Who's the best player of all time ?

Mudito

Who's the best player of all time ?  

1. 1.

Re: Who's the best player of all time ?

All of the player on this list are amazing players, however I think it is not even fair to consider messi and christiano ronaldo because they have never performed on an international level. So for people to be saying messi is the best player of all time when he doesnt even play consistently at an international level when all of the other players, excpet C.Ronaldo, have is is completely incorrect in my opinion.

I think Zidane is the best player of all time just becasue i watched him play internationally and when he played for real madrid and he was incredible.

I voted for Messi.

I'm 23 and in my life time i've never seen a player like him and don't think i ever will.

Pele has a ridiculous scoring record but thats in Brazil for the most part and lets not forget everyones argument for Neymar not being that good yet is because "he needs to move to a top league". So by that reckoning Brazil is not a "top league".

Maradona was a sensational player no doubt about it and he's arguably on a par or greater than Messi is but because i cannot pretend that i've seen Maradona's whole career i dont feel i can vote for him based on a few videos i've seen of him and a few games i've seen.

That said' date=' i still think by the time Messi retires he'll be a unanimous choice for the best ever. Baring in mind a large part of fans believe he already is and he's only 24.[/quote']

regardless of pele playing only in the brazil and which ever defenders they were, i very much doubt messi will match up to pele's cv. for starters i have doubts if he can score over 1000 professional goals in competitive games. another question mark is whether he can win even one world cup?

no doubt i see your view, messi is no doubt one of the greats but this is 'all time' including players you and i have not seen play at their prime.

so we have to base this on historic fact and because of that pele and maradona are head and shoulders above the rest.

as my uncles says you can place all the great players together from past to present, but there will be different tiers that break up this even this group of greatest players ever. and for me pele and maradona sit in the highest level tier of all time greats. you would probably put players like platini zidane vanbasten messi below those two, and then further down the tier you have the likes of henry raul etc etc in another lower tier.

just my take on this. (dont think you can really argue but put pele and maradona together head and shoulders above the rest)

personally think its a bit unfair to put players in a list that are only half way at most throught there playing career and try to judge them against players who have played there full career already, i mean messi is 24years old maybe once he has finished his playing career the choices picked will read alot differently

not taking anything away from any of the greats pele/maradona/eusebio the list is endless

but if you take the game from there generation and compare it too the game of todays generation its like comparing two different sports almost

the pace of the modern game compared to the game of pele and maradona's era has altered greatly the best way to show this easily is just look at the players makeup from "them" days to now adays the fitness/endurance levels etc and the general athleticism of players would be like sticking a championship side out against (modern day)barcelona now of course thats not saying that these players wouldn't of been stars in there own right regardless of whatever generation they graced because it could be argued that if the tools of modern football were avialble to maradona etc then it could of been a different story entirely of who we class as greats of each generation,

however saying that the player i think that affected there respective generation of footballing talent the most during there playing career was diego maradona for his time period he was unstoppable, and really imo until messi i haven't seen a player individually who is head and shoulders above everyone esle around them

basically what im saying is if we picked up maradona in his hey day and stuck him in the modern game yes he would be a talent but would he be as much as a talent as he was back then,

and on the other hand for arguements sake if we picked up say messi and sent him back to maradona's era who would be the stand out player from the two my money would be on messi even at the young age of 24

George Best LOL.

Di Steffano only has 1 vote fgs' date=' and 3 or 4 people are saying they'd have voted for Best. That would be utterly scandalous.

I was torn between Maradona, Zidane and Luiz Ronaldo. I voted for the latter, simply because he changed the whole way the role of a striker is seen in the present day. He was simply out of this world.[/quote']

Well most likely the reason is not much people on here saw him play compared to Messi and modern day footballers.

