Sign in to follow this  
Frozy

The Official NBA Thread

Re: The Official NBA Thread

Artest is at it again. What a guy!

When a female reporter asked Metta World Peace if he was out of shape at the Lakers' practice facility Sunday, he turned to her and said, "If I showed you my abs right now, you'd probably leave your husband."

Also looks like the Bulls may be turning their attention to Rip Hamilton instead of Vince Carter. Would much rather see Vinsanity play for Chicago this season though.

One of my all time favourite ad's/promo's

YXqaqb1OB84

Anthony coming to New York last year was such a great story. I loved it :)

Lol i literally just watched that on Youtube whilst i'm doing my background research on the Knicks :D

Great vid.

Monday, Dec 12

• Chicago Bulls re-signed forward Brian Scalabrine

• Cleveland Cavaliers re-signed guard Anthony Parker. Waived forward J.P. Prince

• Dallas Mavericks re-signed forward Brian Cardinal

• Detroit Pistons waived guard Richard Hamilton

Richard_Hamilton_Detroit_Pistons_v_Charlotte_Cm7.jpg

Rip is now a free agent

• Minnesota Timberwolves signed forward Derrick Williams

• Toronto Raptors agreed to terms with guard Anthony Carter

Was a little busy over the last few days, but yes the big news these last few days is Paul joining the Clips.

I can't wait to watch Paul and Griffin on the same team. It will be an absolute madness :D

paul3.jpg

Chris Paul and Chauncey Billups, the newest Clippers

Watching the Clips is going to be like highlight reel central now with CP3 tossing the ball up for Blake. Really kind of wish they could have gotten him without dispensing of one of Gordon or the Minny pick though. They're building something potentially special there for the first time in an age and Gordon is developing into a great (if a little short) 2 guard. And that 2012 draft is stacked. Can't really complain with a core of Paul - Griffin - Jordan though, even if they're overpaying the latter and the former only has one meniscus.

As for my Magic, it's all bad news. The Jazz and The Hornets are looking very smart for accepting their fates with their superstars and trading early, especially when you compare what they got to the best package Orlando has received so far. Utah got Favors a decent trade chip in Harris and effectively Kanter to build with, New Orleans gets Gordon, Aminu and what's likely a top 5 pick for 2012, Orlando's best offer consists of Brook Lopez, Gerald Wallace, small pieces and some draft picks that likely land outside the lottery. Meanwhile despite pretty much everyone and their dog knowing that Dwight has mentally checked out of Orlando, Otis Smith goes around handing expensive(ish) extensions to people like Jason Richardson and Big Baby when it'd be smarter to blow it up and start again. If Smith somehow allows Howard to leave via free agency and the Magic gets stuck with Turk's toxic contract and nothing coming back for Dwight then they're heading toward Cleveland's epic badness last season.

Speaking of which, it feels like Mark Cuban knows something about the off-season free agent bonanza that nobody else does. I expected the Mavs to go all out to keep the championship group together, but they've let Barea and Chandler (understandably, given the Knick's monster offer) walk away then salary dumped some decent bench players in Brewer and Rudy this week for a lousy 2nd round pick. I know they picked up Odom but his contract isn't guaranteed through the 2012-13 season, I believe. What odds Howard or D-Will land in Dallas?

As a very fleeting fan who barely understands the game and only knows of the Lakers team (I follow them because they have Shaq/Kobe when I was younger),still I'm lost by the trade of Lamar Odom,from the couple of games I watch on ESPN or so I always felt he was the glue that stuck the team together,and worst of all we've traded him to the team that won the playoffs last year and got noone in return? The whole trade system really confuses me but normally you get players back or a pick in the draft and we didn't get either? I listened to a quick ESPN clip that explained we might get Dwight Howard but it sounded like a long shot to me and even so it sounds like we've sold a player before getting a replacement.

Can someone actually give me a quick summary of the trade system and how it works as well? I sort of want to try and understand Basketball a bit more as it's always interested me,but the way the do transfers over there is so different to what we do in Europe it's hard to get my head around :P.

The trade system is a very complicated thing. Here's all the techincal stuff from Wikipedia.

Trading and the salary cap

Teams below the salary cap may trade without regard to salary, as long as they don't end up more than $100,000 above the cap following a trade.

Teams above the cap (or teams below the cap but would end up more than $100,000 over the cap following a trade) cannot acquire more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary they trade away. Under the 2011 CBA, teams that remain below the cap even after the trade can acquire the lesser of 150% plus $100,000, or 100% plus $5 million, of the salary they trade away.

There is no lower limit—teams may divest themselves of as much salary as they wish in a trade.

No free agent signed in the offseason can be traded until December 15 of that year or until three months have passed (whichever comes later), a rule that prevents teams from signing free agents with the intent of using them strictly as trade fodder. For draft picks this moratorium lasts 30 days.

