FIFA Balon d'Or 2011

Gizb

Tomorrow FIFA and France Football will disclose a 23men shortlist for FIFA Ballon d’Or and 10 for the Coach of the Year for men’s football. In the day 5 of December both lists will be reduced to 3. The winner will be announced in 9 of January.

Who do you believe will be announced tomorrow? Any surprise?

Re: FIFA Balon d'Or 2011

The nominees:

Players:

Eric Abidal (France/FC Barcelona)

Sergio Agüero (Argentina/Manchester City)

Karim Benzema (France/Real Madrid)

Iker Casillas (Spain/Real Madrid)

Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal/Real Madrid)

Dani Alves (Brazil/FC Barcelona)

Samuel Eto'o (Cameroon/Anzhi)

Cesc Fabregas (Spain/FC Barcelona)

Diego Forlan (Uruguay/Inter Milan)

Andres Iniesta (Spain/FC Barcelona)

Lionel Messi (Argentina/FC Barcelona)

Thomas Müller (Germany/Bayern München)

Nani (Portugal/Manchester United)

Neymar (Brazil/FC Santos)

Mesut Özil (Germany/Real Madrid)

Gerard Pique (Spain/FC Barcelona)

Wayne Rooney (England/Manchester United)

Bastian Schweinsteiger (Germany/Bayern München)

Wesley Sneijder (Netherlands/Inter Milan)

Luis Suarez (Uruguay/FC Liverpool)

David Villa (Spain/FC Barcelona)

Xabi Alonso (Spain/Real Madrid)

Xavi (Spain/FC Barcelona)

Number ordered by home country:

Spain: 7

Germany: 3

Argentina: 2

Brazil: 2

France: 2

Portugal: 2

Uruguay: 2

Cameroon: 1

England: 1

Netherlands: 1

Number ordered by league they play in:

La Liga: 13

Premier League: 4

Bundesliga: 2

Serie A: 2

Brazilian Serie A: 1

Russian PL: 1

Coaches:

Vicente Del Bosque (Spain/National Team)

Sir Alex Ferguson (Scotland/Manchester United)

Rudi Garcia (France/OSC Lille)

Pep Guardiola (Spain/FC Barcelona)

Jürgen Klopp (Germany/Borussia Dortmund)

Joachim Löw (Germany/National Team)

Jose Mourinho (Portugal/Real Madrid)

Oscar Tabarez (Uruguay/National Team)

Andre Villas-Boas (Portugal/FC Chelsea)

Arsene Wenger (France/FC Arsenal)

Thanks timesle ;)

Honestly, for me these aren't the best 23 of this year. I am surprised to see players like Abidal( perhaps due to his fight against cancer? or French?), Eto'o(wasn't Cavani the best player of last season in Serie A? or Eto'o is on the list because he is African?), Cesc Fabregas( perhaps only because these months in Barcelona?), Forlan( perhaps only due to Copa America?..). I was expecting to see RVP, Falcao(for what he done in the 1st half of the season), Gomez perhaps instead of Benzema, Silva..

In the coachs I was expecting to see Allegri..

Just my opinion..

Thanks timesle ;)

Honestly' date=' for me these aren't the best 23 of this year. I am surprised to see players like Abidal( perhaps due to his fight against cancer? or French?), Eto'o(wasn't Cavani the best player of last season in Serie A? or Eto'o is on the list because he is African?), Cesc Fabregas( perhaps only because these months in Barcelona?), Forlan( perhaps only due to Copa America?..). I was expecting to see RVP, Falcao(for what he done in the 1st half of the season), Gomez perhaps instead of Benzema, Silva..

Just my opinion..[/quote']

I generally agree. Some names on this list are very strange. Just like you said the reasons for Abidal or Eto'o can't only be athletic ones. I also don't think Neymar should be in this list. Maybe to include a player who hasn't played in one of the European top leagues. Though he is a great player indeed, IMO there would have been better options to put down there.

Nevertheless this probably isn't too important anyway as Messi will probably win it again. I personally would rather like to see Xavi winning it.

