Leicester City GC28 News&Transfers

.CFC

BadgeLeicester_City.png

LC_Home.pngLC_Away.png

In August 2010, following agreement on a three-year shirt sponsorship deal with duty free retailers the King Power Group, Mandaric sold the club to a Thai-led consortia named Asian Football Investments that will be fronted by King Power Group's Vichai Raksriaksorn. Mandaric, an investor in AFI, will remain as club chairman. On 1 October 2010, after a poor start which has seen Leicester bottom of the Npower Championship with only one win out of the first 9 league games, Sousa was sacked by the club with immediate effect. Two days later, Sven-Göran Eriksson, who had been approached by the club after the 6–1 loss to the then bottom-of-the-table Portsmouth two weeks earlier, was appointed as his replacement signing a two-year contract with the club. On 10 February 2011, Vichai Raksriaksorn, part of the Thai-based Asia Football Investments consortium, was appointed new chairman of the club after Mandaric left in November to take over Sheffield Wednesday.

I'm currently half way through my 1st season with my Leicester team in GC28 and I have decided that I am going to set up an archives thread where all the reports etc that I have written on this team can be stored in one place, so one day I can look back and see how things have changed and developed over the years.

I would kindly ask that people don't post on this thread but if anyone has any questions or would like to give feedback to me then I would be grateful if it was done over the PM/VM system. Thanks and enjoy!:D

Re: Leicester City GC28 News&Transfers

npower_championship_football.gif

football-team-logo-62.pngfootball-team-logo-29.png

DJ-Campbell-Blackpool.gif

Match Review

Reading 1 - 0 Leicester

Campbell 44

Leicester stuttered to a halt tonight when they lost to a strong Reading side. Just before half-time Reading opened the scoring with star striker DJ Campbell running through the defence before sliding the ball calmly under the advancing keeper. Reading controlled most of the game and Leicester struggled to get a foot-hold on the game. Changes will have to be made for Leicester's next game against Barnsley as they search their first win since the opening game of the season.

Brighton reject Leicester City's bid for striker Jermaine Beckford

Jermaine-Beckford-Everton_2636832.jpg

Leicester City will have to increase their £2.5m bid for Brighton's Jermaine Beckford if they are to sign the striker. City tabled an offer for the 27-year-old at the end of last week, which has been rejected by the Seagulls. The offer was less than the £3 million reported yesterday morning and a source at Brighton said it was way below their valuation of the striker. City boss James Chettle is keen to bring in a striker who can score over 20 goals this season and spearhead his side's promotion push.

He has so far been frustrated in his attempts to land Shane Long, who has joined Reading, Spurs' Robbie Keane, who has signed for Italian side Internazionale.

San Jose Earthquakes midfielder Joey Barton has medical at Leicester

PA-11389309.jpg

SJE midfielder Joey Barton has undergone the second part of his medical at Leicester's training ground as he moves closer to leaving the club. The 28-year-old, who joined the Magpies from Manchester City for £5.8m in 2007, is in the final year of his contract.

He was made available this summer on a free transfer after using Twitter to criticise the club's transfer policy.

Barton travelled to Leicester on Wednesday and underwent tests as the Foxes attempted to persuade him to head for the city.

JOEY BARTON FACTS

Born: 2 September 1982

Birthplace: Huyton, Merseyside

Position: Midfielder

Former clubs: San Jose Earthquakes, Hamilton

League appearances: 113

League goals: 8

League yellow/red cards: 13/1

He said on Twitter on Wednesday: "Going for a medical now, still no contract offer from SJEFC, think that just about makes my mind up."

And in another tweet, he added: "Don't want to leave SJE. I've made that clear but my hands are tied."

But Leicester manager James Chettle has rejected the notion that Barton's arrival is a "done deal" but would like to complete the signing by Thursday afternoon.

"I don't think you can say that about any deal really until people sign," said Chettle.

"I am not getting my hopes up one way or another. We've made him a very good offer and I think Joey appreciates that.

"Although I hope Joey doesn't think we're going to pay him what some of the papers said we were going to pay him this morning."

