Nationality - burundi.gifBurundian

Position - DM/CM

Rating - 78

Stats:

Coventry City

11/12 Season

League - 16(10)

Cup - 2(0)

Gael Bigirimana is a young midfielder that has gained rave reviews during his time in Coventry's youth academy. The talented midfielder almost slipped through the net at Coventry, but was spotted sprinting down a road by a scout who saw the athleticism in him. From that moment he or the club never looked back.

Known as an all rounder, the 17 year old has been likened to Michael Essien in terms of ability and in terms of his role as a player that can sit in front of the back four. He has a natural ability for picking the ball up in front of his defence and playing it out with a wide range of passing.

3150111-pm1374839dj200411city_9_460_318.jpg?h=b6eaf05356e8fe6e0b76a26031bccdb2

Gael has also been cited as a player with an excellent free-kick. After impressive performances for the under-18's, Gael is now in the process of breaking into the Sky Blues first team, and will be using the 2011 pre-season as his opportunity to shine. In the first game of pre-season Coventry drew 2-2 against Nuneaton Town, and Gael played the second half nearly scoring from a free-kick.

3149776-pm1374865dj200411city_16_396_345.jpg?h=797654bbf4477eb24ca918b08fb098fc

Fans of the Sky Blues don't expect us to be keeping hold of this lad for long, and he along with Conor Thomas are two of the brightest prospects to have come out of the Coventry academy since Daniel Sturridge.

Update 18/08/2011

As many already know, Gael is now on the Database. He has played every minute of the Sky Blues season to date, 3 games in the Championship and 1 in the League Cup.

0,,10794~9870966,00.jpg

With Deegan still injured and with Gael's impressive start to the season, his place in the starting 11 now looks concrete.

3445296-pm1608781ls160811pal44_416_345.jpg?h=3e2aa35a990080f98b41b91e5d98c6f8

Update 06/07/2012

Bigirimana today joined Newcastle United for an undisclosed fee.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest scotchegg

Re: Gael Bigirimana - Likened to Essien!

quality thread.

if deegan don't come up with the performances expect bigirimana to break in the first team and keep a first team spot his.

• 2 weeks later...

Some City fans are raving about Gaels pre season performances. Saying he is definitely premiership bound and even if he was at a top 4 academy he would still be considered one of there best prospects.

Look out for him when he is added to the DB as this could be his break through season.

I have to agree. His performances have been exceptional and he certainly has the ability of a McEachran or a Shelvey.

With Deegan injured again, nobody can be certain if the Irishman will feature much so either Gael or Conor Thomas could and probably will get some serious minutes under their belts this season.

Really looking forward to seeing him play in the Championship now. Hopefully he'll feature in Coventry's final pre-season game on Saturday against Norwich too.

Gael made his League debut today playing the full 90 minutes in a 1-0 defeat to Leicester.

0,,10269~9867166,00.png

Gael watches on as Vassell sees red for Leicester.

Bigirimana was the stand out performer for me. His passing was excellent and he constantly makes himself available. Looked calm, composed and full of confidence. Made no errors in the game barring a bit of a scuffed cross and looks full of skill.

He has leapfrogged Conor Thomas in the pecking order and after todays performance could be an ever-present should he stay fit and healthy.

0,,10269~9867106,00.png

Gael makes a great last ditch tackle to stop Neil Danns.

Very very impressed with this lad. Already looks a highly talented and capable player.

Gael has today signed a 12 month contract extension at Coventry City. His original deal was set to see him stay with the Sky Blues until June 2013, but this has now been extended to June 2014.

3420595-pm1586889dj060811city_23_451_345.jpg?h=22074227b3153810cda7380a82fb86be

Taken from the clubs official website;

COVENTRY City midfielder Gael Bigirimana has signed a 12-month extension to his current professional contract with the club.

The 17-year-old, who made his full league debut for the Sky Blues in their opening day league fixture with Leicester City on Saturday, August 6, initially signed his first professional deal with the club in July 2011 to June 2013.

Bigirimana, a graduate of the club's academy set-up, has now penned an extension to his current contract which runs to June 2014.

Coventry City manager Andy Thorn said: "I'm delighted Gael has decided to sign this new deal.

"He has acquitted himself extremely well since his step up to the first team, he fully deserved to make his league debut at the weekend and this extension shows how highly we regard him."

He should be in the Coventry team tonight against Bury in the Cup.

That will be full appearance number 2.

Doesn't he need 4 appearances to qualify for SM?

Although I suspect a ticket will have been submitted by someone already

when would you expect him to be added to the DB? :)
He should be in the Coventry team tonight against Bury in the Cup.

That will be full appearance number 2.

Doesn't he need 4 appearances to qualify for SM?

Although I suspect a ticket will have been submitted by someone already

The golden number is 450 minutes of game-time. Gael currently has 90 minutes. Looks like someone already tried to get him added though which is a pain as it may delay him being put on.

I'm hopeful he'll be on the DB within the next 3/4 weeks but I can't be certain.

