Who's the best player of all time ?

Mudito

1. 1.

Respuesta: Re: Respuesta: Re: Respuesta: Who's the best player of all time ?

I hear ya' date=' and your entitled to your opinion. But Best appears in in so many polls outside of the UK - Fifa, Uefa for instance - that his inclusion in a top ten is far more relevant than the dismissive approach taken here. All I am arguing is that Best should be one of the 10 selections and this is born out by the fact that there are people who would have voted for him and yet three players on the list remain voteless.

Its a mute point and one not worth labouring anymore. There is far better and more constuctive debate now happening![/quote']

In my opinion that Di Stefano and Platini have no vote does not mean they are worse than Best (and I said no to CR7 or Messi story because until they are important not know how many have been for football). Platini is the only other player to have won the Ballon d'Or 3 times consecutively and Di Stefano is the symbol of the best team of the last century ...

Re: Who's the best player of all time ?

Can this question really be answered? I don't think so even though it's an interesting one. In the poll there are listed without a doubt 10 great football players. But there are several problems that pop up when trying to answer the question.

1. The players played in different eras
    How can this be a problem? Simply because football changed over these decades. Just watch a record of a match in the 60s or 70s for example. In Germany often the German NT in the mid 70s is called one of the best - if not the best - NT Germany ever had - spiked with names like Beckenbauer and Müller. But when I watch one of their games and when I see how much time Beckenbauer had in those times to tip on the ball and to see what his team mates are doing I hardly believe that this team would even have qualified for a WC in present.
    And just like the whole style of playing changed, the needed strengths of players also changed. Pele and di Stefano were great players in the past that scored tons of goals. But wasn't it easier to score goals in these times? Would these players also be able to score nowadays? They certainly would have to adapt their style of playing. And it certainly works the other way around, too. Messi and CR7 are incredible goal machines these days in one of the strongest leagues. But they IMO both heavily profit from their team players. Their coaches of course know that both are great players and they know how to use their strengths the right way. But both need team mates that help them to keep the speed high in the game. Team mates like Xavi, Iniesta, di Maria or Özil that can play a nice one-two in only a few seconds of time. So IMO Messi and Ronaldo couldn't have used their strengths the right way in the past as the game wasn't that fast these days.
  2. The players had different roles
    Whilst on the list I can see actually only attacking players they still aren't playing all on the same position. That makes it harder to compare them, too. An attacking midfielder like Zidane (most time) was, has a completely different function than a simple striker like Ronaldo (most time) was.
    Furthermore the fact that there are only offensive players in the list shows us that we normally tend to say that an offensive player is a better one than a defensive one. It was said before: Where is Beckenbauer in this list? Where's Lew Yashin? Or Maldini, Buffon, Kahn and many more? Maybe they are not included because the poll only has 10 options? But why isn't even one defender included? It's just because of our mind tells us that the attacking players play more beautiful. But that doesn't necessarily make them a better player. I personally would see Beckenbauer or Buffon (in his prime time) above of half of the players listed.
  3. Some of the players already has finished their career - some haven't.

Another sensible point. Messi and Ronaldo haven't finished their career so far (Thank God!). So we view their strength compared with other players on how they have done so far. But this is kind of unfair. I'm 100 % sure that 5 years ago a certain Ronaldinho would have been in this list. These times one of the best players on the planet with skills you haven't seen that often. But we all know what happened. And so he rightfully isn't on the list. But this could happen to Messi as well.

I personally would favour Zidane in this list. A great player with fantastic skills. A player that has performed on a high level until he finished his career. A player that actually seems to have a great attitude. And finally a player that leaves the big stage by headbutting a provocative IMO unlikeable player. Simply great. But I wouldn't go that far to say that he was better than others in the list. ;)

Re: Respuesta: Re: Respuesta: Who's the best player of all time ?

I hear ya' date=' and your entitled to your opinion. But Best appears in in so many polls outside of the UK - Fifa, Uefa for instance - that his inclusion in a top ten is far more relevant than the dismissive approach taken here. All I am arguing is that Best should be one of the 10 selections and this is born out by the fact that there are people who would have voted for him and yet three players on the list remain voteless.