Leicester v Barnsley Match preview

football-team-logo-29.pngfootball-team-logo-21.png

barnsley_2011_kit.jpg

Barnsley are the visitors on saturday to the King power Stadium

An easy win is anticipated in this local derby as two sides look for the win. Unmanaged Barnsley are in the relegation zone, but its too early on too say who's going down. As for Leicester they sit mid-table but would like to be in a higher postion one the season comes to a climax. The signings of Adam Hamill and Joey Barton are yet to be completed but they are having medicals over the next few days.

Leicester v Barnsley Match Review

football-team-logo-29.pngfootball-team-logo-21.png

Halfredsson.jpg

Hallfredesson is the only scorer at the KP stadium.

Match Review

Leicester 0 - 1 Barnsley

-------------- Hallfredesson 59

Leicester again failed on Saturday to bag their first win since the opening weekend of the Championship season, losing 1-0 to Barnsley. The win comes as good news to the Tykes as they jump out of the relegation zone for the time being. On the other hand not so good for Leicester. On a good note, Leicester have completed the signings of Barton and Hamill- More news to follow in the next report.

03861ba5f1fdea6d11f26505072add53.jpg

Hammill speaks to the press on his move and holds his shirt

Joey Barton has admitted he did not want to leave SJE but has spoken of his excitement at joining Leicester.

Barton signed a four-year deal on Friday and could make his Leicester debut against his old club on 12 September.

Asked if he would rather have stayed at SJE, Barton, 28, said: "I think everyone knew that.

"It is disappointing times and it's sad when SJE's best players are leaving to go elsewhere."

Barton was keen to pay tribute to the SJE fans.

Leicester have also signed former Barnsley winger Adam Hammill for an undisclosed fee on a three-and-a-half-year contract.

Hamill, who turns 23 on Tuesday could make his debut against his former club Wolves

"Leicester are a massive club and I'm pleased to be getting the chance to try and play for a upcoming sidel," he told the club's website.

"I think my ambitions go hand in hand with the club's."

Leicester in talks with Ferdinand

4d6245d3f007457bedb6ea93865a24d8.jpg

Sky Sports sources understand Leicester are in talks with CSKA Moskow over a possible deal for Anton Ferdinand.

The Foxes have already signed Joey Barton since James Chettle assumed managerial control of the club.

Chettle had stated he would like to bring in four or five players before the close of the transfer window and it now looks like that could be the case.

Final year:

The 26-year-old has two years left of his contract and there have been no attempts to open discussions about a new deal.

Their return to fitness means the manager can allow the player to leave, which would free up funds as he tries to sign a striker.

Ferdinand, who is the younger brother of England and Manchester United defender, Rio cost the club around £8million three years ago.

But it is thought they will now be prepared to take as little as £1million for the former England Under-21 international.

Wolves v Leicester Match Preview

2848.pngfootball-team-logo-29.png

stephen-hunt.jpg

Stephen Hunt scores for Wolves and will look for goals tonight

Wolves take on Leicester City later tonight in the next fixture of the new Division 2 season with both teams hoping for a positive result.

The home team only have no injury concerns going into the match. That aside, Wolves have a full squad to pick from.

Leicester City have no injury or disciplinary concerns for the game and new signing Barton is likely to start. Manager James Chettle will be looking to striker Cameron Jermone to continue banging in the goals with the 24 year old having scored 9 goals in 11 league games for The Foxes

Wolves v Leicester Match Review

2848.pngfootball-team-logo-29.png

Cameron-Jerome-Birmingham_2619346.jpg

Wolves 2 - 3 Leicester

Aquafresca '81 Floro Flores '57.

Beattie '71-------------- Jerome '72, '85

First win since the opening game of the season brings delight to KP stadium. Recent games i've criticized my players due to poor performances, but tonight they came out and gave me three goals .Bristol City next away.

LeicesterCity-1.png

Leicester announce shock third kit.

There was outrage from the fans when the Foxes board originally announced they would be having a red third kit, but James Chettle had something to say about this. It had been revealed they initially turned down the chance to agree a 15 million pound deal with Sky to remain with the local company 'King power'. The new kit also see's Errea being named as the new kit manufacturer.