Well no need to remove a player from his era and place him in the time of his rivals. A player greatness should be reflected in his own time, the circumstances involved etc. So its really the players place in history against the odds etc. Personally I am biased towards the Argentine-although Pele was a better allround player. The reason mainly is because Pele and co. were surrounded by an awesome supporting cast while Maradona has done so much with so little-both at club and country level.

regardless of pele playing only in the brazil and which ever defenders they were' date=' i very much doubt messi will match up to pele's cv. for starters i have doubts if he can score over 1000 professional goals in competitive games. another question mark is whether he can win even one world cup?

no doubt i see your view, messi is no doubt one of the greats but this is 'all time' including players you and i have not seen play at their prime.

so we have to base this on historic fact and because of that pele and maradona are head and shoulders above the rest.

as my uncles says you can place all the great players together from past to present, but there will be different tiers that break up this even this group of greatest players ever. and for me pele and maradona sit in the highest level tier of all time greats. you would probably put players like platini zidane vanbasten messi below those two, and then further down the tier you have the likes of henry raul etc etc in another lower tier.

just my take on this. (dont think you can really argue but put pele and maradona together head and shoulders above the rest)[/quote']

I understand that but you can only give a fair opinion on players you have seen. You cannot simply say you think Pele is better than Messi purely based on a goal record and stats and a few video clips you've seen.

These polls never work because you always have to take into consideration the differences between the eras. The fitness of players in different eras etc. I had this argument about boxing not long ago. The fitness levels of players these days surpass anything in Peles era. If you put Pele into todays game would he be as good having to contend with a lot quicker defenders and stronger more athletic players? Who knows.

I cannot compare players like maradona and pele as i was not born when they were playing. From my lifetime it is Messi by a long way. I have a feeling in about 10 years when he has finished his career ( give him more time before you judge), he might be remembered as the best ever.

I understand that but you can only give a fair opinion on players you have seen. You cannot simply say you think Pele is better than Messi purely based on a goal record and stats and a few video clips you've seen.

These polls never work because you always have to take into consideration the differences between the eras. The fitness of players in different eras etc. I had this argument about boxing not long ago. The fitness levels of players these days surpass anything in Peles era. If you put Pele into todays game would he be as good having to contend with a lot quicker defenders and stronger more athletic players? Who knows.

yup..that was a slugfest..think it ended up with Louis vs Ali :D

If i went off the fore mentioned list i would choose between Maradona and Pele, Best was unreal, and i would like to put a different slant on this. People going on saying could players like Best and Pele cut it in the modern game? Now could players like Messi and Ronaldo cut it in there era? Pitches as even as the moon, kicking a medicine ball around in boots more tailored for a pit man, so many pros and cons for the modern game as well as the older era. However modern players would not have coped with the old school "hatchet man" like Jimmy Case for example.

I personally loved Brazil in the 80's, purely as that was the era i was young child, Zico, Socrates and Falcao!!!! awesome. Zico is one of my favourite players of all time however, and a debate on players could run forever and a day.

Maradona.

Pele did it for the NT with far better players around him. Maradona pretty much won the tournament in 86 by himself.

It's no surprise the only people saying George Best are Man United fans. I don't think I have ever heard someone say George Best is better than Maradona or Pele without being a Man United fan. Saying that Best should still be in the poll.

Messi and C Ronaldo shouldn't be in the poll until they finish their careers. Either of them could give up on football tomorrow and play texas hold em poker, unlikely, but we can't possibly evaluate half careers against complete ones.

Messi' date='CR.Ronaldo off...Rivaldo and George Best on.

Easily.

What did Messi and ronaldo so far?Scored a few goals and won an UCL trophy?

International....[/quote']

Lol you silly silly boy.

Messi and Ronaldo between them have 4 Champions Leagues winners medals, more than 10 league titles and god knows how many domestic cups.

What have they done? Lol.

That being said, i wouldn't even have 10 people in this poll. I could have told you it would come down to Pele, Maradona and Messi.

Messi' date='CR.Ronaldo off...Rivaldo and George Best on.

Easily.

What did Messi and ronaldo so far?Scored a few goals and won an UCL trophy?

International....[/quote']

u're right , we share the same opinion '' but i would put gerd muller or beckenbauer rather than putting george best coz he's not as gd as those were even at international competitions

but i put messi and ronaldo only for one reason , (although i don't like it )

it's an everyday debate that those two had surpassed these legends ( i deff don't agree)so i wanted to see wht are ur opinions ? and who thinks so ??

u understand what i am saying :P

Lol you silly silly boy.

Messi and Ronaldo between them have 4 Champions Leagues winners medals' date=' more than 10 league titles and god knows how many domestic cups.

