Who's the best player of all time ?  

1. 1.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Who's the best player of all time ? The answer is Maradona, obviously. That said, I don't think any player who's still active should make the list. Specially if they're still 24 years old. Doesn

Re: Who's the best player of all time ? Who's the best player of all time ? Can this question really be answered? I don't think so even though it's an interesting one. In the poll there are listed w

Re: Who's the best player of all time ? yup..that was a slugfest..think it ended up with Louis vs Ali

Re: Who's the best player of all time ?

I dont need to -

Cristiano Ronaldo - 0 votes

Di Stefano - 0 votes

Platini - 0 votes

Cruyff - 1 vote

Best - 2 votes (EdMoses' date=' Narin)

And that my friend ends the debate.[/quote']

then u'd better google them to see tht all of them are way too much better than best B)

then u'd better google them to see tht all of them are way too much better than best B)

Oh dearlord - that post tells me all I need to know.

You asked me - along with everyone else - who i thought was the best player of all time. Because I and others disagree with your choice/s' date=' [u']we[/u] should go and research your choices to prove your point?

Err, how's NO with cream, a strawberry and a sparkler on top suit you. :D

You assume that :-

1. I know nothing of some of the players you have listed

or

2. That I am an idiot

or

3. I am blinkered

with no thought that it could be you in fact that is incorrect.

Even if I ignore my own OPINION ( good grief :rolleyes:) You could consider testament from other players - for instance Pele himself once dubbed Best "the greatest footballer in the world". The merits of that can be debated of course, but that alone should dictate that just, perhaps, you could acknowledge that Best would be up there with the greatest, rather than no where near their standards.

Countless websites, some more "official" than others, place George in the top ten.

I am not saying he should be regarded by all as the greatest but it makes you look rather foolish to debate the merits of a footballer that would already have more votes than 30% of your choices, combined.

Re: Respuesta: Who's the best player of all time ?

I think that although Best is a nice player' date=' all of this list (unless they follow Messi CR7 and assets) are better than Best, if we so sensitive to this list would be endless!

Bye!:D[/quote']

I agree to a point, and maybe something was lost in translation, but its not a case of being sensitive to the list - I object to the insinuation that I want Best on the list simply because I dont know enough about the 10 players chosen as "the" selection. In truth I believe Best to be amongst the best, thats all.

This same argument about who should or shouldnt be on the list invaribly makes this type of poll irrelevant.

I guess only those that agree with the choices selected should reply?

Sorry, thought this was a public forum for a minute. :rolleyes::D

I can see it's a 3 man fight between Pele, Maradona and Messi. But of the 3, without a doubt, it's Pele. I'll just tell you why. In his career he scored 760 official goals, 541 in league championships, making him the top scorer of all time. In total Pelé scored 1281 goals in 1363 games. And this man has got 3 World Cup trophies under his belt (1956 1962 and 1970). Pele also had an incredible eye for goal with deadly strike force and always glowed with confidence, even at such an early age of 16. He was good in the air and was also a good team player, often laying on assists for his team-mates. Pele’s original technique and athleticism were highly praised whilst his dribbling ability and acute passing molded him into an all-round forward and natural goalscorer. Although Maradona achieve similar goal-scoring feats to Pele: 28 goals in 40 games (during his first spell at Boca Juniors, his second spell he scored 7 goals in 31 matches); 38 goals in 58 games (Barcelona); 115 goals in 259 games (Napoli), he has only got 1 world cup trophy under his belt, despite participating in 4 of them. And as for Messi, yes he's one of the genius in the world soccer, he can score goals with his unstoppable runs where he could take out a whole defence on his own but he was a team player too. With his strength and control he could often hold up the ball against a defender whilst a team-mate made the run through where he would thread it through to them. However, I wouldnt consider him as one of the greatest of all time unless he wins a world cup trophy. Hence I would rank the 3 of them like this:

1. Pele

2. Maradona

3: Messi

*credits to wikipedia for most of the statistics.