Leicester have released this kit and are not taking any requests to change it the club earlier reported. They eventually were persuaded by Sky and signed a 2 year contract with them. We have been funded with 15 million pounds thanks to this deal and are very grateful. The design is sleek red with black sleeves and collar. The price of this shirt is rumoured to be around £32 for an Adult and £20 for a child.

LC_Third.png

James Chettle spoke on the presentation of the new shirt,

When I first heard about the design of the new third kit I was surprised but I liked the design. Red freaked me out due to Leicester having Blue and white. I expect the players and fans to get on with the football. I hope fans buy the shirt, to show their true passion towards the Leicester football club.

LeicesterCity-1.png

Angel Rangel signs three-year deal at Leicester

Sheffield-United-v-Swansea-Angel-Rangel-Gary-_2445710.jpg

Angel Rangel has ended speculation over his future by signing a three-year contract with Leicester City.

The news is a boost to the Championship newcomers after the departures of Richie Wellens and Lloyd Dyer.

Leicester chairman Vichai Raksriaksorn said: "There has been interest from Premier League clubs in Angel.

"But he is very pleased to try and achieve his dream of reaching the Premier League with the club he left his native Spain for."

Right-back Rangel joined Swansea from Spanish side Terrassa in 2007.

The 28-year-old's contract was due to expire at the end of June, leading to fears he could be leaving on a free transfer if he could not agree a deal with another club.

Raksriaksorn added: "We are very happy to secure Angel's future for the next three years.

Jenkins has said that contract negotiations with players had become complex since they won promotion to the Championship.

"Moving to the Championship is going to bring its new challenges and that's something we obviously anticipated and we will learn very quickly," he said.

"A lot of the talk is not really about the salary, it's about the relegation clauses in contracts.

"That's something that is pretty much on everybody's focus when you're talking about contracts these days and it's something we've got to get used to."

vpaWGfGa5tE

Scotland-Flag.jpg

Chettle announces World Cup Qualifiers squad

GK:

Allan McGregor (Rangers)

Craig Gordon (Sunderland)

Matthew Gilks (Blackpool)

Neil Alexander (St.Johnstone)

DEF:

Stephen Crainey (Blackpool)

Alan Hutton (Tottenham)

Phil Bardsley (Sunderland)

Steven Whittaker (Rangers)

Kirk Broadfoot (Rangers)

Mark Wilson (Hearts)

David Weir (Dundee United)

Gary Caldwell (Getafe)

Christophe Berra (Wolves)

Charlie Mulgrew (Hamilton)

MID:

Lee McCulloch (Motherwell)

Darren Fletcher (Atletico Madrid)

Barry Ferguson (Hamburger SV)

Charlie Adam (PSG)

Kevin Thomson (Rangers)

Barry Bannan (PSG)

James Morrison (Rangers)

Steven Naismith (PSV)

Shaun Maloney (Celtic)

James Mcfadden (Birmingham)

FWD:

Kenny Miller (Bursaspor)

Steven Fletcher (QPR)

Kris Boyd (Rangers)

David Goodwillie (Blackburn)

Chris Iwelumo (Burnley)

Scotland-Flag.jpg

547727-www.personal.utulsa.edu--john-mccampbell-Scottish-Flag.jpgTurkey%20flag.jpg

Scotland 4 - 1 Turkey

Boyd 11,13,46 Karadeniz 17

Morrison 23

kris_boyd_1008209c.jpg

Boyd scores his hatrick and caps a delightful performance

A wonderful first-half display gave Scotland their first win under James Chettle as Turkey were torn apart at Hampden Park.

Kris Boyd, who had an outstanding afternoon, opened the scoring with a executed volley after eleven minutes.

He then added a second two minutes later with a glancing header from a cross. The visitors then pulled one back through Karadeniz who heads in a cross from the right hand side of the field around the twenty minute mark.

But five minutes later Scotland were in front after Darren Fletchers's cute back-heel set up Morrison, who drilled home in a low, angled shot from 12 yards.

The Scots started the second half just as lively as the first half and were rewarded 2 minutes after the interval when Rangers striker Boyd lashed home a powerful half-volley from 15 yards and completed his hatrick.

McFadden should have added to the Scotland tally but failed to connect with a low Boyd cross just five yards out.

