It's easier managing Chelsea,Barcelona,Milan etc...

ya this thread is all about maybe managing sides such as Palermo,Ajax.PSV,you know decen clubs but aren't gonna have class squads as the one's named in the topic as an example,but what's the trick to managing these clubs? Is it getting in older players with good ratings and cheap? i.e Rivaldo,Henrik Larsson and maybe mixing with trying to find young talent that you feel will be top class,.ie Gareth Bale,Kerlon etc?? What ye think?

Re: It's easier managing Chelsea,Barcelona,Milan etc...

I used to vary my style depending on size of team but now it generally blurs for me. Basic principle for me is to never buy old quick fixes. I have never once, in hindsight, found it wise as means paying more wages and having, eventually, an asset you could struggle to sell. Now, i always try and buy players who are due an increase, old or young (better young) and then use these players to buy other assets and so on and so on. I think buying 16 year old players who are the next big thing is risky. They might not make it, or they might just take 10 years to become a 90 rated player. Far safer in my mind just to buy players who are definitely underrated, rather than those with potential to increase.

but what's the trick to managing these clubs? Is it getting in older players with good ratings and cheap? i.e Rivaldo' date='Henrik Larsson and maybe mixing with trying to find young talent that you feel will be top class,.ie Gareth Bale,Kerlon etc?? What ye think?[/quote']

Yeah i agree with gettin the older players with the not so good class teams

like i am WIGAN and we have been top of our league about 8 times this season and i'm still 1 point behind top teams and i have been buy the older players i only have NANI who is young in my team..and when my players get to old i just sell them to the lower clubs which for me has worked really well

i have a team thats doing well and have a good bank balance to its all good for me

on here people always say buy younger players but how do we know these younger players are going get a raise in the game and with the older players they play forst team football most the time and they cost a lot cheaper too

hehe i will never manage i goot team again i like to build i good team...

then that way that shows who the better managers are...lol

Interesting guys! Ya I'm managing Ajax and have just signed Rivaldo and Henrik Larsson for just over a mill,I think this is great business as they're only squad players anyway,but have the quality to come in,I have persuaded to my suprise the Chelsea manager to sell Mikel for 9mill (rt 87) but surely he is under-rated and this will turn out to be great business,I'm also looking at Freddy Adu (81),Javi Martinez of Ath Bilboa and Pato the 17 year old brazilian that Chelsea are interested in,also Gareth Bale and Rosina who I think are both under-rated..What does anybody think of my signings and players that I am looking to sign??

Think Adu is overrated, and will lose ratings until he starts trials abroad.

Was on our books for a couple of weeks not long ago, but didnt impress overly.

Javi Martinez and Mikel are players obviously on the increase scale rather than the decrease and these two would be great buys.

I agree I think he could be,maybe he will be a late developer though,as for Mikel to my surprise the Chelsea manager gave him 2 me for 9mill(I manage Ajax) and I've made a bit for Martinez..What are your thoughts on Huntelaar,Babel and Sarpong,Vanden Borre and Zapater??

Just one thing on Kerlon? What you think you think he'll make it or are there better options around his age?

However bizzare this may seem with a barcelona im sruggling lol, well i was im all good now. but i really was struggling at first. and before u lot slate me, need i say what i have done with bolton. I do agree with u mate, If you get a formation with a big club they are virtually untouchable.

I never buy old fogies, i tend to buy people only under the age of 25, and always try and bring on some top youth!

Marcelo would probably fit the bill, rumoured to be the next Roberto Carlos, who could well be on his way out soon. 87 rated at the moment I believe.

Bale has been mentioned, heard he could be getting pushed up to LM though at Spurs which would mean a change in SM too.

Going back to Soccer's post, my concern with buying oldies, selling them at a later stage and buying more oldies, is that you will find as setups continue they become more competitive and the next round of oldies will be long gone. I think in a few years, if you are still playing, you would have trouble.

Signing old guys is fine, but why bother buying someone like Larsson, who whilst having a great brief spell at Man Utd, is now unlikely to see an increase having decided to see out his career in a worse league. Some oldies I would buy, like Husin, an old CB who is back on the international scene for the Ukraine, or Max Tonetto, who has got call ups for Italy recently. Clearly old guys have their place in the game, but I wouldn't just buy them on their rating. Someone like Cafu for instance, is a bargain 92, but is likely to see a rating decrease soon so what is the point in buying him...

Well the thing is with Larsson I was short on cover for strikers,bearing this in mind surely the fact that I paid 400,000 was a good price you think? I'd rather have someone like him as cover than paying let's say 3mill on Kluivert (85) who was transfer listed,I play with one striker Huntelaar and Babel can play there,so Larsson is good back-up in my view

Well the thing is with Larsson I was short on cover for strikers' date='bearing this in mind surely the fact that I paid 400,000 was a good price you think? I'd rather have someone like him as cover than paying let's say 3mill on Kluivert (85) who was transfer listed,I play with one striker Huntelaar and Babel can play there,so Larsson is good back-up in my view[/quote']

YA no point spending loads of money on backups