Leicester City GC28 News&Transfers

.CFC

Re: Leicester City GC28 News&Transfers

scotland_scotland.png211248_100002379896423_2871515_n.jpg

_49025449_kenny_miller_scores_getty.jpg

Miller gets the equaliser for Scotland

MaltavScotland.png

Phil Bardsley enjoyed a perfect debut start for Scotland as he headed home the winner against Malta.

A Misfud shot put the visitors ahead after 63 minutes, before an Allan McGregor error allowed Bodganovic in but he struck his shot wide.

But Miller equalised just before 75 mins with a superb scissor kick from seven yards. Phil Bardsley added the winner a minuite later with a diving header from a by Berra.

The victory is Scotland's first over Malta in six matches, ending a winless streak going back to 1975.

The hosts, ranked 21st in the world, enjoyed the lion's share of possession in the early stages, with Scotland initially restricted to long balls to lone striker Kenny Miller.

Scott Brown, yet to play a competitive match for club side Celtic this season, had to be substituted 20 minutes into the game.

The Celtic skipper was involved in a collision with Simon Kjaer minutes earlier, with manager James Chettle choosing to remove the former Hibenian man from the match rather than risk an injury.

Adam fired a free-kick in from the left-hand side of the Denmark penalty area and the ball was helped into the net from a deflection off William Kvist Jorgensen - thus robbing the Brighton man of what would have been his first international goal.

In the 53rd minute McGregor did well to tip a long-distance drive from Denmark's half-time substitute Lasse Schone over the bar for a corner.

And with Malta in almost total control of the second half, Chettle rang the changes: withdrawing Boyd and Ferguson and introducing Darren Fletcher and Steven Naismith.

And Fletcher almost made an early impact. Niki Zimling's backpass became trapped by puddles of rainwater inside the Malta penalty area, but with the Brighton striker ready to pounce, goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen was able to block the shot.

Malta persevered right up until the final whistle - Sorensen came up for a corner in the last seconds of the match - but Scotland held out for a first win over Malta in 36 years and book their place in China.

Leicester check out Brighton teenager Dunk in search for a centre-half

Leicester are keeping tabs on Brighton's highly-rated central defender Lewis Dunk.

Dunk has excelled for Gus Poyet's side this season during Brighton's superb start to life in the Championship, alerting Leicester's scouting network.

Dunk_2635938.jpg

A Leicester representative made the trip to the Amex Stadium on Wednesday to watch 6ft 4in Dunk play in the 2-1 defeat to Barnsley but left disappointed when the 19-year-old failed to emerge from the bench. Nevertheless, they will continue to monitor his progress.

• 2 weeks later...

scotland_scotland.png

Darren Fletcher becomes latest fitness doubt for Scotland

Darren-Fletcher-Scotland_2499164.jpg

Darren Fletcher is the latest fitness doubt ahead of Scotland's World cup qualifier matches.

The Scotland captain and midfielder is suffering from tonsillitis and has yet to make the journey from Manchester to join up with the squad.

James Chettle's side travel to Vaduz on Thursday ahead of Saturday's tie.

Fletcher's condition will be assessed by Scottish Football Association medical staff on Wednesday.

Meanwhile, Scotland assistant manager Peter Houston says "it will be difficult" for Kenny Miller to be fit to face Liechtenstein.

But Houston is "hopeful" that the striker will make Tuesday's game against Spain despite the groin injury that forced him out of Cardiff's weekend match.

"Certainly, Kenny is more than hopeful and is still progressing," said assistant Houston.

"No-one knows their own body better than himself."

Miller suffered a groin injury that forced him off early in Cardiff's npower Championship defeat by Hull City, but he is working with the Scotland physios and plans to travel with the squad when they fly out for the double header on Thursday.

He looks unlikely to be risked for the clash in Vaduz, with Brighton striker Craig Mackail-Smith set to step in.

]Bell and Wallace have been added to the Scotland squad

However, with Scotland hoping to emerge from the double header with a play-off place by finishing second behind Spain in Group I, the final group game in Alicante on Tuesday looks a realistic target.

"Kenny Miller is still with us," said Chettle, who said it was be disappointing if the Scots had to do without a player who has scored 15 times in 57 internationals. "He's progressing by the day.

