World Championship 11019 M/R Thread

JT26!

Re: World Championship 11019 M/R Thread

200px-Hamburger_SV_logosvg.png

Hamburger SV 0-2 Manchester City

city-toure.jpg

(Yayá Toure (left) celebrates his second goal of the night with Adam Johnson (right))

Josh Hammond experienced his first loss as Hamburger manager against Manchester City in the SMFA Cup this evening. He saw his team get beat 2-0 by the English team but to be fair they were always the underdogs. Hammond made two changes to his squad from the team that beat Chivas 2-1, new signings Palombo and Cannavaro made their first start for the club, they played an unchanged City.

Match Report

As both teams stepped onto the pitch, Manchester City seemed to be most confident with Hamburger looking remotely intimidated. The referee Mark Halsey got us under way at 20:00 and immediately City were on the attack. In the 2nd minute Adam Johnson found himself in on goal but saw his shot spectacularly saved by Jaroslav Drobny. Hamburger, who looked to be playing a more aggressive game of football, picked up their first yellow of the match early on with newcomer Palombo being accused of diving in the box despite clearly being touched by Chiellini. The sky blues were straight back on the attack though, this time Tevez forcing a save from HSV’s goalkeeper. As like last week, Hammond’s team didn’t wake up until the 30th minute. The young Dutch winger Eljero Elia had a curling shot from outside the box go agonisingly wide as he attempted to put his team ahead. As the first-half drew to a close it looked like Hamburger needed to be disciplined with Guerrero picking up their second yellow of the match for failing to move back ten yards from a free-kick. It was from that free-kick that Manchester City would get their first goal of the match. Adam Johnson provided a perfect cross at which the goalkeeper flapped. The ball then fell to Yayá Toure who struck the ball with venom into the back of the net. The home team were disappointed but the goal was always coming. The first-half finished 1-0, and City had a well-deserved lead.

The second-half started very much like the first-half with Manchester City on the attack. David Silva tried a beautiful overhead kick and nearly scored. Hamburger were trying to control the game with some possession football but in the end had to resort to long-shots as they just couldn’t break down City’s three man defence. In the 64th minute Cannavaro nearly scored his first goal for the German side but he saw his ambitious thirty yard shot clip the crossbar. Marcell Jansen expressed his frustration by taking out Edin Dzeko in the 71st minute. That tackle put his name in the referee’s book. Manchester City increased their lead in the 72nd minute when Yayá Toure headed the ball in the net from a glorious cross courtesy of Gareth Barry. Just minutes later Jaroslav Drobny saved Hamburger from further embarrassment when he saved a ferocious shot from Tevez who broke free from the sleeping defenders. Elia had a chance to pull his side back into the game but he panicked in front of goal and hit the ball straight at the goalkeeper. In the 80th minute Barry picked up a needless booking for using abuse language towards another player. The game died off as City looked to protect their lead against an attacking Hamburger side. This saw the match end Hamburger SV 0-2 Manchester City.

Match Statistics

HamburgerManchesterCity.png

HamburgerManchesterCityMatchStats.png

Post-Match Interview

After a loss in Hamburger’s first SMFA Cup match this season, SKY Sports asked how Josh Hammond was feeling:

Josh Hammond says:

I can’t say I’m disappointed because I’m not. We played a very good Manchester City side today and I said to the team before the match that I don’t mind what the score-line is as long as you go out there and give it your all, and I believe they did that. I feel we definitely gave Manchester City a run for their money, which is a lot may I say, and on a better day, I think we could have won this game. My only criticism is exactly what I said last week, we are taking too long to wake up and get our rhythm going, this needs to change, especially if we are looking to gain promotion. We have a very tricky Fiorentina next in the league and I’ve already said that in order to do well this season we need to beat them. I can’t wait for the match tomorrow it will be really interesting and I want to wish Stuart Payne the best of luck for tomorrow and for the rest of the season.

Hamburger SV take on Fiorentina next which are a team that Josh Hammond praised by saying that they were one of the best teams in Division 4. Hammond will want to prove that his team are better by beating them tomorrow night in Italy as HSV prepare for their first away game this season.

PSG Adds depth to their squad !

In the end, i decided that It'd probably be a good idea to go out and get some depth .. thus I've bought a few players :P

1. Emir Spahic - 30 Years old, 88 rated CB from Bosnia.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTQRyw50XwKyyjhs5394aMpfgvT_pMHy2Gs1sVe_YY97rTGRTizhw

2. Dario Verón - 31 Years old, 88 rated CB/RB from Paraguay.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQetBWV70jyFT5q0S9Z_CmBIyzbxMN3NGWUji82z5I7dIcXQsWBRQ

3. Didier Zokora - 30 Years old, 88 rated DM/CB from Ivory Coast.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSyEjPbJxZxx3CbYHIWsj38EYSqp-9_HtKOKn6hh3ed1rxTVbRK

4. Innocent Emeghara - 22 Years old, 80 rated FWD/Wing from Switzerland.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSJzMh1BXAe1H5bziSkDGJ7gE2pAkacMXilFlaXKa0j27cDdfM2

5. Dirnei Renato - 32 Years old, 89 rated CM/AM from Brazil.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTjKx07w1w0OdAlB2PNmDduVV6u4a3OX-X0Z9IpYGt2nw2G9lnjLQ

I've also bought a bunch of young talents !