The nominees:

Players:

Eric Abidal (France/FC Barcelona)

Sergio Agüero (Argentina/Manchester City)

Karim Benzema (France/Real Madrid)

Iker Casillas (Spain/Real Madrid)

Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal/Real Madrid)

Dani Alves (Brazil/FC Barcelona)

Samuel Eto'o (Cameroon/Anzhi)

Cesc Fabregas (Spain/FC Barcelona)

Diego Forlan (Uruguay/Inter Milan)

Andres Iniesta (Spain/FC Barcelona)

Lionel Messi (Argentina/FC Barcelona)

Thomas Müller (Germany/Bayern München)

Nani (Portugal/Manchester United)

Neymar (Brazil/FC Santos)

Mesut Özil (Germany/Real Madrid)

Gerard Pique (Spain/FC Barcelona)

Wayne Rooney (England/Manchester United)

Bastian Schweinsteiger (Germany/Bayern München)

Wesley Sneijder (Netherlands/Inter Milan)

Luis Suarez (Uruguay/FC Liverpool)

David Villa (Spain/FC Barcelona)

Xabi Alonso (Spain/Real Madrid)

Xavi (Spain/FC Barcelona)

Number ordered by home country:

Spain: 7

Germany: 3

Argentina: 2

Brazil: 2

France: 2

Portugal: 2

Uruguay: 2

Cameroon: 1

England: 1

Netherlands: 1

Number ordered by league they play in:

La Liga: 13

Premier League: 4

Bundesliga: 2

Serie A: 2

Brazilian Serie A: 1

Russian PL: 1

Coaches:

Vicente Del Bosque (Spain/National Team)

Sir Alex Ferguson (Scotland/Manchester United)

Rudi Garcia (France/OSC Lille)

Pep Guardiola (Spain/FC Barcelona)

Jürgen Klopp (Germany/Borussia Dortmund)

Joachim Löw (Germany/National Team)

Jose Mourinho (Portugal/Real Madrid)

Oscar Tabarez (Uruguay/National Team)

Andre Villas-Boas (Portugal/FC Chelsea)

Arsene Wenger (France/FC Arsenal)

Yes,yes yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alonso,Suarez,Neymar are their!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

We all know who's gonna occupy the first two spots:p:rolleyes:

Abidal and Forlan being their is a pathetic joke especially when players like Hazard deserve to be their.

Ronaldo.

Would be very interesting to see how Messi gets on in a tougher league.

Haha why would he want to come to rainy old England when he can be part of such a phenomenal generation of footballers in sunny spain?!

The reason we see him perform such wonders for Barca is because the likes of Xavi, Iniesta are like brothers to him, they grow up with each other, played and learnt football together, and he feels more confident around them, i don't give a monkeys how he performs for Argentina, all i care about is how week in week out he absolutely shreds defenses to bits, also does it on the highest level in the champions league.

Imo though we sould have 3 different Balon awards, 1 for solely defenders, 1 for midfielders and 1 for attackers, but i agrre with Di Natale, for now it should just be called Messi D'or! :P

EDIT your ava says it all, ronaldo fanboy :P

Ronaldo.

Would be very interesting to see how Messi gets on in a tougher league.

I've seen both Messi and Ronaldo play quite a bit and I dont think Ronaldo is anywhere near as good as Messi. He might be second behind Messi but he will never be up to the standard that he is.

As for the tougher league, if you mean the Prem I dont think it would make much difference. The Spanish league is the second best in the world and he tears that up with ease and I think the Prem would be the same.

It going to be Messi who wins it' date=' i even put my house on it as everyone is blinded by him

Evenknow Ronaldo has scored 36 goals this calendar year which is more then anyone

Since joining Real Madrid, Ronaldo scored 103 goals in 106 games, that is not human, nearly a goal a game[/quote']

Ronaldo scores more but 50% are all tap ins

Messi Scores less but gives more to a team than Ronaldo.

It going to be Messi who wins it' date=' i even put my house on it as everyone is blinded by him

Evenknow Ronaldo has scored 36 goals this calendar year which is more then anyone

Since joining Real Madrid, Ronaldo scored 103 goals in 106 games, that is not human, nearly a goal a game[/quote']

By your logic Rvp should win it for his goal a game in 2011 in a very poor Arsenal side. Plus your blinded by ronaldo.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks timesle ;)

Honestly' date=' for me these aren't the best 23 of this year. I am surprised to see players like Abidal( perhaps due to his fight against cancer? or French?), Eto'o(wasn't Cavani the best player of last season in Serie A? or Eto'o is on the list because he is African?), Cesc Fabregas( perhaps only because these months in Barcelona?), Forlan( perhaps only due to Copa America?..). I was expecting to see RVP, Falcao(for what he done in the 1st half of the season), Gomez perhaps instead of Benzema, Silva..

Just my opinion..[/quote']

This is not only to Gizb, but also to all others complaining about the list. You guys are complaining too much, as if the expertise of the selectors was always just a conspiracy and your opinion was the revelation of the truth. I'm not going to say that the list is indisputable, but instead of just going all angry about "wrong choices" one could think about how are they justified.

