Sign in to follow this  
Frozy

The Official NBA Thread

Re: The Official NBA Thread

bg_nba2008.jpg

Ok let's do this!

Todays Headlines:

Lockout is finally over

The NBA owners and Players association have finally agreed to a new callective bargaining agreement which will last for 10 years, although both sides have an opt out clause after 6 years if they vote 25-5 in favour of ending the agreement early.

The lockout has seen delays to the NBA season which will now start on December 25th. The original tip off for the season was supposed to be around 2 months ago.

The lockout lasted for 5 months.

Paul deal a no go.

Trade rumours have heated up since the lockout ended and one man that was destined to be on the move was New Orleans star Point Guard Chris Paul. Rumours were that a deal was set in place but the league have had to pull the plug on the deal. As the Hornets are currently owned by the NBA other team owners complained about the potential deal saying the Hornets shouldn't be dealing with anyone right now.

Chris-Paul.jpg

The deal WOULD have been:

Lakers get: G Chris Paul

Hornets get: F Luis Scola, G Kevin Martin, G Goran Dragic, 1st and second round picks

Rockets get: F/C Pau Gasol

Chicago searching for that 2 guard.

The Bulls biggest weakness last season, finding someone not named Derrick Rose that could score the ball. The MVP last season poured in an impressive 25ppg last season (27.1 in the play-offs) but the others struggled to assist him. With Keith Bogans playing a starting role alongside Rose, you can see the problems they had at the 2 guard spot.

200px-Chicago_Bulls_logo.svg.png

Step up Jamal Crawford, or Vince Carter, or Jason Richardson, or even Caron Butler. The Bulls have plenty of options this pre-season to bring in that coveted shooting guard but with only a mid-level exception to offer they must choose wisely and make sure they sell to a potential suitor just what the Bulls are about. That should be no issue considering they hold last season's best record in the league.

It should be interested watching over the next few days as we wait to see exactly who the Bulls wind up with.

Battier to play for Heat.

Shane Battier has revealed on Twitter that he wants to play for the Miami Heat this season. Battier is still a strong player in the NBA and surprisingly is a 38% shooter from behind the 3 point line.

Shane-Battier.jpg

A player he may end up on the same team as this season is Mario Chalmers. Chalmers played for the Heat last season but has made it clear he wants to be a starter this season if he's to continue at the Eastern Conference team.

Guest Blitzkrieg

Nice, I gamble a lot on NBA as well, potentially even more than on football. ESPN's coverage is always good for predictions, although you have to take their word with a pinch of salt.

I heard the first big transfer is agreed!

Chris Paul moves to the Lakers. That is fantastic really.

Going to New Orleans are Gasol and Odom, but there is a twist.

Houston joins this deal and will send three players (one of which is Scola) to New Orleans for Gasol.

So, to summarise:

Lakers: Get Paul, lost Gasol and Odom

New Orleans: Get Odom and three Houston players, lost Paul

Rockets: Get Gasol, lost three players

Just read the other post, oops :D

That game from Jennings filled me with so much hope that we had a future Hall Of Famer on our hands. Probably expected way too much too soon.

Here's one of the greatest but also saddest memories of mine as a Chicago Bulls fan.

PRCTp57LQro

'The Shot'

Michael Jordan's last shot for Chicago before his retirement. This shot won the Bulls their 6th NBA title. Man he was special to watch, even as a little kid I could see how amazing this guy was.

Chicago+Bulls+players.jpg

Best there was, best there is, best there ever will be.

(sorry the pic is a bit big but wow what a team! Jordan, Rodman and Pippen!)

MJ the living Legend :)

The question on my mind during this lockout was will this affect Kobe becoming an all-time scorer in the NBA which I then expect to be followed by LeBron.

Here's the current top 10.

1. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 38,387

2. Karl Malone 36,928

3. Michael Jordan 32,292

4. Wilt Chamberlain 31,419

5. Shaquille O'Neal 28,596

6. Kobe Bryant 27,868

7. Moses Malone 27,409

8. Elvin Hayes 27,313

9. Hakeem Olajuwon 26,946

10. Oscar Robertson 26,710

I actually feared more for Kobe If the lockout continued for the whole season, but with this season having 66 games I'd expect Kobe to score around 1500 points this season. Which will put him just around 9000 short going into next season.

He will then be 32 years old, and will start scoring less every year. Let's say 1800 average for the next 5 seasons (which would require him to still score a lot at older age) would bring exactly 9000. He would be 37 then. He may always score less than 9000 or may even retire before he's 37, but knowing his love for the game I don't think he would. It's a very interesting topic for me as this is basically analysing the history of the NBA. Malone obviously had that chance but decided to call it quits, but will Kobe make it?

And as I said before, It's only the matter of time before LeBron makes it, him being the youngest scorer to score every point until now.

Kobe + LeBron are absolute beasts! :)

kobe.jpg

f8fb.jpg

Todays Headlines

Arenas Waived By Wizards

Thanks to part of the new bargaining agreement the Washington Wizards today terminated their contract with veteran guard Gilbert Arenas. Arenas played just 49 times last season and was owed $62m over the space of the next 3 years.

