|My Football Manager 2011 Story|

Kf_east_bengal_logo.png

FOREWORD:

1.Feel free to comment on this thread of how im doing,suggestions of singings/tactics etc.

2.I am using patch 11.3 with no updates.

3.I am inspired by "The Indian Barcelona" story on another forum and will base mine loosely on that so please don't accuse me of copying.

4.FMRTE will be used to simulate the takeover and money invested by the Armani group.

I will post my first update soon.

ENJOY!

Re: |Kingfisher East Bengal Club|My Football Manager 2011 Story|

The life of a football player can be summed up often with telephone conversations. A telephone call between me and a football agent based in Birmingham that set my career off when I was just 17 years old, and by the time I was 19, Ross Clarke was a name proudly displayed on the back of many Birmingham City fans shirts. Then when I was 23, there was another conversation between my agent and me; S.C Braga, an ambitious and widely-supported club in Portugal, had made a formal approach for my services and my cash-strapped club had accepted a bid of around £2m.*

dsc_0059_464x320.jpg

When my niggling injuries that I suffered with in my youth returned, they started to drive me out of love with the sport, it was a telephone conversation with my mother that brought me back, playing for Birmingham once again, overcoming the injuries, falling in love with the game again, becoming a player worthy of fan’s appreciation once again, and giving me the strength to attempt to crack football abroad once more.

It was a telephone call, between me and my agent, to inform me that my father had died of a heart attack when I was just 28 and now plying my trade for A.C Milan in Italy that saw me become an expensive flop transfer. In the next transfer window my agent called; saying A.C Milan have accepted a £17m bid from FC Barcelona as they attempted to resurrect my career, they were a club that I fell in love with, but didn’t fit my style of play. When I left after two seasons,to finish my career in Brazil, people accused me of coasting- they saw images of me shopping and loving life in Barcelona, talking to the youth players constantly; they thought I was already thinking about coaching. I didn’t think I was, I never thought I was a manager in the making, but when I was playing my final seasons in Brazil, as veteran holding midfielder playing for Flamego, I realised that I was more interested in giving young players opportunities.*

Soon I was head of youth development at Flamego, then I became a roaming football consultant; I was really interested in day-to-day management of senior squads but didn't get given a chance, so it was all about the youth team. Eventually I was the head of youth development at Birmingham City, although I spent time as a consultant for both Bayern Munich and proved more useful to FC Barcelona when I was providing them with English youngsters to test out.*

But as I say, telephone conversations have been a way of narrating through my career thus far, and it was perhaps the most interesting conversation of my life when the chairman of India’s most successful football club East Bengal FC contacted me with a very unique football opportunity.

Kf_east_bengal_logo.png

“Mr Clarke, we would be extremely interested in your services in a very flexible capacity.”

“What do you mean?”

“We have recently been bought out by a multi-national fashion company, namely Armani and we have been given a lot of money to invest in our club’s infrastructure. We want to put Indian football on the map. We would be very interested in your services not only as a direct football consultant for the football club in terms of our youth development, but also as the manager of the senior squad.”

“I don’t manage senior teams; I’m 54 years old, I have never been given a managerial position before…”

“We have followed your career, and we know that you are what we need, the missing piece of our puzzle. We love football but Indian sporting culture is naïve to the sport in terms of club infrastructure and producing players of real international quality, and we would love to have someone in complete control who will be wise and sincere with the funds the club provides.”

“Well, I can’t say I’m not flattered…”

“We are also willing to offer you a contract of £4,500,000 a year, with personal bonuses dependingon how well East Bengal FC does in domestic competitions.”

“That is an exceptionally generous offer; will you give me time to consider?”

“I’m afraid time is of the essence, we will need a response within 48 hours.”

“Then I don’t need 48 hours. I’m your man.”

Adapted from .Jay’s story

Re: |Kingfisher East Bengal Club|My Football Manager 2011 Story|

A short taxicab trip, a few conferences and the signing of some legal paperwork after arriving in India, I was sitting in my temporary office pondering my first moves.

