Mathieu Peybernes - Upcoming Occitan Talent

Lensois

Mathieu Peybernes

peybernes-une.jpg

Career So Far

Chop of the hair of that tiny sight of hair Peybernes has and you'd have that guy in Green Street Hooligans - you know that guy who supported Millwall, but obviously, the difference between these two individuals age is 29. Born in 1990, the soon-to-be defender Mathieu saw his first sight of the world in the fourth largest city of France - namely Toulouse. However, Peybernes never went on to represent l'téfécé, as he instead went on to represent Colombiers, a team in the suburbs of Toulouse.

You all know about the INF Clairefontane academy, right? That academy that's seen players such as Henry, Anelka and Evra graduate? Well, there are eleven other academies like that one across France. One of them lies in Castelmaurou - very closely to Toulouse. At the age of 12, Peybernes was snapped up by this academy named INF Castelmaurou. There, he worked intensely and thus, earned himself call-ups to represent the French U-18 and U-19. He was notably a part of the French U-19 team that made it to the semi-finals. Whilst he didn't manage to hold down a starting spot fully, he managed to play the full 90 minutes in 50% of the games France's games during the tournament.

After his time in Castelmaurou, Peybernes was signed by the East French outfit Sochaux. After slowly coming through the youth ranks of the Montbéliard outfit, Peybernes sat there one day on the bench of a Ligue 1 game. The date was the 2nd May 2010 and as it was an unimportant game for Sochaux (who had already secured themselves another season in Ligue 1), Peybernes did actually get some minutes - albeit in the 81st minute. Gillot continued to have some faith in Mathieu and the following season, Mathieu made the sporadic 90 minutes, but was mostly getting the odd sub-in. It was this season - under the guidance of Mehmed Baždarević - that Peybernes finally made the real break-in. After the depature of Faty, Sochaux didn't brought in anyone of notice and the fight for Faty's earlier CB spot had begun. Carlão and Peybernes were tested, Peybernes proved to me more liable than the usual DM Brazilian and suddenly, the place was his.

Charasterictic

pas-impressionne-face-a-moukandjo-le-jeune-sochalien-mathieu-peybernes-a-livre-une-partie-pleine-av.jpg

From the games I've followed his progress, I do believe Mathieu seems to be great leader on the pitch. I'd also like to add the vision for the game and his really good physics as his other strengths. He kinds of remind of the modern English centre-back in other words - he would fit in perfectly in the Premier League if he keeps on this track. Of course he does make the odd easy mistake, but he is young and do not have routine as the likes of Bréchet or Perquis.

Re: Mathieu Peybernes - Upcoming Occitan Talent

Very nice one. I add him on my teams, he's got déjà 780 minutes for FC Sochaux-Montbéliard :D Sochaux is the most conceded team in Ligue 1 with 19 goals in 9 games but never mind (The 2-6 game against Stade Rennais and 4-1 against Auxerre was unlucky), their position in the league isn't bad.

Re: Mathieu Peybernes - Upcoming Occitan Talent

nice stuff. another break out talent this season for sochaux a la Marvin Martin?

But the looks of it - yeah. We've seen Martin and Boubebouz take some big steps via Sochaux and at the moment Peybernes hasn't been a disappointment. I think it's too early to tell if he is the real deal' date=' but from what I've seen, he's got the tools to become a very good defender.

Very nice one. I add him on my teams, he's got déjà 780 minutes for FC Sochaux-Montbéliard :D Sochaux is the most conceded team in Ligue 1 with 19 goals in 9 games but never mind (The 2-6 game against Stade Rennais and 4-1 against Auxerre was unlucky), their position in the league isn't bad.

Well, they've completely reinforced their defence compared to last season. Notable defenders such as Bréchet and Faty are now either gone (Faty) or not in the starting XI (Bréchet), so I do believe it'll take some time for this new defence to ''gel''. Plus, they've got a completely new coach with a completely different thinking compared to Gillot, so it may be another factor.