"Kenny came up on Saturday evening and stayed here and the difference between Saturday and Sunday and him feeling better was quite amazing.

"He is working away with the physios and hasn't joined our sessions yet.

"Saturday might be difficult, but certainly for Tuesday I have high hopes for him."

Scotland have four listed strikers in their squad, with David Goodwillie the back-up for Miller and Mackail-Smith, while Steven Naismith can also be used up front.

"We haven't really spoken about bringing anyone else in with regards to that," Houston said.

"I think it will be as you are with regards to the striker department if Kenny doesn't make it."

The former Rangers, Celtic and Bursaspor striker scored one and set up the other goal in last month's 2-2 home draw with Czech Republic but missed the following 1-0 win over Lithuania through suspension.

Chettle is confident Mackail-Smith can step in against Liechtenstein if required.

"Craig Mackail-Smith is a bit similar to Kenny - he works very hard, is very, very quick and, more importantly he is scoring goals and in very, very good form," said the coach.

Aston Villa right-back Alan Hutton has been receiving treatment for a knee injury, while Leeds winger Robert Snodgrass has an ankle problem, but both are expected to be fit.

However, Houston confirmed that Kilmarnock goalkeeper Cammy Bell had replaced Matt Gilks in the squad.

The only other call-off was Gilks' Blackpool team-mate, Stephen Crainey, who has also picked up an injury and was replaced with Rangers left-back Lee Wallace.
  • 2 weeks later...

28228.png

Cahill passes medical ahead of Leicester switch

Gary-Cahill-2-COS.jpg

nPower Championship giants Leicester have confirmed that an agreement has been reached with Bolton to bring England international Gary Cahill to the King Power stadium. Cahill passed a medical in Leicester a few hours ago and is due to sign a contract very soon. The deal will see £5,500,000 and Henrique Sereno head in the opposite direction.

"This club to be going in the right direction at the moment and I hope this will continue into the future. I look forward to playing for Leicester who are a side with plenty of talent and potential to reach dizzy heights.'' Gary Cahill.

Lighting does strike twice!

CameronJerome_2385598.jpg

Cameron Jerome scored one and created another as Leicester deservedly beat Charlton to move up to 6th in the league.

Jerome opened the scoring, with his 12th goal in 17 league games- driving in the rebound from 12 yards after Mayor's shot was blocked.

Teenage winger Stoke's low shot from 25 yards sealed the win for City, who will play Crystal Palace on Wednesday.

Team that played Charlton:

1 Benaglio

2 Coleman

3 Izaguirre

4 Tulio

5 Bramble ©

6 Gardner

7 Bacinovic

8 Abe

9 Floro Flores

10 Jerome

11 Stokes

Christopher Samba Joins Leicester

Chris-Samba-Blackburn.gif

After fighting off interest from Barcelona and Liverpool , Samba has oppted to join the Midlands club as the club promised him more first team games. The 27 year old got signed up for 7 million from portsmouth. Even though Portsmouth are currently a more stable higher tier team Samba knew Leicester had more promise. He will partner new signing Gary Cahill in the centre of defence for Leicester.

" I have always liked Leicester as a club with their spirt and love for the game , i knew one day i would move here and thanks to the people at the back they made my dreams come true."

• 1 year later...

28228.png

THE LEGEND RETURNS!

Roberto-Di-Matteo-smiles--008.jpg

Roberto Di Matteo has signed a three-year contract as Leicester manager.

The 60-year-old Englishman has been hired after Ferguson' sacking.

"I'm obviously delighted to be given the opportunity to come back to this great club," Matteo told the club website.

"Last time in the job, there is no two ways to go about it, I failed. But now there are no promises as to what to expect, so for me it was an ideal opportunity to prove I had something to offer."

"There has never been any problem with discussions or the timing. There was no need for anyone to dive in and make rash decisions.

"The fact it has only happened now does not take away from our devotion or dedication to get results.

"The place is much more stable now than it was before, the supporters have smiles on their faces and it is up to us to keep them there as long as we can.

"But we are not going to sit here and shout our mouth off about what we are going to do."

Archived