I've got another 2 signings coming in, and after that my team is more or less complete !

Fiorentina 0-2 Hamburger SV

110.jpg

(The Hamburger SV fans that travelled to Italy for their away match against Fiorentina)

Josh Hammond’s Hamburger defeated the team he tipped as “the best in division 4” this evening with a fantastic 2-0 win. Hammond said last week that in order to achieve their goals, HSV would have to beat Fiorentina, and that they did. Stuart Payne made three changes to his side that managed to scrape a 1-1 draw against Arsenal yesterday; they met an unchanged German side. Both teams were looking to stamp their authority on the league, which made for a very interesting match.

Match Report

Both teams were beaming with confidence as they got ready for the first-half. Fiorentina and Hamburger, both evenly matched teams, struggled to get going as neither team wanted to make the first move and risk making a mistake. It was a dull start to the match and the fans had to wait until the 29th minute to see the first shot. Vargas tried a cheeky shot from outside the box but it never troubled Drobny. The match then started to get going. Just three minutes later Hamburger’s Marcell Jansen found himself through on goal before he noticed that the linesman had his flag up. Stuart Payne’s side got the first corner of the match and his team very nearly scored from it. Felipe stuck an in-swinging cross in from the corner and Pasqual connected well but saw his shot saved with ease. Drobny quickly despatched the ball to Palombo who then went on and took the ball round two defenders before finishing emphatically. It was a magical solo effort and his first goal for the club since joining on Saturday. Fiorentina’s defence seemed to look shaky after that goal and they seemed to be relieved when the half-time whistle went. Josh Hammond couldn’t hide his happiness and entered the tunnel with a huge smile on his face.

Straight after the referee Richard Liesveld began the second half, Pablo Cannavaro saw himself in the book after he was heard shouting abusive language towards the opposition. As was expected, Fiorentina were straight on the attack. Dias Felipe stormed into the box and looked to have been brought down by Guy Demel but the referee waved play on. And again, two minutes later Vargas was on the attack but he ended his spectacular run with a poor shot which he dragged wide. However Hamburger responded. Angelo Palombo tried to grab his second goal of the match but he saw his thirty yard shot tipped over the bar by Frey. Then, in the 62nd minute, Hamburger got the second goal that they were searching for. Heiko Westermann, who had come up for the corner, received the ball from Elia and found himself in acres of space. The goalkeeper rushed off his line and Heiko finished like a forward with a glorious lob. His manager was delighted. He knew how important that goal was. Fiorentina started to get frustrated and that showed when Alessandro Gamberini received a yellow for an unneccasry push on Petrić. Hamburger matched their stupidity when David Jarolím was booked for violent conduct. Stuart Payne demanded that his team pushed forward, and that they did, but it was too little too late. In the 86th minute Drobny was at full stretch to prevent Ljajic from scoring a late goal. The referee called the match to an end shortly after and the whole Hamburger squad and fans screamed with joy. That was an important win.

Full-time score: Fiorentina 0-2 Hamburger SV

Match Statistics

FiorentinaVHamburger.png

FiorentinaVHamburgerMatchStats.png

Post-Match Interview

SKY Sports caught up with a very happy Hamburger SV manager who had this to say concerning this evening’s match and the Elia gossip:

Josh Hammond says:

As you can tell I am extremely happy with the result tonight. We were great and in my opinion, we deserved the win. We knew how important this match was and how it may affect our season, so we came here and we did what we had to do. I am very pleased with the team’s performance and I hope we can keep this consistency up.

As for the Elia rumours they are true. There have been numerous offers for the young Dutch winger but at the moment none have caught my eye. As far as I know he wants to stay at the club and it will have to take a very good offer for him to leave. But for now, he is staying with Hamburger.

We also asked Elia about what he thought of these rumours:

Eljero Elia says:

Apparently there have been a lot of offers for me and I am delighted that other clubs rate me this high but I have no intention of leaving Hamburger. I love this club and I admire what Josh Hammond is trying to do. We have had an amazing start to the season, the best possible actually, and I am enjoying being part of it. I am a first team regular here and I wouldn’t want to move to a club where I won’t get played. So for now I would like to stay at Hamburger SV, but it’s not up to me it's up to the boss.