250px-ArenasOrlando.jpg

Arenas is the first person to fall victim of the new amnesty prevision but it's expected he won't be the last.

Roy May Retire

Portlands 5 year veteran Brandon Roy may be forced to quit the game thanks to his persistent knee troubles. Reports are sketchy but it does indeed seem likely that Roy will seek medical retirement in the coming days.

Brandon-Roy.jpg

The reports say the complete opposite to statements made on Monday that Roy was feeling healthy and ready to help the team. The Trail Blazers and Roy's agent both rejected chances to comment.

Hamilton to leave Pistons

Richard 'Rip' Hamilton is reportedly being bought out of his contract with the Detroit Pistons. Terms of the buyout are still being negotiated but sources close to the deal say Hamilton will leave the team shortly.

rip-hamilton-allstar2006.jpg?v0

Hamilton has been at the Pistons since 2002 and was part of their title winning team of 2004.

Paul Deal Back On?

Rumours that Chris Paul may soon be leaving New Orleans are once again on. The original deal with the Lakers and Houston may still happen but other alternatives are being discussed.

ChrisPaul.jpg

The deal is now set to include Lamar Odom who apparently showed up to training camp late. He also didn't suit up and left early.

Commissioner David Stern spoke about the situation saying:

"Since the NBA purchased the New Orleans Hornets, final responsibility for significant management decisions lies with the Commissioner’s Office in consultation with team chairman Jac Sperling. All decisions are made on the basis of what is in the best interests of the Hornets. In the case of the trade proposal that was made to the Hornets for Chris Paul, we decided, free from the influence of other NBA owners, that the team was better served with Chris in a Hornets uniform than by the outcome of the terms of that trade"

Use of the phrase 'that trade' may prove that other alternatives are being pursued.

Has to be a target for the Bulls. The starting 5 would be immense!

C - Noah

PF - Boozer

SF - Deng

SG - Carter

PG - Rose

At one point I thought Bulls would win the championship last year. This year they will once again be among the favourites. Noah was a beast at the European Championships in September

Time for another one of my historic NBA moments.

Whilst most 90's kids grew up wishing they were Jordan/Young Kobe. My Idols were Vince Carter as a young Raptor, and a prolific sniper that was Reggie Miller. Despite Ray Allen breaking his all time 3 point record earlier this year, I still think Reggie was an all time best from beyond the arc.

Here's one of my most memorable all time NBA moments. Reggie the legend!

Reggie-miller-choke.jpg

aSWE_Wbu80o

Metta World Peace a.k.a Ron Artest is ready for the new season :D

Gotta love the guy for his antics off the court :D

I think the greatest bit about it is that NBA.com has to call him that on the players page.

Kind of a shame the lockout ended when it did, he was supposed to join a BBL team if it kept on going. Could have got to see him play live (I've seen LeBron James and Luol Deng live so I'll live) :D

I think the greatest bit about it is that NBA.com has to call him that on the players page.

Kind of a shame the lockout ended when it did' date=' he was supposed to join a BBL team if it kept on going. Could have got to see him play live (I've seen LeBron James and Luol Deng live so I'll live) :D[/quote']

Not that it matters but I've seen Lionel Messi from about 2 metres away (true story) :P

Not that it matters but I've seen Lionel Messi from about 2 metres away (true story) :P

Well played sir!

I have a picture of LeBron James standing a few feet away from me during the game that I snapped on my phone.

l.jpg

Also have this picture of Zydrunas Ilgauskas dunking the ball that I put on MySpace all those years ago.

l.jpg

Just a big shame I didn't have a better camera back then :(

Well played sir!

I have a picture of LeBron James standing a few feet away from me during the game that I snapped on my phone.

l.jpg

Also have this picture of Zydrunas Ilgauskas dunking the ball that I put on MySpace all those years ago.

l.jpg

Just a big shame I didn't have a better camera back then :(

Ilgauskas the Lithuanian legend! Brilliant! :D ( he had his hair there too lol! )

And here's a picture I took of Messi :P

2q21qol.jpg

Tell you something' date=' you and me combined have met some pretty impressive people! :eek::D

(Add Jenson Button and Sir Ian Botham to my list) :)[/quote']

Add the whole Lithuanian national Basketball team if you like :P Highfived every player (Linas Kleiza included :D )

46456_10150261538875156_703815155_14466615_44473.jpg

Pretty bad quality though, was rushing to take it, and did not adjust the correct settings :P

Some latest news:

Sunday, Dec 11

• Memphis Grizzlies signed guards Josh Selby and Jeremy Pargo.

• Oklahoma City Thunder signed guard Reggie Jackson.

• Charlotte Bobcats signed guard Kemba Walker.

• New York Knicks signed guards Mike Bibby, Iman Shumpert, forward Jared Jeffries and center Josh Harrellson.

• Portland Trail Blazers signed forward/center Kurt Thomas.

• Los Angeles Lakers traded forward Lamar Odom and second-round pick to the Dallas Mavericks for a first-round pick and $8.9 million trade exception.

lamar-odom.jpg

• Davis West says he has agreed to a two-year, $20 million deal to play for the Pacers.

west.jpg

• David Aldridge reports that L.A. has broken off talks for Chris Paul since Odom went to Dallas.