Scotland could not find the crisp passing and movement on show for the remainder of the game and the game petered out with the home side making a number of changes.

Scotland
: Mcgregor, Whittaker, Weir, Gary Caldwell, Berra, Adam, Fletcher, Morrison ©, Miller, Boyd, Maloney. Subs: Gordon, Hutton, Mulgrew, Thomson, Ferguson, Iwelumo, Fletcher.

Turkey
: Volkan, Gonul, Balta, Zan, Toraman, Sahin, M.Aurelio, Altintop, Senturk, Erding, Karadeniz ©. Subs: Rustu, Toscali, Boral, Emre, Nihat, Yaman, Sarioglu.

LeicesterCity-1.pngnpower-championship-logo-300x156.jpg

football-team-logo-49.pngfootball-team-logo-29.png

The Foxes look to eat the Robins

DavidJames_2517083.jpg

James will try and keep a clean sheet tonight

At the start of the season many people thought that these two sides would be right up there challenging at least in the top six. However, both have gone through managerial changes and had poor starts, with Bristol City sat in 23rd and Leicester just a few places higher in 15th.

Bristol City may have improved ever so slightly over the past month or so, but overall their season has been something of a disaster. On paper they possess some excellent players and because of that, their position of 22nd will not have gone down well with their supporters. Fortunately for Keith Millen, their form has improved over the past month and with just one defeat in six, it looks like they are slowly fixing their many problems. However, they come into this game on the back of a 2-0 defeat to Barnsley so it’ll be certainly interesting to see how they respond to their latest setback. Strangely enough, while they are in the bottom three their season isn’t over though.

Leicester meanwhile have improved drastically over the past few weeks. It was only a month or so ago that the Foxes were level with City, yet the appointment of James Chettle has revived the club and they now sit in 15th spot having accumulated nine points so far. They head into this game with one wins from their last four and with the King Power Stadium outfit sitting just five points away from the top six, they aren’t too far away from their target. What’s more, after leaking goals right, left and centre at the start of the campaign they have tightened things up in recent weeks and now look a completely different prospect to the side that was taking to the division around three weeks ago.

In terms of team news, both teams have clean slates to pick from. Leicester certainly will start Jerome and the likely formation will be 4-4-2.

As for a prediction, I'm going to tip the visitors here. Bristol City may be in some good form, but Leicester had a good performance last week. My prediction 2-1 to the Foxes.

LeicesterCity-1.pngnpower-championship-logo-300x156.jpg

football-team-logo-49.pngfootball-team-logo-29.png

Robins run free of Foxes

_42515579_steadshot416.jpg

Stead adds the third goal to humiliate Leicester

Bristol City 4 - 1 Leicester

The idea that Neil Warnock is a tactical mastermind may seem a surprising one but there was some justification for the notion on Saturday.

With 15 minutes left of a match during which his much revamped team had often looked second best, the Bristol City manager threw caution to the wind and made a triple substitution.

Given that the score was 1-1 at the time and Warnock was taking off his new £800,000 striker Danny Webber, whose pace had seemed to be United's only hope of breaking down a well-organised Leicester defence, it was a brave move. But as he pointed out afterwards, a summer of wheeling and dealing has given him some real options.

"No team is going to win anything with 11 players, and our bench this year looks ever so exciting, we can change a game just by putting one player on and we've got five or six like that, so it's very pleasing to know we've changed that," he said with a smile.

Strength in depth might be the key that finally unlocks the door to the Premiership for City after 11 seasons of trying. The introduction of Neil Shipperley, Steve Kabba and Keith Gillespie gave the misfiring Robins' attack focus, trickery and width, all of which had been lacking up to that point. It's true that the door was pushed open for them by a ludicrously harsh refereeing decision, but United were ruthless in barging their way through.

Lee Mason had already given City one entirely legitimate penalty, for a foolish and clumsy challenge by Leicester's goalkeeper Diego Benaglio on Paul Ifill shortly after the half-hour. City equalised soon after half-time, when Cameron Jerome's deflected shot squeezed past the Robins keeper Kenny.