If a team acquires a player in a trade, they are allowed to trade that player straight-up for another individual player immediately. However, if they wish to package that player with another and make a trade, the team must wait 60 days before doing so.

The tight salary-matching rules of the 2005 CBA often required what NBA cap analysts called "trade ballast"—extra players added to a deal solely for salary matching, who would typically be waived by their new teams. Under that CBA, such players were restricted from rejoining their original teams for 30 days during the season or 20 days in the offseason. This led to what were called "wink-wink deals where players are traded with the full expectation of returning later." A notable example of such a deal occurred in the 2009–10 season, in which the Cleveland Cavaliers included Žydrūnas Ilgauskas in their trade with the Washington Wizards for Antawn Jamison. The Wizards waived Ilgauskas a week later, and he re-signed with the Cavs after the 30-day waiting period passed. Under the 2011 CBA, a player acquired in a trade and waived by his new team cannot re-sign with his original team until one year after the trade or July 1 after the expiration of his contract, whichever is sooner.

Base year compensation

Certain players in the first few months of a new contract are subject to base year compensation (BYC). The intent of BYC is to prevent teams from re-signing players to salaries specifically targeted to match other salaries in a trade (in other words, salary should be based on basketball value, not trade value). A BYC player's trade value as outgoing salary is 50% of his new salary, or his previous salary, whichever is greater. BYC applies only to players who re-sign with their previous team and receive a raise greater than 20%. It also applies only when (and as long as) the team is over the salary cap. Under the 2011 CBA, players subject to BYC cannot be traded before January 15 except in a sign-and-trade, and BYC is only applied to outgoing salary in sign-and-trade deals.

Waivers

NBA teams can release a player to the waiver wire, where he can stay for 48 hours (during the regular season). While he is on waivers, other teams may claim him, for his existing salary. If he is not claimed, he is said to have "cleared waivers", and is treated like any free agent, able to sign with any team (with the special restriction noted above for players who were traded and then waived).

Released players

Released/waived players with guaranteed contracts continue to be included in their former team's payroll. Players whose contracts are not guaranteed are included in team salary in the amount they made while they were with the team. Players on non-guaranteed "summer contracts" are not included in team salary unless they make the regular season roster.

If another team signs a released player who had a guaranteed contract (as long as the player has cleared waivers), the player's original team is allowed to reduce the amount of money they still owe the player (and lower their team payroll) by the right of set-off. This is true if the player signs with any professional team—it does not even have to be an NBA team. The amount the original team gets to set off is limited to one-half the difference between the player's new salary and a pro-rated share of the minimum salary for a one-year veteran (if the player is a rookie, then the rookie minimum is used instead).

Amnesty clause

Each team is allowed to waive a player without having their salary count toward the salary cap or luxury tax. One player can be waived prior to the start of any season through 2015–16, but each team is restricted to one "amnestied" player during that time. Only players signed prior to 2011–12 are eligible. Teams can claim an amnestied player at a reduced rate, with the waiving team responsible for paying the balance of the contract. The team with the highest bid acquires the player. If unclaimed, the player becomes a free agent. Teams over the salary cap can only acquire an amnestied player if he becomes a free agent, and the offer would be limited to the veteran's minimum contract.

Under the 2005 CBA, one player could be waived prior to the start of the 2005–06 season and not count toward the luxury tax. Unlike the 2011 CBA, the player still counted under the salary cap. The 2005 amnesty provision was derisively named the "Allan Houston Rule", but his team, the New York Knicks, used the exception on Jerome Williams.

Luxury tax

While the soft cap allows teams to exceed the salary cap indefinitely by re-signing their own players using the "Larry Bird" family of exceptions, there are consequences for exceeding the cap by large amounts. A luxury tax payment is required of teams whose payroll exceeds a certain "tax level," determined by a complicated formula, and teams exceeding it are punished by being forced to pay one dollar to the League for each dollar by which their payroll exceeds the tax level.

While most NBA teams hold contracts valued in excess of the salary cap, few teams have payrolls at luxury tax levels. The tax threshold in 2005–06 was $61.7 million dollars. In 2005–06, the New York Knicks' payroll was $124 million, putting them $74.5 million above the salary cap, and $62.3 million above the tax line, which Knicks owner James Dolan paid to the league. Tax revenues are normally redistributed evenly among non-tax-paying teams, so there is often a several-million-dollar incentive to owners not to pay the luxury tax.

The luxury tax level for the 2008–09 season was $71.15 millon. For the 2009–10 season, the luxury tax level was set at $69.92 million. The luxury tax level for the 2010–11 NBA season was $70,307,000.