Its a mute point and one not worth labouring anymore. There is far better and more constuctive debate now happening![/quote']

well how could i know that no one will vote for them in this forum , becoz many people outside this forum believe that they are the best

Best is good but tell me is he better than platini , di stefano , c.ronaldo ??

i chose those players based on their individual and team titles , and their performance too

i am not saying that best isn't good

but he is not better than those

i can only choose 10 nominees

and if i want to take off di stefano platini and cristiano ronaldo

Best should wait in the line because ( Franz Beckenbauer , Gerd Müller , and Lev Yashin ) are better than him

but i should only choose 10 and i chose those because it's an everyday debate who's the best ? the old generation and the new generation , both collides .

well how could i know that no one will vote for them in this forum ' date=' becoz many people outside this forum believe that they are the best

Best is good but tell me is he better than platini , di stefano , c.ronaldo ??

i chose those players based on their individual and team titles , and their performance too

i am not saying that best isn't good

but he is not better than those

i can only choose 10 nominees

and if i want to take off di stefano platini and cristiano ronaldo

Best should wait in the line because ( Franz Beckenbauer , Gerd Müller , and Lev Yashin ) are better than him

but i should only choose 10 and i chose those because it's an everyday debate who's the best ? the old generation and the new generation , both collides .[/quote']

This is exactly the point. You couldnt know, yet asked people to vote from a list of 10 names that you selected. You couldnt do anything differntly, maybe extend the number of names to choose from but to how many? you could spend the day listing footballer after footballer.

All of this does not change the fact that, so far, more people would have voted for Best than Platini, more would have voted for Best than di stefano and more would have voted for Best than C Ronaldo. They may well have done the same for Beckenabaur, Puskas, Muller etc but I will let someone else who thinks they should be on the list debate that.

So on that premise, your opinion is incorrect, Best is regarded by some as better than those players. You should not have been so dismissive of some peoples opinion so flippantly - that is my point - it annoyed me that you simply decided that my opinion did not matter, based on your opinion and ascertion that I had not compared theplayers you selected to my own preference.

A the end of the day - who cares?:D At least we know have some debate going and the thread is alive. I think we have pretty much all agreed that such a question is an impossibilty!

Ultimately this is going to come down to the three guys – Pele, Maradona and Messi and I think if we were all honest, we could have predicted that from the start.

Of those three I would have to say Maradona should win it, whilst I believe Pele to be a better all rounder and an incredible athlete – the footage of him leaping, chesting the ball, controlling it with his knee and then scissor kicking it into the top corner whislt still in the air is incredible – Maradona had that touch of lunacy and maverick that all geniuses need. Still the scorer of the greatest goal I have ever seen – his second vs England in 86 naturally.

I think if Messi can maintain the incredible levels of performance he achieves for Barca and extend that to the international scene in at least one tournament then he could well become the greatest.

But to highlight how impossible the question is, I voted Ronaldo – of all the players on the list, he is the one that I talk to my son’s about. Why? Because there is enough media coverage of him for my boy’s to devour, some of his footwork was simply incredible – he did things that others had not done before – in truth Messi and Ronaldo haven’t created their own “moves” – maybe Cristano’s free kick off the out side of his foot that dips at speed and curls the wrong way could be the exception there – but the Real Ronaldo literally shaped his own dribbling skills – whilst moving a top speed - in a way that hadn’t been done previously. The scorer of incredible goals and, as importantly, his love of the game, the joy he played with was infectious.

This is exactly the point. You couldnt know' date=' yet asked people to vote from a list of 10 names that you selected. You couldnt do anything differntly, maybe extend the number of names to choose from but to how many? you could spend the day listing footballer after footballer.

All of this does not change the fact that, so far, more people would have voted for Best than Platini, more would have voted for Best than di stefano and more would have voted for Best than C Ronaldo. They may well have done the same for Beckenabaur, Puskas, Muller etc but I will let someone else who thinks they should be on the list debate that.

So on that premise, your opinion is incorrect, Best is regarded by some as better than those players. You should not have been so dismissive of some peoples opinion so flippantly - that is my point - it annoyed me that you simply decided that my opinion did not matter, based on your opinion and ascertion that I had not compared theplayers you selected to my own preference.

A the end of the day - who cares?:D At least we know have some debate going and the thread is alive. I think we have pretty much all agreed that such a question is an impossibilty![/quote']

who said that your opinion doesn't matter , if your opinion doesn't matter i wouldn't have done this poll , or even have this conversation with you, dude your opinion and the others' opinion is so important :P

i can't put more than 10 names that's why the list witnessed the absence of many great players that should be in there

as for those my vote went to EL FENOMENO RONALDO for the same reasons tht urs went for

simply a phenom :)

Can this question really be answered? I don't think so even though it's an interesting one. In the poll there are listed without a doubt 10 great football players. But there are several problems that pop up when trying to answer the question.