The golden number is 450 minutes of game-time. Gael currently has 90 minutes. Looks like someone already tried to get him added though which is a pain as it may delay him being put on.

I'm hopeful he'll be on the DB within the next 3/4 weeks but I can't be certain.

Thanks. I'll keep an eye out. :)

Gael got another 90 minutes of football under his belt tonight, taking him up to 180 minutes.

It was a poor night for the Sky Blues, beaten 3-1 by Bury in the League Cup, but 3 of Coventry players (Jutkiewicz, Thomas and Christie) have vowed to right the wrongs of tonight against Birmingham on Saturday.

He was only 17??? Got to say he did play well against the likes of Gelson Fernandes, Wellens and Danns in midfield, shows he's got the ability to shine in the Championship as them three are at least high quality Championship players.

I do think that that last ditch tackle on Danns in the picture below was more luck than judgement though. You can clearly see that he's just thrown himself in and hoped to get a piece of the ball, which he did. On another day Danns would've knocked it by him :P

He's on the database now!

A little earlier than I was expected' date=' means I'll miss out on him in a vital set-up but hey, at least he's on there now! :)

Will he get a good rise?

Depend on when the Championship is reviewed. If he keeps his place in the starting 11 and the Championship gets reviewed in 12/15 games time he'll go to 79/80.

It's not so much about the first rise for Bigi though. He has a great chance of being a future star. Could easily be a 90+ player in a few years time.

He was only 17??? Got to say he did play well against the likes of Gelson Fernandes' date=' Wellens and Danns in midfield, shows he's got the ability to shine in the Championship as them three are at least high quality Championship players.

I do think that that last ditch tackle on Danns in the picture below was more luck than judgement though. You can clearly see that he's just thrown himself in and hoped to get a piece of the ball, which he did. On another day Danns would've knocked it by him :P[/quote']

Yeah, only 17. Incredibly talented lad. The way he plays came across to me as being perfectly suited to the holding role in Chelsea's formation if he keeps working hard and getting better as he plays.

The tackle on Danns was definitely just a stroke of luck but it's the way he kept his composure after misjudging his first touch that impressed me. Any other Coventry player would have either fell over after controlling it like that or would have done a Boris Johnson.....

uOivzoRc0I8

Bigi kept his cool and got himself stuck in again which to me shows a little bit of class. :D

Gael got another 90 minutes today, a 1-0 defeat against Birmingham.

Bigirimana had a quiet 1st half but took control of the midfield in the second. Calm, composed and made a couple of excellent tackles late in the game.

He's very much a stand out player, and whilst Coventry are currently a losing side that's nothing to do with his performances. The Sky Blues are just far too light upfront to trouble the scorers sheet. The midfield is actually working very well.

Gael got another 90 minutes today' date=' a 1-0 defeat against Birmingham.

Bigirimana had a quiet 1st half but took control of the midfield in the second. Calm, composed and made a couple of excellent tackles late in the game.

He's very much a stand out player, and whilst Coventry are currently a losing side that's nothing to do with his performances. The Sky Blues are just far too light upfront to trouble the scorers sheet. The midfield is actually working very well.[/quote']

Not a Very Thrilling Game,He Seems To be a Better Player Than Some Of The Midfielders Which Is Good For a 17 Year Old Player Who Plays Midfield.

If He Can Keep It Up He Could Move To a Prem Club.

Right Now He Should Focus On Doing Well For His Club.

Guest scotchegg

he's turned prem teams down already at the age of 15.

he is really into god and stuff, same as his family which are from coventry.

he don't wanna leave his family, could we have a player who has some loyalty for a change??

he's turned prem teams down already at the age of 15.

he is really into god and stuff' date=' same as his family which are from coventry.

he don't wanna leave his family, could we have a player who has some loyalty for a change??[/quote']

I would like to think so. It's quite refreshing to see a player with some loyalty about him.

I'm not sure if the talk of him rejecting United is purely speculation as it was never reported by media but it would make sense as apparently Sir Alex was in attendance at the game today.

The problem we (Coventry City) have is no matter how loyal Bigi may be, it comes down to if the board share that loyalty, and as showed with Conor Thomas last season, they don't.

He seems to love the city and the club but I'm sure if a club offered Sisu £2m/£3m they'd be packing his bags for him.

Guest scotchegg

I would like to think so. It's quite refreshing to see a player with some loyalty about him.

I'm not sure if the talk of him rejecting United is purely speculation as it was never reported by media but it would make sense as apparently Sir Alex was in attendance at the game today.

The problem we (Coventry City) have is no matter how loyal Bigi may be' date=' it comes down to if the board share that loyalty, and as showed with Conor Thomas last season, they don't.

He seems to love the city and the club but I'm sure if a club offered Sisu £2m/£3m they'd be packing his bags for him.[/quote']

yeah i know what your saying, but he refused to go. don't know who the club was, but if hoffmann gets his hands on coventry we won't need to sell him.

come on hoffmann pull your finger out and show us your money!!

btw add bigirimana on facebook, he's always online. and yes its really him :)

Archived