Eto'o was indubitably Inter's best player last season, Inter having anyway quite strong season once again. In addition to what he did in Serie A, he scored 8 goals and 5 assists in 11 CL games with some magical moments, most notably against Bayern. He also scored twice in the Italian Cup final. He was injured during parts of the season, but there is no doubt he was amazing whenever he was on the pitch. Don't forget that he also shines for Cameroon. Winning this price, as winning any price, is much harder if you're African. Eto'o, in my humble opinion, should have won this price before, at the very least he should have been in the top 3 2006. That of course doesn't mean that he should win it this time, but thinking that he is there because he is African is...

Same goes for Abidal. He was injured for a while, but was a key player in Barcelona's end season when he came back. We don't always appreciate it enough, but he plays excellently for Barcelona. Opinions are one matter so it's better to take a look at stats. Abidal has been in Castrol Rankings (that are based on accurate and detailed stats and although something is missing from a mere statistical analysis, it nevertheless is suggestive of the actual performances of the players, more than the opinions of fans) top 20 ever since last spring, ending the season 2010/2011 as 10th and currently being 7th, second in defenders only to team mate Piqué and third in Barcelona, only Messi being ahead of them. It was obvious that many Barcelona players would be there, Abidal shouldn't be the last on the list. I think right players were chosen from Barcelona, those who were most elementary for the double. People rarely notice it, but the key to a strong, attacking possession game that Barcelona plays is a defence line that is able to rise up and support the attack. Abidal excels in this and is important part of Barcelona's success. Two excellent competitors were bought for him, Adriano and Maxwell, but still Abidal kept playing all the important matches if he just was able, even when he was still slightly injured Pep kept on playing him. That should tell you enough.

These were the two most contested and to me they in particular seem to be extremely justifiable by sportive reasons alone. I'd like to remind you, that all too often the picks are criticized for the reason that players are not in top form when selected. However, the selection reflects the performances during last year, so their current form or where they play now, should be a non-factor. Let's look at the rest then.

Somebody mentioned Neymar. Just stats wise, he has been a beast in South America. In addition, he is becoming the "YouTube Player of the Year" due to his amazing performances. Now, if this is a worldwide award, we should not simply think that if he doesn't play in Europe it doesn't count. What I know, Neymar destroyed Brazilian league with his skills, was the top scorer for his NT with 7 goals during 2011, and scored 6 goals in Libertadores, including one in the final that his club Santos won. So, I'm not exactly surprised that he made it to the list.

Forlan must be there because of his Copa America performances, and maybe we should be ok with that despite of him not showing all that much for his team. I can't find any other justification for this, but perhaps the Copa is enough. And perhaps it should be enough.

Fabregas, that's surprising and hard to justify, since he was injured for most of the year. It really beats me to find the reason why he got there. Somebody mentioned that rather Nasri, I agree, because it was him who took the responsibilities of playmaking in Arsenal last season.

Benzema, take in count the international performances, he scored France's way through the EC qualifications. Not only goals, also assists. He has been France's only indisputable starter aside from Lloris. Also, great second part of the season in La Liga and in CL. Was second in Castrol Rankings at some point during the spring, still is 4th. Really excellent spring 2011 from him. Real Madrid did very well, so it is just logical to nominate players from there and Benzema was the starting striker.

Great players are always left out of this. Let's pick a few mentioned ones and give some justifications:

Gomez, I agree that he has been red hot, but maybe there are two reasons: 1. the fact that Bayern didn't do that well in CL undermined his chances; 2. he is a kind of simply scoring forward and I haven't heard even Bayern fans arguing that he would be a world top striker. He is, with due all respect, clumsy and does one thing and one thing alone: scoring from short distance. He is superb in that, very good for a team like Bayern, but I also understand why he doesn't easily make it to top of any lists aside from scoring charts. However, I still think picking him would have been easily justifiable and it is kind of hard to objectively justify leaving him out of the list. In particular as he has been in top 11 for a year now in Castrol rankings, and in fact the 2nd for some while now. This suggests simply that his overall stats are excellent. Personally, I would have picked him (for example, over Fabregas).

Hazard, ok, selected the best player of Ligue 1, but showed precisely nothing on the international stage. Moreover, his selection as the best of Ligue 1 was very disputable due to him actually being very inefficient throughout the season. Amazing skills, yes, but end product, very little.