Mason was again involved, albeit inadvertently, when the ball hit his head in midfield and Joey Gudjonsson took advantage of some defensive confusion to begin the move that led to the goal . Thereafter Leicester, with Yuki Abi and Joey Barton particularly impressive, looked in control.

Moments after Warnock made his changes however, Mason was at it again. Douglas saved well from Ifill, and the ball bounced up and struck Leicester's defender Bamba on the shoulder before being cleared. Not one United player appealed - even the crowd didn't bother - but Mason, who was behind the player and cannot have seen the incident clearly, pointed to the spot.

Kabba converted, and with Leicester forced to chase an equaliser the space was suddenly there for the new men to exploit. They duly did so, Gillespie putting over a fine cross from the right for Ifill to head past Douglas, and then Ifill himself crossing from the left beyond Douglas for Leigh Bromby to chest into an empty goal.

"Until the referee decided to intervene for such an innocuous thing, we were the better team and I felt we were going to go on and win the match," said a disbelieving Leicester manager James Chettle. "Anybody who says it wasn't a penalty is wrong," said Warnock simply.

LeicesterCity-1.png

Big spending Leicester sign Sissoko and Sirigu

Sirigu-Sissoko-PSG.jpg

Malian international Mohamed Sissoko has sealed a return to England after Leicester agreed a €7m fee with Barcelona.

The midfielder, 26, has signed a three-year contract with the big spending club some eight seasons after departing AJ Auxerre for Valencia CF without ever having made a Ligue 1 appearance. He spent two terms in Spain, winning the Liga and UEFA Cup in his first campaign, and after a two-and-a-half year spell at Liverpool FC he switched to Juventus in January 2007.

"I chose Leicester because this club has a very ambitious project that really motivated me," he said. "I have played in England before but I now have the opportunity to get to know the team and impose my style."

Sissoko is the latest in a string of high-profile signings, following Joey Barton. Benaglio will compete for the No1 jersey with Salvatore Sirigu, twice capped by Italy, who also joined on Saturday from US Città di Palermo in a €3.5m deal. The 24-year-old has committed to James Chettle's side until summer 2015.

LeicesterCity-1.png

West Brom close to signing £5m Tal Ben Haim

article-1299901-067E1C0F000005DC-647_468x286.jpg

Ben Haim looks to be on the move again

Leicester defender Tal Ben Haim is set to accept an offer to move to West Brom in a £5million deal - and will make a decision in the next 24 hours.

Israel international Ben Haim has suffered a nightmare at the King Power stadium, where new boss James Chettle has told the 29-year-old he is free to find another club.

Albion boss Roy Hodgson is determined to add half a dozen new faces.

He admitted: "On initial viewing, the make-up of the squad and the cover we have in certain areas seems a little bit light."

Leicester are persisting with their audacious bid to sign Niko Kranjcar of Portsmouth as Chettle looks to add flair and talent to his ever-growing squad.

The Foxes next match takes place against Preston North End on Wednesday 7th September.

LeicesterCity-1.png

football-team-logo-29.pngfootball-team-logo-61.png

zenden-marseille_98692.jpg

Zenden is the new captain of Preston.

The game between Leicester City and Preston North End in Division 2 on Wednesday 7th September 2011 at 20:00 takes centre stage.

Leicester City prepare to entertain Preston North End at Walkers Stadium on Wednesday evening, needing to continue a good record between the sides. The visitors have won 1 of the 4 previous games, with the Foxes winning all other 3.

The most recent encounter between these two sides at Walkers Stadium was just pre-season, in June 2011, with Preston N.E. inflicting a heaving 1-4 defeat upon the Foxes in a Friendly match.

Leicester City have managed to pick up just two wins from their last six home games, losing three, While Foxes have scored 8, a worringly large 11 have been leaked at the other end.

Preston N.E. have an average recent record on the road, winning 2 of the last six, but losing the other 4. While the North End have hit 12 goals, 15 have hit the back of the wrong net.

Leicester City are hovering perilously just above the relegation zone, with 9 points from 9 matches. Preston N.E. are slotted nicely in the relegation zone, with 7 points from 9 matches.

LeicesterCity-1.png

football-team-logo-29.pngfootball-team-logo-61.png

PRESTONH.png

CJ1.jpg

Leicester claimed their first home league win of the season at the third time of asking last night.