I can see it's a 3 man fight between Pele, Maradona and Messi. But of the 3, without a doubt, it's Pele. I'll just tell you why. In his career he scored 760 official goals, 541 in league championships, making him the top scorer of all time. In total Pelé scored 1281 goals in 1363 games. And this man has got 3 World Cup trophies under his belt (1956 1962 and 1970). Pele also had an incredible eye for goal with deadly strike force and always glowed with confidence, even at such an early age of 16. He was good in the air and was also a good team player, often laying on assists for his team-mates. Pele’s original technique and athleticism were highly praised whilst his dribbling ability and acute passing molded him into an all-round forward and natural goalscorer. Although Maradona achieve similar goal-scoring feats to Pele: 28 goals in 40 games (during his first spell at Boca Juniors, his second spell he scored 7 goals in 31 matches); 38 goals in 58 games (Barcelona); 115 goals in 259 games (Napoli), he has only got 1 world cup trophy under his belt, despite participating in 4 of them. And as for Messi, yes he's one of the genius in the world soccer, he can score goals with his unstoppable runs where he could take out a whole defence on his own but he was a team player too. With his strength and control he could often hold up the ball against a defender whilst a team-mate made the run through where he would thread it through to them. However, I wouldnt consider him as one of the greatest of all time unless he wins a world cup trophy. Hence I would rank the 3 of them like this:

1. Pele

2. Maradona

3: Messi

*credits to wikipedia for most of the statistics.

To be fair, Pele was part of some incredible Brazil teams where as Maradona won the world cup in merely a decent team - if I recall they werent favourites to win in 86, wheras Brazil where clear favourites in each of Pele's three wins. Personally I think theres too much emphasis on winning the WC to determine your greatness, but simirlarly many put down Pele's acheivements at Club level because he forever played in a supposed weaker south american league whislt others achieved greatness in a much much tougher European scene. Maradona's influence on Napoli for instance was far greater than Pele's on any - club or national - team. Messi will forever fall foul of the same theory - playing in a team with two of the worlds best current midfielders diminishes his overall contibution in many eyes - it is far easier to be great in a great side, or so the theory goes. But I think most people would probably agree with your 1-2-3 choice tho.

To be fair' date=' Pele was part of some incredible Brazil teams where as Maradona won the world cup in merely a decent team - if I recall they werent favourites to win in 86, wheras Brazil where clear favourites in each of Pele's three wins. Personally I think theres too much emphasis on winning the WC to determine your greatness, but I think most people would probably agree with your 1-2-3 choice tho.[/quote']

Honestly speaking, I would only call a player a "legend" when he wins a world cup. It's serve the same logic why all of the teams would wish to play in the champions league, no one would know who you are if you are the champion of your own country. For instance, would any know whose the champion of the Singapore League? Or maybe the Malaysia League? Haha no one knows, but when you wins the world cup or the champions league, people would start saying something like: "oh manchester utd? Isnt it the team that wins the champions league? Oh isnt it the best team in europe?" Hence, I would only consider Messi as the best player of all time only when he wins the world cup.

Honestly speaking, I would only call a player a "legend" when he wins a world cup. It's serve the same logic why all of the teams would wish to play in the champions league, no one would know who you are if you are the champion of your own country. For instance, would any know whose the champion of the Singapore League? Or maybe the Malaysia League? Haha no one knows, but when you wins the world cup or the champions league, people would start saying something like: "oh manchester utd? Isnt it the team that wins the champions league? Oh isnt it the best team in europe?" Hence, I would only consider Messi as the best player of all time only when he wins the world cup.

So if Argentina had lost the final in 86 on penalties to West Germany, you would not consider him a legend?

I think the winning does help, certainly makes it clearer, but his perfomance in that world cup - scored or assisted 10 of Argentina's 14 goals in that world cup, won the golden boot, voted best player at the tournament, is what made that tournament his, maybe more than winning the actual trophy - it was the style in which he single handedly got them to the final that most impresses. He assisted a goal in the final but was largely marked out of it to be honest, they won 3-2 so could easily have returned to Argentina as runners up.

As much as there are individual greats, football is a team game and I doubt either Messi or Ronaldo will win a World Cup because their compatriots (whilst very good) aren't collectively on the same level as other nations who have plethoras of big names (though none IMO as good as the aforementioned players).

