consequently leave free, and he shoots the ball forward past the opponent's high defense leaving the ball to one CF who then grabs it and runs free to score. Worked so far, use at your own risk. Just wanted to contribute a little input.

Matteo

Hello' date='

I just wanted to thank you for posting these counter formations. This great post deserves 5 stars and although I did not win every single game (with my team its difficcult), I managed to place second by 1 bloody point, and win a cup trophy with Sampdoria.

Now, I have been experimenting also and I wanted to contribute because I believe to have found an effective counter formation against the 4-2-3-1.

I played a 5-3-1 formation first in several games managing LaSpezia and one Managing Sampdoria (came in 2nd in 3rd division) vs Napoli (champion of 2nd division) and won 4-1.

Now, the game vs Napoli was a friendly and he had an average rating of 88, I had an average rating of 90. His tactics enabled him to win the last 10 games and tie one, I was using the 5-3-1 with LaSpezia due to its average rating of 81 and won against teams that had averages 3-4 points higher, and won by 3-4 goals difference.

Whilst reading on the Italian forum, one user suggested 5-3-1 because you work with essentially 5 defenders, the team stays compact and the opposite team is forced to go all the way forward to score and get through the 5 man defense. With two strong center fielders at support of an attacking midfielder functioning as a playmaker, AM.

They would be able to steal the ball and pass it to the playmaker which they consequently leave free, and he shoots the ball forward past the opponent's high defense leaving the ball to one CF who then grabs it and runs free to score. Worked so far, use at your own risk. Just wanted to contribute a little input.

Matteo[/quote']

5-3-2 or 5-4-1?

I am having a bit of difficulties seeing the the posts correctly. However' date=' to answer your question, yes, the 5-4-1 is what I was referring to. I edited and fixed the post. I apologize.:o[/quote']

your profile is a little weird im trying to send u a msg but i cant even fid how to do that!!lol

your profile is a little weird im trying to send u a msg but i cant even fid how to do that!!lol

Yeah, I am not sure how to use this forum yet, never had such problem before, the posts look all screwed up once I log in. Anyways, thanks for the request, I accepted it. Also fixed one more mistake on my previous post, definitely not my best day. :confused:

Hello' date='

I played a 5-4-1 formation first in several games managing LaSpezia and one Managing Sampdoria (came in 2nd in 3rd division) vs Napoli (champion of 2nd division) and won 4-1.

Now, the game vs Napoli was a friendly and he had an average rating of 88, I had an average rating of 90. His tactics enabled him to win the last 10 games and tie one, I was using the 5-4-1 with LaSpezia due to its average rating of 81 and won against teams that had averages 3-4 points higher, and won by 3-4 goals difference.

Whilst reading on the Italian forum, one user suggested 5-4-1 because you work with essentially 5 defenders, the team stays compact and the opposite team is forced to go all the way forward to score and get through the 5 man defense. With two strong center fielders at support of an attacking midfielder functioning as a playmaker, AM.

Matteo[/quote']

Yes, I have tried the 541 too and won 4-3! But the 2nd time I used it I lost 1-3... but I will add 541 in, thank you for your input :)

Hello' date='

Matteo[/quote']

do you use attacking or defensive mentality?

manvsbayern.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I am not sure if this works all the time' date=' in my case it did. Also, it is really important to place the right type of player in the right position. The players on the wings have to possess a fairly high skill level in both centrefield/wing and defense qualities. I am talking about players like Edgar Davids if you know what I mean. A grean dot does not always mean you got the best player for the role. You can make your Defensive Midfielder play like your 6th man in your defense depending on how you set him up to play. It seems hard that with a 5 men defense you could ever suffer such a loss. Then again, this is not real life. I have had great results with this formation, but then again, a bad day can happen. I experimented a bit before posting, I also watch their formation and try to place the right people in the right places to counter the skill of their men. I am sure you all do the same though.

[center'][/center]

The thing is, you've got to be in a majority in the midfield to have a good countering team:

3-5-2 works great against 4-4-2 and 4-4-2 diamond. The extra man on CM will 9 times out of 10 win you the battle. You do have to select 'Tight Marking' or 'Offside Trap' then, otherwise it won't work.

3-4-3 is the best counterformation against a 4-3-3. Again with the option of 'Tight Marking' .. otherwise no success.

4-5-1 (offensive) works the best against a 4-2-3-1 or even a 4-3-2-1. Over here you should make sure that the Wingers are pushed forward, and that the mentality is defensive. This will make the wingers work much harder in defense, but in a counter situation they become deadly (especially if they're 90+)

Now, for a 5-man defence, the only real option would be a 4-2-4, although 4-2-4 is a very risky formation, because you are then very vulnerable behind. Similarly, Someone plaing with 3 or 4 attackers, is also quite vulnerable in the back, so the best formation for that would be a 5-4-1 (defensive) or a 5-3-2 (sweeper) --> this one being the more offensive of the 2 :)

In my experience at managing and also general comprehension of tactics' date=' I think that:

To counter 4-4-2, use 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 diamond

To counter 4-3-3, use 3-5-2 or 4-5-1 defensive

To counter 4-5-1, use 3-2-2-2-1

To counter 3-4-3, use 4-2-3-1

To counter 3-5-2, use 4-3-3 wingers or 4-5-1 defensive

To counter 3-3-4, use 4-4-2

To counter 5-4-1, use 3-2-2-2-1

To counter 5-3-2, use 3-4-2-1

To counter 5-2-3, use 4-3-3

To counter 4-4-2 diamond, use 3-2-2-2-1

To counter 4-3-3 wingers, use 4-1-3-2 or 4-4-2 diamond

To counter 4-5-1 defensive, use 3-4-2-1

To counter 4-2-3-1, use 5-4-1

To counter 4-3-2-1, use 4-2-2-2 or 4-2-3-1

To counter 4-4-1-1, use 3-2-2-2-1

To counter 4-3-1-2, use 3-4-3 or 5-3-2

To counter 3-4-1-2, use 4-5-1

To counter 5-3-2, use 3-2-2-2-1

To counter 5-3-2 defensive, use 3-4-3

To counter 4-2-4, use 4-3-3

To counter 4-2-2-2, use 3-2-2-2-1

To counter 4-1-3-2, use 4-4-2 or 4-3-2-1 or 4-2-3-1

To counter 3-2-2-2-1, use 5-3-2 sweeper

Hope you enjoy! And start winning games from now on too!

:)

Note, if you have used this advice and lost a game, please post it in this thread so I can have a careful look and maybe change it.

How about countering 3-4-2-1