Modern_Office.jpg

The willing players were the Indian players; respectful and hardworking players that would run around and give you everything every training session, with a passion for the sport and excited about the club’s future, whereas it was unsurprisingly the foreigners that were lazy, feeling sorry for themselves, strutting around with arrogance, knowing that they had been taught more about the game than their compatriots. It really is a tough position for a manager to be in when your worst players are the ones that listen, and you can’t afford to drop your key players because of their importance.*

3120111.jpg

My first signing in the transfer market, Subrata Paul, my new goalkeeper, who signed for £100,000 from Indian title rivals Pune FC. Paul is India’s first choice goalkeeper, and he’s only 23 years old, and what makes this story really satisfying for the fans is that Subrata Paul came through the East Bengal youth team before being sold to Pune FC for financial reasons. The face of Indian football changed overnight with one transfer, and it will be the first of many.

Based on .Jay's post

Re: |My Football Manager 2011 Story|

Well as I say phone calls have been the way to do things in football throughout my career and it was today my agent called me and gave me some of the worse news I have heard since I retired.

telephone.gif

“Good Afternoon Mr Clarke.”

“Afternoon.”

“I have some terrible news for you, unfortunately due to unforeseen circumstances the Armani group has been liquidised thus send Kingfisher East Bengal into administration regrettably this means you have had to be removed from your post as manager before the Indian season has even started. The players of East Bengal wish you all the best and hope you become a successful manager.”

“I don't believe it, they were such a promising club.”

“I know, would you like to remain in management? Rumour is a few European teams are in need of a manager.”

“I will return to management, but only in Europe”

“Okay ill set about getting you a job.”

“Thank You, Bye.”

And that was that just a few days after i took over the club I was removed as manager without leading the team out once. I was devastated. I had grew so close to the players, hopefully i have an even better experience at my next club.

I decided to sack my agent as I knew he wasn't very connected in European football, infact I only hired him to help me in India.

So I set about looking for a club myself. When two days later the phone rang, it was Nicola Cortese, the Southampton chairman.

Saints_logo_2010.PNG

“Mr Clarke, we have been made aware that you are currently unemployed, would you be interested in becoming manager of Southampton FC?”

“The English league 1 is abit of step up from the Indian league are you sure i could cut it?”

“We have followed your career, and we know that you have what's needed. We would love to have someone in complete control who will be wise and sincere with the funds the club provides and be able to get us into the premier league in 5 seasons”

“Well, I can’t say I’m not flattered…”

“We are also willing to offer you a contract of £2,500,000 a year, with personal bonuses.”

“I’m your man.”

So I've been at Southampton for a few weeks now. The players are giving me a good impression, showing me what they can do in training and on the pitch.

teko-modise.gif

I have strengthened the team by bringing in Kali, Brandy, Yao, Carroll and Moutaouakil all on frees, most of whom will be in the first team and I've also brought in promising striker John Guidetti on loan and Teko Modise aa well as Marcel Seip for a combined £500k.

RoyCarroll_2348485.jpg

The board have given me their backing 110% witch I am extremely grateful of.

The team have done well in the pre-season with the results as follows:

Southampton 2-1 Southampton Reserves

Southampton 2-1 Leicester City

Southampton 2-1 Kilmarnock

Southampton 5-0 Shrewsbury Town

Southampton 4-0 Farnborough

Pre season has now finished and we ended with 2 wins;

Southampton 4-1 Morton

Southampton 2-0 Kingfisher East Bengal

These results mean I have won every match I have managed in my career so far, the lads have been great and we have some real gems in our squad such as Lallana, Chamberlain and Yao.

25462.gif

The last match of pre season, away to East Bengal, was a very emotional moment for me as I returned to the club that set my managerial career off without me managing them in a single match. The 120,000 seater stadium was virtually empty and the morale was low after the Armani saga. Mangerless East Bengal put in a good performance and after the match each of the players came up to me one by one congratulating me of my new job. I hope it all works out for them. They deserve it more than any team in the world.

?type=display

I have also made 2 loan signings; Grant Hanley who will act as back up for the defence and Keanu Marsh-Brown who I needed desperately for the start of the season as all 3 or my right-backs are injured.