NFL Predict 2011

andyowls

It's back for another year!

Many of you participating this year will know how this works. Each week, you are asked to pick the winner of each NFL game being played that weekend. You go head-to-head with a rival and score a point for each correct prediction, and nothing for each incorrect prediction. Whoever gets the most correct picks in your match-up wins the match. For more information, see here.

Now, this year, an alternative way of scoring NFL Predict has been suggested, and the following explanation as to how it works comes from Moodymark:

Rather than simply have a W/L/T system for predictions, I run and am involved in a few predictions leagues which are run on a pts basis.

This is how it works

Once the fixtures for that weeks game are opened up and shown(usually 16 games, in bye weeks there will be 14 games)

Each manager each week is given 10 chances to predict the strength of what they favour best these are

10pts

7pts

5pts

5pts

3pts

3pts

3pts

1pt

1pt

1pt

If an manager strongly thinks the Bears will beat the Packers, they place their 10pts on the Bears

If the manager thinks that the Rams will beat the 49ers, but not as confident as a bears win, the manager places their 7pt on the Rams

Managers pick from the 16 or 14 games each week to place their 10pts down to 1pt on whatever game/team they think.

If the Bears beat the Packers, that manager get 10pts, if the Rams beat the 49ers, that manager gets 7pts and so on and so on, If they lose their prediction they get nowt!

Put simply - over the course of the season whoever gets the most points is the winner!

So, there are two questions on the table for you to answer:

1. Are you interested in participating?

2. Which format would you prefer?

Answers on a postcard please (or just a quick reply), be sure to respond ASAP because the season kicks off on Thursday evening! Will look to get this all set-up by Wednesday evening at the latest, leaving us all 24 hours to make our picks for Week One.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: NFL Predict 2011

Count me in too Andy.

As for which idea to go with, I'm with jambo. Whilst I find Mark's something to be rather fresh and intriguing, I prefer the head-to-head, with the W/L/T format. I think it's easier, more straightforward, plus we get to do picks for all of the weeks matches, rather than spreading out our allotted point here or their, as I probably wouldn't be putting one point for each. Risk for reward init.

Something as I suggested before though Andy, in the NFL draft chat, have a butchers at these 2 sites. It'll make things a lot easier for you in that you won't have to go back and forth, looking at everyone's picks, tallying up scores, etc... Less time consuming for you is all, if you fancy doing it like last season though, you'll hear no quarrels from me, I just thought this would be easier. The downside is I checked on the NFL.com site, unfortunately they don't have NFL picks, so we'll have to use one of these other sites; yahoo or ESPN (apparently ESPN allows you go into more depth about how you want to go about picking your teams when setting the rules, something to tinker with if you want):

http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/pickem

http://games.espn.go.com/pigskin-pickem/en/frontpage

Right, I've decided to stick with the tried and tested formula. I think your idea is great Mark, but we're pushed for time in terms of setting this up so I think it would be easier if we went with what we know, maybe next year buddy.

Also, I'm going with Kylan's suggestion of using a site to submit and tally the scores. Despite being time-consuming, I enjoyed creating all those spreadsheets last year, but I no longer have the luxury of being a layabout student these days (:P) so time is more of an issue.

I've quickly set up a league on the ESPN option that Kylan provided. You'll need to quickly sign-up and then you can enter the league using this link:

http://games.espn.go.com/pigskin-pickem/en/group?groupID=17869

The password, as before, is picksix.

If there's any questions, leave them with me and I'll look into it when home from work tomorrow. I'm off to bed! Zzzzzz....

Right' date=' I've decided to stick with the tried and tested formula. I think your idea is great Mark, but we're pushed for time in terms of setting this up so I think it would be easier if we went with what we know, maybe next year buddy.

Also, I'm going with Kylan's suggestion of using a site to submit and tally the scores. Despite being time-consuming, I enjoyed creating all those spreadsheets last year, but I no longer have the luxury of being a layabout student these days (:P) so time is more of an issue.

I've quickly set up a league on the ESPN option that Kylan provided. You'll need to quickly sign-up and then you can enter the league using this link:

If there's any questions, leave them with me and I'll look into it when home from work tomorrow. I'm off to bed! Zzzzzz....