The home side took a 2-0 lead courtesy of a close-range finish from Jerome and a Adam Hammill strike.

Floro Flores then headed the third before Cameron Jerome's header into the top corner added his second and the fourth before half-time.

The hosts hit again through Jerome's header and they later added a fourth through guess who- Jerome of course!

The result is a timely boost for big-spending Leicester, who have had an inconsistent start to the season but are now up to 13th with twelve points from ten games.

LeicesterCity-1.png

football-team-logo-6794.pngfootball-team-logo-29.png

3014062.png

Dyer will look to score against his old club today

Doncaster Rovers welcome Leicester City to the Keepmoat Stadium tonight for a Division 2 fixture where both sides will look to impress their new bosses.

Form

Doncaster

Rovers won their first game in four at the weekend when they won 2-0 against Barnsley.

Rovers currently sit in fourteenth position with 10 points from 12 games played.

Recent form: LLDWLW

Leicester

The Foxes battled to a 6-0 win against PNE on Wednesday.

They currently sit in thirteenth place with 10 points from 12 games.

Recent form: LLLWLW

28228.png

FEE AGREED FOR GARDNER

0,,10281~9855179,00.jpg

There is now confirmation on the official site that a fee has been agreed for Craig Gardner.

Whilst the official site gives no indication of the fee, it does state that the deal is subject to add ons aswell.

He will most likely move early next week, once a medical has been passed and personal terms are agreed.

We all have our own thoughts about our midfield, but I desperately fail to see why he didn't get a run in the team in his favoured position and at points he certainly cannot have done any worse that we've put up with at points.

LeicesterCity-1.png

football-team-logo-6794.pngfootball-team-logo-29.png

DoncasterA.png

Floro%20Flores.jpg

Floro Flores proves point to boss James Chettle after Beckford purchase

Leicester produced a solid display to win away at Doncaster and move back up to 11th in Division 2.

The first goal of the game came in the 9th minute when Floro Flores chased a long ball, shrugged off a challenge from James Chambers and fired home.

Lloyd Dyer and Billy Sharp dragged shots wide for the hosts, before Diego Benaglio saved well from James Hayter and then Shiels' shot from distance.

Neil Sullivan brilliantly saved from Hammill but Floro Flores capatalised on the bouncing ball and slotted his second to secure the win.

Doncaster assistant boss Richard O'Kelly:

"I thought the effort we put in there was excellent and we probably dominated possession.

"Our passing and moving was good. I definitely feel we should have got something out of the game.

"Titus Bramble's foul on Billy Sharp was intelligent defending. If we'd done that we might not have been 1-0 down."

Leicester boss James Chettle on automatic promotion:

"I don't rule anything out.

"First and foremost we have to stay in the play-offs, and then it's whether we find a significant run of form.

"The three teams at the top are ahead by quite a margin. Having said that, history would say there's always a side that comes out of the pack."

BRAMBLE OUT INJURED

Titus-Bramble-will-answer-006.jpg

Leicester have been hit by injury blow after it was revealed that central defender Titus Bramble will be out injured until January at the earliest.

Bramble is due to undergo surgery for a knee cartilage problem he picked up earlier today during Leicester's 2-0 win at Doncaster.

‘It's horrible news,’ Leicester manager James Chettle told reporters. ‘Titus whacked his knee against the post and damaged knee ligaments. He will see a specialist today. I believe it could be months rather than weeks, and that's a big blow to us.’

scotland_scotland.pngaustralia_australia.png

Steven-Fletcher-Wolverhampton-Wanderers-West-_2594364.jpg

Fletcher scores twice to give Scotland top spot in group 16

AUSTRALIAH.png

Scotland remain in sight of a World Cup place thanks to two goals from Steven Fletcher.

The Scots improved after a poor first half and Fletcher headed home a Darren Fletcher cross after McFadden had blazed a great chance high and wide. He later added a second with a cool 1-on-1 finish.

Macedonia had been the better side before the break and Scotland keeper Alan McGregor made three vital stops.

Scotland must now address the small matter of beating Malta at Hampden on Wednesday to guarantee first place in Group 16.

Archived