Counter formations

Hyina

Re: Counter formations

Do you know how can I counter a 4-2-3-1?

Tackling Style Hard

Mentality Attacking

Passing Style Direct

Attacking Style Down Both Flanks

Tempo Normal

Pressing Own Half

Play Style Tight Marking

Use Play Maker

Use Target Man

In a competitive world' date=' division 4, my opponent only lost like 5 games. He has an average of 86-87.

I have an average 88-89 and I usually use 3-5-2, but I've rarely won to any team with 4-2-3-1.

I have tried also 4-4-2 but it didn't work either. This guy lost his last game against a 3-4-3. Can this tactic work? Or should I try 5-3-2 like TIM JASSEN suggested? Thank you in advance[/quote']

451 defensive :)

Well I personally think that If you are under form(like me for example) then you won't be winning matches no matter what tactics You will put. I'm really really strugling with my Man United. I used 3-5-2, 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1 and in 6 matches I provided one win and one draw. The rest ended losing even to teams like Levante, Dynamo Moksva. Other managers on my server(it's new btw so Levante IS Levante) use only one formation and somehow it works on others. They don't change formation to particular rival, just play one and winning. Mostly it is 3-5-2 or 4-4-2. But when I try to play those formations I am really strugling. So I think that formation does not play a big role. It's the current form of your team. You perform good or bad and for me that's all. All this counter formations and changing formation from match to match. IMO this won't be good for any team. I also think that team has to addapt to formation and stick with it for some matches to start gain some result with it. Off course that is not a rule but from now on I will choose one formation and stick with it for about 10 matches and start watching results from about 6th match.

Sorry for my bad english

Well I personally think that If you are under form(like me for example) then you won't be winning matches no matter what tactics You will put. I'm really really strugling with my Man United. I used 3-5-2, 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1 and in 6 matches I provided one win and one draw. The rest ended losing even to teams like Levante, Dynamo Moksva. Other managers on my server(it's new btw so Levante IS Levante) use only one formation and somehow it works on others. They don't change formation to particular rival, just play one and winning. Mostly it is 3-5-2 or 4-4-2. But when I try to play those formations I am really strugling. So I think that formation does not play a big role. It's the current form of your team. You perform good or bad and for me that's all. All this counter formations and changing formation from match to match. IMO this won't be good for any team. I also think that team has to addapt to formation and stick with it for some matches to start gain some result with it. Off course that is not a rule but from now on I will choose one formation and stick with it for about 10 matches and start watching results from about 6th match.

Sorry for my bad english

No problem, I'm not english either, your english is fine.

Yes I agree with what you say, but I'm playing in a competitive world game where every team has an human coach, and almost each one presents a different tactic.

I believe that the system you choose must be adapted to the players you have, not only to your strongest 11, but also considering most part of your team. However, I think you don't have to stick to one and only system. I started playing SM a few months ago with 3-5-2 for about 30 or more matches (some of them friendly matches). Against some teams it worked, with others I failed, but I was also building a team, buying players meanwhile. And those new players worked better with 4-4-2. So, that allowed me to choose between 3-5-2 and 4-4-2.

However, I always loose or draw against 4-2-3-1(4 teams) and 4-2-2-2(2 teams), even when the players were in a good shape and morale. And I have 88-89 of average rating and some of them 86-87. So want to try another system against them, to see if works. That's why I asked here.

Thank you both Kai and Hynia. ;)

Well I personally think that If you are under form(like me for example) then you won't be winning matches no matter what tactics You will put. I'm really really strugling with my Man United. I used 3-5-2' date=' 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1 and in 6 matches I provided one win and one draw. The rest ended losing even to teams like Levante, Dynamo Moksva. Other managers on my server(it's new btw so Levante IS Levante) use only one formation and somehow it works on others. They don't change formation to particular rival, just play one and winning. Mostly it is 3-5-2 or 4-4-2. But when I try to play those formations I am really strugling. So I think that formation does not play a big role. It's the current form of your team. You perform good or bad and for me that's all. All this counter formations and changing formation from match to match. IMO this won't be good for any team. I also think that team has to addapt to formation and stick with it for some matches to start gain some result with it. Off course that is not a rule but from now on I will choose one formation and stick with it for about 10 matches and start watching results from about 6th match.

Sorry for my bad english[/quote']

Totally agree with you... Few weeks ago, I played against Juve I have used 433w against his 4222 and I lost 0-2... What's the problem? Week earlier other guy played against Juve (4222) and he also used 433w and he won 6-1 (same in game instructions, everything):confused: So I am thinking to stick with one formation and don't change it at all.

No problem' date=' I'm not english either, your english is fine.

Yes I agree with what you say, but I'm playing in a competitive world game where every team has an human coach, and almost each one presents a different tactic.