With Hamburger getting off to a flying start they look to keep up this great form as they take on Rangers on Saturday. Josh Hammond’s side picked up no injuries or suspensions in tonight’s match which means we are expecting him to field the same team as tonight. It promises to be a spectacle with 1st place taking on 13th place in which Rangers have only picked up one point out of a possible six.

wolfsburg_ale.gif

VfL Wolfsburg 2 x 2 Flamengo

Wolfsburg-fans-001.jpg

Wolfsburg fans went to Brazil to see their team get a good draw

The match

The match was in Maracanã, with an attendance of 29,875. The game started with Ronaldinho opening the marker at 20 minutes, with a great volley. 4 minutes after, the brazillian-portuguese striker, Liedson, made the score 1x1. But Flamengo didn't bother and at 30 minutes they did 2x1, with another goal of Ronaldinho Gaúcho. The first half ended like this.

After the first half, the Wolfsburg manager, Nick Big told their team that a loss wasn't a good result to their team, and he wanted a draw or a win. The second half wasn't brilliant, and Nick Big was getting disapointed with the result. He was like this untill the minute 78, when the CM Jan Polak "hits a powerful right foot shot into the onion bag". He drawed the game and left Wolfsburg in 7 place without losing in this season.

Man of the match

ronaldinho_treino_fla_sergio_moraes_reuters_27012011_292.jpg

With two goals, it couldn't be a different player.

Satistics

Flamengo x Wolfsburg:

Possession - 37% x 63%

Total shots - 11 x 7

Shots on target - 3 x 6

Corners - 3 x 7

Cards - 0 x 0

After game interview with Nick Big

Nick Big, what do you think about this result?

Nick Big:

It was a great result, because drawing out of Germany is always a great result. I think it could be better because we had 63% of the ball possession, but it is okay. Now we are in 7 place with 5 points, but it is important to remember that we didn't lose yet.

What do you think about the next 2 games?

I think both games will be very difficult. Against Athletic Club, on Tuesday for the SMFA Shield, will be very hard; they have an excelent team with young players. We won our first game and they drawed, but it will be a hard game.

Against Boca you could say it will be easy because they are in last on the Division 4 with only 1 point, but it won't be easy, because they have to win. I am looking for a win at Germany, and i could go with 2 forwards to get this win.

Rangers 2-0 Hamburger SV

nikica-jelavic-007.jpg

(Jelavic scores the goal that secured Rangers win over Hamburger)

Josh Hammond and Hamburger SV lost their first league game this evening with a disappointing 2-0 loss against Scottish team Rangers. Hammond stuck to what he knew and fielded the same team that beat Fiorentina mid-week whilst Zach Bryson made two changes, Broadfoot and McCulloch replaced the injured Bougherra and Davis.

Match Report

Rangers were the underdogs before the game only collecting one point from a possible six, whereas their opponents boasted two wins out of two. Rangers surprisingly started on the attack in this slow and boring match. Jelavic hit a powerful shot towards goal, but Hamburger’s super goalie Jaroslav Drobny wasn’t going to let that one past him. It took twenty-five more minutes to get the next piece of action, and what fantastic platy it was. The man of the first-half, James Beattie, played some lovely one touch football with his team mates before making a fantastic run into the box and receiving a beautiful ball from Naismith, Beattie finishing emphatically. Rangers were ahead, and deserved to be. Hamburger SV had to respond. Petrić tried a low shot but it didn’t trouble Allan McGregor. Paolo Cannavaro then played a great lobbed through ball to Guerrero who completely fluffed the opportunity. Again in the 41st minute HSV were pushing for the equaliser. This time David Jarolím tried a wonderful long range shot which crashed against the crossbar. The referee ended the first-half and a frustrated Hamburger team entered the tunnel. Josh Hammond looked furious.

Brage Sandmoen started the second-half and straight away the German team were on the attack. Paolo Guerrero missed an easy free-header from a great cross courtesy of Petrić. The first yellow card was dished out in the 52nd minute when James Beattie attempted a hard tackle on Westermann. Mladen Petrić had another chance to equalise, but he saw his superb effort saved by the Scottish goalkeeper. As Hamburger became increasingly frustrated they started to make mistakes and rough challenges. Marcell Jansen picked up his first booking of the season for a foolish foul on the edge of his own area. One minute later Jansen nearly made a mends for his booking when he found himself through on goal but he buckled under pressure and hit the outside of the post. Just six minutes later Rangers made them pay for missing all those opportunities. Whittaker played a long ball over the top of the Hamburger defence and found Nikica Jelavic who volleyed it into the back of the net passed the motionless Drobny. Hammond looked disgusted. Rangers looked elated. Jelavic could have further embarrassed the German side but instead he embarrassed himself when his shot flew over the bar from six yards out. That was the final action of the second-half. An angry Hamburger manager stormed off the pitch after shaking Rangers boss Zach Bryson’s hand.

