Re: CAVENAGHI, Fernando

He has started one game and has had seven subsitute appearances, netting 2 goals. Bordeaux's main strike partners are Darcheville and Chamakh, and he hasn't been able to get in past them. I have a lot of Russian friends and they hated him when he was at Spartak, they couldn't believe Bordeaux came in for him.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Looks like he is back on track again. He scored 18 goals in 30 games for Bordeaux but what is most important he is now hitting the net on almost every match. Yesterday against Anderlecht the only goal for Bordeaux, last weekend 2 goals on away game against Monaco etc.

Poor rating, only 86, makes him very cheap. I'm sure that he will go up next time.

• 3 weeks later...

sorry to bump up an old thread but im wondering what people think he will go up to in the french ratings assuming he keeps up the goal tally?

he is the 4th most played striker for bordeaux yet the second highest scorer? 9 goals from 10 games and 5 subs. he has scored 3/4 times in the last 3/4 games! and hes been playing all of the games lately.

Do people think he will get 88/89? and is he good enough to retain this/improve on this for the future?

Personally i think he's over-rated' date=' went to Russia in the South-American wave that Russia attracted but never really was looked by the national team, not a bad player, but for the money (in SM), you could buy someone with a lot more potential for the same money, IMO.....[/quote']

He might not be a player for the future, I can't confirm that because I've never seen him play, but this guys rating is only going one way and that's up. The stats don't lie:-

Ligue 1 - 15 apps - 10 starts (7 *since last rating change*) - 5 subs (1 *slrc*) - 9 goals (7 *slrc*) - 903 mins (606 *slrc* est.)

Uefa Cup - 8 apps - 5 starts - 3 subs (2 *slrc*) - 5 goals (1 *slrc*)

League Cup - 1 app - 1 start - 90 mins

French Cup - 2 apps - 1 start (1 *slrc*) - 1 sub - 1 goal - 107 mins (90 *slrc* est.)

He made an 8th starting league appearance, in which he scored 2 goals, on the Saturday of the last French rating changes. Whether they counted this game towards his rating then, I'm not sure. There's still 3 weeks until the next French changes with the possibilty of 3 more league apps. and 1 French cup app.

Personally i think he's over-rated' date=' went to Russia in the South-American wave that Russia attracted but never really was looked by the national team, not a bad player, but for the money (in SM), you could buy someone with a lot more potential for the same money, IMO.....[/quote']

I will tell you now this guy is quality.

Played for River Plate at 16 years old. Managed to keep a better than 1 in 2 scoring record.

Moved to moscow, and whilst people declared him a flop at spartak his scoring record wasnt that bad despite being in and out of the side on a constant basis, probably just better than 1 in 3 (see crouch, defoe et al) including i remember a spectacular long range effort from nearly the half way line.

Moved to Bordeaux and has struggled with injury until the last few months. Since then hasnt looked back scoring freely in all competitions.

He is a fairly complete striker, having great all round skills in most areas. Likes to drop off, but is equally happy leading the line, although he isnt the biggest of strikers.

His best ability though is his natural movement, touch and his ability to be in the right place at the right time. A commodity that is rare in strikers these days.

I would say that his rating should easily be 89, I was actually suprised that he dropped last rating change.

Finally, and most importantly, Alfio Basile has called him into the squad for Argentinas next friendly game against Greece... which in turn will give cavenaghi confidence.

I would take this play at 87 or whatever his rating is, because its going to rise defo.

I have to agree with Socratys here. Cavenaghi may not yet be the finished article but is very close. His goal record is comparable to anyone in the leagues he's played in (perhaps you could rule out his russian league exploits, but then again this league is not one to produce incredible goal-scoring feats). He's approaching 100 career goals at the tender age of 24.

Never mind the stats, he is capable of scoring with head and either foot and at his best is one of the best 'unknown' poachers around. The only reason he has not been capped yet is due to the sheer depth of quality Argentina are blessed with. He would probably walk into most international sides. If he gets hid desire of a move to Spain and plays amongst his compatriots, we may see the best of him ;)