Sign in to follow this  
bryan

Rep points???

Have I been studying too long or did I see something about rep points on the forum? :confused:Or maybe I'm just going crazy :(

I'm sure that I did, I think it was like Adams idea of the karma system :D

It was a little green box that stated your rep points and it had a little silver thing next to it where you could give someone a rep point.

I also noticed that they have updated the members list so it now shows the date that a person joined the forum and their profile picture. I think SM might be adding stuff to the forum.

Please tell me someone else saw it or I'm going to look crazy :(

Re: Rep points???

Have I been studying too long or did I see something about rep points on the forum? :confused:Or maybe I'm just going crazy :(

I'm sure that I did' date=' I think it was like Adams idea of the karma system :D

It was a little green box that stated your rep points and it had a little silver thing next to it where you could give someone a rep point.

I also noticed that they have updated the members list so it now shows the date that a person joined the forum and their profile picture. I think SM might be adding stuff to the forum.

Please tell me someone else saw it or I'm going to look crazy :([/quote']

this news is new to me aswell!

Have I been studying too long or did I see something about rep points on the forum? Or maybe I'm just going crazy :(

I'm sure that I did' date=' I think it was like Adams idea of the karma system :D

Please tell me someone else saw it or I'm going to look crazy :([/quote']

However much id like this to be true , i think your going crazy :( i cant see anything

However much id like this to be true ' date=' i think your going crazy :( i cant see anything[/quote']

Yeah it's not here now but it was here at about the back of 3 in the morning :)

I'm still confident that I have my sanity. Hopefully the thing will come back to prove it :D

It is not you going crazy Bryan. I have been fiddling with this today, and it is now setup.

You can now rate any user's post! :D

Rating a post will add/reduce the person who posted it's reputation. How much it is increased/decreased by is based on your Rep Power (you can see this near to your post count).

Your rep power depends on how long you have been on forum, how many posts, and the points other people give you.

Hope that is clear. :) This should discourage spamming. Post count should be disappearing soon too, providing I don't get a life and go out this evening (fat chance).

It is not you going crazy Bryan. I have been fiddling with this today' date=' and it is now setup.[/quote']

Look at the date I started this thread, this has been getting planned for some time now :rolleyes:

And I have been thinking I was crazy for a month :( cheers for that :rolleyes: lol

Rating a post will add/reduce the person who posted it's reputation. How much it is increased/decreased by is based on your Rep Power (you can see this near to your post count).

After reading your post again, does the above mean that we can also take away a rep power point thing for a bad post?

Also when you are done adding/removing things from the forum, maybe a post about why/when a person should give someone else a rep power point?

Never said earlier but I think it's a good addition to the forum, nice job teb :)

Here is some more info:

Register Date Factor

For every 365 days, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

Post Count Factor

For every 1000 posts, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

Reputation Point Factor

For every 100 points of reputation, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

So, for instance, I have a rep power of 7. This is built up from me having less than 6000 posts (5000-5999 gives me 5 points of reputation altering power) plus me having joined the forum just over 2 years ago (730-1094 days gives me 2 points of reputation altering power). So when I give a positive response to a post i add 7 rep points to the user in question.

I currently have 12 rep points. This is 10 as we all start with, plus 2 points from the users who have given me positive comments twice (both had a rep altering power of 1, as opposed to my 7 as above).

When I reach 50 rep points, the message you get when hovering over the green rep icon will change.

Minimum Post Count

How many posts must a user have before his reputation hits count on others? - 50

Minimum Reputation Count

How much reputation must a user have before his reputation hits count on others? - 10

Daily Reputation Clicks Limit

How many reputation clicks can a user give over each 24 hour period? Administrators are exempt from this limit. -20

Reputation User Spread

How many different users must you give reputation to before you can hit the same person again? Administrators are exempt from this limit. -10Hopefully that speaks for itself. Hitting just refers to the act of giving reputation, not violence. :)

I can change any of the numbers above, just give me good reason to and I shall.

As for why and when you should leave feedback, it is really down to you. I would suggest just giving positive feedback if you agree with what has been said or think the user has made a good point, or just feel it is a high quality post.

I would leave negative sparingly and only if you disagree/think they have made a poor case, and refrain from leaving any if you are not really bothered. It should NOT be used to grade people on whether they have posted in the right place etc.

I can delete feedback and I believe people should be able to see the feedback they have received, so if any is left unjustly it can be removed. If people are offensive with negative feedback they won't be leaving more once I hear of it. :)

I clicked on my little silver thing (not to see if I could give myself a rep thing lol) and it says that I have 14 rep power points :confused:

But next to my little green thing it says I have 2, I think I have 2 but I don't know why it says 14 :confused:

Rep power and rep level are separate.

Your rep power is 2 - you can give people 2 points when commenting on their post. This number is computed from time on forum and number of posts.

Rep level is 10 as standard, so you have 10, plus 4 points from people giving good feedback on your posts, making 14.

For every 100 rep points you build, rep power will increase by 1. So, rep power is kind of the one to go by, I don't think rep level is visible to others anyway and it just serves as a scoring system, rep power is the... well... power.

This is explained in a bit more detail (i hope) in my previous post.

Here is some more info:

Register Date Factor

For every 365 days' date=' users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

Post Count Factor

For every 1000 posts, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

Reputation Point Factor

For every 100 points of reputation, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.[/i']

So, for instance, I have a rep power of 7. This is built up from me having less than 6000 posts (5000-5999 gives me 5 points of reputation altering power) plus me having joined the forum just over 2 years ago (730-1094 days gives me 2 points of reputation altering power). So when I give a positive response to a post i add 7 rep points to the user in question.

I currently have 12 rep points. This is 10 as we all start with, plus 2 points from the users who have given me positive comments twice (both had a rep altering power of 1, as opposed to my 7 as above).