I believe that the system you choose must be adapted to the players you have, not only to your strongest 11, but also considering most part of your team. However, I think you don't have to stick to one and only system. I started playing SM a few months ago with 3-5-2 for about 30 or more matches (some of them friendly matches). Against some teams it worked, with others I failed, but I was also building a team, buying player meanwhile. And those new players worked better with 4-4-2. So, that allowed me to choose between 3-5-2 and 4-4-2.

However, I always loose or draw against 4-2-3-1(4 teams) and 4-2-2-2(2 teams), even when the players were in a good shape and morale. And I have 88-89 of average rating and some of them 86-87. So want to try another system against them, to see if works. That's why I asked here.

Thank you both Kai and Hynia. ;)[/quote']

yust read this thread ,and not only the frist page..you will learn a lot.

about formations and tactcis just see at your team and find out the best position of your players,is it possible that a player is cm/am, but don't do it not great on the 10 in 4231 example, but play better on the 8 or 6 als playmaker..thats is for you to find out, is not only to have the stronger players but to build a team,who can play together.

about formation..I chance almost every time and I don't see that is bad or wrong for my team, the play even some 3 formations in 1 game and that don't make a different to me...just see at your team ,learn your players how the play ,think before you do something, look at your opponent, find his weak spot on, and changed your configuration with the right players,full-up the holle's in your team, close the door to the goal when winning..

and you will get better result...that works for me, and still ,even whitout these 90+ players...good-luck.

about formations and tactcis just see at your team and find out the best position of your players' date='is it possible that a player is cm/am, but don't do it not great on the 10 in 4231 example, but play better on the 8 or 6 als playmaker..thats is for you to find out, is not only to have the stronger players but to build a team,who can play together.[/color']

about formation..I chance almost every time and I don't see that is bad or wrong for my team, the play even some 3 formations in 1 game and that don't make a different to me...just see at your team ,learn your players how the play ,think before you do something, look at your opponent, find his weak spot on, and changed your configuration with the right players,full-up the holle's in your team, close the door to the goal when winning..

and you will get better result...that works for me, and still ,even whitout these 90+ players...good-luck.

Yes, I'm trying to know all my players, most of hem are unknown for me in real life. I even try to approach to the reality by seeing real matches which they are in. I care for the response of my players in the team, by reading all the comments, seeing all the statistics and trying them in many positions and combinations as possible. That will take some time, but I'm enjoying it.

I played Football manager since CM2, but I don't play since 2006, that takes too much time and I prefer to play here. I only started on July but I like to know new people, starting from below in a championship with 4 divisions with 70 humans, i find it all more challenging. It took some time to understand how ratings work, and now the next step it's dominate the tactics, and finding the one that will match perfectly with the team that I'm building.

I'll read this thread to learn more about it. Thank you Tim and all others for your answers. Good game to all! ;)

Yes' date=' I'm trying to know all my players, most of hem are unknown for me in real life. I even try to approach to the reality by seeing real matches which they are in.[b'] I care for the response of my players in the team, by reading all the comments, seeing all the statistics and trying them in many positions and combinations as possible.[/b] That will take some time, but I'm enjoying it.

I'll read this thread to learn more about it. Thank you Tim and all others for your answers. Good game to all! ;)

Word of advice friend, don't over complicate a simple game-reality has no bearing on SM performance except ratings, retirement and position.

One of the things you should do is look back at the results in your gameworld/formations etc -it will help set your team up.

Word of advice friend' date=' don't over complicate a simple game-[b']reality has no bearing on SM performance except ratings, retirement and position. [/b]

One of the things you should do is look back at the results in your gameworld/formations etc -it will help set your team up.

Yes, I'm aware of that. It's just because it's funnier that way. For instance, I have 5 players from Club Brugge (it just happened, I'm a portuguese guy, not a supporter of this team) and now that they're playing against one portuguese team for Europa League, I'll just watch the game to know them and to see them in action. It's not an obession, it's curiosity. It's like having a "World Cup sticker collection" before the competition starts and then you see the nº274, one left back from Saudi Arabia, playing on TV. ;)

Thanks for your advice!