Cavani, bit of the same thing, nothing shown in the top international level. Nobody has ever won this for domestic performances alone, to my knowledge at least. Ok, nomination is a different thing, but still, world is full of great footballers, you expect them to show that against each other in international football before they can have any claims for being the best.

Nasri, well, he was amazing for Arsenal, so this is a hard case. He wasn't all that good for France though, but neither was Rooney for England, and getting to play for his National Team hardly is reason to drop a player from the list. Maybe because Arsenal truly did not have a great season? Or maybe because he is French? It is particularly hard to see why he wasn't picked before Fabregas, because these players are fully comparable, playing in the same team, in the same role, and Nasri quite clearly had a stronger season, Fabregas being injured for most of it. Arsenal's bad season should have caused Fabregas not to be nominated as well, shouldn't it? I can hardly imagine that the short time as a substitute for Barcelona put Fabregas ahead of Nasri and Robin Van Persie. Maybe the fact that still, in the end of the season, it was Fabregas who was the no. 1 for the play maker position that both Nasri and Fabregas prefer, affected the decision.

RVP, then again, was injured during a too large part of the season. With his efficiency, he could even win this price if he played one full season. And maybe Arsenal could win a title if Van Persie played one full season. But in the actual reality, he did very little outside EPL during last year. Only three matches in CL, no mentionable international scoring (please, 4 of his goals were against San Marino). Arsenal's generally bad season must have undermined the chances of both RVP and Nasri. However, that makes Forlan's choice a bit more suspect: shouldn't RVP been chosen before Forlan? Yeah, perhaps, but let's remember the Copa - RVP had no Copa. Then, another question: why not RVP instead of Rooney? Let's be real, Rooney had a terrible season and RVP hardly can fall second in this comparison. One answer is, that Rooney played in CL finals. Then again, so did Giggs, who was much more a reason to them both playing there.

Also ahead of Forlan could perhaps be Falcao, some suggest. Maybe, but generally, he didn't play in CL and Colombia didn't do that well in Copa. Also he only scored against Bolivia in international competitions. Maybe for his goals in EL? That is an argument, but I agree that scoring in EL just isn't the same as scoring in CL, or even the same as scoring in a top domestic league. And not as good as scoring in Copa. On the other hand, Forlan didn't score that much in Copa, but I take it that he was the player of the tournament so maybe that's the argument for Forlan that Falcao doesn't have.

Silva, well, precisely the current form is a little factor. Silva was not amongst the 23, not perhaps even amongst the 123 best players of season 2010/2011. He hardly played for Spain, he didn't get any CL football, he wasn't too good even in EPL or EL. It was arguably his worst season in long time, if not ever, so picking him for the Ballon d'Or now would have been odd and show lack of reflection from the board. Again, a piece of statistics: in the Castrol Rankings, Silva hasn't been in top 100 during whole 2011. There's something that remains missed by a statistical analysis, of course, but it also reflects the fact that he has been in a top form for a very short period that had little to do with the relevant time period. Let's remember, that when he was in Valencia, he frequented the top 20 and during the season 2010/2011 he dropped even out of top 200 at worst. He will probably get back to top 20 within one year time and if so, the performances that would get him there are most likely to be reflected in the nomination of 2012 Ballon d'Or candidates, but this particular year was not good at all from him.

• 3 weeks later...

The winner of FIFA Balon d'Or 2011 will be one of Cristiano Ronaldo, Messi or Xavi.

The FIFA World Coach of the Year prize for Men’s Football will be between Ferguson, Guardiola and Mourinho.

The FIFA Puskás award for the “most beautiful'' goal of the year will be between Messi, Neymar and Rooney.

The winner of FIFA Balon d'Or 2011 will be one of Cristiano Ronaldo' date=' Messi or Xavi.[/b']

The FIFA World Coach of the Year prize for Men’s Football will be between Ferguson, Guardiola and Mourinho.

The FIFA Puskás award for the “most beautiful'' goal of the year will be between Messi, Neymar and Rooney.

Really quite annoyed tbh - Michael Carrick always gets overlooked ahead of those darn foreigners!......................

I've seen both Messi and Ronaldo play quite a bit and I dont think Ronaldo is anywhere near as good as Messi. He might be second behind Messi but he will never be up to the standard that he is.

As for the tougher league' date=' if you mean the Prem I dont think it would make much difference. The Spanish league is the second best in the world and he tears that up with ease and I think the Prem would be the same.[/quote']

Spainish defenders wouldnt qualify as holding midfielders in most English teams, Messin wouldnt be half as effective in England.