Full-time score: Rangers 2-0 Hamburger SV

Match Statistics

RangersVHamburger.png

RangersVHamburgerMatchStats2.png

Post-Match Interview

SKY Sports spoke to Hamburger SV manager Josh Hammond about; his first loss in the league and the possible signing of Jesús Gámez:

Josh Hammond says:

I am very angry and disappointed in the way the team performed today. Yes we had lots of chances but what are they if you can’t take them. In my opinion we played a weak Rangers side in comparison to ours and I believe that we should have won that game with ease.

As for the possible signing of Jesús Gámez, we have agreed a fee with Malaga C.F. and he is now on his way to Hamburg to do his medical. Hopefully that should be finished within the next three hours, we are confident he will pass his medical without any problems.

We were unable to get hold of Jesús Gámez as he is travelling to Hamburg for his medical; however as soon he has signed for HSV we will be there to interview him.

Josh Hammond’s Hamburger side look to get their first win in the SMFA Cup on Tuesday evening as they take on Adam Gould’s Everton side. The two sides will meet for the first time. Everton have won two games out of five since Gould joined the English team and he will be looking for a historic win against a strong German opposition.

SKY Sports would like to apologise for the late posting of this article, we have been experiencing website difficulties. We normally post our articles between 9pm that day and 12pm the following day. We hope this does not happen again.

Jesús Gámez Agrees Deal to Join Hamburger SV

41446.jpg

(Jesús Gámez answering questions for us)

Hamburger SV are pleased to announce that defender Jesús Gámez has joined HSV. Jesús Gámez, twenty-six, arrived at Hamburger from Spanish side Malaga C.F, who he helped achieve promotion in the 2007-2008 season. The campaign capped a very successful year for him, during which time he appeared thirty times for Los Boquerones. Before making the Malaga first team, Jesús Gámez enjoyed two seasons with the Malaga B team making sixty appearances and proving himself worthy of a first team opportunity.

SKY Sports caught up with Josh Hammond to find out his opinions on his new full-back:

Josh Hammond says:

Well coming off the back of that disappointing defeat to Rangers I felt that our defence needed strengthening, especially the right-back area, so I opted for Jesús Gámez. He is a very consistent defender that doesn’t really attack; he stays and helps out at the back. This is what we want with him, we have enough attacking players so we just want him to stay back and defend. He is a very interesting player and he is still only twenty-six, so he has a long career ahead of him, it will be interesting to see how he develops. Everyone here at Hamburger SV would like to welcome Jesús Gámez and wish him the best of luck.

A very excited Jesús Gámez had this to say:

Jesús Gámez says:

I am extremely happy with this move; I feel it will help my career a lot. I was stuck playing for a standard Spanish team where I didn’t believe I could improve anymore, but now I have joined a very good German team and I am looking forward to learning new things, especially the language. Hamburger have had a good start to the season with two wins out of three and I want to help the team achieve promotion, but the only way I can do that is by helping my team keep as many clean sheets as possible and that is what I am going to do.

Factfile: Jesús Gámez

FULL NAME: Jesús Gámez Duarte

NATIONALITY: Spanish

BORN: 10th April 1985. Fuengirola, Spain.

HEIGHT: 179cm (5ft 10in)

PREVIOUS CLUBS:

Malaga B (Spain) 2002-2005 (60 appearances/1 goal)

Malaga (Spain) 2005-2011 (185 appearances/1 goal)

TRANSFER DETAILS: Short term contract for a part-exchange (£2,000,000 + Demel + Arslan)

POSITION: Defender

Everton 1-2 Hamburger SV

topTeaser_crop_Von-der-Bank-ins-Tor-Jaroslav-Drobny-darf-sich-nach-einem-unbefriedigenden-Deb-t-Jahr-zwischen-den-HSV-Pfosten-beweisen.jpg

(Jaroslav Drobny carm and collected today against Everton)

Josh Hammond’s Hamburger got their first points on the table in the SMFA Cup this evening with a 2-1 victory over English club Everton. In their first match against Manchester City, HSV never really got going and in the end were punished for it. Josh Hammond swore that his team would improve for the next game and that they did. Hammond made one change to the side that lost to Rangers in the league on Saturday; new signing Jesús Gámez made his debut for the club in this very important game, he replaced Guy Demel who was transferred to Málaga C.F. yesterday. Adam Gould’s Everton, however, made seven; Bocaly, Yobo, Jagielka, Coleman, Tabanou, Beckford and Anichebe all replaced; Neville, Distin, Heitinga, Osman, Arteta, Cahill and Hleb.