No worries at all Andy, T'was just a suggestion.

I'm in and signed up.

Right' date=' I've decided to stick with the tried and tested formula. I think your idea is great Mark, but we're pushed for time in terms of setting this up so I think it would be easier if we went with what we know, maybe next year buddy.

OhWhenTheSpurs - Signed up.

thats me signed up

are we having a group system with playoffs and the like or is it going to be a straight up league format most right come the end wins the league?

I'll look into that tonight mate.

In and signed up' date=' would it be possible to go over the rule again Andy before Thursday?[/quote']

Yes mate, will do that as well when I'm home.

Alright guys, could I just get confirmation about who's who? I need to know who I need to send PM's to inviting them to the shenanigans. Adam, I presume you're 7Fins23, for obvious reason...!

andyowls - andyowls

JackieSlater78 - ????

jambogenius - jambogenius

OhWhenTheSpurs - Kylan N17

7Fins23 - AdamG

JackTHFC - JackTHFC

ruggermad - ruggermad

donniehull - dhulldevsfans

Dobby 13 - Dobby

Number Six - NumberSix

Mikey... - Mikey

Murray Elphinstone - ????

Arfonator - Arfon

stephenmawby77 - Leamington Steve

sashaisgod - Dermo

tqhamilton - tqhamilton

Will answer the above questions later on before I go to bed, after the England game. However, if anyone would like to help me out and answer them for me, that would be of great help to me! The first one (jambo's) might take a bit of looking into.

Cheers.

Alright guys' date=' could I just get confirmation about who's who? I need to know who I need to send PM's to inviting them to the shenanigans. Adam, I presume you're 7Fins23, for obvious reason...!

[b']andyowls - andyowls

JackieSlater78 - ????

jambogenius - jambogenius

OhWhenTheSpurs - Kylan N17

7Fins23 - AdamG

JackTHFC - JackTHFC

ruggermad - ruggermad

donniehull - ????

Dobby 13 - Dobby

Number Six - NumberSix

Mikey... - Mikey

Murray Elphinstone - ????[/b]

Will answer the above questions later on before I go to bed, after the England game. However, if anyone would like to help me out and answer them for me, that would be of great help to me! The first one (jambo's) might take a bit of looking into.

Cheers.

Aye thats me!

Notice Arfon has joined up since my last post, and I have also contacted the fabled Leamington Steve to join in the action, an old-school poster who has tonight made his return to the forum after a lengthy absence. Have contacted a few others about joining up and will work more on that tomorrow night, hoping to have around 20 participants in total (currently at 14, which is very good in itself).

Will also answer those questions tomorrow night, I promise! Past my bedtime, again...!

EDIT: Crikey, I've past 7000 posts tonight and didn't even notice!

I am interested in joining this as I had done pretty well last time around. I would have loved the second option which included the points as was given at the start and would have made me think twice on sending in my list. But whatever way we do it I'd be happy to join. :)

I am interested in joining this as I had done pretty well last time around. I would have loved the second option which included the points as was given at the start and would have made me think twice on sending in my list. But whatever way we do it I'd be happy to join. :)
Count me in :D' date=' if there's still room of course.[/quote']

Well you better sign up then! Using an external site this year, see post #9 for more details.

thats me signed up

are we having a group system with playoffs and the like or is it going to be a straight up league format most right come the end wins the league?

Think it's just one big league this year mate' date=' can't find any options to have divisions and head-to-head matches like last year I'm afraid.

In and signed up, would it be possible to go over the rule again Andy before Thursday?

The rules really are simple mate. All you have to do is pick who you think will win each game, each week. When you've logged in, go to the My Entries tab and click on your username. There, you will find a list of all the matches for this week, starting with New Orleans @ Green Bay. Using this match as an example, if you think New Orleans will win, you tick their box, or you tick the Packers' box if you think Green Bay will win. See for yourself and you can't fail to understand.

Guys, as of tonight, I am the only one who has submitted their picks for this week, so get busy!!

Guys' date=' as of tonight, I am the only one who has submitted their picks for this week, so get busy!![/color']

Is this still the case, or are other people's selections just hidden from my gaze? If somebody's made their picks, could they just message to say so please?

I fear that this isn't going to be a success this year... :o