What have they done? Lol.

That being said, i wouldn't even have 10 people in this poll. I could have told you it would come down to Pele, Maradona and Messi.[/quote']

I respect your opinion is your opinion.

Mine is mine.Messi DIDNT something special to be in the same top with Zizou AND Zico,Muller,Rivaldo arent there.

U should added a 10th options: Other players but just to not put Ronaldo and Messi names on that top.They dont deserve it.

EDIT: Even KLOSe deserve to be in that top over Messi and Ronaldo.His close to reach the record (even if will not happ) but he's still close and thats mean something.

Mine is mine.Messi DIDNT something special to be in the same top with Zizou AND Zico' date='Muller,Rivaldo arent there.

U should added a 10th options: Other players but just to not put Ronaldo and Messi names on that top.They dont deserve it.[/quote']

I understand what you mean, don't get me wrong. It's just the way you say things sometimes.

I wouldn't personally put C.Ronaldo on this list because Messi is better than C.Ronaldo so if Messi is better, how can C.Ronaldo be the best ever?

In terms of International honours, it's not really fair to compare Pele and Messi because Pele had some of the greatest ever International teams around him to help him win world cups.

If Messi was Spanish, he'd be considered the greatest ever by a long way already because of winning International trophies but unfortunately he was born as an Argentine, who apparently cannot develop defenders.

That said, Maradona pretty much won the '86 tournament on his own.

Theres so many things to take into consideration, it's just impossible to decide.

EDIT: MUTD, you just lost all validity in any debate by claiming Miroslav Klose should be ahead of Messi in a 'greatest ever' poll.

Mine is mine.Messi DIDNT something special to be in the same top with Zizou AND Zico' date='Muller,Rivaldo arent there.

U should added a 10th options: Other players but just to not put Ronaldo and Messi names on that top.They dont deserve it.

EDIT: Even KLOSe deserve to be in that top over Messi and Ronaldo.His close to reach the record (even if will not happ) but he's still close and thats mean something.[/quote']

u're right , we share the same opinion '' but i would put gerd muller or beckenbauer rather than putting george best coz he's not as gd as those were even at international competitions

but i put messi and ronaldo only for one reason , (although i don't like it )

it's an everyday debate that those two had surpassed these legends ( i deff don't agree)so i wanted to see wht are ur opinions ? and who thinks so ??

u understand what i am saying

Thing is guys there are any amount of players, whose names can be thrown into the hat, Platini is in there but would he have been the same player if Dominique Rocheteau wasn't there to assist him on the international scene? behind most great players are great players around them. What makes players stand out is that individuality, that something different that "Je ne sais quoi" a lot of the players in the list, IMO dont have that, whereas a lot of players not in the list i believe have these traits.

i mean iain dowie is not even in there :P

Maradona.

Pele did it for the NT with far better players around him. Maradona pretty much won the tournament in 86 by himself.

It's no surprise the only people saying George Best are Man United fans. I don't think I have ever heard someone say George Best is better than Maradona or Pele without being a Man United fan. Saying that Best should still be in the poll.

Messi and C Ronaldo shouldn't be in the poll until they finish their careers. Either of them could give up on football tomorrow and play texas hold em poker' date=' unlikely, but we can't possibly evaluate half careers against complete ones.[/quote']

How very dar you! Im Liverpool through and through. Actually pains me that Best played for United.

Are you a United fan? I only ask cos you say Best should be in there too!

Best player of all time must of won the world cup at least once something messi or ronaldo will never do.

So if a player is born in New Zealand, South Africa, China, etc... (no offence to these countries, but they won't win a world cup in a million years unless the whole team becomes world class) and has a magnificent talent that he displays at club level he cannot be regarded as the best because he will never win the world cup? :rolleyes:

So if a player is born in New Zealand' date=' South Africa, China, etc... (no offence to these countries, but they won't win a world cup in a million years unless the whole team becomes world class) and has a magnificent talent that he displays at club level he cannot be regarded as the best because he will never win the world cup? :rolleyes:[/quote']

I don't get why people say use this as an argument, after all it is only 7 games and the world cup can make players look good, look at El Hadji Diouf.