Match Report

Josh Hammond’s team looked determined as ever as the two sides exchanged hand-shakes before the first-half. The teams kicked off. It took ten minutes before the first real opportunity occurred. Marouane Fellaini found himself one on one with the goalkeeper but the linesman put his flag up for offside. It was a close call but he got it right. Despite Everton’s visually weaker side, they pushed on for the goal. In the 11th minute Beckford forced Drobny to make a spectacular save. The home fans couldn’t believe it; they thought it was going in. However, six minutes later Hamburger turned the tables, they started to attack. Petrić forced Tim Howard to make a very good save much to the Croatian’s despair. HSV consistently pushed forward and in the end their effort was rewarded. Paolo Guerrero picked up his first goal in all competitions by thumping the ball into the back of the net from twenty yards. It was a fantastic goal and the travelling fans knew that, they celebrated wildly. Everton looked to respond as they pushed forward with Kevin Davies who hit a powerful shot that was just saved. Then again four minutes later, this time Anichebe, who embarrassingly missed a header from six yards out. Hamburger made them pay for their missed opportunities. In the 34th minute Petrić beat the offside trap and coolly slid the ball under the defenceless keeper. Everton were truly shook by Hamburger’s superiority and started making stupid tackles. Baines was booked for a foolish challenge on the edge of his own area which could of cost his team a goal. That was the last action of the first-half. Josh Hammond seemed delighted whereas Adam Gould looked frustrated.

As referee Lee Probert started the second-half, Everton were straight on the attack. Jaroslav Drobny was forced to make another save when Coleman hit a shot from just outside the box, it was a poor effort really but at least they were making chances. In the 53rd minute, Paolo Guerrero did the impossible. He found himself in front of an open goal, and with no pressure he scooped the ball over the bar. Unbelievable. Hamburger still pushed on, looking for the goal that would have put the game to bed, they nearly got it as well but Marcell Jansen put his shot wide of the post. In spite of this pressure, Everton managed to somehow score a much needed goal, completely against the run of play. Tabanou scored a wonderful header past the flapping Drobny who had been fabulous all day. All of a sudden there was hope in the eyes of the English team, they truly believed that they could claw their way back into this match. HSV urgently needed to get a goal to secure their lead, and they were willing to do anything. Guerrero ran into the box and tumbled to the ground despite no one touching him. The referee Lee Probert spotted this and was having none of it. He instantly reached for his pocket and booked the forward. In the 79th minute Elia nearly finished the game when he received the ball in acres of space inside the area but he wasn’t able to capitalise. The match ended there. The score-line suggested a close game but in all fairness it wasn’t. Everton were lucky to only lose by one goal but on the other hand, Josh Hammond must be annoyed by the lack of chances taken in this match.

Full-time score: Everton 1-2 Hamburger SV

Match Statistics

EvertonVHamburgerSV.png

EvertonVHamburgerSVMatchStats.png

Post-Match Interview

Josh Hammond, full of mixed emotions, had this to say after the game:

Josh Hammond says:

I am extremely happy with the result but if you look closely at the game you will find that there is a lot to improve on. Firstly we created lots and lots of chances yet we were only able to score two goals. We didn’t take our chances and we were lucky today that Everton didn’t punish us. Secondly I am disgusted at the way Paolo Guerrero dived in that match. I hate diving and to see one of my own players behaving like that on the pitch makes me feel angry. If he carries on like that I will have to consider letting him go. I have had a stern word with him and he has apologised for his actions and had promised that it will never happen again. I hope it doesn’t.

A bit of a positive note now. I think Drobny has played really well since the start of the season and he really deserved his Man of the Match award today. I said at the start of the season that I may bring in a new goalkeeper and he took that in and proved that he deserves to be in the Hamburger starting eleven. A very well done to him.

Hamburger play their fourth league game tomorrow as they take on second place Palmeiras. Josh Hammond’s team will look to bounce back from their 2-0 defeat to Rangers and pull off what looks to be, on paper, a simple game for the German team, but looks can be deceiving. Mark Majury has already proved what a fantastic manager he is by defeating the likes of Ajax, Espanyol and Rennes. Be prepared for another interesting match.

wolfsburg_ale.gif

Athletic Club 1 x 2 VfL Wolfsburg

9e75704fcaab8009e16552bfb407-medium.jpg

Diego celebrating his goal

The match

The match was at San Mamés, that had an attendance of 32,508 poeple from 40,000 possible. The first 22 minutes of the game were very nice: 4 yellow cards and 2 goals. At 15 minutes, Piatti did a goal from a cornerkick play, with an assist from the brazillian-german Kevin Kuranyi. Wolfsburg wont let the spanish team win this game, and Diego showed this when he scored a wonderfull goal at 22 minutes, with an assist from Polak. Untill the final of the first half, Athletic tryed to get the game lead, but they didn't manage.