1. The players played in different eras
    How can this be a problem? Simply because football changed over these decades. Just watch a record of a match in the 60s or 70s for example. In Germany often the German NT in the mid 70s is called one of the best - if not the best - NT Germany ever had - spiked with names like Beckenbauer and Müller. But when I watch one of their games and when I see how much time Beckenbauer had in those times to tip on the ball and to see what his team mates are doing I hardly believe that this team would even have qualified for a WC in present.
    And just like the whole style of playing changed' date=' the needed strengths of players also changed. Pele and di Stefano were great players in the past that scored tons of goals. But wasn't it easier to score goals in these times? Would these players also be able to score nowadays? They certainly would have to adapt their style of playing. And it certainly works the other way around, too. Messi and CR7 are incredible goal machines these days in one of the strongest leagues. But they IMO both heavily profit from their team players. Their coaches of course know that both are great players and they know how to use their strengths the right way. But both need team mates that help them to keep the speed high in the game. Team mates like Xavi, Iniesta, di Maria or Özil that can play a nice one-two in only a few seconds of time. So IMO Messi and Ronaldo couldn't have used their strengths the right way in the past as the game wasn't that fast these days.
    [*']The players had different roles
    Whilst on the list I can see actually only attacking players they still aren't playing all on the same position. That makes it harder to compare them, too. An attacking midfielder like Zidane (most time) was, has a completely different function than a simple striker like Ronaldo (most time) was.
    Furthermore the fact that there are only offensive players in the list shows us that we normally tend to say that an offensive player is a better one than a defensive one. It was said before: Where is Beckenbauer in this list? Where's Lew Yashin? Or Maldini, Buffon, Kahn and many more? Maybe they are not included because the poll only has 10 options? But why isn't even one defender included? It's just because of our mind tells us that the attacking players play more beautiful. But that doesn't necessarily make them a better player. I personally would see Beckenbauer or Buffon (in his prime time) above of half of the players listed.
  2. Some of the players already has finished their career - some haven't.

Another sensible point. Messi and Ronaldo haven't finished their career so far (Thank God!). So we view their strength compared with other players on how they have done so far. But this is kind of unfair. I'm 100 % sure that 5 years ago a certain Ronaldinho would have been in this list. These times one of the best players on the planet with skills you haven't seen that often. But we all know what happened. And so he rightfully isn't on the list. But this could happen to Messi as well.

I personally would favour Zidane in this list. A great player with fantastic skills. A player that has performed on a high level until he finished his career. A player that actually seems to have a great attitude. And finally a player that leaves the big stage by headbutting a provocative IMO unlikeable player. Simply great. But I wouldn't go that far to say that he was better than others in the list. ;)

Totally agree.

I'm baffled how people can choose Messi over Maradona. I trust that most of the voters in this poll never watched these players aside from Messi, Zidane and the Ronaldos. In that case why vote at all? Maradona had in one finger more creativity, leadership, bravery, loyalty towards the supporting crowd or community, companionship, game awareness, technique and charisma than two or three Messis combined, now matter how many titles he wins at his little nest.

t2cC12Wx0Wc

Messi will never be received like this. Wanna know why? Because he will never be the best player of all time.

Let's see him move to Tottenham, Schalke, Napoli or Gijon, turn them into league champions, make the supporters cry and spread an emotional contagion through entire cities, regions or countries.

Sure, everybody is impressed with Messi, with the things he does on the pitch. Will anyone ever cry for him? Not now, not ever.

San Paolo celebrating a goal against Italy?

LHi810lXsO0

At the age of 22, Maradona suffered a career-ending tackle from Goikoetxea.

N8_JYHtvTS8

The result was a fibula rod and two screws which reduced the mobility in his left ankle by 30%. And he was a left footer. Everything he did past that age was only at 70% of his full capacities. Unbelievable...

I'm baffled how people can choose Messi over Maradona. I trust that most of the voters in this poll never watched these players aside from Messi' date=' Zidane and the Ronaldos. In that case why vote at all? Maradona had in one finger more creativity, leadership, bravery, loyalty towards the supporting crowd or community, companionship, game awareness, technique and charisma than two or three Messis combined, now matter how many titles he wins at his little nest.

[YOUTUBE']t2cC12Wx0Wc[/YOUTUBE]

Messi will never be received like this. Wanna know why? Because he will never be the best player of all time.

Let's see him move to Tottenham, Schalke, Napoli or Gijon, turn them into league champions, make the supporters cry and spread an emotional contagion through entire cities, regions or countries.

