Official UEFA Euro U21 Championships 2011 Thread

ViF

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Official UEFA Euro U21 Championships 2011 Thread

Yeah but that is not what you should use to judge how good a team is. I judge them on their players not the population of the country.

Italy' date=' France, Portugal and Germany didn't get through to the finals and Wales actually had a relatively good qualifing campaign beating Italy on the way. England had a pretty simple group, but you would expect [i']£20 million[/i] players like Sturridge and Henderson to actually make an impact during the competition, especially Henderson who looked like an average Championship player B)

Italy' date=' France, Portugal and Germany[/b'] didn't get through to the finals and Wales actually had a relatively good qualifing campaign beating Italy on the way. England had a pretty simple group, but you would expect £20 million players like Sturridge and Henderson to actually make an impact during the competition, especially Henderson who looked like an average Championship player B)

They arent worth that sum, everyone knows that, its because they're english that the market is inflated. Their valuations dont reflect their quality imo.

We did better than some large nations, so its not a disgrace. We had a poor tournament, no getting away from it. Not the end of the world though. If we weren't going for the win we would have drew 3 games. Disappointing but not embarrassing.

They arent worth that sum' date=' everyone knows that, its because they're english that the market is inflated. Their valuations dont reflect their quality imo.

We did better than some large nations, so its not a disgrace. We had a poor tournament, no getting away from it. Not the end of the world though. If we weren't going for the win we would have drew 3 games. Disappointing but not embarrassing.[/quote']

Yes, i know that they aren't worth that some - not being able to perform against the likes of Ukraine and Czech U21's show us that. But when somebody pays that sort of price for them, they need to perform.

Yes it's not the end of the world, but don't bother bringing Wales into it. It is only an 8 team tournament, and that's including the hosts. Can't see anyone stopping Spain mind B)

Yes' date=' i know that they aren't worth that some - not being able to perform against the likes of Ukraine and Czech U21's show us that. But when somebody pays that sort of price for them, they need to perform.

Yes it's not the end of the world,[b'] but don't bother bringing Wales into it. It is only an 8 team tournament, and that's including the hosts[/b]. Can't see anyone stopping Spain mind B)

That means that england done even better to qualify then doesnt it? And its not there fault people paid ludicrous amounts of money for them.

Yes' date=' i know that they aren't worth that some - [b']not being able to perform against the likes of Ukraine and Czech U21's show us that[/b]. But when somebody pays that sort of price for them, they need to perform.

Yes it's not the end of the world, but don't bother bringing Wales into it. It is only an 8 team tournament, and that's including the hosts. Can't see anyone stopping Spain mind B)

Two games in an U21 tournement doesn't define if they're worth what the club paid.

That means that england done even better to qualify then doesnt it? And its not there fault people paid ludicrous amounts of money for them.

No it's not the players fault themselves' date=' but it does show that you have to be silly to pay those sorts of prices for the likes of Henderson, when the likes of Yohann Cabaye are far better players. Henderson went for £20 million in total, Cabaye went for £4.6 million.

Regardless of the hype about the players though, they could still have performed in the tourement.

Two games in an U21 tournement doesn't define if they're worth what the club paid.

In Henderson's case, i've seen him playone or two games for both Sunderland and the England U21's over the season. He's the sort of player who needs to score to play well, doesn't get involved at all. Sturridge's tournament as a whole, yes it was only three games, but it was still a tournament was a let down.

I can't believe how worked out some people are getting over a meaningless tournament that no-one really cares about anyway, apart from maybe Spain. All of the actual talent are already playing for the first-team or were forced to pull out by their managers. It's clear that none of England's, or Germany's, or France's, or Italy's, or Holland's, etc.. youngsters really care about this tournament.

What should be more worrying is Pearce's lack of any actual management and his strange team selections (Mancienne central midfield..?). And from Liverpool's point of view, Henderson's performances.

Oh and surprise surprise, Aidan in another thread talking about England after a poor performance.

Seriously, do all Welsh people get off on England failing in any sport at any opportunity?

I'm not sure what they think, are they all just deluded enough to believe that ALL English people believe England are amazing at everything because of the national papers? That seems to be their reasoning at least... Any Welshman whom this does apply to, please grow up and get a sense of reality.

England/Englishmen aren't the best in the world in any sport. Therefore, naturally, England/English sportsmen are going to lose/fail at some point in their respective sport. Get over it.

Think the problem was not necessarily the players- The coaching staff seemed a bit naive.

Pearce Comments:taken from BBC website

"It was probably the best performance of the tournament. But perhaps us going home now was symptomatic of us not passing the ball well enough in the first two games.