The 2011 CBA instituted major changes to the luxury tax regime. The dollar-for-dollar tax provisions of the previous CBA remain in effect through the 2012–13 season. Starting in 2013–14, the tax changes to an incremental system. Tax will be assessed at different levels based on the amount that a team is over the luxury tax threshold. The scheme is not cumulative—each level of tax applies only to amounts over that level's threshold. For example, a team that is $8 million over the tax threshold will pay $1.50 for each of its first $5 million over the tax threshold, and $1.75 per dollar for the remaining $3 million. In addition, "repeat offenders", subject to additional penalties, are defined as teams that paid tax in four of the five previous seasons. As in the previous CBA, the tax revenue is divided among teams with lower payrolls. However, under the new scheme, no more than 50% of the total tax revenue can go exclusively to teams that did not go over the cap; the use of the remaining 50% has not been specified in the new agreement.

-----------------------------------

The wall of text is probably a lot to take on board. As a follower of the NBA my entire life I grew up with all the rules so it all makes sense to me.

With regards to the Odom trade, he requested it after feeling let down by being included in the potential trade for Chris Paul. The Lakers obliged because his contract was pretty pricey (he'll get nearly $9m in 2012). He's also not really integral to the team anymore because they'll play a triangle offence under Mike Brown that they didn't play under Jackson.

The salary saved will help them go for Howard which could save the Lakers in terms of them remaining a championship contender. They're an ageing team (Fisher 37, Odom was 32, Bryant 33, Metta/Artest 32 and even Gasol is 31) so need to begin their transitional period as they bring down the average age in the team.

With the number of back to back games and even back to back to back's as a result of the shortened season the older teams will struggle more so by starting now the Lakers still have a chance.

Does anyone here sign up to the NBA Game Pass? I use the NFL version and its very good and i just wanted to know what the blackout rules are and if the service is any good.

Nah mate. Why pay for NBA PASS when I know of a website that Streams it live in HD ;):P

But yeah, NBA Pass is excellent. If you pay for it, you get a lot of extras, like pausing, rewinding, recording, different angles, and what not. :)

6 more days guys :D

Nah mate. Why pay for NBA PASS when I know of a website that Streams it live in HD ;):P

But yeah' date=' NBA Pass is excellent. If you pay for it, you get a lot of extras, like pausing, rewinding, recording, different angles, and what not. :)

6 more days guys :D[/quote']

Why doesn't that surprise me :P

Sounds wicked mate, i will get signed up before the 25th :D

Excited for my Bulls tomorrow against the Lakers! Also, I'm interested to see how the Heat handle such a tight schedule. I'm wondering if they have good enough of a bench to deal with all of those back to back games and road trips.

And in the opening game of the 2011/12 NBA season the Knicks picked up a 106-104 win over the Celtics!

Carmelo Anthony poured in 37 points! :eek:

What a game, after slipping behind they pulled off a great 4th period comeback to just win the game. :D

Things are looking promising as apparently the Celtics are a very good team!

Excited for my Bulls tomorrow against the Lakers! Also' date=' I'm interested to see how the Heat handle such a tight schedule. I'm wondering if they have good enough of a bench to deal with all of those back to back games and road trips.[/quote']

I think they're deeper than last year. Certainly on the wings they're stacked. Battier is a defensive pitbull who can hit the three, keeping James Jones helps their spacing and you'd hope Miller can be healthier than last season. They've also got Haslem in much better shape, whatever Eddy Curry can offer and by all accounts Norris Cole is ready to contribute.

But sure, there are still question marks about the point and centre options. Although the former is negated by the fact they don't really need a ball handler.

What a game' date=' after slipping behind they pulled off a great 4th period comeback to just win the game. :D

Things are looking promising as apparently the Celtics are a very good team![/quote']

Still good, not great. They were missing Pierce tonight, and Green is done for the season so they had to resort to Sasha Pavlovic as a starter, which is just obscenely grim. The big three are another year older, Rondo isn't a guy you can build a (title contending) franchise around and they lack a big defensive presence in the paint since trading Perk. Sure they'll make the playoffs and maybe even win a series but they aren't serious contenders any more. Still a healthy win for the Knicks, I guess.

Miami is killing the Mavs right now. How do you go from having an elite defensive unit that probably won you the ring to having Vince Carter and Brendan Haywood on the floor to start. Ugly.

Still good' date=' not great. They were missing Pierce tonight, and Green is done for the season so they had to resort to Sasha Pavlovic as a starter, which is just obscenely grim. The big three are another year older, Rondo isn't a guy you can build a (title contending) franchise around and they lack a big defensive presence in the paint since trading Perk. Sure they'll make the playoffs and maybe even win a series but they aren't serious contenders any more. Still a healthy win for the Knicks, I guess.

Miami is killing the Mavs right now. How do you go from having an elite defensive unit that probably won you the ring to having Vince Carter and Brendan Haywood on the floor to start. Ugly.[/quote']

Cheers for the insight man, i'm a new fan to the NBA this season after Frozy boy got me interested to keep me entertained during the NFL off-season :D

I decided to follow the Knicks as i support the Giants in the NFL so i may as well keep all my American teams in the same city.

It was a great game to watch and i think Melo will be an important player for us this season. Who do you follow buddy?