When I reach 50 rep points, the message you get when hovering over the green rep icon will change.

Minimum Post Count

How many posts must a user have before his reputation hits count on others? - 50

Minimum Reputation Count

How much reputation must a user have before his reputation hits count on others? - 10

Daily Reputation Clicks Limit

How many reputation clicks can a user give over each 24 hour period? Administrators are exempt from this limit. -20

Reputation User Spread

How many different users must you give reputation to before you can hit the same person again? Administrators are exempt from this limit. -10Hopefully that speaks for itself. Hitting just refers to the act of giving reputation, not violence. :)

I can change any of the numbers above, just give me good reason to and I shall.

As for why and when you should leave feedback, it is really down to you. I would suggest just giving positive feedback if you agree with what has been said or think the user has made a good point, or just feel it is a high quality post.

I would leave negative sparingly and only if you disagree/think they have made a poor case, and refrain from leaving any if you are not really bothered. It should NOT be used to grade people on whether they have posted in the right place etc.

I can delete feedback and I believe people should be able to see the feedback they have received, so if any is left unjustly it can be removed. If people are offensive with negative feedback they won't be leaving more once I hear of it. :)

Call me think Teb but I'm not sure I totally understand this? It say rep power 1 next to my name and rep power 7 next to yours but you say you have a rep rating of 12.....I can't see this. Also how do we leave positive/negative feedback? Sorry to be a pain!:confused:

Call me think Teb but I'm not sure I totally understand this? It say rep power 1 next to my name and rep power 7 next to yours but you say you have a rep rating of 12.....I can't see this. Also how do we leave positive/negative feedback? Sorry to be a pain!:confused:
I mentioned this a moment ago, rep level and rep power is separate. Don't worry about rep level, you wont see it unless trying to give yourself feedback like Bryan! :)

Rep power is 1 for you and 7 for me as you said.

There is a symbol of some silver scales on the top right of all posts, click this to give feedback on that post.

I mentioned this a moment ago' date=' rep level and rep power is separate. Don't worry about rep level, you wont see it unless trying to give yourself feedback like Bryan! :)

Rep power is 1 for you and 7 for me as you said.

There is a symbol of some silver scales on the top right of all posts, click this to give feedback on that post.[/quote']

Ok thank you, sort of clears things up. I'm sure I will understand completely in time.:D

Well, if anyone is confused, please tell me more about which bit is confusing you, as (as they used to say at school) if you don't know, you are probably not the only one. :D

You can see Rep Level at the bottom of your user cp, but I wouldn't worry about that. High is good, every 100 it will affect your Rep Power which is displayed on your posts, and which is what determines how much you impact on other people's rep levels.

To surmise:

1) Rep level - determined by feedback received.

2) Rep power - determined by rep level, join date, posts.

i) Join date - 1 rep power point for every 365 days

ii) Posts - 1 rep power point for every 1000 posts

iii) Rep level - 1 rep power point for every 100 rep points awarded

3) Number of rep points you can award is the figure shown as Rep Power.

Hope that hasn't made things more confusing!!

Teb i did that yoke on your post below & wrote a comment

1) Can you see that comment & if some1 makes a comment about me will i see it?

2) Will i see what rating certain people have giving me?

3)Were can i see my yoke in USER CP cant find it.

4) How long a message can you write in the comment section when you Approve/Dissaprove

Teb i did that yoke on your post below & wrote a comment

1) Can you see that comment & if some1 makes a comment about me will i see it?

2) Will i see what rating certain people have giving me?

3)Were can i see my yoke in USER CP cant find it.

4) How long a message can you write in the comment section when you Approve/Dissaprove

Yoke? :confused:

1) Yes, look at the bottom of User CP.

2) They can only award points based on their rep power, they don't get to choose. So, no, you can't really see it, but you could find out easily enough if you cared to.

3) Yoke? :confused: Again? :confused:

4) Longer than would ever be necessary, I don't know of their being a limit.

Sounds like you did alot of work into this.What is to stop a guy from trolling threw a members post giving neg points to another forum member and crushing his rep?

Im sure the mods will notice any spam voters also you can olny post 1 vote per person for every 20 people so if i vote you now must vote 19 more people befor i can bote you again (i think)

does this renew daily so if i only vote 5 people today will i be able to vote the same 5 (if i want ) again tommorow.

This could cause problims if say (i wanted to) vote someone down or up but i couldent cause i had to vote another 15 poeple b4 i got back to the person i origianlly voted for again this could cause me to waste my 19 votes on spam just to get back to the 1?

or have i lost the road lol

Sounds like you did alot of work into this.What is to stop a guy from trolling threw a members post giving neg points to another forum member and crushing his rep?

You have to post on a certain number of people before giving someone feedback again. For instance, try giving me feedback for my last two posts, it shouldn't work. This won't change with the start of a new day. Also, people can see their comments received, any funny business just report it and I will reverse it and the impact from the points given/taken.

As for spam voting, this also would be unwise as you can only vote so many times a day so would be shooting yourself in the foot.

Im sure the mods will notice any spam voters also you can olny post 1 vote per person for every 20 people so if i vote you now must vote 19 more people befor i can bote you again (i think)

does this renew daily so if i only vote 5 people today will i be able to vote the same 5 (if i want ) again tommorow.

This could cause problims if say (i wanted to) vote someone down or up but i couldent cause i had to vote another 15 poeple b4 i got back to the person i origianlly voted for again this could cause me to waste my 19 votes on spam just to get back to the 1?

or have i lost the road lol

Trying to figure out what you said there, i thought i had it figured out from what teb wrote but now what you just wroite has thrown me for a loop, will have to reread the whole thread again