Sure, everybody is impressed with Messi, with the things he does on the pitch. Will anyone ever cry for him? Not now, not ever.

San Paolo celebrating a goal against Italy?

LHi810lXsO0

At the age of 22, Maradona suffered a career-ending tackle from Goikoetxea.

N8_JYHtvTS8

The result was a fibula rod and two screws which reduced the mobility in his left ankle by 30%. And he was a left footer. Everything he did past that age was only at 70% of his full capacities. Unbelievable...

Ahhhhh, wont some one make Maradona - The Movie already? Seriously, Senna got one. Any ideas for the lead role ?

(apparently Marco Leonardi already played him?)

i'm baffled how people can choose messi over maradona. I trust that most of the voters in this poll never watched these players aside from messi' date=' zidane and the ronaldos. In that case why vote at all? Maradona had in one finger more creativity, leadership, bravery, loyalty towards the supporting crowd or community, companionship, game awareness, technique and charisma than two or three messis combined, now matter how many titles he wins at his little nest.

[youtube']t2cc12wx0wc

messi will never be received like this. Wanna know why? Because he will never be the best player of all time.

Let's see him move to tottenham, schalke, napoli or gijon, turn them into league champions, make the supporters cry and spread an emotional contagion through entire cities, regions or countries.

Sure, everybody is impressed with messi, with the things he does on the pitch. Will anyone ever cry for him? Not now, not ever.

San paolo celebrating a goal against italy?

lhi810lxso0

at the age of 22, maradona suffered a career-ending tackle from goikoetxea.

n8_jyhtvts8

the result was a fibula rod and two screws which reduced the mobility in his left ankle by 30%. And he was a left footer. Everything he did past that age was only at 70% of his full capacities. Unbelievable...

totally agree

George Best LOL.

Di Steffano only has 1 vote fgs, and 3 or 4 people are saying they'd have voted for Best. That would be utterly scandalous.

I was torn between Maradona, Zidane and Luiz Ronaldo. I voted for the latter, simply because he changed the whole way the role of a striker is seen in the present day. He was simply out of this world.

Hate these type of polls as the criteria varies from person to person as to what is required to be the 'best player ever'.

Also it is impossible to compare players from differenty era's correctly as they can never be genuinely compared due to the changes that occur when football evolves.

In my own opinion using the criteria to determine, for me, who is the best player ever = consistency, impact, trophies won, honours won, records, rival appreciation, era of football - I come to the conclusion that as an individual, Messi is the the 'best player ever'.

I'm baffled how people can choose Messi over Maradona. I trust that most of the voters in this poll never watched these players aside from Messi' date=' Zidane and the Ronaldos. In that case why vote at all? Maradona had in one finger more creativity, leadership, bravery, loyalty towards the supporting crowd or community, companionship, game awareness, technique and charisma than two or three Messis combined, now matter how many titles he wins at his little nest.

[/quote']

Because people are entitled to their own opinions without consulting Youtube for a dramatisation of the life and times of a player (you may as well have had Celine Dion playing in the background to set the mood) :)

People can only base their opinion on what they've seen and how they judge a players success and ability.

I voted for the reason i love football , ROnaldo one of the best and most unlucky (tortured legs:() athletes in sports' history

HE JUST CHANGED THE WAY THAT FOOTBALL WAS PLAYED

THE SICKEST MOST COMPLETE FORWARD/STRIKER EVER LIVED

He only played the half of what he could because of the damn injuries

BUT i have to confirm that this question cannot be answered, you cannot compare Pele and Di Stefano (they used to play in horrible pitches and with a ball that when it was raining it absorbed the water and weighted 3kg :D)

with Messi and Cristiano (with a perfect ball that sometimes befools the GKs and with scientists measuring everything and helping them)

Further more, my opinion is that if you have not win a WOrld National Championship (mundial) you must not been on this list

I voted for Messi.

I'm 23 and in my life time i've never seen a player like him and don't think i ever will.

Pele has a ridiculous scoring record but thats in Brazil for the most part and lets not forget everyones argument for Neymar not being that good yet is because "he needs to move to a top league". So by that reckoning Brazil is not a "top league".

Maradona was a sensational player no doubt about it and he's arguably on a par or greater than Messi is but because i cannot pretend that i've seen Maradona's whole career i dont feel i can vote for him based on a few videos i've seen of him and a few games i've seen.

That said, i still think by the time Messi retires he'll be a unanimous choice for the best ever. Baring in mind a large part of fans believe he already is and he's only 24.