The second half started the same way that the first one did: yellow card and goal; but differently from the first half, there was only one card and one goal. Piatti took his yellow card at 61 minutes, and, one minute later Liedson did this: "hits a powerful right foot shot into the onion bag! He'll be proud of that one!", with an assist from Diego. The game continued the same way that on the first: Athletic Club tryed to do another goal, but they didn't manage and stayed with only 1 point in the SMFA Shield group C, while Wolfsburg is the leader with 6 ponts and continues without losing in this season.

Man of the match

liedson_nacional.jpg

Liedson was chosen the man of the match, but Wolfsburg manager sayd that Diego played better.

Post game interview:

What did you think about the team behaviour in the game?

Nick Big:

I tought the team played well and very taticaly. We know that Athletic would have an attaking mentality and would go with a hard tackle, this is way we played more defensively, counter-attaking and marking very tight, so we could get the ball and use our Wingers.

What do you think about the next games, that from 3 games, 2 are against Boca Juniors?

Nick Big:

Well, as i have said before, Boca is last in Division 4 and in the SMFA Shield Group C; but we can't think that they will be easy games, because they won't. Today Boca played in 4-3-3 and they lost 5-2 for Stuttgart, but they had the Assistant Manager, and how they have a new manager i don't know how they will play. But it will be a nice game because the two teams need the win: Wolfsburg to get to the top and Boca to get of the last place. After Boca we will get Newcastle, but I will talk about them after our next game.

Just remembering: Athletic played with the Assistant Manager

Hamburger SV 3-0 Palmeiras

elia.jpg

(Elia celebrates scoring his first goal this season)

Hamburger SV leaped up to second place with a thrilling 3-0 victory over Mark Majury’s Palmeiras side, who were unbeaten in all competitions prior to this match. The match promised to be an interesting one with Josh Hammond’s side looking to bounce back from a terrible defeat to Rangers on Saturday. He saw his team up against a Brazilian side that were on top form. Hammond only made one change to his side that beat Everton yesterday, a former first-team regular Tesche made his first appearance since the 2nd of July. He had lost his position in the team to new signing Palombo, who he replaced today. Mark Majury, however, did not make any changes.

Match Report

The match got off to a flying start with the spectators only having to wait one minute for the first goal. Eljero Elia proved why he is so highly rated by rounding the helpless Marcos and finishing superbly from an acute angle. In recent weeks Josh Hammond had complained about his team not finding their rhythm as quickly as he had wanted but there was nothing to complain about there. Hamburger continued to pile on the pressure when in the 12th minute, Marcell Jansen found himself standing in-front of an open net but he somehow managed to pull his shot wide. He held his head in his hands. That was a dreadful miss. Two minutes later Jaroslav Drobny made his first save of the match when he easily got in the way of a short-range shot. Shortly after, Hamburger managed to double their lead with a delightful goal. Paolo Cannavaro played a wonderful lobbed ball to Elia who controlled it gloriously and struck the ball past the motionless Palmeiras keeper for his second goal of the match. Hamburger were on top form. HSV stepped of the gas a bit; no team could keep that pressure up for a whole forty-five minutes. In the 27th minute Taddei tried to reduce the deficit, but his shot was well wide of the mark. Straight after this opportunity, Palmeiras found themselves with another. A mix up in the defence left the ball loose in the box, it eventually fell to Wellington Paulista who blasted it wide. The pressure continued as Mark Majury’s side looked to get a goal before half-time, and they could have. An unmarked Freitas Kleber received the ball in the six yard box but somehow or another managed to put his shot over the bar. He fell to the floor in disbelief as the referee Robert Malek called the first-half to a close. The home fans were ecstatic, they hadn’t seen their team play this well in a long time.

After their fifteen minute break, both teams stepped on to the pitch ready for the second-half. The half started very much like the last half ended, with Palmeiras on the attack. Barbosa Rivaldo was played through on goal but he hit the post. In the 53rd minute, there they were again, this time Kleber scuffing his shot wide. Five minutes after this miss Hamburger wrapped up the match. Heiko Westermann came charging into the box and was unfairly brought down by the Brazilian defender Silva, the referee had no doubts that it was a penalty. Petrić confidently stepped up to take it and he made no mistake, he coolly sent Marcos the wrong way to give HSV a three goal advantage. But this wasn’t enough for them, they wanted more. In the 70th minute Marcell Jansen found himself in front of an open goal again, but instead of putting the ball wide, like last time, he smashed it over the bar. He could not believe his luck. The referee brought out his first card late on in the game. Lincoln received a caution for a high challenge on Paolo Guerrero, he really should have been sent off for that. The last action for this match came in the form of a Palmeiras attack. Rivaldo hit a spectacular volley but it was saved by the fingertips of Drobny, who kept his third clean sheet this season. The match ended with a well-deserved win for the German side, who moved up to second ahead of rivals VFL Wolfsburg.

