Who's the best player of all time ?

Who's the best player of all time ?  

1. 1.

Re: Who's the best player of all time ?

I don't get why people say use this as an argument' date=' after all it is only 7 games and the world cup can make players look good, look at El Hadji Diouf.[/quote']

It sure can make them look good, but that's not the point is it? The point is the minnows will never win the world cup, it's not a video game. If a massive talent isn't fortunate enough to be born in Spain, Brazil, France etc and win the world cup, it doesn't rule him out as a contender to be the best player ever.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Who's the best player of all time ? The answer is Maradona, obviously. That said, I don't think any player who's still active should make the list. Specially if they're still 24 years old. Doesn

Re: Who's the best player of all time ? Who's the best player of all time ? Can this question really be answered? I don't think so even though it's an interesting one. In the poll there are listed w

Re: Who's the best player of all time ? yup..that was a slugfest..think it ended up with Louis vs Ali

I understand what you mean' date=' don't get me wrong. It's just the way you say things sometimes.

I wouldn't personally put C.Ronaldo on this list because Messi is better than C.Ronaldo so if Messi is better, how can C.Ronaldo be the best ever?

In terms of International honours, it's not really fair to compare Pele and Messi because Pele had some of the greatest [i']ever[/i] International teams around him to help him win world cups.

If Messi was Spanish, he'd be considered the greatest ever by a long way already because of winning International trophies but unfortunately he was born as an Argentine, who apparently cannot develop defenders.

That said, Maradona pretty much won the '86 tournament on his own.

Theres so many things to take into consideration, it's just impossible to decide.

EDIT: MUTD, you just lost all validity in any debate by claiming Miroslav Klose should be ahead of Messi in a 'greatest ever' poll.

Messi have one of the best teams if we look at names: Aguero,Cambiasso,Samuel,Di Maria.At least Klose have 14 goals and Ronaldo(real one) have 16....close to hit the record I dont remember the exactly number of goals I may be wrong but Klose is still close.

Maradona.

Pele did it for the NT with far better players around him. Maradona pretty much won the tournament in 86 by himself.

It's no surprise the only people saying George Best are Man United fans. I don't think I have ever heard someone say George Best is better than Maradona or Pele without being a Man United fan. Saying that Best should still be in the poll.

Messi and C Ronaldo shouldn't be in the poll until they finish their careers. Either of them could give up on football tomorrow and play texas hold em poker' date=' unlikely, but we can't possibly evaluate half careers against complete ones.[/quote']

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/4309502.stm

Think that article pretty much sums up why Best will never be considered the greatest player of all time. Great shame really, had Best had the same coaching to deal with both matters on and off the field like Messi and Ronaldo have nowadays - it makes you think how good he actually could have been. (same can be said for Maradona).

Personally, I hate these polls. I don't think there is anyway of ever saying who is the greatest and never will be. How can you compare the likes of Beckenbauer with Pele? Its interesting that defenders will never get credited the same way that forward minded players do.

Perhaps the thread should be renamed 'Who's the best attacking player of all time ?'. ;)

How can you compare the likes of Beckenbauer with Pele? Its interesting that defenders will never get credited the same way that forward minded players do.

Strongly agree. For his position Lev Yashin was the greatest player ever, but he will never be considered to be the best because he was only a goalie... :(

Respuesta: Re: Who's the best player of all time ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/4309502.stm

Think that article pretty much sums up why Best will never be considered the greatest player of all time. Great shame really' date=' had Best had the same coaching to deal with both matters on and off the field like Messi and Ronaldo have nowadays - it makes you think how good he actually could have been. (same can be said for Maradona).

Personally, I hate these polls. I don't think there is anyway of ever saying who is the greatest and never will be. How can you compare the likes of Beckenbauer with Pele? Its interesting that defenders will never get credited the same way that forward minded players do.

Perhaps the thread should be renamed 'Who's the best attacking player of all time ?'. ;)[/quote']

I say this only because it's British media of the best players who have played there, outside of England very few people think should be there, but this is really good English forum, it is normal that you ask, but I still think not deserves to be named the best player ever but I do not deny that a historic course in football ...

Re: Respuesta: Re: Who's the best player of all time ?

I say this only because it's British media of the best players who have played there' date=' outside of England very few people think should be there, but this is really good English forum, it is normal that you ask, but I still think not deserves to be named the best player ever but I do not deny that a historic course in football ...[/quote']

totally agree

Strongly agree. For his position Lev Yashin was the greatest player ever' date=' but he will never be considered to be the best because he was only a goalie... :([/quote']

See this is another debate that could start, as i rate Gordon Banks and Dino Zoff higher than Yashin, problem with poles like this is that its each persons individual opinion, subsequently making such poles fascinating yet nonsensical at the same time.

See this is another debate that could start' date=' as i rate Gordon Banks and Dino Zoff higher than Yashin, problem with poles like this is that its each persons individual opinion, subsequently making such poles fascinating yet nonsensical at the same time.[/quote']

Banks/Zoff/Kahn come close second for me. Yashin has been voted as the goalkeeper of the century with a major majority of the votes and not without a reason I would think :)

Banks/Zoff/Kahn come close second for me. Yashin has been voted as the goalkeeper of the century with a major majority of the votes and not without a reason I would think :)

i do understand what you are saying, but who are the people that voted in this poll it wasn't done in Russia by any chance was it? only joking.

Again the point i am making is polls, to be fair would have to be done by, lets say for arguments sake 50 ex professional footballers from each era that the respective players in the poll played in, vote on there favourite player, couple that with picking lets say the top twenty countries in world football to then choose which ex pros they want to use from each era to cast there votes.

Would this make things more democratic and fair?

Wow' date=' get out.[/quote']

really ?? do u think he was better than any of the above ??

def u r a man utd fan , if u think so

with all repect to man utd fans and to george best

he was good but not as those guys ,these are by miles better than him i can't even compare him to anyone of them

really ?? do u think he was better than any of the above ??

def u r a man utd fan ' date=' if u think so

with all repect to man utd fans and to george best

he was good but not as those guys ,these are by miles better than him i can't even compare him to anyone of them[/quote']

I think we have all agreed to disagree on this one, I and others do believe Best was better than some on the list and I am as far removed from a United fan as you could wish for.

But its all a nonsense - he isnt on the list, the reasons are irrelevant. You would be best (sorry!) to ignore any further comment, Mudito, as your reply will only spark up the argument again and there's been much more productive chat about the Messi's, Maradona's and Peles's of the list. You've dealt with this already I feel.

Can we just forget the George Best debate now - from both sides.

110 voters is some going aint it!

When are you closing the thread mate as I have an idea put wont post it until your satisfied this is over.