"This is a culmination of a two-year period, not just a one-off. The players put their hearts and souls into it. And for one or two it's the end of the line at Under-21 level."

two years to learn to pass the ball ..really.

Think the problem was not necessarily the players- The coaching staff seemed a bit naive.

Pearce Comments:taken from BBC website

"It was probably the best performance of the tournament. But perhaps us going home now was symptomatic of us not passing the ball well enough in the first two games.

"This is a culmination of a two-year period' date=' not just a one-off. The players put their hearts and souls into it. And for one or two it's the end of the line at Under-21 level."

two years to learn to pass the ball ..really.[/quote']

Frankie Fielding, Fabrice Muamba and Michael Mancienne are now ineligible for the U21s. Big losses? Not really. Best place to stand if facing a Muamba shot is in the goal, not just to the right as Jason Steele was.

QPQJiQCDz_4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Don't see why some people are saying about the future just because of a few games in a tournament that doesn't mean much.

For a start, winning this tournament isn't the main thing, it's about giving these players experience of playing in them. Going out early isn't such a bad thing, sure it's not ideal, but they'll remember this if they go on to play for the senior team and they certainly won't want to repeat it.

It's also what happens when the groups are so poorly done that probably the 4 best teams in the tournament are all in the same one..

Pearce is a poor manager as well, he's far too defensive although to be fair to him that is the strongest part of the squad. If you want someone who cares about England and isn't afraid to show it, he's the man for the job. But if you want someone that actually knows something about tactics, he shouldn't be anywhere near it.

It's not like most of these will ever play regularly for England either. The likes of Hart, Rooney, Wilshere, Adam Johnson etc aren't exactly old.

Jones and Smalling have shown they are a decent partnership already with just a few games, playing together for Manchester United is only going to improve that and is good news for England. Walker is thankfully proving that there is someone who can make sure Glen Johnson is as far away from the team as possible. Plenty more good young players coming through.. the future isn't that bad.

Pearce is a poor manager as well' date=' he's far too defensive although to be fair to him that is the strongest part of the squad. If you want someone who cares about England and isn't afraid to show it, he's the man for the job. But if you want someone that actually knows something about tactics, he shouldn't be anywhere near it. [/quote']

Hit the nail on the head, not once did the 11 out there look like a team and his baffling selections of Mancienne and Rose with the former playing in midfield for some reason:confused:

Despite the exit I thought there were plenty of positives on the whole. The entire back 4 of Walker, Smalling, Jones and Bertrand looked very good I'd be surprised and shocked if Walker isn't part of the Euro 2012 squad. Up top despite scarce service Welbeck and Sturridge looked good. Sturridge really impressed me and right now I'd have him as the 3rd best English striker behind Rooney and Bent so he's another one who could make the cut for 2012.

The midfield what was disappointed me. Not saying this because I am a United fan but Henderson was atrociously bad, by far and away the worst player on show. Obviously a better player than he showed but he's going to have to really up his game if he's going to make any impact for them. Lansbury impressed although he didn't play much while Cleverly looked lost.

Don't see any England future for the likes of Muamba, Rose, Sinclairetc.

So england youth following the the footsteps of the NT looks pretty bad for the next 20 years

You can't say things like that after 3 games, especially since we reached the final in 2009.

I actually think we have a good young team, lots of decent players coming through. Our defence was pretty good, Jones and Smalling looked very secure, our strikers did okay, i was impressed by Sturridge. What we lacked was some creativity in midfield and that's where Wilshire comes in. He's everything England have been missing.

It's a shame Wilshire and Caroll weren't avalible to go to the tournamant. If Caroll had been fit and Wilshire had gone i recken we could've got to the final. Saying that the team we had was good and we were only 2 minutes away from reaching the semis. Had we got there i doubt so many people would be coming out with with stuff like what dean said above.

Jeffren's goal wasn't that great. I've only seen it as many times as they showed it on the tele, but the keeper was clearly out of position.

Bit disappointed that Xhaka is suspended.

Thinking of putting money on the Swiss to beat Denmark' date=' who does everyone think will win?[/quote']

You'd be wasting your money, Denmark have gone home. :P

Jeffren's goal wasn't that great. I've only seen it as many times as they showed it on the tele' date=' but the keeper was clearly out of position.

You'd be wasting your money, Denmark have gone home. :P[/quote']

Lol I meant Czech Republic. :P

Jeffren's goal wasn't that great. I've only seen it as many times as they showed it on the tele' date=' but the keeper was clearly out of position.

You'd be wasting your money,[b'] Denmark have gone home.[/b] :P

Not too far to home, it's in Denmark.