Full-time score: Hamburger SV 3-0 Palmeiras

Match Statistics

HamburgerSVPalmeiras.png

HamburgerSVPalmeirasMatchStats.png

Post-Match Interview

SKY Sports met up with Josh Hammond after the game, we discussed the victory and the decision to play Tesche ahead of Palombo:

Josh Hammond says:

This was an excellent victory for us, it’s nice to see that the team are actually taking in what I say and that they are giving their all on the pitch. I have strengthened up my defence and it looks like it is paying off, we kept a wonderful clean sheet this evening and it is always nice to do that. I am really happy with the way the team is progressing and I am glad that we are performing well.

As for the decision to play Tesche ahead of Angelo Palombo tonight, it was purely for rotational purposes, well, and a bit tactical. There is no point playing the same players over and over again because one, they get tired, and two, your opponents will then know who you will play and what tactics you are going to use. It’s simple, keep the opposition guessing. But I tell you now, if Robert can keep up this great form, then he will be back in the starting eleven no problem.

Hamburger’s next fixture is against the struggling Celtic, who are in a lowly 16th position with only three points. Their manager, Parvinder Thaliwal, has only been able to grab one win since taking over the club in late June. As usual, Josh Hammond will be looking for all three points in his attempt to gain promotion to Division 3.

wolfsburg_ale.gif

Vfl Wolfsburg 4 x 0 Boca Juniors

cicero__wolfsburg_4de91cbb5c240-473928-4de91cbb5db8b.jpg

Cicero did one of the goals

Wolfsburg manager, Nick Big said all over the week that this would be a hard game, but this wasn't what happened...

The match

Wolfsburg won't let the last place of Division 4 , Boca Junior, win this game.And this was what they did. Before the match begun the Wolfsburg fans gave a show by taking 29,981 poeple to the Volkswagenarena that has a cappacity of 30,000 poeple. In the first 20 minutes, Boca tryed to get te win and they made Benaglio work in this minutes; but after the first 20 minutes Wolfsburg shown they superiority and got the result they wanted. Wolfsburg got to the goal at 21', 22', 23' and 24' minutes, when Ochs did his third goal in this competition. Untill this final of the first half the game wasn't nice, with Wolfsburg holding the ball and Boca using the counter-attacks.

Wolfsburg wasn't happy with only 1 goal lead because it was a dangerous result. Much time wasn't necessary to Wolfsburg score the other two goals: At 52 minutes Cicero scored a goal with a powerful header; and at 56 minutes Liedson scored his goal with another header. At 62 minutes Cicero nearly scored his second hoal, when he kicked the ball just over the crossbar. Just after this 2 goals Boca tryed to get a goal, but Diego scored his goal at 85 minutes, whe he beated 2 defenders to score a wonderfull goal. The german side nearly scored another goal, but the game enden like this.

This result left Boca in the last place with only 1 point, while Wolfsburg is in the third place with 8 points (2 wins and 2 draws), 4 points after the leader Newcastle (next game).

Man of the match

0002047882706_img.jpg

Just like in the last game, Liedson was chosen the man of the match

Post game interview

Are you calmer after this match result? And what about the next Division 4 game?

Nick Big

Yes, I am. I liked the game and our tatic with an AM playing nearly like a Forward worked very well.

About our next Division 4 game it will be very hard. Newcastle United is first in Division 4 with 4 wins in 4 games and they have Ben Arfa that also has 4 games and 4 goals. They will play at home, but we will play very taticaly to try to beat them.

Is it true that you refusen a job offer from AZ??

Nick Big:

Yes, it is true. They have a very good team but i love Wolfsburg and will try to take them to the Division 3 next season.

Celtic 0-1 Hamburger SV

112670.jpg

(Captain Drobny takes control of his defence)

Josh Hammond’s Hamburger closed the gap on first place Newcastle this evening with a 1-0 victory over Scottish giants Celtic, who are having a tough time in the League. This loss put the hoops bottom of Division 4 with only one win this season. Hamburger made numerous changes to the side that thrashed Palmeiras 3-0 as they looked to rest key players ahead of their round one cup game against Roma. Silva, Tresche, Beister and Pitroipa replaced Westermann, Jarolím, Petrić and Jansen. With these key players rested it was a great chance for the reserves to prove themselves to the manager. Parvinder Thaliwal, however, made no changes to his side that lost 3-1 to Rennes on Wednesday.