Is George Best not a footballing legend because he's from a tiny country whose other players are largely useless? Jari Litmanen was technically fantastic yet Finland have never qualified for a major competition.

As much as there are individual greats' date=' football is a team game and I doubt either Messi or Ronaldo will win a World Cup because their compatriots (whilst very good) aren't collectively on the same level as other nations who have plethoras of big names (though none IMO as good as the aforementioned players).

Is George Best not a footballing legend because he's from a tiny country whose other players are largely useless? Jari Litmanen was technically fantastic yet Finland have never qualified for a major competition.[/quote']

Exact a mundo Stu.

Greatness rises in spite of surroundings not because of it.

Could say the same for a number of players - The Gentle Giant for instance (John Charles).

So if Argentina had lost the final in 86 on penalties to West Germany' date=' you would not consider him a legend? [/b']

I think the winning does help, certainly makes it clearer, but his perfomance in that world cup - scored or assisted 10 of Argentina's 14 goals in that world cup, won the golden boot, voted best player at the tournament, is what made that tournament his, maybe more than winning the actual trophy - it was the style in which he single handedly got them to the final that most impresses. He assisted a goal in the final but was largely marked out of it to be honest, they won 3-2 so could easily have returned to Argentina as runners up.

What I'm trying to point out is that, in order to be 1 of the greatest of all time, you seriously got to win the world cup. Maradona has already proved that he's one of a kind in the club basis, and by winning the world cup, he established himself as one of a legend of all time. Hence, unless Messi starts winning the world cup like I mentioned earlier, I wouldnt said he's a legend. Anyway I dont think Argentina won the 86 world cup on penalties, I reckon they won it in the normal time?

Respuesta: Re: Respuesta: Who's the best player of all time ?

I agree to a point' date=' and maybe something was lost in translation, but its not a case of being sensitive to the list - I object to the insinuation that I want Best on the list simply because I dont know enough about the 10 players chosen as "the" selection. In truth I believe Best to be amongst the best, thats all.

This same argument about who should or shouldnt be on the list invaribly makes this type of poll irrelevant.

I guess only those that agree with the choices selected should reply?

Sorry, thought this was a public forum for a minute. :rolleyes::D[/quote']

I think this discussion here is the fact recognize the best player ever and although Best is a great player historically, players who come here unless Messi and CR7 are recognized as the best players in the history not only by the user has created this survey if it is a fact not spread throughout the world, for you Best is the best in history is respectable but for the vast majority of people the debate is between the players that come here, it's not just opinion of this person, but it is a debate that is being done in newspaper and television and although lacking many historical greats I'm sure there are many more people that do not include in this list that if you would include ...

Is my opinion;)

What I'm trying to point out is that, in order to be 1 of the greatest of all time, you seriously got to win the world cup. Maradona has already proved that he's one of a kind in the club basis, and by winning the world cup, he established himself as one of a legend of all time. Hence, unless Messi starts winning the world cup like I mentioned earlier, I wouldnt said he's a legend. Anyway I dont think Argentina won the 86 world cup on penalties, I reckon they won it in the normal time?

i was putting the thoery of penalties in to assist my question

Re: Respuesta: Re: Respuesta: Who's the best player of all time ?

I think this discussion here is the fact recognize the best player ever and although Best is a great player historically' date=' players who come here unless Messi and CR7 are recognized as the best players in the history not only by the user has created this survey if it is a fact not spread throughout the world, for you Best is the best in history is respectable but for the vast majority of people the debate is between the players that come here, it's not just opinion of this person, but it is a debate that is being done in newspaper and television and although lacking many historical greats I'm sure there are many more people that do not include in this list that if you would include ...

Is my opinion;)[/quote']

I hear ya, and your entitled to your opinion. But Best appears in in so many polls outside of the UK - Fifa, Uefa for instance - that his inclusion in a top ten is far more relevant than the dismissive approach taken here. All I am arguing is that Best should be one of the 10 selections and this is born out by the fact that there are people who would have voted for him and yet three players on the list remain voteless.

Its a mute point and one not worth labouring anymore. There is far better and more constuctive debate now happening!