Yes' date=' I'm aware of that. It's just because it's funnier that way. For instance, I have 5 players from Club Brugge (it just happened, I'm a portuguese guy, not a supporter of this team) and now that they're playing against one portuguese team for Europa League, I'll just watch the game to know them and to see them in action. It's not an obession, it's curiosity. It's like having a "World Cup sticker collection" before the competition starts and then you see the nº274, one left back from Saudi Arabia, playing on TV. ;)

Thanks for your advice![/quote']

glad to hear it-would not want you to miss that other game in-between the football and SM called life :)

Yes' date=' I'm aware of that. It's just because it's funnier that way. For instance, I have 5 players from Club Brugge (it just happened, I'm a portuguese guy, not a supporter of this team) and now that they're playing against one portuguese team for Europa League, I'll just watch the game to know them and to see them in action. It's not an obession, it's curiosity. It's like having a "World Cup sticker collection" before the competition starts and then you see the nº274, one left back from Saudi Arabia, playing on TV. ;)

Thanks for your advice![/quote']

A SIMPLY QUICK LOOK AT WWW.TRANSFERMARKT.CO.UK , you find there all these players of the world there frist position,2de and 3de, there preformers in all there game's,team's,euro-champion schip, how manny goals,assits,etc...is a good basis to know who,play where,and how the do it real life...thats al what you have to know...;)

Hey Guys I've got an really hard opponent tonight and I really want to win' date='What is the most attacking Formation[/quote']

It dosent work like that, you need to put his formation and rating up for get opinions on how to counter it, theres a guide that Hyina has put up on the first post if you need to use it.

G.BUFFON

P.LAHM N.VIDIĆ D.RAFAEL P.EVRA

G.CHIELLINI

S.NASRI D.DE ROSS

W.SNEIJDER

S.ETO'O W.ROONEY

Average Rating:94 -Last Game,Formation Diamond

How can I counter this and whats the most attacking formation I can use

I am top of one of my leagues and playing the team in 2nd on Wednesday evening, and first time I have come up against 4-2-4 formation. I was think of playing 4-2-3-1 with forward diagonal arrows on 7 + 11. With hard tackling, defensive, direct passing, through the middle, slow tempo, pressing own half.

With arrows ticked on Counter attack, tight marking, men behind ball and target man. Now should this work? Important game as if the other manager wins he is back in the race for the title.

I should say my team is rated three higher.

I am top of one of my leagues and playing the team in 2nd on Wednesday evening' date=' and first time I have come up against 4-2-4 formation. I was think of playing 4-2-3-1 with forward diagonal arrows on 7 + 11. With hard tackling, defensive, direct passing, through the middle, slow tempo, pressing own half.

With arrows ticked on Counter attack, tight marking, men behind ball and target man. Now should this work? Important game as if the other manager wins he is back in the race for the title.

I should say my team is rated three higher.[/color']

Any formation with 4 or 5 in midfield.

I think 4-2-3-1 is the best option..with 4 defenders dealing with 4 attackers and you bossing midfield.

A SIMPLY QUICK LOOK AT WWW.TRANSFERMARKT.CO.UK ' date=' you find there all these players of the world there frist position,2de and 3de, there preformers in all there game's,team's,euro-champion schip, how manny goals,assits,etc...is a good basis to know who,play where,and how the do it real life...thats al what you have to know...;)[/quote']

I only saw your message right now... Sorry. Yes, I know the site but I want to see them playing in real life, even when know their statistic data. Thank you anyway Tim!

I am top of one of my leagues and playing the team in 2nd on Wednesday evening' date=' and first time I have come up against 4-2-4 formation. I was think of playing 4-2-3-1 with forward diagonal arrows on 7 + 11. With hard tackling, defensive, direct passing, through the middle, slow tempo, pressing own half.[/color']

I should say my team is rated three higher.

typically what i do is

1. look at the opposing team schedule. see if they usually play the same formation.

2. look out for matches where they lost.

3. study any trends of their opponents on teams where they lost. eg. 32221 always lost vs teams that play 352.

and there you have it.

Playing against a 334 who's team average is around 2 ratings higher than mine' date=' with the following;

Tackling Style: Normal

Mentality: Attacking

Passing Style: Mixed

Attacking Style: Mixed

Tempo: Fast

Pressing: All Over

Will a 352 really counter this?[/quote']

Anybody?....

Anybody?....

334 is quite rarely used in my experience, but I have played 352 against 334 long ago & definitely won. The BIG PLUS is dominating midfield, the negative is 4 forwards v your 3 defs. I'll leave you to work out how u counter that, its not difficult & to be candid u might not need to anyway, as midfield may take care of this. Good Luck :)

I am top of one of my leagues and playing the team in 2nd on Wednesday evening' date=' and first time I have come up against 4-2-4 formation. I was think of playing 4-2-3-1 with forward diagonal arrows on 7 + 11. With hard tackling, defensive, direct passing, through the middle, slow tempo, pressing own half.

I should say my team is rated three higher.[/color']

Well I got beat 2-0 so that formation can be scratched, I will try 4-5-1 next time around.

typically what i do is

1. look at the opposing team schedule. see if they usually play the same formation.

2. look out for matches where they lost.

3. study any trends of their opponents on teams where they lost. eg. 32221 always lost vs teams that play 352.

and there you have it.

The manager has only been using 4-2-4 for the last 3 or 4 games and won them all. I always do what you advised as a rule anyway.