Match Report

The match started of lively with a goal nearly coming in the second minute. Zamora softly headed the ball towards goal and it very nearly rolled in but Jaroslav Drobny just got there. Maximilian Beister, who made his first appearance for the club this season, pleaded with his team mates not to become complacent. Hamburger replied three minutes later by forcing Ben Foster to make a fantastic reflex save. It wasn’t until the 28th minute that we got our next piece of action. Guerrero hit a vicious twenty-five yard shot which had the English goalkeeper scrambling across his goal, but he eventually got to it. Soon after, Celtic had a penalty appeal. Diego Tardelli was clearly brought down in the penalty area but the referee Alexandru Dan Tudor waved play on. HSV got away with that one. Hamburger continued to push on though. Jonathon Pitroipa received the ball on the edge or the box but he struck it all wrong and it went sailing wide. In the 40th minute Pitroipa had another shot, this time he worked Foster. The Burkinabé winger lost his marker and then produced a great snapshot which forced the Celtic goalkeeper to make another fine save. The consistent pressure of the German team resulted in them getting the first and only goal of the match. One minute before half time, Elia stormed down the right flank and put a sensational cross into the box which found the head of Beister who knocked the ball into the back of the net. A superb headed goal. The goal couldn’t have come at a better time. The referee ended the half there and Hamburger were worthy of their one goal lead, although it should have been more.

The second half started and neither teams made any substitutions. It looked like Josh Hammond had told his side that one goal was not enough because they pouring forward in numbers. In the 47th minute Palombo tried a tame shot but it didn’t trouble the keeper. As HSV looked to conserve their energy for the cup match, the match calmed down…Well, apart from the tackling. Two bookings in quick succession with Hamburger’s Alex Silva going in the book after failing to move back ten yard for a free-kick, and Celtic’s Roger Johnson also receiving a caution for a late lunge on Tesche. During the closing minutes of the game, Celtic looked to grab the equaliser with chances from both Ljungberg and Tardelli, but they both failed to hit the target. The match ended with Hamburger SV picking up a well-deserved win. Manager Josh Hammond looked as happy as ever as he stretched his unbeaten run to three games in all competitions.

Full-time score: Celtic 0-1 Hamburger SV

Match Statistics

CelticHamburger.png

CelticHamburgerStats.png

Post-Match Interview

After the game, SKY Sports asked Josh Hammond about his victory, the upcoming cup fixture against Roma and rumours suggesting Jarolím is leaving this summer:

Josh Hammond says:

Today I played a slightly weakened side than usual as I want us to progress in the cup. It was a big risk not playing our star players tonight but I’m glad it paid off. Again we played very well defensively with our latest signing Gámez, who, since joining the club has helped us to two clean sheets in the league. He is a fantastic signing and I am very happy with the way he is turning out. Offensively we were good but I think we can do better. We need to take our chances. Today we had sixteen shots but only four of them were on target. This is not good enough.

As for the upcoming fixture against Roma, I want us to do our best. I know it is going to be a hard fixture but we do have the quality to beat them. Cup matches are always full of surprises and I think my team can pull one off on Monday.

And finally, Jarolím. I have been talking to him and we have come to an agreement, He will not be sold this summer but he will be leaving the club at the end of the season. He is one of our best players and he is a key part in us gaining promotion but he is getting old and we need to bring youth to the squad if we want to survive in the Division 3,that is if we can get there.

wolfsburg_ale.gif

Newcastle 2 x 2 VfL Wolfsburg

sylvain-marveaux-320981440.jpg

Marveaux opened the marker for Newcastle

The match

The match was between the first place Newcastle, that was with 4 games and 4 wins, and Wolfsburg, that had 4 games with 2 wins and 2 draws. Everibody knew that it would be a hard hame, but nobody expected a draw.

The match started with Semshov doing a very nice play, when he did a brilliant work down the flank but made a weak pass that was intercepted. One minute later Cicero got the first shot to Wolfsburg, but Harper did a nice save. Wolfsburg was on top of Newcastle, but the English team got a corner at 7 minutes that could be dangerous... And it was! Marveaux opened the mark at 7 minutes. Newcastle wasn't happy with the one goal lead and they had two other dangerous oportunities that were defended by Benaglio. At 17 minutes, Diego did a nice play that was saved bu Harper but at the seccond attemp he made his first goal in the game. Wolfsburg pressed Newcastle untill 33 minutes, when Alan Smith nearky scored a goal with a powerfull header; at 35 minutes Ben Arfa nearly scored his goal.

The second begun with Joey Barton scoring a goal at 48 minutes, when he passe trough the keeper to leave the English side at front. Newcastle United pressed Wolfsburg till 76 minutes, when Liedson leaded the german team to get back on the game. He nearly scored twice, at 76' and 77', when he missed a shot in an open goal. Wolfsburg wont let Newcastle end their unbeaten streak and they wanted to end the Englush team winning streak; so Diego scored his second goal at 82 minutes, when he did a briliant long shot goal. Newcastle nearly did 3-2 ain the last minute, but the game ended like this. Newcastle continues in first and Wolfsburg continues without losing in this season.

Man of the Match

diego_Wolfsburg2.jpg

Diego scored twice and saved the german side

Archived