arrows

monsour

Re: arrows

if someone can explain the exact impact of the arrows in the formations

umm I think it tells your players what runs to make and thus makes your formation a bit more flexible. For example a CM with an arrow towards the defense will tend to cover the defense more than ordinary, same with arrows telling wing players to move along the line or move inside when attacking.

Hope that helps.

yeah this is a pretty interesting question as ive always wondered exactly what impact these arrows actually have

for example does it mean they make more runs in said direction(like mentioned by arampage)

or does it just change the actual starting position of the player and have no actual effect on the mentioned above reasoning

you know like instead of playing a conventional 4-4-2

does it mean (with an arrow say on one of the middle players cm)

it moves it too a

gk

rb--cb--cb--lb

rm--cm-----lm

---cm

cf--cf

i did have a look around when i first joined if there was any set in stone explaination but couldn't find one, i do think it would be a good idea if sm actually clarified what each tactic/choice did in regards to effecting the match engine as such

like for example a forward arrow means you player will make more forward runs

or a forward arrow means your player now plays from this altered position instead of the default one

i fully understand how it can all be interpretated to mean different things by different people but surely it has to mean a speciifc thing when it comes to how there "game" registers the markers because there is one game engine so it must equate to the same thing unless of course it is just a pretty placebo to make the match/game engine seem more complex than it actually is

yeah this is a pretty interesting question as ive always wondered exactly what impact these arrows actually have

for example does it mean they make more runs in said direction(like mentioned by arampage)

or does it just change the actual starting position of the player and have no actual effect on the mentioned above reasoning

you know like instead of playing a conventional 4-4-2

does it mean (with an arrow say on one of the middle players cm)

it moves it too a

gk

rb--cb--cb--lb

rm--cm-----lm

---cm

cf--cf

i did have a look around when i first joined if there was any set in stone explaination but couldn't find one' date=' i do think it would be a good idea if sm actually clarified what each tactic/choice did in regards to effecting the match engine as such

like for example a forward arrow means you player will make more forward runs

or a forward arrow means your player now plays from this altered position instead of the default one

i fully understand how it can all be interpretated to mean different things by different people but surely it has to mean a speciifc thing when it comes to how there "game" registers the markers because there is one game engine so it must equate to the same thing unless of course it is just a pretty placebo to make the match/game engine seem more complex than it actually is[/font']

They give attacking or defensive bonuses to players.

If you set a player to run forward he will make more forward runs but this will weaken his position defensively.

And vice versa.

-tebthereb from help desk http://www.soccermanager.com/help.php?action=view&qid=810&q=arrows

They give attacking or defensive bonuses to players.

If you set a player to run forward he will make more forward runs but this will weaken his position defensively.

And vice versa.

-tebthereb from help desk http://www.soccermanager.com/help.php?action=view&qid=810&q=arrows

yeah ive saw that before but isn't that just his interpretation of how they work

because isn't the guy who posted that just a normal customer of the game and not an actual programmer?

I guess like a lot of the game engine mechanics its shrouded in mystery.

precisiely why i think they(gameowners/creators/programmers whatever you want to call them) should state what each thing actually does i mean when you think about it' date=' it's not really asking that much,

you know a customer asking what a product actually does instead of it being based on guess work off there personal use of the product, because unless if your the one that set it up all theories are, are just that really theories

and by doing this it might clear up alot of issues that people do currently have with the match engine,

because if you don't fully know how something works of course your going to be slightly confused with whatever results it gives out

again though if these are actually stated somewhere in the ex.forums then i must just not be looking in the right place when it comes to searching and i will be the first to say i'm not exactly the best at navigating the inner workings of websites etc.

so i mean if anyone has got a direct link or could point these queries out i'd be very grateful its just ive had no luck in finding them at all

[/font']

• 1 month later...

I find the lack of clear explanation of arrows frustrating too.

I've been experimenting using arrows to adjust positions on formations that aren't exactly how I want them, since SM doesn't allow real freedom in positioning players. However, I'm not at all sure that repositioning what happens. I just got demolished 7-0 by a similarly rated team that pushed its wing midfielders forward when I pushed my fullbacks up. The reason I pushed my backs up was (just like a real life coach would instruct) to play DEFENSIVELY further up the field towards the halfline, exactly for the purpose of denying space to their wing midfielders. However, I'm now of the opinion that the engine interpreted my fullbacks forward arrows as more attack and less defense, meaning that the opposition now had free reign in the space behind them. That was not at ALL my intention.

Without a guide to clearly establish how arrows affect gameplay, they are pretty useless, unless something emerges through trial and error. Huge negative for this game, in my opinion. For now, I'm going to have to assume, as was posted above, that forward arrows means attacking intention, and back arrows means defensive intention. What do sideways and diagonal arrows do? Hell if anyone knows.

You may also have noticed that sometimes you can't "arrow" a player to a spot because another player is already in that spot (even if you have that player arrowed to a different location). Another game flaw that makes no sense, and just looks like sloppy programming.

Would respectfully disagree-if everything is documented then whats the use of a manager-in that you lose a vital part of the game -the ability to personalise your team while figuring out what works and what does not. That's the real challenge in SM.

Otherwise you would have managers just posting that they need tactics/formations/arrows/prematch instructions on the forum for their respective teams and the SM community now becomes the manager.

What fun is that?:rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

Arrows.

I think it averages/adds the player's rating across the positions/area he is in. Pretty sure that the match engine works on averages, average of all defenders, midfielders, and forwards (to keep it simple, and why a red card makes little difference).

My take on arrows is that if a 93 rated player runs from midfield towards the 2 90 rated forwards the 'forward' average increases from either 90 to 91 (273/3) or increases by a lesser amount to spread his rating across the position he's in to the position he's heading to.

I guess sideward arrows indicated that the match engine works on left/middle/right lines as well as defence/midfield/attack ones.

Just my guess.

Arrows.

• 4 weeks later...

Arrows.

I think it averages/adds the player's rating across the positions/area he is in. Pretty sure that the match engine works on averages' date=' average of all defenders, midfielders, and forwards (to keep it simple, and why a red card makes little difference).

My take on arrows is that if a 93 rated player runs from midfield towards the 2 90 rated forwards the 'forward' average increases from either 90 to 91 (273/3) or increases by a lesser amount to spread his rating across the position he's in to the position he's heading to.

I guess sideward arrows indicated that the match engine works on left/middle/right lines as well as defence/midfield/attack ones.

Just my guess.

Arrows.[/quote']

Yeah, I also suspect it's something along those lines.

• 1 month later...